News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Retracts for stunt  (Read 1542 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Retracts for stunt
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:38:42 PM »
This system for retracting landing gear for a stunter uses the lines to transmit the encoded signal.  However, lines are NOT insulated and can be twisted any number of loops, etc.  The technique is of my own design.  The encoder is part of the handle and the airplane electronics is installed in the outboard wing.  The model is a 62" span semi-scale Spitfire.

The electronics is a bit complicated!  However, the lines are NOT insulated, and the encoding technique is legal (not radio controlled, optical, infra-red, or anything else that radiates)

If anyone is interested in this, I can provide documentation, schematic diagrams, etc.

Please contact my e-mail
floydecarter@gmail.com
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Retracts for stunt
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »
The F2D guys have been using that technique for shut-offs for a couple of years. Encoded signal down the lines, a receiver that only hears its own encoding, and a mechanism (servo, whatever) that triggers a shutoff if the signal goes away. The source of the signal is in the handle, and they can terminate the flight with a switch there.  Seems like a similar thing could be easily used for terminating the engine run at the completion of a stunt flight. Very minor weight penalty for the shut-off.

Bill Lee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 02:03:35 AM »
The F2D guys have been using that technique for shut-offs for a couple of years. Encoded signal down the lines, a receiver that only hears its own encoding, and a mechanism (servo, whatever) that triggers a shutoff if the signal goes away.
Is that available commercially somewhere?

Sounds like it should work with electric power systems too.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:28:49 AM »
Floyd:
NICE piece of work.  Are your retracts mechanical, pneumatic or electric? 

PerttiMe: Good call - I think the ECL'ers would be well served with the ability for a kill switch at the handle.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »
I think the ECL'ers would be well served with the ability for a kill switch at the handle.
Or even stop and start switch. Retracts have to go up and down, so power could go on and off.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »

Not sure. Will ask.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 03:21:57 PM »
Check out  www.technohobby.com.ua . or maybe Viko.Look in the accesories section for the shutoffs.Be careful you might find other stunt related stuff (Stalker engines).

Brad LaPointe

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »
This system is now configured for retracts using a standard R/C retract servo and Dave Brown mechanical retracts.  The advantage over the Jomar system (it uses a microphone to detect when engine stops) is that the flyer can retract or lower the gear at any time during flight:  a definite advantage for precision landings.  Imagine, dropping the gear just 2 seconds before touchdown! 

The system can be modified to control a high current switch, or tapped into an electric motor controller for low level switching.

Although C/L scale flying is able to use insulated lines and multiplexed coding for multiple operations, this system does not use insulated lines, and works equally well whether lines are un-wrapped, or with lots of loops in them.

The main disadvantage is the total system weight of about 5 oz. including mechanical retracts, battery, servo and the circuit board.  That is why I'm using it on a very large stunter of 62" wingspan and RO-Jett 75 power!  A plane this size would typically weigh about 60 oz.  So 65 oz with the retract system isn't too far out of line!

Floyd

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:13:23 AM »
hmmm, Technohobby has an electronic shutoff but no explanation what exactly it does or how it does it.
http://www.technohobby.com.ua/online-shop/en/electronic-shutoff-system-f2d

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
Floyd
5 oz penalty does not sound that bad - especially in a large hi-power bird like you are building.  A foot-less Spitfire sounds Awesome!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:03:45 AM »
The Technohobby system is difficult to make out, and they offer no description.  However, from the fuzzy pictures, it appears that the receiver in the plane has a power transistor (good for switching high currents) and what looks like a solenoid unit with fuel line attachments.  That tells me that a power solenoid pinches the fuel line, and stopping the engine.

They show the unit attached to a F2D combat model. 

F.C.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »
hmmm, Technohobby has an electronic shutoff but no explanation what exactly it does or how it does it.
http://www.technohobby.com.ua/online-shop/en/electronic-shutoff-system-f2d

Hi Pertti,

Do you happen to know what currency the prices are listed in?

Thanks
Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »
I have never bought anything from Technohobby but just looking at the pages it seems it is all in US$ but they'll accept payment in almost any currency.

I think many have bought at least engines from them, so will know better.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
I have never bought anything from Technohobby but just looking at the pages it seems it is all in US$ but they'll accept payment in almost any currency.

I think many have bought at least engines from them, so will know better.

Thanks, reading the page in English is a nice feature! LOL!!  I just wasn't sure if the prices shown are in US dollars or Euros or........... ;D

I have a project I just acquired parts for that could really use a rear exhaust Stalker in the .66 or .76 size.  Might be able to pick up a good used one somewhere (but probably not! LOL!!)  I have several .61 PAs but I have never used a Stalker in the big, RE style.  I have run a SE , plain bearing .46 and it is nice.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here