News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:38:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
New electronic technology / Managing Molicel P28A 18650 batteries
« Last post by Matt Brown on Yesterday at 12:56:50 PM »
Over the last few months I have converted my SV11 arf from a 4S lipo system to a 6S 18650 setup. Motor runs much cooler at same rpm and prop(different motor but same size, different KV) and the 6S battery is a full 3oz lighter than the lipo battery I was using. I’ve been flying electric on lipos for about 20 years. Only the last 5 or so on CL stunt. I have good grasp on Lipo handling and management but not so much with these newer high rate 18650 cells. Can anyone share their thoughts on these batteries. I’ve been playing it safe so far only charging to 4.1 volts per cell and I’m only running them down to about 3.6/3.7 volts per cell(resting voltage).
I was very regimented on Lipos as I ruined my share in the early days of their use. I’d rather not abuse my 18650s. Are you doing storage charges? Limiting how long you leave a pack fully charged? Any other tidbits you can offer?

Thanks, Matt
Open Forum / Re: Balsa Safari
« Last post by Dave_Trible on Yesterday at 12:42:19 PM »
I just had the same experience as Bob.  I hit the local Hobby Lobby about once a month. (Wish I knew their restocking schedule!) Their prices only *border* on outrageous and the manager has been more than willing to discount damaged sheets.  I got a sheet of 5lb 1/4x 4" with a corner damaged for $.95 and on another occasion two sheets of nice 6lb 1/16 for $.50 each.  Cap strips and wingtips for Endgame IV for $1.95.

It is rare that they get wood in that light.  Normally it is 7-8lb.  They had more undamaged sheets of 1/4" at around $11.00 but I didn't need.  We have three known Hobby Lobby scroungers that I know of so I passed it on.

Ken

Oh, one thing that amazes me about them is that they routinely have several hangers full of Bob Smith CA Accelerator and de-bonder which is great except that they do not carry CA Cement.   I have brought that to their attention and they told me that they, as store managers, have no input as to what they carry are not allowed to pass on things like that to the buyers.  And I thought Stunt fliers were crazy....
Stunt fliers ARE crazy.....We can be pretty loopy at times.
« Last post by Ken Culbertson on Yesterday at 12:00:58 PM »
I just had the same experience as Bob.  I hit the local Hobby Lobby about once a month. (Wish I knew their restocking schedule!) Their prices only *border* on outrageous and the manager has been more than willing to discount damaged sheets.  I got a sheet of 5lb 1/4x 4" with a corner damaged for $.95 and on another occasion two sheets of nice 6lb 1/16 for $.50 each.  Cap strips and wingtips for Endgame IV for $1.95.

It is rare that they get wood in that light.  Normally it is 7-8lb.  They had more undamaged sheets of 1/4" at around $11.00 but I didn't need.  We have three known Hobby Lobby scroungers that I know of so I passed it on.

Ken

Oh, one thing that amazes me about them is that they routinely have several hangers full of Bob Smith CA Accelerator and de-bonder which is great except that they do not carry CA Cement.   I have brought that to their attention and they told me that they, as store managers, have no input as to what they carry are not allowed to pass on things like that to the buyers.  And I thought Stunt fliers were crazy....
« Last post by john e. holliday on Yesterday at 11:27:53 AM »
Yes it pays to look around any store that has arts and crafts.   I too picked up on sheets that had a little damage and got a discount.  I have piked up glue bottles and other stuff you don't find in the local hobby shop. D>K
Open Forum / Re: Help with positioning WWII wing insignia
« Last post by Rusty on Yesterday at 11:24:22 AM »
This looks to me like it is 90 degrees to fuselage.   What do you think?
The diagram shows mounting location on a profile. I'd imagine a full fuse ship would be the same. So essentially, locating the device isn't as critical say as with an active timer ?
« Last post by Dave_Trible on Yesterday at 10:44:43 AM »
There is only one within reasonable distance from me these days but I also have gotten lucky there with a few good balsa finds.   I also get basswood strips there for flap and elevator trailing edges (keeps the knicks and dents down).   I get knife blades,  copper tubing,  some epoxy,  stencils, ink line pens and all sorts of goodies there when they can't be found elsewhere.  It's where you go to pick up one thing and drop $$ before you leave.

Dave
Open Forum / Re: Help with positioning WWII wing insignia
« Last post by Rusty on Yesterday at 10:42:50 AM »

The best way I can explain it and according to the several drawings already sent to you, the center line of the insignia needs to be perpendicular to the center line of the airplane.  Since this is not a totally scale model, the best way to position the fore and aft location, center the insignia between the leading edge of the wing and the aileron leading edge.  The location from the tip of the wing would probably look best or OK  and according to the drawings you showed would be to center the insignia between the wing tip and the outside line of the invasion stripes.

Just my 2 cents worth based a bit of building/finishing scale and semiscale models.

Keith

Thank you. 

So you're saying to center the insignia between the invasion strip and the wing tip.  Okay.

I don't get how you are saying to center the insignia between the wing width.  Are you saying to measure between the leading edge and the leading edge of the aileron and center it on each side?   I made a yellow line to show what edge I am talking about.

« Last post by Dan McEntee on Yesterday at 09:10:12 AM »
   You're kind of late to the party Bubba!! That's been SOP for me as long as Hobby Lobby has been around these parts. I know where they all are around town and work in a visit if my routine takes me near one. I have found other good deals there also on occasion and well worth a quiet walk around the toy, art and crafts departments. Revell is known for plastic models, but they also ventured into the dime store glider and rubber powered airplane market for a while. Hobby Lobby carried those for a while and one summer they put them on clearance for a $1 a piece for the larger rubber airplane. They are ugly as sin, but were made from excellent grade balsa and flew way better than most Guillow's dime store airplanes do right out of the bag. I loaded up on them at that price. They don't spoil sitting on the shelf you know!! Hobby Lobby used to put a 40% off coupon in the local paper every Sunday in their full page ad, but in this day and age that went by the way side a long time ago !!

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
Open Forum / Balsa Safari
« Last post by Bob Hunt on Yesterday at 08:59:27 AM »
Even though I have probably enough good, light balsa to get me to the "finish line," I'm always on the lookout for more. Can you relate...? (Actually my son, Robby refers to the balsa supply here as "his inheritance.")

I just returned from a "honey-do" trip to the local mall, and after getting what Marianne wanted (dish clothes and shower curtains...) I went into the Hobby Lobby store. I very often go there in search of the odd light piece of balsa. Imaging my surprise when I found several really great sheets of wood. More surprising was the fact that a couple of the sheets had some very minor damage to one edge and the manager (I guess) was more than happy to mark the prices on those pieces down significantly (try from $7.00 to $1.47). The damage was very minimal and the vast majority of the sheets in question can be used. Nice find!

So, the moral is, if you are out shopping and there is a Hobby Lobby store near where you go, stop in and check out the balsa bin; you might find a gold mine of light wood, and you just might get a discount on some of it.

Note: I also check the local Michaels from time to time for light balsa, but in recent years the pickings there have been slim.

Happy Safari-ing - Bob Hunt
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Advertise Here