News:

• May 05, 2024, 09:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Open Forum / Re: ADVENTURES IN SPECTRA
« Last post by kenneth cook on Today at 03:22:03 PM »
                 Dan, we were using them for combat but I fly all the sport stuff with the same lines. The only failures we ever encountered was at the line guide at the tip. We would flip our lines now and then because it would fray them were it rubbed on the bushing. It didn't matter what material we used because I was also using the ceramic tip guides used on fishing rods. I love the stuff and I never EVER had a knot fail. The lines always broke where it exited the plane. Most of my  early combat planes were using nylon bushings at the tip guide. It took quite a bit to fray the lines but eventually they would.
« Last post by kiwibrit on Today at 02:18:11 PM »
Wow, once shipping and all the charges have been applied, one of those Berkley hot line tools costs $40 to arrive at my UK home. Times are tight;  I shall experiment to see if a small electric soldering iron will do the job!
Open Forum / Another Legend Gone West.
« Last post by Dan McEntee on Today at 01:04:53 PM »
   It hasn't raised much interest in the national news, what with goofball college kids protesting something that most have no idea about taking up all the media time. Meanwhile, another legend of aviation has passed away and gone west, as they say.

Dick Rutan passed away on May 3rd, and I believe he was 85 years old. Dick is the brother of designer Burt Rutan and to most he is most famous for co-piloting the Voyager experimental aircraft in a non stop flight around the world with out refueling, Dick was also an accomplished test pilot and Air Force veteran.

I had the pleasure and good fortune to have met and spoken with Dick on a few occasions at the KidVenture venue at Oshkosh. he was a frequent speaker on the "Heroes Stage" and was a very good speaker and story teller. he would take questions from the kids and give long, interesting answers to the most simple questions. I remember one kid asking him about the Voyager flight, " How did you go to the bathroom ?" and dick turned that into a hilarious 35 or 40 minute story that I can't even begin to remember!! I just remember it was very funny, very kid oriented, and I remember thinking if the piloting gig  didn't work out for him any more he had a future with kids books and stories!! He ended the story by actually answering the question, and that was if you go to the Smithsonian and look up at the Voyager from below, you can see a small tube protruding from the bottom and see the yellow stain streaking back from it. I wonder if anyone got that speech on tape?

Another meeting was at the C/L circles. I saw a distinguished looking elderly gentleman all decked out in country/cowboy clothing, white cowboy hat and all. He had a gray beard and mustache with aviator sunglasses on that made me think of Col. Sanders!! I did not immediately recognize that it was Dick Rutan.  He watched intently for a while, so I approached him to ask if he had any questions, and he said no, that this was bringing backlots of memories of flying models as a kid. he talked about flying C/L with his brother and what engines and such that they used and I could tell he knew what he was talking about. Then I stepped back a bit and recognized him, and asked if his brother was Burt Rutan , shook his hand and said "Hello Dick!" I offered to let him take a few laps on the trainers but he refused and said the memories were quite enough. We talked about 10 or 15 minuets more and then he had to be moving on to meet some one. He really was a genuinely nice guy to me I have his and Burt's autographs on some KidVenture hats. I have read other articles in magazine about his activities  as a Misty pilot, flying Fast FAC missions in F-100 fighters to mark out targets for bombing and flew over 300 missions in that capacity. I'll have to find out what those articles were in and revisit those.

R.I.P. Dick Rutan

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
« Last post by Lauri Malila on Today at 12:58:50 PM »
A typical failure mode for UHMWPE lines is, at least in free flight, a breakage just next to knot. It looks like some sort of fatigue near a hard point, but in reality it's more like the braided structure opening due to the tight bending near knot, and letting dirt inside the line. Then, when stressed, the dirt and dust eats the line from inside causing the failure.
The cheap lines like PowerPro and such have the waxy treatment that helps a little, but our higher modulus lines (in 150-200 pound range) don't have it and that makes them slightly more fragile in prolonged use.
A good solution is to make a fillet to the knot with soft contact cement, like the UHU for PVC and other soft plastics. It doesn't stick very well to the line but protects the knot well anyway, and prevents sharp bending. L
Open Forum / Re: My P40 Maiden Flight
« Last post by Motorman on Today at 12:36:28 PM »
Black oil is usually from the con rod rubbing the back plate or bushings gone south. Make sure you have the steel washer behind the drive washer. Also, on some high mileage LA46 the sleeve plating can be worn through to the brass in places.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better 2 blade plastic prop than the TT 11x4.5.

MM 8)
Open Forum / Re: Air Brushes
« Last post by Paul Wescott on Today at 12:34:52 PM »
I’m not comfortable saying “this is the one YOU need” because everyone is different.  Different dexterity, different media / paints / inks (you can even put Klass Kote through one but talk to Mr. Klass Kote first), also different climate.

So as a past airbrush user here are some random thoughts.

Paasche is an excellent brand.  Their $20 “EZ” external mix model may do some of what you want.  I would be more likely to buy a HF cheapie with more features.

The Paasche VL (suggested above) is an awesome unit.  There is one “pre-owned” on fee-bay right now for $35, it looks like the same kit for $80 elsewhere.

The thing about the VL is it’s a dual-action airbrush.  You push down on the button (trigger) for air, and the farther you push it the more airflow you get, and you pull it back to pull the needle out of the spray orifice, pulling back a little barely opens the orifice and the further you pull back the bigger the orifice gets.  So controlling the VL is 2-dimensional and you either have to have or develop a talented finger.  The VL is great for t-shirts and fine arts but maybe overkill for canopies etc. And then as if that wasn’t enough, you can swap out the three sizes of tips & needles to give you three different orifice sizes.  The needles also have an adjustment.  For each combo (Sm/Med/Lg) the needle will close off the orifice at the front end of the travel, and open it fully at the back end of the travel.  Lots of people install the needle so it blocks the orifice at the front position, which allows ZERO media through if the air is blowing.  Some folks pull the needle back a bit then lock the adjustment, so there is always room for the media to flow.  Many pros or production users go one further, they use the small needle with the medium tip, and the medium needle with the large tip, so that they can’t really fully block the orifice.  Double-action plus tip/needle selection AND adjustment turns the process into a 3-dimensional juggling act.  I’ve seen intelligent people struggle with it, and I’ve seen half-wits find it effortless.  Go figure.

A single action airbrush only blows air when you press the trigger.  Everything else gets pre-adjusted.  This might be the best solution here.

But the only way to know is to try.

Use a good regulator.  The air compressor should have a tank or you’ll see the paint pulsing out of the brush.

This reply was generated by ChatGPT JUST KIDDING! JUST KIDDING LOL!  Or am I…

Have fun.

« Last post by Dan McEntee on Today at 12:33:02 PM »
   I am on my second season of learning and flying with Spectra lines. So far, the biggest improvement I have seen on the airplanes I have tried it on, is vertical and overhead maneuvers have better tension and feel. I pretty much use the knot that Mike Stinson shows in the video, with a single loop for small models and a double loop for larger airplanes. The experiment continues.

But I'll have to ask the question I have been looking for some one else to ask !! Has there been any kind of failures by anyone?? Just curious. After doing something one way for so many years, it's difficult to put all your faith in a new method in one big leap!!

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
« Last post by kiwibrit on Today at 12:20:16 PM »
Dennis Nunes, thanks.  That looks a very practical solution - I'll buy one.

Colin McRae, thanks.  I'll try Spectra next reel - I have started with Shimano Kairiki because my first flights with this sort of line were with it - courtesy of a kind New Zealand modeller who let me fly a couple of his models ... and I was impressed. I think using a hot wire cutter is a good idea and will probably use it on all future line sets I make with Spectra type line.

Meantime, I shall use the lines I have made up.  The knots are so tight, I don't think there will be trouble, but I shall do frequent line pull checks.
Classifieds / Re: Super Tiger 60's for sale
« Last post by Matt Neumann on Today at 11:57:37 AM »
The two 60 V are sold.  The G is still available.
Classifieds / Re: OS 40 VF
« Last post by Matt Neumann on Today at 11:56:52 AM »
It is sold
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Advertise Here