News:

• June 16, 2024, 04:25:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So it begins - Avenger 35  (Read 36911 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: So it begins - Avenger 35
« Reply #300 on: January 21, 2012, 08:56:58 PM »
I'm think of a paint scheme something along these lines (pic posted by Yves Fernandez on facebook the other day). Not just like this, but similar in combination with Donnie's original scheme.
Randy...Both YOU and Ted's paint schemes are always soooooooo darned tasteee!
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #301 on: January 21, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »
Well, the main airframe is covered finally. Only took 6 hours. And there's one coat of full taunting Randolph's on the wing. Hope to get the pieces covered tomorrow and get a couple of coats of clear on it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »
 I don't recall Randy, do you use any sterate type fillers or anything?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2012, 12:50:52 PM »
Wayne,

Sometimes. If I have time, I just keep shooting clear on until the paper is all filled. It's lighter and somewhat more durable. But in this case, I don't have the time (You really have to shoot no more than two coats a day of clear if you don't want it to just loosen the stuff underneath). So once I get it basically sanded and cleaned up and the fillets, I'll shoot a coat or two of clear, then shoot some filler/primer coat. I have it mixed up. Clear, thinner (50/50), add about 3oz of white dope and start mixing in black until I get a medium gray. Then add zinc sterate. I put in about 8 tablespoons for a quart. I'll thin it enough to get through the gun. I have a big DeVilbiss gun with a 2.2mm needle that works pretty well for primer.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #304 on: January 23, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
I have it mixed up. Clear, thinner (50/50), add about 3oz of white dope and start mixing in black until I get a medium gray. Then add zinc sterate. I put in about 8 tablespoons for a quart. I'll thin it enough to get through the gun. I have a big DeVilbiss gun with a 2.2mm needle that works pretty well for primer.

Thanks for the info Randy, I'm still trying to make up my mind about changing up my finishing prep routine a bit. To date I've had pretty decent luck overall, but I just keep thinking that maybe I should be doing a few things differently when it comes to finishing. The wall I continue to hit is that I'm a big time "if it ain't broke don't fix it" guy so I just keep with the same routine. I did buy some Aero-Fil a while back, but I still haven't tried it. This Challenger .15 was going to be my "guinea pig" for trying it but I chickened out at the end and just went with my normal process.

In your above description, how much 50/50 clear/thinner are you starting out with when you then add the 3oz of white and the rest of your mixed ingredients?

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #305 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:18 PM »
Wayne,

Starting out with a quart jar, I fill it about half full with clear, non-taunting dope. Then pour in about 3oz of white dope then between 4 and 8 tablespoons of zinc sterate (depends on how I feel and the conditions on the amount of filler) then fill the jar the rest of the way with thinner. Then I put it in the paint shaker and mix it up. When I get ready to shoot the stuff, I thin it further until I can shoot it easily. Usually means about 50-80% more thinner depending on conditions. I also sometimes add a touch of silver but that depends on the base color.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #306 on: January 23, 2012, 10:14:55 PM »
 Thanks Randy, good info. y1

I wonder what Mark's doing tonite?  S?P ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #307 on: January 23, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »
wayne,, well My lady has been gone for four days,, so you use your imagination,, *hint* it involves the couch,, the tv, and a warm blanket,,

Oh and the 49rs game from yesterday, she is a fan,, so I recorded it for her,, and NO I DONT KNOW WHO WON YET
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #308 on: January 23, 2012, 10:33:12 PM »
wayne,, well My lady has been gone for four days,, so you use your imagination,, *hint* it involves the couch,, the tv, and a warm blanket,,

Well, um, I'm sure glad you didn't mention anything about a bag of Cheetos with that explanation. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #309 on: January 24, 2012, 10:29:26 AM »
Wayne,

Starting out with a quart jar, I fill it about half full with clear, non-taunting dope. Then pour in about 3oz of white dope then between 4 and 8 tablespoons of zinc sterate (depends on how I feel and the conditions on the amount of filler) then fill the jar the rest of the way with thinner. Then I put it in the paint shaker and mix it up. When I get ready to shoot the stuff, I thin it further until I can shoot it easily. Usually means about 50-80% more thinner depending on conditions. I also sometimes add a touch of silver but that depends on the base color.

Hi Randy,

For which "base color(s)" do you use the touch of silver?

Thanks
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #310 on: January 24, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »
Bill,

Anything metallic. I plan to shoot some gray on this one prior to shooting the pearl white. Not solid, just a dust to help the white cover.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #311 on: January 24, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »
Bill,

Anything metallic. I plan to shoot some gray on this one prior to shooting the pearl white. Not solid, just a dust to help the white cover.

Thanks, Randy!  I can see what effect that would have.

What is roughly your pearl powder to color/clear ratio?
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #312 on: January 24, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »
Bill,

Usually around a teaspoon of dry pearl to a pint of clear. A bit more to color. Keep in mind that if you use too much, it can effect adhesion properties. In clear you want it suspended.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #313 on: January 24, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »
Is that a pint of ready-to-spray clear?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #314 on: January 24, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
Howard,

Well, I shoot catalyzed polyurethane (4 to 1), so I usually mix it in a pint or so of paint then add the catalyst. For clear dope, it's ready to spray clear.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
OK, the fillets are on. After I got that done, I spent the afternoon getting some props cleaned up and some repitched. So there are 8 props (4 3 blades and 4 2 blades) and I have both 2 and 3 blade spinners all polished up. Hope to get the fillets sanded down tomorrow and start slopping dope on. should be ready for color by next weekend. Maybe sooner.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #316 on: January 29, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
Keep that trigger finger under control!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #317 on: January 29, 2012, 07:34:34 PM »
I will try, Bill. It's ready for primer (as soon as the clear on it dries anyway). I hope to shoot on primer tomorrow then let it sit for a couple of days then it will be the Zen of sanding.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #318 on: January 30, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
I will try, Bill. It's ready for primer (as soon as the clear on it dries anyway). I hope to shoot on primer tomorrow then let it sit for a couple of days then it will be the Zen of sanding.

Ahh........ Grasshoppa......... the Zen of sanding, you are doing well.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #319 on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »
Well, no sanding yet. I went out last night to shoot primer, but decided that it really needed another coat of clear first. So, that went on (with an extra over the open paper) and will try to get out tonight or tomorrow to shoot primer. Sigh... Time's a wastin'.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #320 on: January 31, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »
Do you hit the clear with 600-800 before the primer?  Then what do you use to sand the primer?

Thanks
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #321 on: January 31, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
Bill,

Sort of. I usually put on 2 or 3 coats of unthinned clear on the bare, sanded airframe. Then I sand enough to knock down any rough spots that come up but not serious sanding (that should have been done before the clear went on). Then I cover and put a coat of unthinned clear on (after the paper is dry and stretched out). Non-taunting over all the wood and taunting over the open bays. Then I usually sand the edges, paper overlaps and such. Generally clean it up. Then it gets between 2 and 4 coats of clear. This time with it somewhat thinned. Maybe 20% or so. This is so the clear flow out a little better. I brush to this point. The airframe should be somewhat shinny, even over the open bays. Then I will usually sand it a bit, but nothing serious. Just take down any runs (hope none) and any areas that have cropped up like areas around edges or in hinge pockets, etc. The I shoot primer. It's only after all that that the serious sanding starts. If you prepped the original surface well and cleaned up the edges, corners and such along the way, the primer should lay out flat and even. If you haven't sanded much, then all the low spots should be full of either primer or clear and block sanding it down should give you a nice, flat surface to paint.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #322 on: February 03, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »
OK, the primer is on. Next up, the Zen of sanding. Joy!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »
OK, the primer is on. Next up, the Zen of sanding. Joy!

YEHHH! RANDY-DANDLEEE' TOO COOL OR WHAT? ALMOST TIME TO UNLEASH YOUR MIND'S ARTFUL EYEBALL'S!!!
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
8 hours of sanding and I'm half done.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #325 on: February 05, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
CRAP,
I have been sanding on my 109, but you are catching up ,, guess I know what to do during the stupid bowl today, at least between commercials,,

How is it sanding out Randy, are ya satisfied so far?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »
Mark,

It's OK. I've been having to go back and touch up low spots as I go. I'm heading out in a minute. I'm sitting in front of the tube watching the New Balance indoor track meet and doing my taxes right now. Be done with that soon then will head out.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2012, 02:46:08 PM »
The girls just went shopping, and Kyli is down for her nap, so I finally got around to patching the mysterious hole in the wing that appeared when there was a teenage sleepover some time ago,, Its pretty nice here today, high 40s and sunshine, so we have the door open for fresh air.

more sanding commences,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
Mark,

Well, I ran out of steam but 6 more hours of sanding yielded some progress. Just the top of one wing and a flap to go. Once that's done (probably tomorrow) I'll clean it up and shoot some highly thinned clear on it, steel wool that a bit then shoot some gray I have mixed up. Just enough to cover the leprous look it will have with the sanded primer. Then the base color and we'll see what we have. I always forget how much work this is, especially when compressed into a short time frame. This thing really needs to be done in two weeks or so. I really don't want to do test flying in Tucson.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #329 on: February 06, 2012, 01:47:47 PM »
Mark,

Well, I ran out of steam but 6 more hours of sanding yielded some progress. Just the top of one wing and a flap to go. Once that's done (probably tomorrow) I'll clean it up and shoot some highly thinned clear on it, steel wool that a bit then shoot some gray I have mixed up. Just enough to cover the leprous look it will have with the sanded primer. Then the base color and we'll see what we have. I always forget how much work this is, especially when compressed into a short time frame. This thing really needs to be done in two weeks or so. I really don't want to do test flying in Tucson.
WOW! RANDY!!
This brings back memories of traveling long distances in a car with a BRAND NEW...FRESHING PAINTED CLPA MODEL!
My old 67 and 68 traveling partner...the late Tim Dunlop and I both traveled across the country with BRAND NEW FRESHLY PAINTED STUNT MODELS....in the trunk of his HUGE WIDE TRACK BONNEVILLE PONTI-HORSE!
I CAN ASSURE YOU "TIME FLIES" WHEN YOU SPEND 8 HOURS OR LONGER....ESPECIALLY IN HOT WEATHER....AMAZING WHAT VISIONS APPEARS after SUCKING UP GASSING OFF DOPE FUMES that fill not only the interior of the car..but also enter our dope fume induced clothing and blood stream!
  I remember stopping for lunch somewhere in Montana and as we were sitting at the food bar, the cook and other patrons....including the waitress... kept smelling some strange kinds of fumes or smells  that were not only coming off our clothing...but also from our breath.
Talk about a CHEAP HIGH!!! n~ n~ n~ :X :X j1 Actually quite addictive...especially if you conbined that lunch break with a Raaaaaaaaaainieeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrr Beeeeeeer brewski..

As you can tell after reading this post...EVEN JUST THE MEMORY OF THOSE TIMES...Brings back memories..that still must be locked DEEPLY INSIDE MY DNA THIS VERY DAY!
 ~^ ~^ ~^ ~^
BOTTOM LINE:
CLEAN UP THAT PURTY SLIDER OF YOURS...AND ENJOY THE RIDE...DRUG FREE!!! SAVE THAT NEW AVENGER UNTIL A LATER DATE.. HH%%
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
Donnie,

Hey, it will be Pete Peterson enjoying the, ah, aroma, of the Avenger. I'm flying to Tucson.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »
I'm not sure if Diana enjoys it so much!
Mike

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »
Actually, the topcoat will be catalyzed polyurethane. It won't be gassing off.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
Actually, the topcoat will be catalyzed polyurethane. It won't be gassing off.
Hummm?
Then Diana won't have to worry except maybe from Pete's personal passing gass offs & butt growls from too many quick food stops  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »
 Nice to hear you two are making some good progress, I was out of town for work this past weekend so I wasn't on the 'pooter at all.

And Mark, congratulations on your return to modeling! ;D :##
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:15:30 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #335 on: February 10, 2012, 11:01:49 AM »
Just a note. No work on the plane this week. Been a tough week in a lot of ways. Hope to get back to it tonight.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #336 on: February 10, 2012, 11:08:39 AM »
Just a note. No work on the plane this week. Been a tough week in a lot of ways. Hope to get back to it tonight.
TOUGH WEEK?? :( H^^ MAY THE GREAT LORD TAKE A LIKIN' TO YA....instead of the LICKIN' TIMES of this week!
Don Shultz

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #337 on: February 10, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
 Hope things are ok out there Randy. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #338 on: February 11, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »
Wayne and Donnie,

Yea, just a tough week at work. I see some pretty ugly stuff. Just the nature of the job. But this week was particularly tough. Spent a lot of time with cops and very bad guys. Just sort of took it out of me. But I got back to the beast last night and and just a some spots I had to re-prime to sand today and it's ready for sealer. I'll do that today and get the blocking coat on. I'll post some pics later.

Edit

Adding a picture - ready for sealer.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:22:56 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #339 on: February 11, 2012, 08:25:56 PM »
OK, it's gray now.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #340 on: February 11, 2012, 11:04:19 PM »
OK, it's gray now.

Now fun can begin! (mask spray mask spray mask spray fix error mask spray mask spray clear clear clear...)
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #341 on: February 12, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
Its looking good Randy, Cant wait to see how it all turns out. I am surprised how much difference it makes being that little bit narrower in the nose. ( I had to widen mine slightly to fit the Magnum in it)
Hmm man I really am tempted to build another one now,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #342 on: February 12, 2012, 12:12:48 PM »
Well, I inspected it this morning and unfortunately, the prep isn't done yet. Found quite a few spots that still need attention. So it's out with the wet and dry. Have to clean up several spots that will bug the crap out of me if I don't fix them. Then I'll use the air brush to reshoot those areas and then I can soot the white.

Edit

Well, 4 hours of sanding and painting and it's gray again. Still not thrilled with the surface, but it will due. But you have to love pearl gray.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:24:00 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #343 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »
 I can certainly relate to the "bug the crap out of me" stuff, but like we said earlier here Randy, watch that trigger finger!!! ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #344 on: February 14, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »
Remember patience??   I think Randy was or has been introduce to her.   When the surface is not right.  Take a break and do something.   Then come back and do it right.   Now if only I would follow my own advice. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #345 on: February 14, 2012, 01:04:58 PM »
From pictures, it really looks smooth, Randy.  Just don't forget to go light on the trigger! LL~ LL~

(AHHHHHH..............seems I remember something about Supersonic Stunter plans............... ;D )

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #346 on: February 14, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
Bill,

Yea, I pulled them out but just haven't managed to get to the print shop yet. I will. Or you could come to VSC and I could hand them over personally...
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #347 on: February 14, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
Bill,

Yea, I pulled them out but just haven't managed to get to the print shop yet. I will. Or you could come to VSC and I could hand them over personally...

You're on Randy!  Send me a plane ticket and I'll be there! LL~ LL~ LL~

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #348 on: February 14, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
I think such a trip has to be self propelled.   ;D

OK, mail it is.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2012, 11:00:43 AM »
Well crap. Note to self, never, ever, ever put a fillet on before the silkspan again (slap my hand, I know better than that). I did the fillets on the rudder and sub rudder strake prior to covering. And now I'm have all kinds of issues. Last night I finally gave up trying to patch it and just used a knife, cut the covering all the way down each fillet (4 of them) and peeled up the covering. The used a bit of CA to make sure everything was tacked down tight, sanded and put filler coat all along the area. Will sand that and re-shoot gray ... again. Sheesh!

Maybe I can actually get the thing taped then and shoot the darned white.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here