News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radio Control of COntrol-line?  (Read 5245 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Radio Control of COntrol-line?
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:49:29 PM »
Well I just received my April issue of Model Aviation.  Every other month it has a Column called Control Line Scale by Bill Boss.  In this particular issue they are advocating the use of a 2.4 GHz RC controller to run auxiliary functions on scale and carrier control line aircraft, such as throttle, tail hook and etc.  They state that it's time has come because it will no longer interfere with RC flying.  The present rules state that all of the controlling information must be transmitted down the control lines.  Even before 2.4 GHz came along people have concocted ways to talk to the aircraft without sending the information down the control lines.  The most notable is IR (InferRed).  So the argument that 2.4 GHz should be approved because it does not interfere with other RC activities does not wash. Noninterfering methods have been around a long time.  I must admit that insulated lines and 3 line setups add weight and drag – but so what - it impacts every one the same.

I realize that some think that all electronics should be banned form control-line flying but I will not go that far.  As every one knows I use an electronic throttle.  On my Extra 300S I turn the smoke ON-OFF with a servo.  But I do think ALL control functions should travel down the control lines of a Control-Line model.  No RF, IR, ultrasonic or any airborne control should be permitted. Heck with a 3D foamy you can fly in a 60'R circle - that would get rid of all of the line drag.

R%%%%   S?P   n1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Robert Jones

• Ensign
  • AMA 34191
Re: Radio Control of COntrol-line?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
There seem to be two groups of thought in Control-Line these days:

Those that embrace new technology and find ways to use it.
And those that want to keep things exactly as they were in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Not putting either down, just saying that some will enjoy it while others will be unhappy about it.
"Is That Remote Control Or Does It Fly On Strings?"

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
If allowing 2.4 gets more new blood in the event relative to those who might use that as an excuse to stop flying CL scale, then I would consider it a good thing. I do down the line with a JR radio in the direct servo control mode. You can probably buy a used one of these real cheap at your local RC field as those guys are (have) switched to 2.4 GHz. Get them before they are gone; the 2.4 radios don't have DSC.
Chuck

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »
Interesting point, Chuck. I guess I won't be tossing my older equipment.
I think it'll be a while before the Scale guys want anything more than DC input for electronics.
As far as people not wanting any electrics, I remember models with timed and internal mechanically signaled controls and mechanical options way back in the 60's.
Chris...

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: Radio Control of Control-line?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »
How many of you remember the rivalry between Dick Byron and Jack Sheeks on how many lines he could have on his scale model?

I think the top numbers were Dick 6 lines and Jack 7 lines!
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »
But wasn't one of Jack's lines just a static do-nothing line? LL~ LL~ LL~
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
It would be easier to fly one with zero lines.  No need for rules change politics.
Paul Smith

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 08:38:52 AM »
Jack and I have had a lot of laughs about that. He is  a very good friend and I love his attitude. God bless him. H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
Didn't Dick Byron fly with Zero lines? In carrier I fly with Zero lines, three to be exact!

Since we are talking about CONTROL LINE models, it seems that by definition the control should come from the lines.  I have no problem with using RF control on sport models, and have considered it myself many times. But for competition, CONTROL LINE is THE defining parameter, not model size, not engine size, not performance, not competition objective, simply the fact that the model is controlled by line(s). Either you accept the challenge of working within that framework or you don't.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »
Didn't Dick Byron fly with Zero lines? In carrier I fly with Zero lines, three to be exact!

Since we are talking about CONTROL LINE models, it seems that by definition the control should come from the lines.  I have no problem with using RF control on sport models, and have considered it myself many times. But for competition, CONTROL LINE is THE defining parameter, not model size, not engine size, not performance, not competition objective, simply the fact that the model is controlled by line(s). Either you accept the challenge of working within that framework or you don't.

My point exactly - well said!

H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:08 AM »
John
My first contest grade CL Scale model was a P-38.  I thought since I needed two lines for the elevator control why not also use them to control the other functions in the model, Right Throttle, Left Throttle, Flaps, Retracts and Brakes.  

Thus U/Tronics Control was born.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:37:53 AM »
I say as long as the elevator is still controlled by the two or one line, let the rest of the functions be controlled how ever the individual wants.   Just as long as it doesn't interfere with the radio control planes.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »
OK, I don't fly C/L scale... yet. ;D  it is harder to get a "handle on" than the guys who are directly involved in it understand.  By that I mean, the rules in the AMA Rule book sound like Arabic at times.  Those whom have been involved for years, or who live near someone who has been, can "see" what is required and go from there.  Living in an area where no one flies C/L, or scale of any kind, it could well be written in hieroglyphics.  If Dale Campbell lived much closer, or Richard Schnider  (sp?), then maybe I would have a better chance at getting started. ;D

So, my opinion is probably a moot point.  But here goes:  I believe Control Line is just that.  A model airplane controlled by "lines".  Clancy has awesome systems (even though I am still not completely sure which components I need! LOL!!) but they are consistent, pretty fail safe, and use the "LINES" to control the model airplane.  That seems to exactly "fit" the definition of "Control Line".  Using just two lines to control the elevator and using a R/C system to do the rest just doesn't fit that same criteria in my opinion.  And allowing the use of same isn't going to greatly increase the participation in C/L Scale on any level.  The problems of participation in C/L events goes much deeper than the system(s) allowed to control functions.

Again, I know the opinion of a "non participant" never carries much weight, but I would really like to BE a participant in the event, going as far as having at least one model framed up.  So, to that extent, I have an opinion.  I am sure the participants will get what they want as has been the case in C/L forever, and to that point several events have pretty much died, or became the playground of a few die hards.

The problem is, most everyone "here" has always been gracious with my questions and have offered help in all cases.  I just need a book along the lines of "C/L Scale for Dummies".  Simply reading the rules does nothing to explain what is actually "needed to compete".  ;D  My infatuation comes from the actual viewing in past times at the NATS of Scale C/L planes flying and looking awesome doing so. (Jack Sheets calling out "Scale Crash Landing" when one of his gear would not extend was hilarious!)  The building and actual flying, or the researching of a scale C/L model is not a problem, knowing exactly what to show up with, and how to present it, is the unknown.  It's tough when you live at least 100 miles from a scale competitor, and no events are with in a day's drive.  The MCLS did have "Unofficial Scale" in a couple classes for a short period, but dropped it before I could even have a chance to enter the first time. Dale and Richard put it on, IIRC.

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 04:36:03 AM »
My Last 3-line CL scale model was in 1991 and it was converted over to electronic controls very quickly. I have flown with all types, Single channel, DSC (JR radios), converted radios, IR and other systems.

The world of model airplanes has changed drastically in the last ten years, electric power has come of age and glow engines were going for cheap at the last RC auction I was at. If our sport is to survive we need to allow new technology to be used within reason.

I was flying with Virgil Wilbur in southern California at one point in the early 1990's and he did not want to try electronic controls, he said that for 3 years, then one day he decided to give it a try and he told me flat out that he wasn't going to like it but willing to give one model a try. After the maiden flight of that model, he put his handle down and only had one question for me...."how do I convert the rest of models to electronics controls?". Within two weeks had cut every 3rd line and installed electronics in every model he had.

My point is that we can embrace the 2-line control for the bellcrank and elevator, that should not change, but adding any form of controls for the throttle, retracts and other functions does not detract from the sport of Control Line.

Remember the use of electronic controls allows for the use of recievers, electric speed controls and the new brushless electric motors without any mechanical linkages. I flew my Hanger Nine cub with the older astro flight brushed motors for 8 years and use the JR radio for throttle control, it worked great.

Happy landings,
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »
Easy? - Yes.

Proper for Control Line? - NO.

Just get rid of ALL the lines and post it on the RC forum.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:02:58 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 09:33:47 AM »
Some people are just die hards.   I still have the system I got from Fred a few years ago.  Just haven't decided what plane to put it in.   Also have the system that Ken Wilson of RC Hobbies in KCK made for me.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 10:57:27 AM »
What sort of electronics are you talking about? For control line, it would seem appropriate to have everything happen through the lines. Using radio for some functions would be awkward without major modifications to the transmitter.

In another thread there's a couple of things about electronic controls that work through normal un-insulated lines. ... and I like that general idea.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=20946.0
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Grant Hiestand

• New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »
I’ve been flying electronic controls down the lines since 1990.  Fred Cronenwett and I have campaigned models with electronic controls for years, trying to get folks more interested in CL Scale, because that’s what we love.  We did not want to see the sport die out.  I still fly scale very regularly with the Circle Cutters CL club in Chicago. 

Recently I switched to 2.4ghz control for my Piper Cub.  I was thrilled with the results!  The advantages are obvious: 
1.   I can use regular flying lines again, without the need for the thick plastic coating.  This makes the model fly cleaner.
2.   I can still control scale options exactly like I did before with the radio sending the signal down the lines, so all of my current scale planes need only have the receiver changed out, nothing else.

I bought a Park Zone Wildcat (RC model) and installed a belcrank in it and currently fly it 2.4ghz as well.  (Now there’s a switch:  flying what was supposed to be an ‘RC’ model as a CL scale model.)

I can understand wanting to keep certain events ‘pure’ from a nostalgia standpoint.  I think the SAM fliers limit certain technologies in their models.  But electronics in a CL model through the lines or 2.4ghz controlled, in no way give me a crushing advantage over any other fliers’ model.  I know from experience:  Kieth Trostle beat me at the Northwest Regionals in the 90’s with his Martin Baker 3-line model while I flew my Spacewalker with electronic controls.  In the end, it came down to his superb craftsmanship in static and his piloting skills that took the field that day. 

Last fall I put in for a rule change for the 2.4ghz on the next rules cycle regarding Scale Competition.  In my mind, it will only benefit the hobby, giving us just another tool to use to better CL flying.  Scale fliers in general already fly electronic controls; this would do little to affect how we fly.  As for other CL events?  Let them decide how they best want to direct their events.

As an interesting parting note, I’ve recently tried RC flying.  After watching the other fliers 'ooh' and 'ahh' over realtime telemetry sent back to their radios showing what the onboard voltage was of the onboard flight pack, I had to smile to myself at this vibrant group.  These modelers LOVE every new technological gadget that comes along and embrace it.  RC fliers are constantly pushing the envelope, gaining new members as they do so.  Why can’t we be more like that?  The younger generation of fliers today embrace all things new and electronic.  We want to attract new members and whether we like it or not, the world of electronics will continue to advance.

I love CL flying, and I don’t want to see it fade away.  When folks at the field see my models flying with electronic controls, they get excited and ask how they too can do what I’m doing.  I know that some will folks will long to keep the status quo, and it’s fine that they would disagree with my viewpoint. 

But as for me, I’m for charging forward towards the future. Even with 2.4ghz controls, it’s still a control line model.  And I’ll still be out in the field with my CL handle in hand, radio on my hip, the sun in my face, flying the CL models I love.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
I had to smile to myself at this vibrant group.  These modelers LOVE every new technological gadget that comes along and embrace it.  RC fliers are constantly pushing the envelope, gaining new members as they do so.  Why can’t we be more like that?  The younger generation of fliers today embrace all things new and electronic.  We want to attract new members and whether we like it or not, the world of electronics will continue to advance.

Glow wiped ignition engines.  Electric will probably wipe out wet engines.  Electric, foamy and 2.4 ghz radios have made every back yard an RC flying field.  RC has pretty much wiped out Controll line.  So I say adding an RF link to scale aircraft will not save Control line from becoming a declining hobby.  My personal opinion is that it will not add or detract people to the hobby.  Control line is destine to be for those that love it for what it is - a sport that is harder than it looks to do well.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »
OK, so RC's the future and FF and CL are the past.

So go ahead and fly RC and let those who want to live in the past alone.
Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »
Mr. Smith knows the rules allow DC electronics, he just wants all new to the hobby to leave the event before they get involved.
Chris...

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »
I have serious doubts that allowing RF control of functions on a CL plane would bring more fliers into the hobby. I like CL and would fly it under any circumstances. That said I don’t have a problem with RF Control Systems. Electrical control through the lines is currently allowed and as many of you have noted, used.  Personally I have only built one plane in the last 2 years that did not use electric control through the lines, (Clancy’s U/Tronics). I don’t really see any difference if the signals are run via hard wire, RF or infrared. As long as they don’t cause interference problems with other fliers, why not?

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 06:56:52 AM »
Welcome Fred!  Glad to see you posting here.  H^^
AMA 59633

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 08:12:25 AM »
Some people are just die hards.   I still have the system I got from Fred a few years ago.  Just haven't decided what plane to put it in.   Also have the system that Ken Wilson of RC Hobbies in KCK made for me.   

Hey Doc,

I didn't know you had one of Ken Wilson's original digital C/L Scale control systems.  That was the first of it's kind in the world, and pioneered sending digital signals down insulated control lines to control RC servos.  It was developed by Ken in 1973 after a talk with fellow FAI team member Mike Stott and myself at the '73 Oshkosh Nats.  We debuted the new systems at the '74 Scale World Championships in Lakehurst.  By the '76 WC the Russians had duplicated our system, and before long the rest of the world followed.  In the 1980s I gave my system to Australia Graves, but then shortly after acquired Mike Stott's original system, which I still have.  It should be in the AMA Museum (one of these days).

2.4 is the next logical step IMO. It would allow us to get rid of the insulated lines.  Think of the performance benefits!  It would really be exciting.  With 2.4 on plain lines I could have looped my Zlin!!

Mike

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 09:31:22 AM »
My opinion was simply based on the fact that electronic controls have been in use close to 40 years now, and it has been through the lines.  That, to me, is what the term "Control" line means.  If I am to get involved in C/L Scale, I am expecting to use "control lines".  If I have to get a radio system to get involved, then I guess I would have to, if I really wanted to compete.  But it seems it would no longer really "feel" like I was flying true control line.

In truth, I believe the people it actually affects are the ones to make the decision.  I'm not involved, yet, so I don't have a dog in the hunt.  Sounds like this will become part of the AMA rules anyway, since by the time something like this gets discussed on a "message board", it is already a given.  Out of pure curiosity, will it affect any of those that may aspire to fly in the FAI World Championships, or is that venue no longer around?

Then, again, maybe this is something akin to dropping BOM in CLPA.........

Of course, I could now use this as an excuse to not finish a scale C/L model, or enter in any scale event! LL~

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
2.4 is the next logical step IMO. It would allow us to get rid of the insulated lines.
It seems to be quite possible to send the signals via normal lines, as discussed in the other thread I linked a couple of days ago.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
I have asked Floyd to send me some more info, but it looks as if it is just an encoded on/off signal. For multi-function electric control you need a more complicated waveform. It would be great if Floyd's system would work for that. I use lightly coated lines that I make myself, not the heavy nylon coated fishing lines. It does not take much insulation, but I have not figured out how to eliminate it completly.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 08:44:48 PM »
I have asked Floyd to send me some more info, but it looks as if it is just an encoded on/off signal. For multi-function electric control you need a more complicated waveform. It would be great if Floyd's system would work for that. I use lightly coated lines that I make myself, not the heavy nylon coated fishing lines. It does not take much insulation, but I have not figured out how to eliminate it completly.

What do you coat your lines with?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
I use water base polyurethane, I've tried oil base too, but it does not seem to be necessary. Usually two coats just to be safeand ensure coverage

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »
I'm with Doc on this one. As long as the pitch mode is controlled by lines, the model qualifies as being C/L. Auxilliary functions should be able to be controlled by any safe means. Time to come out of the dark ages and increase participation in C'L scale. The draggy insulated lines are a significant participation deterrent IMHO.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 08:41:21 PM »
I'm with Doc on this one. As long as the pitch mode is controlled by lines, the model qualifies as being C/L. Auxilliary functions should be able to be controlled by any safe means. Time to come out of the dark ages and increase participation in C'L scale. The draggy insulated lines are a significant participation deterrent IMHO.
Does the pitch mode have to direct mechanical connect or can it have electronics involved?  Right now as I read it FIA is direct connect - AMA can have electronics as long as pitch control is through the lines.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 08:48:11 AM »
I have two types of electronic control systems that I use with my  CL scale and carrier models, Single channel and the JR radios with DSC  (Direct servo Connection).

All of my models have the traditional CL bellcrank, leadouts and I fly with a 2-line stunt handle. If you ignore the electronic controls the model is a CL scale or carrier model, I just choose to use the electronic controls to move the throttle, flaps, retracts or other features on the model.

Both systems require a waveform that changes the position of the servo. Single channel is very simple in that it has a circuit board, throttle stick and a battery. the single channel system has been called a servo driver and if the lines are shorted out the system will stop working. The lines need to be insulated.

The DSC system is basically a RC unit that has a feature designed for RC pilots to be used in the pit area and directly connects the transmitter to the reciever thru two wires without tranmistting a frecuency. Again the waveform adjusts the width of the waveform to control the position of the servo.

Both systems require the lines to be insulated. I choose to use the nylon coated lines to keep things simple. They are durable and last a very long time. I still have lines that I was flying with 15 years ago.

the 2.4 Ghz will allow lines to be bare wire and greatly simplify the installation and use of the system and improve the performance of the model.

One huge advantage of electronics controls is that the JR radios that I use with DSC have end point adjustment and servo reversing. I can use the end point adjustment to get the idle set just right in a matter of minutes. I did that same thing with my 3-line corsair back in 1990 and it took over 1/2 hour to adjust the pin location in the handle to get it set just right.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »
The point values of 20 for retracts and 10 for anything else that moves are based on mechanical systems that require a high degree of skill and ingenuity to achieve.

If the events are dumbed down to point where the so-called "modeler" just buys off-the-shelf RC gear and enters a 10-pound dog that can barely take off, then the point values of the options needs to be reduced to reflect ease of performance.

They have a whole big catagory for people who like electronics.  Why try to muscle it in where it does not belong?
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »
There is a darker side to the issue that hasn't surfaced so far in this discussion. Allowing an RF link opens up the potential for some skullduggery. What's to stop someone from setting up a system that uses an auxilliary controller, stationed clandestinly outside the flight circle, to do all of the fancy stuff? Don't think for a moment that this is the first mention of such an idea.

C/L General Rule Paragraph #2 is quite clear. All control inputs whether mechanical or electronic have to go down the lines.

And while on the topic of technology, don't forget that C/L "Fly-By-Wire" technology has been demonstrated. There is no mechanical link between the bellcrank and the elevator.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »
Quote - "They have a whole big catagory for people who like electronics.  Why try to muscle it in where it does not belong?"

Looks to me as though nobody is trying "muscle it in" since the majority of folks, in fact, all but one, want to use it. 

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »
Does the pitch mode have to direct mechanical connect or can it have electronics involved?  Right now as I read it FIA is direct connect - AMA can have electronics as long as pitch control is through the lines.

Again, only my humble opinion ...
As long as the lines are used to control the pitch, what difference does it make whether the control is mechanical or electronic? The lines cannot just be a tether to keep the aircraft from flying out of the circle. The building and flying skill of the pilot is what counts regardless.

In todays world we have no choice but to embrace technology or be relegated to the ranks of dinosaurs.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
Quote - "They have a whole big catagory for people who like electronics.  Why try to muscle it in where it does not belong?"

Looks to me as though nobody is trying "muscle it in" since the majority of folks, in fact, all but one, want to use it. 

If I am the one you referring to - I love electronics in controll line. E-flight has to have electronics.  My Extra 300S has 6 servos and a ton of electronics - however no RF - it all goes down the lines.  Truth be known it really doesn't matter if RF is made legal or not.  If you look closely many of the 2010 NAT winners in scale used 3 line mechanical throttle and 4-C wet engines.  The big advantage to RF throttle controll will be that it makes E-flight scale easy to set up.  SO if I am your one hold out against RF I could really care less one way or the other.  As the old saying goes follow the rules and do your best.  But above all have fun!!! #^

PS RF control may be over all cheaper and for the plug and play generation it will be easy!  LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
Again, only my humble opinion ...
As long as the lines are used to control the pitch, what difference does it make whether the control is mechanical or electronic? The lines cannot just be a tether to keep the aircraft from flying out of the circle. The building and flying skill of the pilot is what counts regardless.

In todays world we have no choice but to embrace technology or be relegated to the ranks of dinosaurs.

Under the current AMA rules I do believe that you could fly the model tethered, say with a twisted insulated pair of wires attached between the model and a chest harness.  You would then fly the model with a direct connect RC flight box that sends the controll down the twisted pair. This would comply with the rule that the lines are used to control pitch - break a line and you crash!  Just think with this set up if the lines go slack line you could fly level until the lines tightened back up.  I have actually considered trying this and showing up at a contest to see what happens.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
John, if you will read the quote I referred to, you will see that I couldn't possibly be referring to you.  Please check it out again.  There has only been one individual grousing about electronics in C/L and he's the one I quoted.  I don't how you thought I meant you.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 02:03:46 AM »
But above all have fun!!! #^

PS RF control may be over all cheaper and for the plug and play generation it will be easy!  LL~
Is there a division here, between those who "wanna have fun" and those who want all the worldly fame, fortune and glory of winning a Scale C/L contest?  #^  LL~  n~

I consider the physical connection from hand to elevator an essential part of the Fun in C/L. For the rest, I am all for making it reliable and easy to set up, in whatever way that can be accomplished. YMMV.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 06:23:36 AM »
And while on the topic of technology, don't forget that C/L "Fly-By-Wire" technology has been demonstrated. There is no mechanical link between the bellcrank and the elevator.

This is for sure true and AMA legal.  Both of my Extra 300S ships use Fly-By-Wire.  Every thing is normal till you get inside the aircraft.  At that point the bellcrank drives a pot on a servo driver and two servos provide the mussel to controll the ship.  By the way Clanceys electronic single channel throttle module will work great as the servo driver.

In the picture attached you can see the bellcrank and pot.  By the way I did not do this because it flyes better (in fact it flyes the same). I did it because I converted a large RC kit and it was all I had room for.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
The point values of 20 for retracts and 10 for anything else that moves are based on mechanical systems that require a high degree of skill and ingenuity to achieve.

Paul,

Small point of historical accuracy.  As I mentioned earlier, the first use of digital signals down the lines to control R/C servos was in 1974 by Mike Stott and myself.  But there were other non-mechanical ways to actuate scale operations with electrical power down the lines that were tried all through the 1960s, and probably the 1950s.  I never used one, or was around to witness them, but numerous magazine articles and Nats reports of that time mentioned such systems.  None that became common place, like the later digital systems, but they were around.  So you can't say that the point values were based on mechanical systems only.

In fact the point values that you quote are from C/L Sport Scale which didn't exist at the Nats, or in the rule book, until 1977 or '78 (memory slightly foggy on the exact date the sport scale rules were adopted).  So even the use of today's digital controls pre-dates the point values you mentioned. 

Nonetheless I understand your contention.  You want more points for doing it the hard way.  Always difficult to draw the line on that idea?  Where do we stop?  Should I get more points if I cut down my own balsa tree and mill my own sheets.  Should I get more points for building my own engine?  Historically "building it yourself" has a bearing on the static portion of the scale score, but not too much on the flying portion.

Mike Gretz

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
One line at a time, the rules have been picked down to nothing.

BOM, if properly enforced, effects static and flying equally - if you don't build the plane, you have nothing to enter.

Two piston engines is an achievement worthy of A LOT of points, almost a sure win (if works).  Two electric motors, a no-brainer.

Those lobotomized RC setups.  I was never sure they didn't really still go through the air (at lease some of 'em).  When they came out I knew that full RC was just one tweak away.  And here it is.

Next step: a servo for the elevator and a token control line.  Then do away with the token line.

Get your orders in the Tower Hobby.  Buy that RTF electric scale job.  Maybe they'll even offer a version with the bellcrank already installed.

Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »
The handle the pilot is holding is still doing elevation/pitch of the model, right?   I admire someone with the determination and talent/skill to do the electronics.   Also isn't there an event in Scale for those that want to compete or get their feet wet in scale competition?   Plus why is it that some people are against inovation and progress?   S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 09:54:16 PM »
Progress is improvement within the rules.  Genuine technical progess does not need a blockbuster rule change.

What is proposed here is not progress, but rather violation of the fundamental rule that makes Control Line Control Line.

If you enter a JetSki in a swimming race its a lot faster, but its not swimming anymore.

The normal way of doing what you propose is to make a "local event" off to the side and see how it goes.  If it works, then try to get oit into the rule book.  Dumping untested ideas into The Rule Book is not how its done.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:20:59 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
So...

What is the point of tethering an R/C model?
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »
So...

What is the point of tethering an R/C model?

The point is ... it is a lot easier to become knowledgeable in basic electronic installation for auxilliary functions than to become knowledgeable in clock repair skills to do the same. Ergo, more participation with more functionallity possible, and still fly with the handle for primary flight control. I see it as a win win situation.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »
Win-win,

EXCEPT - People who have built models that comply with honest Control LKine rules.

EXCEPT - People who have invested time and money in businesses based on complying with the rules.

Fortunately, this lunacy will have to clear one, and maybe several Contest Boards to get into The Rule Book.  The is the biggest and dumbest idea since lowering the age limits on Junior & Senior, which instantly destroyed both age groups.

-------------------

So the cost of a CL scale model goes up $300 and we're all still equal.  Where's the Win-Win in that?
Paul Smith

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »
Some people embrace new technology, some avoid it. I choose to be in the former category.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 03:16:41 AM »
If everybody wanted the newest thing, everybody would just buy RC park flyers and let Free Flight and Control Line vanish. 

The ongoing existance of the above is evidence that sport is not like business or war.  You don't need the newest thing to survive.  Archery and horse racing are still alive as sports, for the same reasons as FF and CL.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here