News:

• May 23, 2024, 12:09:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bf 109 in prime  (Read 22448 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: bf 109 in prime
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »

The foggy glass is probably scale accurate. ;D

This has to be the fastest paint job of it's type I've seen, way cool Mark!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2013, 08:29:08 PM »
yeah Wayne, thats going to be my story too, I know it plastic models,, when you REALLY want it to look right, you spray a very very light coat of clear with a couple drops of grey in it,, it simulates looking through all the air molecules, smoke and haze in the atmosphere,, so yeah, it was uh,,, deliberate LOL

as to speed,, you obviously not counting the amount of time planning before picking up a spray gun,,,, I plan on going back and calculating the hours of painting time involved,, but I estimate from spraying the first coat of white,, to the coat of clear,, I have probably 14 or 15 hours masking, painting, ect,, over two days,,( ok well I sprayed the first coat of white friday night)

the biggest reason is planning,, and product,, to answer that question,, It is PPG basecoat,, and two part clear,,

Wayne you asked about the insignia,, there is no careful registration aside from placing the mask,,

again, sequence,, spray white where insignia and yellow goes,, the mask covers the area of the insignia,, it is cut already for the black and white separation,, after spraying all of the colors,, I remove the portion of the mask which is ultimately going to be black,, this then leaves one to mask across the ends of the cross,, and basically mask the perimeter,, this takes some care, good clean glasses,, and lots of light,, so not registration of multiple masks, its already there ,,plus it removes the need for many many coats of white if you spray it after the fact,, by the way, the camo soft edge is not masked,, just sprayed freehand,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »
Magnificent work, Mark!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »

Yes I agree Mark, to do it "right" there is usually a bunch of time in planning a paint scheme. The '109 still seems like it went pretty quickly, using the masks as you describe definitely helps speed up the overall process. Your dry times must be pretty quick too. Even using dope I always wait at least 24 hours after spraying before getting anywhere near the model with masking products. It's probably time for me to start considering using masks and spraying instead of my usual vinyl graphics and insignias. Doing so would save a hint of weight too.

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »
Awesome work, Mark. Looks good.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »
Yes I agree Mark, to do it "right" there is usually a bunch of time in planning a paint scheme. The '109 still seems like it went pretty quickly, using the masks as you describe definitely helps speed up the overall process. Your dry times must be pretty quick too. Even using dope I always wait at least 24 hours after spraying before getting anywhere near the model with masking products. It's probably time for me to start considering using masks and spraying instead of my usual vinyl graphics and insignias. Doing so would save a hint of weight too.
The material I use,, automotive basecoat, dries for masking in about 30 to 45 minutes,, of course as the coats build up, dry times do increase.
that is why I sprayed the white underpaint for the crosses the night before, the masks were going to be on the surface for at least 24 hours.
on a warm day, ( it was 50 all weekend) so say a 70 degree day, you can mask over it in less than an hour reliably,, with no tape tracking. I generally pull masking within 15 mintues of spraying,, so the normal thing is to mask, spray a color,, clean the gun, store the extra paint in its container,, wash my hands walk around the building once, then lift the masking,, wait 30 minutes, and mask the next color,, I weighed,, from bare primer to finished clear-coat,, I added 3.2 ounces total.

this includes the fact that the custom mix for the dark green ended up being fairly transparant so it required several coats. The blue was a one coat , the tan about a coat and a half,, and the black, because of spraying over masking and all, I built up very slowly in several very light coats. This helps bridge any gaps in the masking to minimize bleeding
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
by the way,,( or is that by the weigh,, )
I weighed it with all the flaps, cowlings, gear and all,, sitting on its wheels with everything minus drivetrain,, its 41.2 ounces,, so it should fly at about 63 or 64 ounces,, this would equate to  a glow airplane that weighs about 55 ounces ( minus fuel of course)
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2013, 10:25:23 PM »
by the way,,( or is that by the weigh,, )
I weighed it with all the flaps, cowlings, gear and all,, sitting on its wheels with everything minus drivetrain,, its 41.2 ounces,, so it should fly at about 63 or 64 ounces,, this would equate to  a glow airplane that weighs about 55 ounces ( minus fuel of course)

Thanks for the paint info Mark. y1

So, are you saying above that your equivalent 55 ounce glow plane would be launched carrying 8 or 9 ounces (in weight) of fuel?

Wayne Willey

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »
Well, these are off the cuff estimates,only to be taken with a grain of skepticism,, but they are diagrammatic of the comparison.

as I recall,, the Magnum I intended to use weighed 10.9 ounces +1.2 ounces muffler+ 3 oz for a tank and plumbing=15.2 ounces with no fuel, I burn 6 fluid ounces roughly...

my current powertrain is 7 for the motor+14 batteries+3 for ESC  and timer=24 ounces
there is about 9 ounces difference.
they both use props and spinners, though the electric may shave an ounce or so.
lets say that for argument purposes I am being biased by a bit and call the difference 8 ounces after the scratching and clawing ,,,, It is looking like I will end up around 65 ounces all up, tip weight and all,, ( assuming I am able to alter the CG without adding significant weight.. if you subtract that 8 ounces from my 65 ounce electric, you would be at 57 ounces prior to fueling,, which is how glow airplane weights are typically related,,

NOW if any of this sounds like I REALLY know what I am doing,, then please,, your mileage may vary,, ( and my opinion will surely be corrected somewhere down the road,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2013, 11:14:13 PM »
ah crap,,, I just realized I changed numbers in my illustration example and my first really off handed comment ( 55 ounces,,,,) well lets blame it on paint fumes and not paying attention,,
or you can just say I actually spent more than one brain cell to think about it,,
I stand with my secondary  commentary,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »
Great finish! I hope mine comes out that good.
AMA 12366

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2013, 11:26:58 PM »

Wayne,, enjoy the hobby at the level of expense and effort which brings the maximum pleasure for the minimum pain needed to get there,, financially or effort,, its all about enjoying,, if vinyl enables you to enjoy the hobby better,, because you can build more or whatever,, then go that way,, sometimes this painting thing is a chore LOL,, but I like it,

EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2013, 11:31:08 PM »
Great finish! I hope mine comes out that good.

Thanks Robert, I appreciate the comment,, I think the finish is effective,, it masks some of the flaws,, pictures really do flatter it. Like you, I wanted it to be functional first,, and my Avenger is pretty,, but I need a better blend of utility,, hence, I elected to leave some of the localized issues rather than add weight,,, I am satisfied, i wont be ashamed to put it on the line for judging,, though a repeat of the Avenger finish,,,,that will come on my Crossfire derivative,, 
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2013, 05:50:22 AM »
Spectacular!!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »
Hey Mark, if it looks half as good in person as it does in the pics, you have a winner.  I love it.    Now I would like to know how you can top your Avenger?    I know another VSC award plus winning. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »
You need to start a new topic as it's no longer in prime.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2013, 03:58:45 PM »
well that may be true,, but the primer is still there Randy,,

actually have been thinking of moving this or restrating this, in the amped up section,, ( since its electric now),, thanks for reminding me,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »
I think I will box my beamer up and send it to him to finish. Nice work!
AMA 12366

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »
Wayne,, enjoy the hobby at the level of expense and effort which brings the maximum pleasure for the minimum pain needed to get there,, financially or effort,, its all about enjoying,, if vinyl enables you to enjoy the hobby better,, because you can build more or whatever,, then go that way,, sometimes this painting thing is a chore LOL,, but I like it,

Yeah, I'm with ya on all of that Mark. I'm not gonna kill myself to get there, but eventually I would like to work my way to "all paint" models. I actually like the painting process too, when everything goes right of course.

Way back when I used to do a TON of plastic modeling, mostly 1/48th scale WWII aircraft with all the extra super-detailing and weathering etc. Even had a couple articles published in the old "Scale Modeler" magazine, (neither of which were good examples of my better efforts ;D). The plastic modeling was all good experience though, when you get into super-detailing it teaches you about the patience part of modeling. I became very familiar with that, I once spent about a month of evenings working on just the cockpit for a P-51B.

Can't wait to see the '109 all assembled, (with gear doors) it looks awesome already. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »
Hi Mark,

That is definitely one of the better looking C/L stunt Me-109s I have seen.  What kind/size spinner are you using?

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
Well Bill, first thanks,,

I know, like myself, you recognize the spinner as an important part of the look,,
I have a gentleman who is supposed to be turning an aluminum spinner for me,, with the correct shape,, so far this is the third person who said they could,,

for now I am using a great planes spinner that I am going to cut the end of the cone off,, two reasons, the first is the blunt look of the prototype spinner,, and secondly, it lets the air into the motor for cooling,

I had hoped to make Portland contest with this airplane this weekend,, but now work seems to have created a dilemma for me,, it remains to be seen if I can go,, and if I will have time to get this together,,

I do have to confess, the longer it sits on my bench, the happier I am,, at least with the LOOK of it,, it has some issues that annoy me finish wise,, but,, at least I wont be afraid to fly it that way,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »
I'm lovin' it!!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »
Yea, some stuff has come up and I'm not at all sure I can make Portland this weekend. Things my clear up, but right now, it's not happening.

Just as well, I suppose. I can save my pennies so I can go to the Regionals next month.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Rob Smith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »
Looks awesome buddy!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »
Thanks all,,
taking Randy's suggestion I am starting a new thread, its over on the amped up section

thanks for following along on this thread, see you over there where I will finish up the installation and minor additions,, like gear legs and wheel well covers

shortcut here
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=31263.0
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »

Get those gear doors done and go flyin' yet Mark?

Wayne Willey

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »
MARK!
GIVE US THE WORD ON YOUR FIRST FLIGHTS WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL NEW RIDE that I saw on FARCEBOOK'  H^^ CLP**
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
Shutlzie,, its over on the other thread,, in the "amped up " section,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here