News:

• May 09, 2024, 06:03:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Team USA and the World Champs  (Read 54663 times)

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Team USA and the World Champs
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »
Great! A solid score on panel B and he should be in good shape for the finals.  I am sure that Orestes and Kenny will do well too.

Derek

I'm guessing that he will need a 1020 to 1030 to make the cut. It is do-able!

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »
It's not difficult for me to believe that the Europeans have some excellent fliers and competitors.  It's a little difficult to swallow that there are 24 or 25 of them better than our guys....I'm not one to criticize judges but this does seem a little MUCH!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »
Does anyone know if those COOL four bladed Carbon props like the one on Kaz's airplane that Kenny is flying are available to ordinary humans?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2014, 08:00:20 PM »
Does anyone know if those COOL four bladed Carbon props like the one on Kaz's airplane that Kenny is flying are available to ordinary humans?

Randy Cuberly
Randy I believe those are Brian Eathers.  He made me some early this year and I am thinking he is the only current source for competitive 4 bladers right now.  Might be another source.  Somebody was/is making some clones I heard.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »
It's not difficult for me to believe that the Europeans have some excellent fliers and competitors.  It's a little difficult to swallow that there are 24 or 25 of them better than our guys....I'm not one to criticize judges but this does seem a little MUCH!

Randy Cuberly

Without "Them" there would not be enough people to hold a World Championships.

Without " Them" there would not be a site for this years contest. (or many others)

"Them" work harder than "You" (make book on it)

I am sure the judges will read your post and do their best to accommodate "You"

Would you care for a glass of water ??

Kim.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
My hat is off to Kenny doing so well with a borrowed plane.  That is some recovery!

Mine also.... now tighten the bolts!

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2014, 08:44:47 PM »
  It's a little difficult to swallow that there are 24 or 25 of them better than our guys....!

Randy Cuberly

Why is that "hard" to swallow?

Many of those 25 have been at it a LONG time.

What is special about our guys?

It might be more a question of what they are presenting and what those judges are looking for!

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2014, 09:00:04 PM »

Why is that "hard" to swallow?

Many of those 25 have been at it a LONG time.

What is special about our guys?

It might be more a question of what they are presenting and what those judges are looking for!

Hi Paul,
Yeah, I understand all that!  It still seems like it happens more in Eastern Rurope than anywhere else.
I don't personally know Kenny or Orestes...I do know Howard and He is a special Guy and I guess I'm just fretting for him!  Probably a lot more than he is!
Maybe just thinking out loud...nothing to worry about.

Thanks,
Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »
Without "Them" there would not be enough people to hold a World Championships.

Without " Them" there would not be a site for this years contest. (or many others)

"Them" work harder than "You" (make book on it)

I am sure the judges will read your post and do their best to accommodate "You"

Would you care for a glass of water ??

Kim.

Hi Kim,
If I was being my "old Self"  I would simply tell you to go Blow It out your....
But I'm not going to do that...because I'm a nice guy.  I'm not criticizing the judges or the organizers, just the circumstances. 
Don't pretend there is no difference in the way "we and they" do things!  Who is right I have no idea, but I do wish things could be more common between us!

I would say that I've been doing this a long time also and have a right to express an opinion without your sarcasm and condemnation!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »
Of those "25 Europeans" (actually 22 of the top 25), there are 3 Chinese, 2 Japanese and a Canadian.

Maybe they're just really good at it?

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »
Randy I believe those are Brian Eathers.  He made me some early this year and I am thinking he is the only current source for competitive 4 bladers right now.  Might be another source.  Somebody was/is making some clones I heard.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info.  I'll contact him.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
Of those "25 Europeans" (actually 22 of the top 25), there are 3 Chinese, 2 Japanese and a Canadian.

Maybe they're just really good at it?

Yeah...I guess so!  Since everyone seemed to miss the point I apologize for having an opinion!

Battered Beaten and Sorry!
Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »
It's not difficult for me to believe that the Europeans have some excellent fliers and competitors.  It's a little difficult to swallow that there are 24 or 25 of them better than our guys....I'm not one to criticize judges but this does seem a little MUCH!

Randy Cuberly

You have to remember that these are teams made up of the 3 best pilots from each country. (Or in some case two best and one "substitute"  ;))
Until you have been to a W/C and spent some time at the practice circle it is hard to grasp how many good fliers there are out there.
This goes for every category.

I have been hopping back and forth between F2D and F2B so have not seen as many flights as I would have liked, but in one I saw Howard was flying his bottoms a bit too high.
And Kenny is flying a borrowed model.

Weather is also a big factor in such long rounds. I had a very nice window after a storm had rolled through for my second flight on circle A and improved from 868 to 964.

Also not sure why you are picking the number as "24 or 25". Orestes is in 19th.

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »
Pat,
Thanks for explaining all that to me.
Since I've only been doing this for 63 years it's nice to have someone more experienced tell me how it works!

I give up!  I'm sure it will all work out in the end.  I will be quite happy when Igor wins again He's a fine gentleman and an incredible flier!

Some time before too long the WC will be here in the US again.  

Times change!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2014, 12:03:59 AM »
Can somebody please convince Igor to fly with his fingers crossed? That might help our guys...  ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2014, 12:18:33 AM »
I like your stand for model , simple, portable and useful.Did you bring it with you?

It's a stool that Marilou bought, with a swimming-pool foam noodle tied to it. A little teetery, but it works.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2014, 12:22:27 AM »
I would highly recommend that Kenny put blue locktight on all four wing bolts and the two alignment bolts at the bottom trailing edge of the wing.

Kenny wanted to keep Kaz's airplane clean.  He didn't want to put stuff on Kaz's airplane that Kaz didn't use. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2014, 12:37:41 AM »
I'm not criticizing the judges or the organizers, just the circumstances. 
Don't pretend there is no difference in the way "we and they" do things!  Who is right I have no idea, but I do wish things could be more common between us!

I think the format is flawed, and that the people who put on European and World Champs don't know how to put on a stunt contest very well. For example, they have one guy pull testing and two separate pull test areas for two circles on the outside of the circles:

|OO|

Having only two circles for 74 contestants makes for long rounds and adds an element of luck. 

The organizers figured that two circles and one practice circle suffice, and that they needed only to mow three donuts out of the dandelions and clover, and only have the circles ready by the day of the contest.  Given that initial condition, though, they have tried hard to make things better.  They brought out a firetruck from town, wet down the circles, and rolled them.  Somebody complained about dust from a road blowing on the combat circles, so they now have a truck continuously sprinkling the road with water.  When it rains, the truck driver takes a nap. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2014, 12:39:05 AM »
I have been hopping back and forth between F2D and F2B so have not seen as many flights as I would have liked, but in one I saw Howard was flying his bottoms a bit too high.

Keith saw that, too.  I'm working on it.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2014, 12:41:02 AM »
I will be quite happy when Igor wins again He's a fine gentleman and an incredible flier!

Yep, not to mention being the life of the party.  He usually practices all day, but disappeared yesterday to rebuild the airplane that Keith Renecle crashed. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2014, 02:46:11 AM »
Do they have Mac Donalds ?  ;) LL~

for World Champs PRECISION Aerobatics , in the 21st century - wonderous electronic contrivances would take
any ' human factor ' out of any scoring . After All its about accuracy - not the slickest paint job or number of stars .

E.P.I. would be for %ages of ' inaccuracy ' over given correct track . Would make it a whole new ballpark . and these days
inexpensive , light & ' High Tech . After All - theres the fancy clocks for timing in T/R & Speed ? Bickering enough in T/R
judgeing , usually .

Only real ' visual ' judgeing could be on video of flights . Virtually impossible to accurately ' inspect ' manoeuvres as flown ,
only get a general idea of the neatness & tidiness of the ' presentation .Not enough time in the day , or minute - to evaluate
say the 17 sides and 18 corners , overlaps and angles in the Square Eight - instantaeneously , for average mortals . :P

Whats the go in  full size international aerobatics these days ? ?  VD~

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #221 on: August 13, 2014, 04:13:44 AM »
Having a look at the score from the first 2 rounds.

There seem to be many interesting points :

The score spread :

1 through 2 = 53 points
2 through 12 = 61 points.
12 through 28 = 71 points.

The question really needs to be asked : What are they placing emphasis on ? After seeing many many stunt contests, usually the guy who is flying the best 1.2.3 wins the event.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #222 on: August 13, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »
Kenny wanted to keep Kaz's airplane clean.  He didn't want to put stuff on Kaz's airplane that Kaz didn't use. 

I understand that. I would advise checking the bolts every couple flights. I am sure that he is already doing that now...

I am happy to see Kenny doing so well with a borrowed plane, it must be a combination of great skill and that awesome PA 75 in the nose.  ;)

Derek

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2014, 09:47:43 AM »
Randy,

I've come to the conclusion that guys in Europe just look at the event differently than we in the US do. It's not intentional (I don't think), but what they look for, what constitutes a good flight is just different there. Maybe it's the FAI scoring system or something, but they seem to just look at it differently. I've seen videos of European flyers and told that the flight was awesome. I watch it and see all kinds of things that would garner low scores here. I imagine they look at what we consider a great flight and do the same thing. I think it's just a difference in viewpoint.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »

Having only two circles for 74 contestants makes for long rounds and adds an element of luck. 

And that is much better that it used to be!  There used to be ONE circle for qualifying. A round would stretch for several days. Talk about changing conditions and luck of the draw!!! Problem is most sites in Europe can't accommodate the extra circles for this new format.

It needs to go back to Sweden once again. It was held on an air base and we had access to the runways. Plenty of practice circles, but they still used only one qualifying circle. It would be easy to have two qualifying circles there.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
Keep us posted on the Team's results today.

Best of luck.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »
Randy,

I've come to the conclusion that guys in Europe just look at the event differently than we in the US do. It's not intentional (I don't think), but what they look for, what constitutes a good flight is just different there. Maybe it's the FAI scoring system or something, but they seem to just look at it differently. I've seen videos of European flyers and told that the flight was awesome. I watch it and see all kinds of things that would garner low scores here. I imagine they look at what we consider a great flight and do the same thing. I think it's just a difference in viewpoint.

Hi Randy,
Yeah, I agree completely with what you said.  It's actually the point I was trying to make last night but guess I got started off by sounding critical (actually I guess I intended to be a little critical) because I was tired and being a curmudgeon anyway, that certainly affects my disposition.  Then it seems like several people insisted on telling me how wrong and "stupid" I am.  I spent the whole day nursing and rewriting a recalcitrant analysis program that wouldn't agree that the world is round and was in a mood to tell the world to go straight to ...uhhh well you know!

At any rate I very strongly feel that a WC should be flown on common ground rules and it seems to me that as mentioned earlier by someone else the current framework seems to be an Eastern European Championship, that they simply let those who wish, compete in!  It wasn't meant to be critical of any particular people or countries.

Why does there have to be two different scoring systems in the world.  Either the FAI should adopt ours or we should adopt theirs.  Personally I don't like the FAI system because it's more complicated than necessary and that tends to lead to more errors in scoring.  Simple math...more things to judge and score equals more potential errors and room for personal grievances to creep in.

At any rate I apologize to anyone I may have offended personally.  That wasn't my intention!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
Unofficial results show Orestes 9th Howard 22nd Kenny 25th. Qualifying is over.

Derek

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
Unofficial results show Orestes 9th Howard 22nd Kenny 25th. Qualifying is over.

Derek

uuuhhhhh!  And?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »
uuuhhhhh!  And?

Randy Cuberly

They take the top 15...

Personally I think the team has done great so far. Few people realize what an intense and long contest this is, it is just as much of an endurance race is it is a precision contest. Also, as some have stated, being that far from home in an unfamiliar place makes it tough to get comfortable. Howard and Kenny being first time team members and first time WC participants makes it even harder to get scored well.

Great job guys and good luck Orestes.

Derek

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2014, 12:24:05 PM »
Congrats to all our team and give em hell Orestes !!!

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »
Good luck to the whole C/L group as well.
AMA 20934

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »
Thanks for representing us there Howard, Kenny, and Orestes.

I know Howard and Kenny must be feeling  down right now. I know you both gave it all you had. Hard to ask for any more.

Go get them Orestes.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »
Howard and Kenny,
Thanks for a tremendous effort.  No one can top that!

Hey Howard...the pressure's off...Have some fun!

Orestes...You're the MAN...Go show them how it's done!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2014, 01:35:27 PM »
Being in Top 25 out of - What? - 69 isn't exactly bad for a first effort at World Championships.
I don't know the who is who of stunt but recognize many Names in top 15 who have been at it a while - and always fly by the International rules and scoring.

Nobody from my country is participating, but I'll let Lauri Malila (Switzerland, qualified 38) represent. I believe his Finnish is still quite fluent  ;)
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
A big congrats to Howard and Kenny even though they didn't make the top 15.  The unofficial scoring shows that the point spread between Howard's 22nd and 15th place was just slightly over 11 points.  That is nothing to be ashamed of.  Well done and look forward to seeing you at the Raider Round-Up next month.
Alan

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Now I have time to post some pictures and fill in some details if I can remember them.  

They posted all the scores.  We could see what judges gave whom what scores.  I don't think the European judges were unfair to us.  Looking at the guys who finished ahead of me, I see some mighty good stunt fliers.  I was a little bummed after my first flight on one circle, but in the end it looks like the judges sorted us out pretty well.

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2014, 04:39:42 PM »
Howard, you are always the connsumate gentleman.  Thanks for representing us, and please pass that on to Kenny as well.  Going by your last post I think you both were top rate flyers for us.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2014, 05:30:38 PM »
Howard, you are always the connsumate gentleman.  Thanks for representing us, and please pass that on to Kenny as well.  Going by your last post I think you both were top rate flyers for us.

What Will said!  y1

Bob Hunt

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #239 on: August 13, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
I am not sure about the "gentleman", but Howard and the rest of the team should be proud for a job well done.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #240 on: August 13, 2014, 08:58:08 PM »
I'm totally impressed by this years team! Two first time members (one with a borrowed model, no less) in the top 25 and within a handful of points of the top 10 is totally awesome. Plus, Orestes is performing solid as usual and made the top 15. Yes!!

-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #241 on: August 13, 2014, 09:17:47 PM »

Ditto ...   THanks  to Howard  Orestes  and Kenny for representing the U.S.
Good job guys !

Randy

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #242 on: August 13, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »
Thank you Howard Kenny and Orestes for putting in the time money and work to go represent the USA at the WCs.

Myself and many others are proud to call you guys our 2014 Team!

Orestes, go out there and show 'em how its done!!  We are pulling for you!!

Doug
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #243 on: August 13, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »
Way to groove boys...way to groove. What an honor to get to go.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #244 on: August 13, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
I second all the congratulations for a job well done by Kenny and Howard.  Howard is no newbie to WC competition and I couldn't agree more with his assessment of the fliers from other countries who we haven't the pleasure to see fly here but who really know how the stuff is supposed to look.

If there is any down side to flying across the pond in a "very" major competition, it is the need to adapt to flying sites that aren't designed for stunt heaven as is our Muncie site.  I feel for Kenny and his thrown prop and the deleterious impact it had on his whole experience.  I've been there and done that and know full well how difficult it is to come back once...let alone twice as he had to do.  Thanks to the good fellowship of Kaz (after being around him for so many years I wouldn't have expected less) Kenny's ultimate performance was nothing short of outstanding.  After judging him at the Nats last year and seeing him make the team I had great good hopes for his competitiveness.  Although the manner in which he competed was different than he had planned, the devotion to excel, whatever the demands, was obvious and the outcome a testament to his dedication.  You've earned your stripes, Mr. Stevens.  Well done.

After watching Howard for many years as he grew more mature and left the foam and fas-cal behind him I expected a good performance and that's what we got.  As many have pointed out, eleven points out of more than 2000 is a paltry sum and well within the scoring "noise" factor.  That those eleven will keep him idle come the finals is no disgrace.  I've watched a number of the others in the same boat fly and know full well that the competition was keen to access the final fifteen.  I've no doubt that Howard will be back and will make it clear that his talent deserves another few flights.

Orestes had the great advantage of experience with the whole rigamarole and, as one would expect, took advantage of what he has learned in the past.  He will certainly be competitive with the best and I anxiously await the outcome.  Show 'em how it's supposed to be done, Orestes.

Re judging in Europe.  My experience has been that the judges there, as they are here, want to be as objective and fair as possible.  The suggestion that they are familiar with a lot of the fliers who both attend contests in Europe regularly and then show up as team members for their countries at the WCs is absolutely true.  I don't, however, feel there is a conscious bias and good flying, ultimately, usually comes home to roost at the top.  The best example I can point at for that was in Budapest several years ago when Ryan Young was our Junior flier.  Of course, none of the judges had seen him before and his first flights were competitive but not at the top of the heap.  Ryan was both dedicated and committed, however, and refused to back down or become discouraged.  Every round his scores got higher and higher and, in the final analysis, his superiority on finals day was recognized pretty much unanimously as he won the Junior World Championship over several excellent European Juniors.

The bottom line is that--as we all know--stunt is subjectively evaluated by human beings, almost all of whom are doing their absolute best (I'm convinced) to be as objective as possible as they do the very difficult task of entering numbers into boxes that aren't plucked digit by digit from a stop watch.  It is absolutely predictable that they will tend to score familiar top fliers well from the get go and for the next fifty or so fliers might at first be, frankly, sifting the wheat from the chaff.  Thus the beauty of formats that require repeated observation of the best fliers as they get sifted through the grinder of multiple flights with fewer and fewer survivors.  Ultimately, they'll likely come up with the right fifteen in pretty much the right order.

It's hard work and they should get credit for doing it.

Ted

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #245 on: August 14, 2014, 01:09:40 AM »
If there is any down side to flying across the pond in a "very" major competition, it is the need to adapt to flying sites that aren't designed for stunt heaven as is our Muncie site. 

We had some information about the site from a member of the Canadian helicopter team who flew here last year.  Based on that I whacked out a rough-ground gear from a slab of carbon I had around.  That proved valuable.  I had also switched from a 13" prop to an 11" prop, which gave some extra ground clearance, so I didn't have a problem.  We stationed one guy just ahead of the airplane to pull the plug in case of a noseover, which can be disastrous for an electric airplane, but it didn't help in Kenny's case where the wimpy quadrotor prop broke when it hit terrain. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #246 on: August 14, 2014, 06:05:07 AM »
Quick update.  I want to get back before Orestes's second finals flight.  Very windy this morning with rain for awhile.  It was as windy as the notorious Nats top-20 day when only seven of us finished flights.   I would say it separated the men from the boys, but the boys (the Juniors) flew first and did just fine.  Some guys were flying pretty accurate stunt despite the conditions. I think you either need a pipe or an electric with autothrottle to have a chance for much score, though.  The best I saw was Juri Vejmola, who got approx. 1024.  Orestes did OK, but had a little more trouble with the wind and got a 1005, according to Marilou.  Igor quit after the inside rounds because his cowl fell off.  He must do well in the next two flights to keep the championship that everybody thought was a slam dunk.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2014, 08:37:11 AM »
We had some information about the site from a member of the Canadian helicopter team who flew here last year.  Based on that I whacked out a rough-ground gear from a slab of carbon I had around.  That proved valuable.  I had also switched from a 13" prop to an 11" prop, which gave some extra ground clearance, so I didn't have a problem.  We stationed one guy just ahead of the airplane to pull the plug in case of a noseover, which can be disastrous for an electric airplane, but it didn't help in Kenny's case where the wimpy quadrotor prop broke when it hit terrain. 

I was somehow volunteered to do an engineering evaluation of the safety of quadcopter props for PAMPA. This may obviate the need.

Brett

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #248 on: August 14, 2014, 09:19:20 AM »
   I was somehow volunteered to do an engineering evaluation of the safety of quadcopter props for PAMPA. This may obviate the need.

Brett

I agree, after seeing Matt Newman's prop and now hearing about Kenny's I would hope that everyone is smart enough to quit using them.

Derek

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #249 on: August 14, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
There are a couple of links in this thread somewhere that were sent to me showing photos. Those links were sent to me to post.

http://www.f2rus.ru/2011-10-08-18-52-33/polsha-20145.html

http://www.f2rus.ru/2011-10-08-18-52-33/polsha-20146.html

They came off SSW and one of the guys who thinks he invented the internet is whining about giving credit so Al Gore here is your credit. SY

News flash just because you find a link doesn't mean you need to be given credit. This person has deleted his own account here and now trying to stir the pot elsewhere.
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here