News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:12:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Team USA and the World Champs  (Read 54558 times)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Team USA and the World Champs
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2014, 08:13:08 PM »
What Paul said about thinking it's the WSR is good. The Euro's fly against eachother in contests all summer and consider the WC as pretty much "just another contest". Our guys think it's a big deal and some are too nervous to fly to their maximum potential. That's what our FAI FF guys said, anyway. I think they made a good point.

Having participated in FAI FF contests for a long time, I came to the conclusion that a lot of guys tend to set their goals all wrong. They want to beat their teammates, they want to beat their flying buddy or their club members or their annoying adversary. WRONG! Set your goal as 1st Place, nothing more...or less.  y1 Steve 
"The Euros fly against each other in contests all summer and consider the WC pretty much just anther contest".  Probably a good enough reason to get it out of Europe for a few cycles.  Maybe that's why site prep etc., has become so ho hum. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2014, 12:29:23 AM »
They are spreading the four qualifying rounds over three days.  Orestes flies twice today; Kenny and I fly once. 

Corners are now in vogue.  Igor and many others are turning tight radii.  I am trying to behave. 

The Chinese have LEDs on their airplanes.  I showed mine to one of them and he grinned.  Several guys have VGs or trip strips. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2014, 12:53:05 AM »
Roger on the HG.  Judges wrote notes on world cup score sheets.  They thought my hourglass was narrow, and narrower on the bottom than on the top.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2014, 05:58:39 AM »
Howard, had to laugh about the LED's - thanks.

Best of luck.

Curt

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2014, 06:42:40 AM »
Curt, did you get the bling I sent you?

Orestes and I flew our first flights at about the same time.  Marilou thinks he got a 988, but can't remember for sure.  His circle scores low.  It was pretty windy when we flew, but a smooth wind like Muncie.  I didn't account for the wind and did my triangles too short and had a bad bottom on one.  My score indicates that the judges were watching.  Triangles are expensive in F2B.  I got a 1056.  It started raining just after our flights, so we went for pierogies.  Kenny and Orestes are up in half an hour, so I'll go back to the field shortly.

Revision A: Orestes got a 990-something.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:56:24 PM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »
Yes I did, thought I sent you a note with a laugh and a thank you.
I have yet to run it by Randy, pretty sure I know his answer...

Curt

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2014, 09:23:59 AM »
Howard! Thank you for posting news! Good luck to you guys with weather and rest of the things ! I like your stand for model , simple, portable and useful.Did you bring it with you? About hourglass : Brett's theory , that top triangle locates closer to the judges so therefore it should be smaller by size , sound logical, but they do not like it in Europe. Some times it is pretty noticeable. Talk to Trostle. I think, you do not have to change any think there, compare what you used to establish on your practices, It is pretty much Stunt  Lottery and you know that. Combination of little things may play positive or negative results! Just be yourself and try to put your goal to first place, try to see positive things around , and try to enjoy event! Again, Good luck to you guys there !!!!! Igor P.
Igor Panchenko

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2014, 10:43:38 AM »
The day started out nice, then got windy, then got rainy.  It was windy and raining when Orestes and Kenny flew this afternoon.  Orestes flew on the circle on which I flew earlier and got a 1077.  He seemed unaffected by rain and had his usual flat bottoms.  Kenny got a 977 on the hard circle.  These scores don't mean much until we see what everybody else got, and our recollections aren't necessarily accurate.  Both the wind and rain let up after our guys flew, but the rain must have adversely affected about half the flights today.

Tomorrow looks pleasant, but with 3 to 4 m/s winds, according to http://www.meteoprog.pl/en/meteograms/Wloclawek/ .  Orestes wanted to get some wind practice this evening, but the wind petered out and the rain returned.

The Jive Combat Team

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2014, 11:19:08 AM »
Howard! Thank you for posting news! Good luck to you guys with weather and rest of the things ! I like your stand for model , simple, portable and useful.Did you bring it with you? About hourglass : Brett's theory , that top triangle locates closer to the judges so therefore it should be smaller by size , sound logical, but they do not like it in Europe. Some times it is pretty noticeable.

???  That is not my theory, or at least I can't recall ever saying that. The hourglass *is* supposed to be narrower than the triangle, but both halves should be the same.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »
I am trying to behave.

The end times are coming!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »
So what's the purpose of the LED's on the Communist Chinese airplanes?

Are they "Eye targets" to help visually track the model through the maneuvers, or just ornaments?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2014, 12:05:04 PM »
  I am trying to behave. 

[/quote]

This translates to: not asking more of himself or the airplane in corners.  When trying "too hard", bounces can occur.

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »
???  That is not my theory, or at least I can't recall ever saying that. The hourglass *is* supposed to be narrower than the triangle, but both halves should be the same.

Brett
[/quote

No argue with you! They should look same size, from judge point.
Igor Panchenko

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2014, 12:15:11 PM »
Er -- I'm competing in Expert now.  Gaining 1st place would either be accomplished by getting about 100 points more per flight, or by mass murder.

So, you have a 'lectric Predator on the bench yet? You won't win Expert around here with a .46LA powered "Twistish" with a crappy landing gear.  H^^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »

The Chinese have LEDs on their airplanes.  I showed mine to one of them and he grinned. 

Yes, but do theirs light up when it is time to land??????

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »

No argue with you! They should look same size, from judge point.

My point above was that I don't quite see where the idea of flying the top and bottom differently could be attributed to me, as you did. I am a big proponent of flying it the way it is drawn and ignoring the parallax or perspective issues - since no one can actually fly well enough to put in these sorts of corrections.

Brett

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »

Yes, but do theirs light up when it is time to land??????

The Chinese LED's are light sources for a hacked Canon EOS eye tracking package slaved to a gyro controling yaw and ensuring pullouts at eye level.   S?P

Kim.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2014, 01:54:03 PM »
The Chinese LED's are light sources for a hacked Canon EOS eye tracking package slaved to a gyro controling yaw and ensuring pullouts at eye level.   S?P

Kim.

Could be.  I don't know what they do.  They are directional, so I could only see them when the angle was right. They appeared to be strobed.  The Chinese fliers are fairly young, so the lights probably don't serve the primary purpose of mine: to tell me whether I put in a charged battery.   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »
If they're young it must be to keep their attention on the  plane, you  know the old "SQUIRREL!!! syndrome.
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »

Kim.
I vote for immediate wide spread panic and heavy rumour generation!  Clearly this is a PLOT!  We should fear technology and must pass rules immediately to ensure these "mind control" lights are abolished!  It's sad to hear of my friends Curt and Howard have fallen, enslaved!! I tell you!!!!

Or it could be nothing.... But there's no fun in that!!!

B

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
  It's sad to hear of my friends Curt and Howard have fallen, enslaved!! I tell you!!!!

B

It appears that you swallowed the blue pill Bruce!

Alas, you will never know the truth.

P

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »
I vote for immediate wide spread panic and heavy rumour generation!  Clearly this is a PLOT!  We should fear technology and must pass rules immediately to ensure these "mind control" lights are abolished!  It's sad to hear of my friends Curt and Howard have fallen, enslaved!! I tell you!!!!

OK, for the next rules cycle:

14.14: Protective Headgear. For protection against radiation based mind control, all judges shall wear aluminum foil deflector beanies (AFDB) during any competition where electrically-powered aircraft are flown.

We don't really care if the pilots are mind-controlled, but we do care if the judges are mind-controlled. Note that this does not preclude mechanical mind control (i.e. arm twisting or physical threats), just the incipient electrical methods.

Good?

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »
It's all there in the TUT.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2014, 05:30:56 PM »
What I have understood from blog of Russian team member. There two grass circles, very similar to each other with tree judges for each circle. One crew little hi in score another one, little low.  All so they say : that, there no clear definition of round it is possible to make two flights in the morning in one circle or one flight, per each circle,  at the evening. Every things are going in parallels and makes  little confusing for them. There couple of guys running around the fields with positions and sequence of pilots etc. . Results can be puled from board by pilots 5 min after flight been done. Did not say about total community results on the board.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:25:54 PM by Igor »
Igor Panchenko

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2014, 06:49:45 AM »
  14.14: Protective Headgear. For protection against radiation based mind control, all judges shall wear aluminum foil deflector beanies (AFDB) during any competition where electrically-powered aircraft are flown.

We might have needed that today.

In other news, a wing screw was coming out of Kaz's plane, and it had some serious dihedral in both directions when it turned.  It held together,  though, and Kenny got a good score.  A screw had come loose.  He refused my offer of Loctite.  

I flew my best flight in perfect conditions this morning.  It didn't get much score, although it was the best of the three of us on that circle so far.  I have another flight today three hours hence.  It has to be very good for me to be able to make the finals.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2014, 08:30:01 AM »
Hey Howard and team, keep doing what you are doing.   Remember a few champs ago when one of our top pilots noticed how judges were scoring flights.  He says he tried to correct his flying but the judges went back to the style of flight he had been doing.   You know humans aren't perfect and will change from day to day, especially judges. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2014, 08:38:26 AM »
We might have needed that today.

In other news, a wing screw was coming out of Kaz's plane, and it had some serious dihedral in both directions when it turned.  It held together,  though, and Kenny got a good score.  A screw had come loose.  He refused my offer of Loctite.  

I flew my best flight in perfect conditions this morning.  It didn't get much score, although it was the best of the three of us on that circle so far.  I have another flight today three hours hence.  It has to be very good for me to be able to make the finals.  

I would highly recommend that Kenny put blue locktight on all four wing bolts and the two alignment bolts at the bottom trailing edge of the wing. I use it on my take apart planes and I am constantly checking the wing bolts. I check them after every three or four flights, it only takes a second and it is much better than flying with a loose wing.

Derek

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »
Hi all, I've been keeping an eye on things. I'm wishing the best and hoping for the US team.
Also curious if Bene Rodriguez from Brazil is in the mix. I saw his name in one of the early score sheets that was posted. Good luck.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2014, 10:22:02 AM »
where were the sheets posted
rad racer

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2014, 10:42:47 AM »
where were the sheets posted
The actual sheet was too small to read but Sparky re-typed it in post #115. It's 4 days old now.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,36090.msg368870.html#msg368870
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2014, 10:52:30 AM »
The actual sheet was too small to read but Sparky re-typed it in post #115. It's 4 days old now.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,36090.msg368870.html#msg368870

That's old news.
Those are the World Cup results, not the World Championships results.

I have not been able to see the World Champs results yet.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
Oops, beg yer pardon, bad info.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2014, 11:22:37 AM »

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »
When do we stop sending world teams to a east European championships.these are no longer world champs these are european championships.
Maybe a little harsh in my comments.
Can't wait to see the championship in austrailia.
Jose Modesto

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
« Reply #185 on: August 12, 2014, 11:49:51 AM »
Link to results . i think it is right one.      http://cl-wch2014.pl/docs/F2B_after_2nd_round.pdf
Igor Panchenko

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »
Igor Panchenko

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »

That's old news.
Those are the World Cup results, not the World Championships results.

I have not been able to see the World Champs results yet.
This is it. I think it is right one. Igor.P.
http://cl-wch2014.pl/docs/F2B_after_2nd_round.pdf
Igor Panchenko

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2014, 11:56:14 AM »
When do we stop sending world teams to a east European championships.these are no longer world champs these are european championships.
Maybe a little harsh in my comments.
Can't wait to see the championship in austrailia.
Jose Modesto

Yep, that is the reason for the low turnout at the team trials. You might accidently make the team and have to go.

Derek

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
Don't give up hope yet. There are still two rounds to go, and the weather is not too bad!

Remember, in 2008 I was 42nd at this same point. I recovered enough to finish 6th and secure the team trophy.

IT'S NOT OVER YET!!!

Each of our team members  needs a good score on circle 2. This WILL decide their fate.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »
Yep, that is the reason for the low turnout at the team trials. You might accidently make the team and have to go.

:)

Even at my barely-500-point level, I've had the conversation with myself:

"Maybe when I get better I'll do the team trials thing."

"Nope -- what if I win?"
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »

if u win ,u will be in for the greatest feeling u will ever have ,i tried half hartedly for 12 years to make the F2C team, then i found a pilot that was willing to fly from Pa to FL once a month to practice ,we made two consecutive teams and i can tell u all the hard work was worth it ,to be standing there with all the US team members in Red White and Blue  as they play the National anthum will bring tears to your eyes. i still remember the first time.i dint care how many events u have won when u are in that circle for your first race ,your knees are weak and your hands are shaking..u are lucky if u can hit the prop when they say go . once in the air u are flying with the best in the world . u can hear the people u have just met cheering for u when u make a good pit,and you can hear the groans when u brake a prop on your last pit when u have a good race going.

it is this feeling that keeps PW BW TF BH and others to keep spending their own $$ to go over there and compete . everyone should have the chance to do it at least once  Bob Whitney  i hope this isnt out of place here
rad racer

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »
Don't give up hope yet. There are still two rounds to go, and the weather is not too bad!

Remember, in 2008 I was 42nd at this same point. I recovered enough to finish 6th and secure the team trophy.

IT'S NOT OVER YET!!!

Each of our team members  needs a good score on circle 2. This WILL decide their fate.

I agree, in 2010 it was my last flight that got me into the finals. Keep up the good work guys.

Derek

Derek

Eric Viglione

« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
I think Weird Al said it best Brett...
EricV

We don't really care if the pilots are mind-controlled, but we do care if the judges are mind-controlled. Note that this does not preclude mechanical mind control (i.e. arm twisting or physical threats), just the incipient electrical methods.

Good?

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2014, 02:03:50 PM »
My hat is off to Kenny doing so well with a borrowed plane.  That is some recovery!
Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »

Good?

Brett

Read this first!

http://web.archive.org/web/20100708230258/http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/
AMA 64232

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »
I think : it was warm up for judges, to situate where every body are, to get better idea and experience , for future rounds.  Things may change better for US team, and I religiously believe that !!!! Weather may be different too. All the efforts of our guys not supposed to be fade off. They will show their better sides. main battle up front. I keep my fingers crossing!!!!!! Igor.P.
Igor Panchenko

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »
Word from HMR was that he scored a 1077 on panel A second flight.

Didn't hear about Kenny or Orestes.

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »
Some Pictures if you will able to open those? Each pilot should do 2 flights in circle A and 2 flights in circle 2. The    best result from each circle they putting together , and that is what points for round .  There no Time Judge, each judge has Stop Watch and has its own time upon signal from pilot.

http://www.f2rus.ru/2011-10-08-18-52-33/polsha-20149.html
Igor Panchenko

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2014, 03:51:48 PM »
Word from HMR was that he scored a 1077 on panel A second flight.

Didn't hear about Kenny or Orestes.

Great! A solid score on panel B and he should be in good shape for the finals.  I am sure that Orestes and Kenny will do well too.

Derek

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here