News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:40:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Open Forum / Re: ANZAC DAY
« Last post by qaz049 on April 29, 2024, 01:46:02 AM »
There's an ANZAC connection to my father. He was stationed on Palawan, P.I., flying B-25's, mostly against Japanese shipping. They got a call from an Aussie commander (British, of course) pleading for air support as they had been trying to take a mountain pass in Borneo. With the three previous attacks being costly in casualties, they finally called someone. Dad's and two other B-25 crews took off to see what they could do, with ol' Dad being the lead plane/mission commander. They flew over at high altitude, so as to appear oblivious to the Japanese defenders, and made their plan.

The plan was rather strange. They feathered their props and idled the engines, gliding down the slope in relative silence, one behind the other. And, they got lucky, because they arrived and attacked as the evening meal was being served. Rifles neatly stacked in the usual conical method. The B-25's straffed and bombed and flew away into the sunset, with no munitions left. Three days later, they got a message from the Aussie troops that they took the pass without opposition. If you know what mountain pass that would have been, I'd be interested. I haven't been able to figure it out. Malaysia now.  H^^ Steve

This is the closest I can find on the Borneo action in 1945. The tactics you describe were pretty much general Allied practice in that time frame. One story I'm familiar with that a friend's RAAF father got a DFC for a glide bombing raid on a Japanese Airfield at about 2am on the morning of a nearby planned Allied Landing. He glided a PBY-5 at 50' over the main dispersal area and dropped four bombs on all the armed and gassed up aircraft. They could see the glow of the fire at 50 mile distance.

[begin quote]
 Labuan–Brunei Bay, on the north-west coast of Borneo, was the scene of landings on 10 and 16 June 1945 which formed the second phase of the Allies’ campaign to seize the island from the Japanese. The operation, codenamed ‘Oboe 6’, was conducted by the 9th Australian Division commanded by Major-General George Wootten—less the 26th Brigade which was still engaged at Tarakan (q.v.)—and involved a total of more than 29,000 men. The objective of the invasion force was to secure the ground needed for an advanced fleet base to be established, and also to protect oil and rubber-producing facilities in the area. On the morning of 10 June, following a heavy air and naval bombardment, the 24th Brigade (2/28th and 2/43rd battalions) was put ashore on the southern end of Labuan Island in the entrance to Brunei Bay. At the same time the 20th Brigade was landed on the southern edge of the bay—the 2/17th Battalion securing a beach-head at Brunei Bluff on the mainland of Borneo itself, just north of the town of Brooketon; the 2/15th seizing the small Muara Island close by. The enemy had retired to defensive positions away from the beach-front, so there was no opposition to any of these landings; Muara was quickly found to be ungarrisoned by the enemy anyway.

On Labuan, the town and airfield were both secured by dusk at a cost of only a few casualties to steadily increasing Japanese resistance. When the Australians pressed their attack over the next two days, however, the surviving Japanese withdrew into a stronghold dug into a tangle of jungle-covered ridges on the edge of a mangrove swamp little more than a kilometre west of the airfield. Realising that a full-scale attack would be needed to subdue the enemy resisting in what became known as ‘The Pocket’, a five-day barrage was laid down before infantry and tanks advanced on 15 June. After only a few posts were taken, but two tanks damaged by the defenders, it was decided to continue the bombardment before making a further attempt. In addition to artillery, gunfire from the Australian cruiser Shropshire and aerial bombing was also brought to bear. On 21 June two companies again assaulted The Pocket, supported by tanks (some with flamethrowers). About 180 Japanese were killed in the attack, bringing to 389 the number of enemy dead since the Labuan landing; Australian dead numbered 34. [end quote]

Clark, Chris. The Encyclopaedia of Australia's Battles (p. 252). Allen & Unwin. Kindle Edition.
Open Forum / Re: THANK YOU to Perry Rose...
« Last post by Luke N. on April 29, 2024, 12:48:09 AM »
Which issue of Model Aviation, month, year.
I looked through the last 5 issues and couldn't find it.

Luke
Open Forum / Re: Balanced turning questions
« Last post by Motorman on April 28, 2024, 11:18:25 PM »
If you have 1-5/8 up and down with 1" flaps both ways that means you did a good job on the controls. The fact it travels more down at full lock doesn't mean anything. It would turn better on the outsides if it did but you're not going full lock either way.

If you shorten the push rod it will give you more lift for the insides wich would seem to the opposite of what you need but, I think most planes are set up to have level elevator with the flaps hanging slightly down. It helps you groove in level flight is my understanding and all my planes are set up that way.

Most planes have  a tiny bit of positive incidence in the stab because the opposite would cause allot of problems. If you tried to get it to zero you may infact have up elevator built in. Hope not.

I have fixed several planes that had uneven turning problems by adjusting the thrust line. Make some thin brass shim stock washers to put under the engine bearers. Pretty much an instant fix.

I don't use line offset to adjust my handle but I do have a way to set neutral that works for me. Before take off hold the handle where neutral feels natural to you and hold it there as the plane takes off. If it hugs the ground shorten the up line, if it jumps up too quick shorten the down line.

Good luck, hope you don't have to cut into it.

MM 8)
« Last post by John Miller on April 28, 2024, 10:06:25 PM »
As best I can measure, everything is 0-0-0. My Robart incidence meters both want to stick a bit on that last half degree or so. Usually lightly tapping the meter will settle it halfway close. The plane flies very well though both inside and outside loops, tracking very good. It’s the square corners and sharp exits of maneuvers that really stand out. Insides really turn very tight and crisp. Outsides just kind of mush through. Second corner of the hourglass seems fine but the outside exit of the first half of the wingover on the very first flight just mushed as did subsequent wingovers. The next corner of the wingover(from inverted to vertical) didn’t seem too bad though.
I may try some down thrust next time out. May also go ahead and cut into it and adjust the pushrod. Weather doesn’t look promising anytime soon though.
There is also the possibility that it is purely a perspective issue on my part. I’ve had several SV11 ARFs, both electric and glow. They all seem to turn better insides than outsides.

Matt

Greetings Matt. It troubles me to hear that you have, as close as you can measure, 0-0-0 incidence. I just checked the original CAD files that were supplied to RSM for the kit. You should be getting 1 to 2 degrees of downthrust as that is what the plane was designed with. Did you use the parts, (formers) supplied with the kit. The thrust line is established with the engine crutch being built as designed. The side view of the nose shows the downthrust but doesn't call it out. It is clear though that the mounting beams are angled down slightly.

Now, that may not be the reason you are experience the turning differences you site.

I think we all, or at least I can say I, try to build my planes to tolerances that are almost impossible to reach given the methods and materials we use. It's a good goal to build and align our model as accurate as possible. I've caught myself trying to maintain + or - .005 tolerances. Even when built using really good jigs, with the way our wood swells and twists throughout its service life, that kind of precision, that tight of a tolerance, is always a moving target.

This truth came to me in a head slap moment when I saw Trians beautiful "Revolutions", molded carbon fiber precision-built model, fly essentially still in trim, after having a new nose and wing replaced after a mishap.
The above information is not given to discourage anyone from building as accurately as they can.
It's also one of the answers why most airplanes built as close to identical to a previous one, usually winds up with different trim solutions. Good pilots have told me that identical designs just aren't identical in real life. I think it's our material and building methods.

All that was to get my feelings for the "Why for" and possibly a good solution, for your problem, unequal turns.

In my opinion, you need to make the elevator pushrod shorter. How much? Well, until the turns are equal. I don't believe the engine thrust line is the dominate force causing the problem. The downthrust is called for in the design, but many model planes have been successfully trimmed for competitions with 0-0-0 incidence. You can give Gordan Delaney, the designer a call. He will likely give you much the same, but possibly better help than I've tried to give you.

I really hope you get it trimmed out. I can only speak to the one I have. It's a sweetheart.
« Last post by Steve Helmick on April 28, 2024, 09:26:54 PM »
If it's easy, try a little downthrust. If that doesn't get it done, adjust the elevator pushrod shorter.

Many years ago, a club member built a really nice Brodak Profile Cardinal. It didn't fly all that well, and I got pressured into flying it, which I didn't really want to do. But I did, and I think a few insides and outsides made me not want to fly any more tricks. Upon landing, I suggested 1/2 turn on the elevator pushrod (to give a wee bit of down relative to flaps). One more flight and it flew so much different, I was impressed and did some triangles. At that time, I still wasn't doing the full pattern. What I learned is that it doesn't take a big adjustment to make a huge difference. I'd cut that silkspan hatch out, adjust it and cover the hole with the piece of silkspan and clear packaging tape.  y1 Steve
Open Forum / THANK YOU to Perry Rose...
« Last post by Steve Helmick on April 28, 2024, 09:10:05 PM »
...for sending a picture of his modified Twister to MODEL AVIATION. If you missed it, the pic is in "Focal Point" where they show pics of AMA members models. Very few published of CL and FF models. We really ought to make an effort to change that!  S?P Steve
Open Forum / Re: Stalker 61 - model size / wing area
« Last post by Steve Helmick on April 28, 2024, 09:02:52 PM »
Alan Resinger flew several Stalker .61's in a .46-sized Gypsy. You might ask him or Chris Cox for opinions. Alan and Chris both then switched to electrons and Alan's flying improved a lot, IMO due to better line tension with electro.  y1 Steve
« Last post by Steve Helmick on April 28, 2024, 08:55:18 PM »
There's an ANZAC connection to my father. He was stationed on Palawan, P.I., flying B-25's, mostly against Japanese shipping. They got a call from an Aussie commander (British, of course) pleading for air support as they had been trying to take a mountain pass in Borneo. With the three previous attacks being costly in casualties, they finally called someone. Dad's and two other B-25 crews took off to see what they could do, with ol' Dad being the lead plane/mission commander. They flew over at high altitude, so as to appear oblivious to the Japanese defenders, and made their plan.

The plan was rather strange. They feathered their props and idled the engines, gliding down the slope in relative silence, one behind the other. And, they got lucky, because they arrived and attacked as the evening meal was being served. Rifles neatly stacked in the usual conical method. The B-25's straffed and bombed and flew away into the sunset, with no munitions left. Three days later, they got a message from the Aussie troops that they took the pass without opposition. If you know what mountain pass that would have been, I'd be interested. I haven't been able to figure it out. Malaysia now.  H^^ Steve
« Last post by Air Ministry . on April 28, 2024, 08:06:57 PM »
The Australian and New Zealand Army Corps was originally a First World War army corps of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. It was formed in Egypt in December 1914, and operated during the Gallipoli campaign.

In December, the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC), under Lieutenant General William Birdwood, was formed to command both the AIF and NZEF components.

totalitarianism .

The first time the Japanese advance was halted was at Kokoda  All the trained troops had gone to the middle east ,
so new recruit farm boys were sent. Which was just as well , as they could shoot .Essentially , at ' the front ' a shoot out , battle off attrition .

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-the-Japanese-stop-advancing-along-the-Kokoda-trail

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Advertise Here