News:

• May 14, 2024, 01:51:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Northwest Regionals  (Read 18298 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Northwest Regionals
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »
I was wishing I could have been there.

Randy, you need to learn how to ask for time off.  Jeeze.  "Hey boss, I'm going to be out from the 23rd to the 26th.  Should I come back?"
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »
     Pete Peterson won the Overall Stunt Champ trophy with second place finishes in both Old Time and Classic. 
     I noticed a low score for Robert Harness on his second round Classic flight and asked him what happened?  He told me that the forward motor on his Two Bits stopped running due to a poor connection.  He said that the rear motor does most of the work anyway and could have probably finished the pattern.  Wanting to make sure he returned home with his cool model he opted out.
Mike

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2013, 05:20:12 PM »
    Alan Resinger won the concours (pilot's choice) with his gorgeous Crossfire.

Not as shown in the above picture, though.  The added bling of vortex generators put the Crossfire over the top:
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
     Classic was well, Classic!  Jim led Pete after the first round by 1 point I think.  The second round Pete put up a flight (a really good one) to pull ahead by one more.  Jim went up last and edged him out.  Good friends and really good competitors, fun to watch. 
     In case you forget what they, the models look like here they are.  Both gorgeous!  Ateryx is powered by PA .51 and Pete's Caprice pulled along with an Aero Tigre .36.
Mike

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
I wanted to give a great big thanks to all my fellow fliers who were kind enough to vote the new Crossfire the Concours trophy.  It is indeed an honor to be included in the list of winners that include Granderson, Aron, and Perry.  The line-up of outstanding models at this years Reagionals was impressive to say the least.
This years competition had to be the toughest conditions I've ever flown in.  Talking with some of the other Expert fliers, most agreed that they had never had tougher conditions to fly in.  It wasn't the wind, which would have been manageable it was the rolling turbulence that was constantly moving in every possible direction.  Anything above 45 degrees was a crapshoot.  Fitz and I were talking and he said he only once before felt conditions that bad.  Ted Fancher judged and said he'd never seen so many known good planes get the crap beat out of them like it did on Sunday.  It was survival mode.  Only seven fliers out of 19 experts chose to fly the second round.  I remember hearing one time that the difference between experts and the lower classes is that they know when not to fly.  The best wind flyer I've ever seen, Mr.Walker, let out a sigh of relief upon his return to the pits after his second flight.
Alan Resinger

Howard, VG's rule. 

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
     Alan was one of the seven that flew the second round.  Must be the VG's, or big ca hones... or something.  It really was bad!
Mike

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »
Marilou and I motored into Eugene Friday evening.  I went to the field, festooned my dog with VGs, and put in a couple of flights in the waning light of day.  I then arose Saturday at approximately my normal bedtime and put in a couple more before being kicked off the paved circles by racing and Classic stunt.  I watched Pat Johnston put up a humdinger of a flight in Profile, only to lose his pattern and landing points to an overrun.  Lacking good grass gear and being tuckered from having arisen at approximately my normal bedtime, I spent the rest of the much-nicer-than-forecast day socializing and finding out who flew what in the Saturday stunt events.  Old Time was on Friday, so I don't know who flew what in Old Time.  If anybody knows, please email me soon, so I can get it into Stunt News.  The reason for moving Old Time to Friday, according to a tabulator, was that it is so labor intensive, all scores having to be multiplied by weighting factors.  That's how pure the Northwest Regionals is, folks.  We use no tabulating technology for Old Time that wasn't around in 1953.  

I went to the hotel to take a nap, intending to return to the field in the evening to fly more stunt, but the wx had caught up with the forecast, so we adjourned to the Outback and ate too much Australian food.  I got up in the rosy fingered dawn to put in a couple of flights before appearance judging.  The lineup for appearance judging was spectacular as usual.  Even without Larry Fernandez and PT Granderson, there was a plethora of pretty planes.  You Eastern stunt people who don't use appearance points because you think craftsmanship should be left to the Chinese should come out here to see how cool stunt planes can look.

Weather wasn't too awful when stunt began, but got kinda blustery as the first round progressed.  The breeze was blowing through some trees and not whispering Louise.  My flight had some bumpy air, but nothing really perverted, and my airplane got through it just fine, no doubt because of the vortex generators.  I thought I had flown some darn good stunt until PW and my wife both informed me independently of the atrociousness of my overhead eights.  Nevertheless, I led the Junior Varsity in the first round.  The second round featured rain and more turbulence.  Of those brave enough to fly, only Alan Resinger and Kestas Dvarvydis improved their scores.  When Bruce Perry, who was nipping at my heels for the JV championship, passed, I allowed as how that if this round wasn't good enough for Bruce, it wasn't good enough for me.  As at last year's Golden State Championships, the guy with the most vortex generators on his airplane won.  

Don McClave was stunt ED and concentrated his effort on judge recruitment.  He did produce some good judge pairings.   Expert was judged by two gentlemen both of whom have Nats judge shirts identifying them as Ted Fancher.  Advanced was judged by people named Dave, both of whom are or were married to people named Alice.  Beginner and Intermediate were judged by people both of whom are women.  Old Time was judged by people both of whom fly clockwise.  Profile judges were both world stunt champions.  

At the prize ceremony each trophy winner picks something from the table of merchandise loot.  Paul Walker had departed to have dinner with his mom, so I got his trophy and at the urging of the crowd selected a nice fuel tank from the table.  

Many NW Regionals contestants have been attending for over 30 years, and it's become a big family reunion.  A bunch of us went to a fine dinner at the Hop Something after the contest.  Marilou and I got there early so we wouldn't get home at midnight.  We had a great time with the gang and got home at midnight.

See Stunt News and Flyinglines.org for the contest lowdown.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:28:52 PM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2013, 07:54:31 PM »
I was a toad. I had promised Don McClave that I would judge but got caught and had to work. That and a pinched nerve in my neck made it pretty certain I wouldn't attend. But I'm glad you guys had a good contest.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2013, 08:35:55 PM »
More pictures
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2013, 08:39:37 PM »
Another
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tom Strom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2013, 12:26:24 AM »
As I was driving down to Eugene with my new flying partner Marc, I was remembering going to my first Regionals with my old partner Dick Salter.  Dick and I flew in every event the regionals offered except scale.  We had some really good times.  But I never really looked around at what it took to put this great event on.  I told myself I am going to do that this year, as it may be the last one as we know it.  What I did not realize before, was that it takes some really good dedicated people.  From the people who set up and take down the event, to the wonderful people who run the different events.  I went to every circle in use this year to see the event directors and helpers.  As Marc and I were driving home last night he made a comment that he has not met a person he does not like, and everyone is so helpful.  Everyone in every venue is willing to help, should you need it.  From people helping you make a better motor run, or how to trim your aircraft for better performance, (thanks Paul) everyone is there for the same reason we are.  To have fun, and do the best you can on that day.  I am not going to lament on my good flights, or my bad flights, but to thank the people who allowed Marc and I to come to Eugene and have a blast.  Marc and I flew the stunt venue this year.  From Barbara and Annette , who worked tirelessly as the score tabulators and posters, to Mike Denliss who pull tested probably every contestant there, to our stunt event director Don, and the numerous contestants who chipped in to help.  In my profile event the judges were Paul Walker and David Fitzgerald.  What a thrill it was for me to have flown in front of them.  And to be judged by them.  And beginner and intermediate stunt.  Wow, the judges they had.  Two very lovely and wonderful ladies, who know the stunt world inside and out.  Joan Cox, and Alice Cotton Royer. 

Other event directors I saw working hard all weekend were Mike Potter for carrier.  This was my partners first carrier try.  Mike made Marc feel very at ease in his first carrier contest.

Mike Hazel in speed.  Another well run event.  If he was not timing someone, he was flying.

Dave Green for racing.  Dave has not raced for a number of years, but when he did, he was the man to beat.  Always a well run event when he is there.

Gene Pape for combat.  Another hard working and flying gentleman.  I watched from a distance and he had that event running well for 3 days. 

Pat Jonhston and Mark Scarbarough  not only flew stunt, they judged scale.  They did the static judging and the flying judging.  All while trying to fly in their own events.

So, in conclusion, as you can see, it takes a large group of dedicated people to allow me to come and play with my airplanes.  Thank you all for so many wonderful years at the N.W. Regionals.

Tom

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
Re: Re: Northwest Regionals
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2013, 01:10:10 AM »

Check out the number of passes in the 2nd round:

Attendance was up this year at 80+:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
AMA 60591

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2013, 07:09:28 AM »
Thanks guys for all the pictures.

Howard's summary is very interesting.

1) OTS: "The reason for moving Old Time to Friday, according to a tabulator, was that it is so labor intensive, all scores having to be multiplied by weighting factors."

OTS never had K factor scoring until some people in the modern era decided that having different scores for maneuvers was too hard on the judges.
In reality judges get hold of that very fast. Tabulating is simple... just add up the scores! That is why the Northeast, where OTS started and here in Dallas we have kept this as it was, not as some thought it should have been.

2) Appearance:  "The lineup for appearance judging was spectacular as usual.  Even without Larry Fernandez and PT Granderson, there was a plethora of pretty planes.  You Eastern stunt people who don't use appearance points because you think craftsmanship should be left to the Chinese should come out here to see how cool stunt planes can look.

Can't agree more! Sadly they are losing pride in what they do.

AMA 7544

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2013, 10:55:30 AM »
OTS: "The reason for moving Old Time to Friday, according to a tabulator, was that it is so labor intensive, all scores having to be multiplied by weighting factors."

OTS never had K factor scoring until some people in the modern era decided that having different scores for maneuvers was too hard on the judges.
In reality judges get hold of that very fast. Tabulating is simple... just add up the scores! That is why the Northeast, where OTS started and here in Dallas we have kept this as it was, not as some thought it should have been.

My point was that rather than giving either the judge or the tabulator a difficult task, one should foist the difficulty off to a machine. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2013, 12:11:46 PM »
Does anybody here know what airplanes and engines Jess Walls and Jerry Olson flew in Beginner Stunt?  I'll get in trouble if I file an incomplete report.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »

You Eastern stunt people who don't use appearance points because you think craftsmanship should be left to the Chinese should come out here to see how cool stunt planes can look.

Pretty bold statement from a contest where a Ukrainian built model almost won the concours last year...

I will teach you and Brett about geographical stereotypes.

Derek

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »
Pretty bold statement from a contest where a Ukrainian built model won the concours last year...

I will teach you and Brett about geographical stereotypes.

I suppose you will invoke your multiple Nats concours wins (and my money's on you in 2013) as evidence.  That's not fair.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2013, 12:31:26 PM »
I suppose you will invoke your multiple Nats concours wins (and my money's on you in 2013) as evidence.  That's not fair.

Yes I will (and thanks by the way). And how is that not fair?

Derek

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »

Nothing personal Howard, I just don't like being lumped in with any group. I march to the beat of my own drum.  ;)

Derek

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
My money is on a Ukrainian built model winning the Concours.  There is strength in numbers.
Steve

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »
Pretty bold statement from a contest where a Ukrainian built model almost won the concours last year.

We have our own Ukrainians out here.  No need to outsource.

I march to the beat of my own drum.

I always lagged behind the drummer myself.

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »

Very clever Howard but did he bring Aleksandr Osetrov's molds with him to the states?

Derek

Offline Jerry Olson

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
Howard, my Beginner flight abriviated as it was was with a Super Clown powered with an OS .25 LA.

Jerry
Jerry Olson
Clackamas, Oregon

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2013, 02:18:24 PM »
Derek, you're an East Coast guy? Well, eastern from here but I thought you were considered something else.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2013, 03:34:47 PM »
I am certainly not saying that all East Coasters do not build beautiful airplanes. There is however a trend for East Coast contests to eliminate appearance. Beautiful airplanes have always been a major attraction to stunt. The skill classes allow you to develop both flying and building skills.  I hate to it become like  RC "buy a toy".
AMA 7544

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
I am certainly not saying that all East Coasters do not build beautiful airplanes. There is however a trend for East Coast contests to eliminate appearance. Beautiful airplanes have always been a major attraction to stunt. The skill classes allow you to develop both flying and building skills.  I hate to it become like  RC "buy a toy".

And while trend to eliminate appearance continues on the east coast, the building on the west coast just gets better and better.
Just when you think you've made it to the top, Uncle Jimby, PTG, Ray Firkins and Igor raise the bar a bit higher

Its getting hard to keep up with those guys.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Robby Hunt

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »

Robby Hunt

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »
"Our Ukrainians are better then their Ukrainians."

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
Gary Gingerich went off and practised with Igor and Kestutis on the grass and racing circle, with his Yatsenko YAK 55. He got a lot of help from them. After Classic was over (I was pull test officer), I went over there and launched Gary for a few flights, and talked with both Igor and Kestutis awhile...very nice guys, pretty good English, too. Kestutis is Lithuanian, however. I copied the spelling on the score sheet...hope it's right. Anyway, that makes it only one Ukrainian (and one Lithuanian). FYI.  8) Steve

PS: My official 1st round flight was my one and only for the 5 days. I heard the "ooohhs", but not a single "aaahhh". I don't think anybody had lower "bottoms" on their outside squares, but then I didn't exactly plan it that way...the wind helped...a lot. I thought I got a pretty decent takeoff and landing, maybe even inverted laps, considering. 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »
And while trend to eliminate appearance continues on the east coast, the building on the west coast just gets better and better.
Just when you think you've made it to the top, Uncle Jimby, PTG, Ray Firkins and Igor raise the bar a bit higher

No need to worry about me.  I'm up to my butt in sprained body parts and RC Park Flyer and Heli parts.  
Designed a Park Flyer C/L electric.  Little modern E-stunt planes can be cooler than I ever imagined they could be.
PT Granderson

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2013, 07:13:41 PM »
I thought West Coast stunt sheek often meant gluing together East Coast made Components, then finishing with zooty paint. Maybe I misunderstood. Something. Brodak awards appearance points in PAMPA events. I know a number of folks here, who spend the winter months constructing either on their own or at the shop of some well known person in stunt. Many retreads like myself have trouble mastering the finer points (even cruder points) of making a high appearance plane. But we can admire. And do admire. Lots of us where I fly fall into the category of re-tread and duffer. I think the elimination of appearance points at local events (usually substituting a concourse appreciation and trophy) was more an acknowledgement of the reality of what turned up. Not the other way around. Peace. (But no emoticon.)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »
I thought West Coast stunt sheek often meant gluing together East Coast made Components, then finishing with zooty paint.

"We expect playwrights to learn the rules and then shatter them, and to engage with their cultural responsibilities as disclosers of truth."
Jeanie O'Hare, Chair, Yale School of Drama
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2013, 07:43:57 PM »

You're terribly wrong. This is what we need to stamp out so SAVE A DYING HOBBY! Let's all panic and get rid of BOM RIGHT NOW!!!!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »
I've never used parts east of the Mississippi.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:37 PM »
No need to worry about me.  I'm up to my butt in sprained body parts and RC Park Flyer and Heli parts.  
Designed a Park Flyer C/L electric.  Little modern E-stunt planes can be cooler than I ever imagined they could be.

Actually Phil, I never really worried about you, I more-so admired you. You, Uncle Jimby and the late great Jim Tichy have elevated my modeling skills more than anyone. Every new plane you guys would bring out, only made me see the flaws in my work, and made me step up my game.
You have all been so helpful and informative with other modelers that it has helped a lot of fliers to elevate their building and finishing skills.
Many thanks Phil.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2013, 12:00:35 AM »

WE have a few on the east coast that know how to build a stuntship too...  and  there are also several "between" the east and west coast that do a pretty good job of building !

Randy

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2013, 01:10:46 AM »
When I'd seen US team at W/C 1998 in Kiev. I was Pit boss, and Sound Engineer.  I have thought: "may be some day I will have a chance to fly with these guys". Back then I only had an opportunity to take a picture with them and their nice models. I only knew few words in English: Hello and Friendship. Now I have American friends, became  an American myself. I still have Ukrainian roots and I still have Ukrainian friends. Well know both Yatsenko brothers ; Yuriy and Andrey; Sergiy Belko; Alexandr Osetrov; Sergiy Solomyannikov; and many more. Few people from Russia, Vladimir Strahov. Since I'm familiar with Ukrainian school of BOM and now with US school; I'm taking the best out of both techniques, European and American. I always try to share my knowledge with my Stunt community. It's not fair to hear some of the negative comments towards expansion of Ukrainian model business here in US. I know that my Ukrainian friends does not steal any ideas from anybody else. They are selling their experience in order to get some money to feed their family and travel to international contests. I am not their business distributor here. I just use their model parts because I trust their quality.In many cases I have my own opinion. I'm for BOM rules because I see a good philosophy behind of it.I'm may not like all of it, but : " can't get in the Church with my own Charter", have to use as it is now. Collecting proposals seems to be not priority of our Trusties. Igor P.                                                                                                                  
Igor Panchenko

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2013, 01:12:59 AM »
WE have a few on the east coast that know how to build a stuntship too...  

The people who put on contests there must think you are elitists or weirdos or meanies set to lower the self esteem of people who pay good money for their models. They refrain from encouraging such aberrant behavior by withholding appearance points from you.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2013, 04:34:32 AM »
The people who put on contests there must think you are elitists or weirdos or meanies set to lower the self esteem of people who pay good money for their models. They refrain from encouraging such aberrant behavior by withholding appearance points from you.

You west coast boys must take your local contests A LOT more seriously than us east coast guys. For us, it is more about fun and fellowship, the flying comes second to that. You can, however, bet your ass that when I get to the Nats, it is GAME ON!!!

Derek
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:10:08 AM by Derek Barry »

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2013, 04:43:03 AM »
When I'd seen US team at W/C 1998 in Kiev. I was Pit boss, and Sound Engineer.  I have thought: "may be some day I will have a chance to fly with these guys". Back then I only had an opportunity to take a picture with them and their nice models. I only knew few words in English: Hello and Friendship. Now I have American friends, became  an American myself. I still have Ukrainian roots and I still have Ukrainian friends. Well know both Yatsenko brothers ; Yuriy and Andrey; Sergiy Belko; Alexandr Osetrov; Sergiy Solomyannikov; and many more. Few people from Russia, Vladimir Strahov. Since I'm familiar with Ukrainian school of BOM and now with US school; I'm taking the best out of both techniques, European and American. I always try to share my knowledge with my Stunt community. It's not fair to hear some of the negative comments towards expansion of Ukrainian model business here in US. I know that my Ukrainian friends does not steal any ideas from anybody else. They are selling their experience in order to get some money to feed their family and travel to international contests. I am not their business distributor here. I just use their model parts because I trust their quality.In many cases I have my own opinion. I'm for BOM rules because I see a good philosophy behind of it.I'm may not like all of it, but : " can't get in the Church with my own Charter", have to use as it is now. Collecting proposals seems to be not priority of our Trusties. Igor P.                                                                                                                  

If you were referring to me, I mean you no disrespect. Nor do I have a problem with Ukrainian models, here in the US or anywhere else. I have one in my shop. I have used it in local contest and won Expert. I did not, however, take appearance points for it. None were offered (as Howard has pointed out) but I would not have taken them anyways. My war is not with you it is with a couple other friends of mine who want to preach to us about BOM at our contest while allowing something, I see as non BOM, to receive appearance points at their contests.

Derek

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2013, 04:57:50 AM »

Modified because it was too harsh, even for Howard.

Yes Howard, I would prefer to have AP at our contests, even if it was just for Advanced and Expert. But even back when we did have AP, some people still chose or were forced by a crash to use a borrowed airplane. They always gave up their AP to do so. But in reality it makes no difference at the local level. Everyone tries to win but like I said it is more about hanging out with friends and doing what we love.

It is funny because since we are talking about it I went back through a couple years of Huntersville (the biggest non BOM contest in my area) pictures to see how many ARFs I saw. To be honest I couldn't find many. You know want I did find? Pictures of planes built by some incredible builders and finishers. Such as, Tommy Luper, Gene Martine, Randy Smith, Charlie Reeves, Stan Powell, Dan Banjock, John Simpson, Kent Tysor, myself, just to name a few. There are more but I cannot think of them off the top of my head. If I go back a few more years I start to get pictures of Kurt Contrata, Dave Hemstrought, Ronnie Farmer. You get my point? Just because our local contest do not have AP any more it does not mean the number of quality planes being built on the east coast has gone down.

Derek
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:27:17 AM by Derek Barry »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2013, 06:44:47 AM »
I thought West Coast stunt sheek often meant gluing together East Coast made Components, then finishing with zooty paint. Maybe I misunderstood. Something.

Names? <crickets chirping>

Brett

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »
You west coast boys must take your local contests A LOT more seriously than us east coast guys.

Derek

If you call a bunch of grown men "Hurling" junk model airplane motors across a field serious, well I guess you have a point there Derek.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
Definitely. The West Coast does acid-head light-show auto paint better. On average. (Emoticons fail me. But I am laughing.) (Play a Grateful Dead jam now.)

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2013, 08:39:31 AM »
I have seen frustration on your face, on NWR  and Golden state 2012 , not on yours only. You all most did not want to talk to me in order to express your ignorance. I all most start to think : " should I drive 900 miles away from LA each way to have that feeling before official flight ? ". But I'm strong. I have spoked with president of PAMPA with Dave, Paul, Jim, Canadians, I have seen Fenscher's couple.When I drew back at night, with my partner Kestas; contest preview was rotating in my mind. I still thinking it was valuable to me.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:37:27 AM by Igor »
Igor Panchenko

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »
Can't you guys on the West Coast guys invent something that furthers the science of control line stunt besides paint schemes. PA Engines. The Father of Electric Stunt (before he needed to shave every day). Cast carbon fiber and balsa/fiber composite wings and fuselages. Lost Foam Wings. Last time I checked... The Science of Control Line Stunt. (I am laughing again.) Where you guys been the last 15 years. (Or 20)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2013, 09:01:27 AM »
Well here we go again, the east vs the west.   Glad I am in the middle and do build most of my planes.   Just wish I could fly them better.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »
A nice contest report that has now degenerated to a BOM fight.

How sad!

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »
A nice contest report that has now degenerated to a BOM fight.

How sad!

I am sorry Paul, its just that twice in recent history "east coast" pilots have been called out for no apparent reason other than to make the ones doing the calling feel somehow superior or maybe to get some past aggression off their chest. Sorry but I feel obligated to reply because I am from the east and the things said are usually assumptions about how things are run over here rather than facts. The only fact they have is that most contests on the east do not have AP anymore. Some other facts are that most of the people I know do built their own planes and they take a lot of pride in their work. So, to be labeled as anti BOM is offensive to us.

At first it was some mild jabs between Howard and I. It kind of snowballed from there...

Derek  

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
Hey, Derek, you build very nice planes as far as I can tell. So, excuse yourself from any east coast comments.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here