News:

• May 17, 2024, 12:42:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Flight Streak  (Read 21978 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Flight Streak
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
Nathan,

There's another way, keeping in mind that not only must the tank be secured properly, it ought be readily adjustable, and be a light installation.

Obtain either 2-56- or 4-40-sized inner rods from one of those tube-in-a-tube pushrod sets so commonly used in RC models.

Drill suitably sized holes in your fuselage, two on upper side of tank, two on the bottom. Give these a vertical  spacing which will allow moving the tank up and down at least 1/4 inch, quite likely more if using the Hayes 3-ounce tank. (This tank is not symmetrical and typically needs to be mounted about 3/16" high.)

Noting the pilot holes need to be a little tight (13/64" if using 4-40 tube) pound in short lengths of this tubing. Hit them with thin CA.

Now you need some hooks and these are easily bent up from that threaded-one-end metal rod (again used in many RC control systems) available at Local Hobby. (It's worth noting that SIG sells 4-40 threaded hooks which are ready to use, although they are sometimes a bit short for my applications.) Lots of ways to bend these hooks and I prefer to use snipe-nose pliers.

Screw hooks into receptacles installed per above.

Install tank. Yes, you can use rubber bands even if that's quite tacky. Or there are lots of .060- and .090-inch "O" rings out there which you will find handy and quite reliable.

Note that tank is now free to move up and down under flight loads. During first tests it's okay to make balsa or ply shims of various thicknesses in order to shim tank to whatever height seems correct. I typically use shims as thin as 1/64-inch with the rest thicker. (Later on, with tank in "magic" position, you can fabricate shims which will not get soaked with oil.)

At the field you can run the engine while a helper holds. Get an rpm reading both upright and inverted. Any differences will be a clue as to shimming tank.

Fly the model. Even with above test it probably won't be right. Shim accordingly, noting that you will merely be, for example, removing an upper shim and replacing it below the tank. Total shim stack stays the same, meaning there are no issues with measuring, counting shims and so on.

Do not be satisfied with flying tests which are limited to upright and inverted flight. Fly maneuvers instead with horizontal 8s being valuable although not necessarily the final word, depending upon how experienced you are and how critical you want to be in getting the best engine runs possible.

Dan

Yep, that will work well, ,seen it,, pretty dagnabit precise too,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »
Nathan,

I hope you get that tank thing figured out. Won't be long before I'm confronted with the same task.

Here's one wing panel silked with Sig dope. only three more left.  n~

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »

(Clip)

Here's one wing panel silked with Sig dope. only three more left.  n~

Charles

Charles,

I guess you can can cover and dope one wing panel at a time if you want to.  It is a good way to get some uncontrolled warps.  But you should not recommend it to a less experienced builder. If I remember right, you were warned about this with that rudder thing you did.

Keith

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2012, 04:58:27 PM »
Keith,, he was warned,, several people in fact,, however, I am glad you reminded people so those who will listen will know not to cover one side at a time,, especially not to cover and dope one side at a time,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »
Charles,I guess you can can cover and dope one wing panel at a time if you want to.  It is a good way to get some uncontrolled warps.  But you should not recommend it to a less experienced builder. If I remember right, you were warned about this with that rudder thing you did.
Keith

Keith,

I have never told anyone on this Forum how to do anything, ever. I just say what I do.

You are correct, I was told not to apply dope when both sides of a wing or rudder were not completely silked. Good advice actually.

I have only one coat of non shrinking dope on that wing. Still straight as an arrow since the swimming pool fix.

I'm impatient and couldn't resist applying that coat.

Your past advice has paid off, I can now silk a wing. Not with total confidence, mind you, but I'm getting it done.

Thanks for your help.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2012, 07:10:25 PM »
I decided to just get over the looks of it and I marked my tank area and drilled .098 holes in my hardwoods and screwed in J hooks.

It worked like  champ and got rid of all my bubbles. She ran great today. I did have a little standard vent inconsitancies but with a good needle it was hardly noticable. Man this plane is a joy to fly.
Nathan, New guy, Newbie, Youngster, Pleeb, So on and so on

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »
As you can see the day was not without casualties lol. I went into inverted way to high and it didn't go well. It's all part of learning so I am not upset but man I wish it broke in an easier spot.

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »
Here is an update on the second streak I am building. I finished notching the stab and elevator. The fuse is built minus the tail feathers. I was planning on working on it tonight but I have to fix the other one instead.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2012, 07:23:06 PM »
Nathan,

Sorry about your loss, bummer.

Any plans on how you're going to do the fix?

second Flite Streak looks great so far. I see those evenly spaced Dubro hinges. I have the same, Klett actually, but left the center one off.

I'll get a photo.

Photos of your repair?

Charles

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
No big deal Charles, I knew it was going to happen when I built it. Learning the pattern does not come easy to me but I have already gotten farther with this plane than I was before. For a fix I am ca the cracks and fitting the broken wing back in the hole it came out of. Once I get it fit tight and how I like it I am going to smear a bunch of epoxy in the joints and jam it back together and pin it. I am hoping to be back in the air tomorrow. I don't think I have enough room to put plywood over the break points so I'm not going to worry about it. The goal is to get the LE back straight and the epoxy will do the rest LOL.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2012, 01:07:33 AM »
a doubler of balsa behind the spar, and leading edge even 1/16 will make a large difference.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #161 on: August 01, 2012, 11:32:15 AM »
Yeah Mark I am going to have to find a way to double her up. The break in the spar happened right at the sheeting ajacent to a rib so it isn't the easiest section to deal with. I think I am going to put a 1/4" stick gusset for the center of the spar to the rib and then make a piece that extends the center sheeting over the top and bottom cap. I'll post pictures. Then I am going to put thin ply into the leading edge. The trailing edge could use something too but with how it broke I think it best to just leave it as is. I am not going to be able to get her done to fly this afternoon so I'll take my time and get it right. I wish it had waited till I finished my spare plane lol. Thats the way of it though when you are flying.

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »
She's ready to go again. I think it's gonna rain so I'll probably not get to try it out this evening but I'm glad it's done. I had to cut the damaged section of the leading edge off and reattach it in two places because the wing would not slide back together square with it in one piece. Once I cut that out I was able to slide the detached section of the leading edge into the break point and slide the rest of the wing back into the broken edge while keeping everything straight and level. I epoxied that all together by applying epoxy into the joint edges. Once that l hardened I began gusseting. The spar got triangle gussets on either side of the break point and I recessed the top and bottom caps and epoxied 3/32 ply. I also recessed the leading edge in two sections one on top and one on bottom and epoxied 3/32 ply. I put the leading edge gussets over the area that I cut rather than the break area because the break joint was extremely ragged and with the epoxy I figure that should make a strong joint. However, the gussets to catch part of the original break. Pictures are worth more than words Soooo. I almost forgot I also had another spar area that was damaged by a piece of prop. I just cut a piece of 1/16 to fit and epoxied it in back of the damaged section. There was also many rib fractures nd breaks that I fixed.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2012, 01:22:32 PM »
HI Nathan,

Looks like you did a great job on the repairs and you should be good to go again!  It is simply a matter (like so many other things we do) of learning from your mistakes.

Have fun!
BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2012, 01:30:32 PM »
Yeah Bill, I just wish I knew what my mistake was lol. I willtry to go into inverted from a tighter loop. That over head stuff still confuses me lol.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2012, 01:43:23 PM »
Yeah Bill, I just wish I knew what my mistake was lol. I willtry to go into inverted from a tighter loop. That over head stuff still confuses me lol.

HI Nathan,

Can you fly "Lazy 8's"?  If so, just extend the inverted part of the "8" farther and farther.  Did you try to go inverted from an inside or outside loop?  An inside loop is MUCH easier to go inverted.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2012, 01:51:07 PM »
I came in from an inside loop. I just let the loop get big. I seriously do not know what happened. I thought I had it and then whammy it just went straight into the dirt lol. I don't remember putting incorrect input into the handle. I think I just didn't put enough "wheels" input in. From the height it was coming it was similar to a wing over and I just wasn't ready for it. I should have aborted it when I knew I was too high to be comfortable. My dad mentioned the method of extending lazy 8's I may give this a try.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Nathan,

Looks airworthy!! Did a great job.

The ground must have been soft? Did you clean the engine?

You know what GA pilots say? "Altitude is your friend."

I'm moving slowly on my Flite Streak but have a great idea for a scheme.

Charles

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
LOL umm nope the ground torn my durn wing off lol. Yeah I cleaned and took everything apart. I did get a chance to fly her today and everything is great. I did change fuel to Omega with 4 oz. of castor and the engine runs better. The wet too dry 2 stroke was wonderful. She seemed to loaf around flat and gets to town when manuevered. I am super pleased. These were some of the best runs I've had with her yet. It sounds crazy but I think my engine is finally breaking in. I didn't know how many hours were on it prior to me getting it but it has left grey matter on my covering until today and boy did it run great. I didn't try for inverted tody but it's coming. 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »
Once you get the lazy 8"s down it will all seem too easy.  Your repair looks great. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #170 on: August 04, 2012, 06:22:01 PM »
I got er up on er back and flew about three or four laps before I crashed it again. I know it's all part of the show but it's kinda annoying. I had to pull the rest of the wing out and am begining the repairs. It's pretty bad off but it'll go back together.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
I got er up on er back and flew about three or four laps before I crashed it again. I know it's all part of the show but it's kinda annoying. I had to pull the rest of the wing out and am begining the repairs. It's pretty bad off but it'll go back together.

Nathan,

Sorry to hear that. What exactly is it you're doing?

Maybe you should bring more than one model to the field, or set your van up for "instant, on the spot, repairs."

Two down and two more to go! Here's my Flite Streak with the second wing panel doped. Took the shot while the dope was still wet.

Charles

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »
That's awesome Charles. I don't have another 40"+ model. Thats why I am building another FS LOL. I have a junior that needs some repairs and a 1/2A that I do not like but no other big boys. On the field repairs don't exactly work with broke off wings lol. I had to pull the wing outta the fuse to get at this break. I'll get her back together in a day or two. Flying inverted is a bit.. I got out of the manuever and flew it about three laps the first one was just to try and get it settled then I tried to bring it out and didn't put enough control into it and it ended up behind my head and I flew it up stairs for a lap and then I brought it back down to try and get it off its back and the wind gave it a good push and I wasn't able to save it. We had a super bad corner because of the wind and I shouldn't have even tried it but hey it's all about learning so I don't mind wrecking my stuff if I am making progress. I can't stand wrecking cause of dumb stuff like hitting a rut on takeoff and the model coming in on you and then it bounces nd pulls the handle out of your hand and then does a wing over by itself and pummels itself into the ground. That peeves me off but not a manuever that ends in pieces that is just part of the game. 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #173 on: August 05, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »
Nathan,

Someone cuts Flite Streak kits.

Possibly they would just make a wing kit or two. You may be needing them.

Yeah Baby!

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »
I'm putting it back together, it's gonna take some time though. I'm also erning where to bolster the airframe. I would suggest using some hardwood inserts in the spar top and bottom caps from one side of the center sheeting to the other. If I remember you re using a one piece leading edge which is probably stronger than my two piece but I'm inserting hardwood doublers in the leading edge as well. It's all learning and I love learnin.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2012, 05:02:10 PM »
I'm putting it back together, it's gonna take some time though. I'm also erning where to bolster the airframe. I would suggest using some hardwood inserts in the spar top and bottom caps from one side of the center sheeting to the other. If I remember you re using a one piece leading edge which is probably stronger than my two piece but I'm inserting hardwood doublers in the leading edge as well. It's all learning and I love learnin.

Nathan,

The cost of an education.

Remember, no matter what they say, no matter what you read, when it comes time, you are the one that's doing it.

I don't see anybody at my door holding my hand, you?

My silk job? it'll probably come off in flight.

I haven't put the rudder on yet. I was going to leave it off because someone said they lost there's in flight and they had greater line tenson without it.

Holding the rudder gave me an idea for a scheme. So, I'm working on the Flite Streak today.

One wing left to silk and dope.

Photos of your wreck?

Charles

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »
Charles I would not omit the rudder. The plane was designed with it. If it was not needed I am sure the George would have omitted it. Due to decreased engine weight and increased power added to adjustable leadouts and weight boxes the need for lots of rudder offset have diminished;however, I would not start with no rudder. I would simply apply less offset. I am not feeling up to pictures of this mess lol. I'll be posting mainly pictures of the progress on the second FS rather than the pieces of the one I'm flying.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2012, 05:18:37 PM »

HI Nathan,

You know what they about when you quit learning............. ;D

Just remember, bolster up the area of repair, but you cannot make it "crash proof".  Just try and make good solid repairs with out adding too much weight.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline nathan Metzner

• Commander
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2012, 05:32:22 PM »
I'm trying to be conscious of the weight but I am tired of the wing breaking so close to the fuse. If I can beef it up in that area so that it will break further out then it will be easier to repair. Oh did I mention that I am getting a 4-2 break out of my OS that is a hoot.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
Wish I was there to help you in person.   Learning to fly by yourself can be a pain as I did that years and years ago.   One secret I was for learning invert flying was to lay my hand on its back, I am right handed,  if the plane got ahead of me, I would stop moving the hand and the plane would come backover in an outside loop by itself.  Once you get over the fear of the ground then you start working on getting the handle verticle.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »
You say you have a 1/2A plane? Is it capable of inverted flight? If so, use it to learn then switch to the larger model. That is how I taught my son to fly inverted after he wrecked 3 larger planes. He used a Brodak Wildcat without landing gear. A 1/2 Flite Streak would be even better. Flown over grass crashes are usually a non-event with 1/2A models, a good thing when you are learning. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2012, 06:12:33 PM »
Any of them, but especially the 1/2A, will teach you what you need to learn about inverted flight by using ~10' lines and just swinging it around. I learned a lot with a 1/2A "Half Fast" back in Jr. High, 50+ years ago, especially not to believe my two older brothers. Just don't attempt to make more than 15-30 sec. flights, or you'll fall on your beak.  y1 Steve

PS: I'm pretty sure that you can buy a complete wing kit for any Brodak kit, plus the plans include enough info to build the whole model from fresh scratch. Sometimes, that's easier. Also, a good way to fix stuff is to slip it back together straight and neat, hit all the breaks with CA, and then cut out the seriously broken areas and splice in new wood. I kinda like spruce spar doublers, run out several rib bays and tapered over at least one rib bay.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 06:37:18 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »
Nathan,

Where the hell are ya!

This Post has been idle for way to long.

Got my Flite Streak silked, all four panels! only 400 coats of dope, but who's counting. Weight box too!  ;D

Still without the tail. Much easier and less costly to ship this way, I may sell it when completed. The buyer can apply the tail.

Colors anyone?

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here