News:

• May 30, 2024, 07:24:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2016 World champs in Perth?  (Read 11326 times)

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
2016 World champs in Perth?
« on: April 20, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »
A little birdie told me this.  ;D
FAI meeting is this weekend, anyone know if it is true?

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: 2016 World champs in Perth?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
Well, the 2013 Plenary should now be history and if they followed the agenda, the '16 F2 World Champs should have been awarded to Australia. Waiting anxiously for a report.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:48:19 PM »
I heard the same thing this morning.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 01:46:26 AM »
Looks like you're all coming to Perth in 2016. It is true. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 04:48:28 AM »
Is this official yet??
Always wanted to go to Australia 8)

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 05:28:14 AM »
That's great news! And also, 2015 Free Flight world champs in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia! That should be fun! L

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 05:47:42 AM »
Just heard from Trevor Letchford that the Plenary awarded the 2016 WCHs to Perth. Congratulations in order!

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 06:21:43 AM »
Bill,
What is the status of the drug testing for the Worlds?

Best,       DennisT

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 06:27:38 AM »
I've never been to Perth !

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
Great news!  Maybe we can get a kangaroo for pit boss.  Let the games begin!  I've seen photos of Perth.  Looks like a beautiful place.
Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 08:35:55 AM »
'Maybe we can get a kangaroo for pit boss.'

Sorry Dave, the kangaroos will be grazing on the main streets of Sydney and Melbourne.

The other thing you guys need to be aware of—if you plan to camp—is the drop bears.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »
Drop bears?  Thank goodness for Google.  We got grizzlies, wolves, wild boar, gators, sasqatch, and angry wives but no drop bears.  I was looking at the resort-on-the-beach pictures of Perth.  This would be my accommodations. Hope no drop bears at the pool.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »
'Maybe we can get a kangaroo for pit boss.'

Sorry Dave, the kangaroos will be grazing on the main streets of Sydney and Melbourne.

The other thing you guys need to be aware of—if you plan to camp—is the drop bears.

Yeah, along with Jackalopes, Hoop Snakes and Wild Haggins.
Then everybody can go in a snipe hunt... LL~ LL~

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »
Yeah, along with Jackalopes, Hoop Snakes and Wild Haggins.
Then everybody can go in a snipe hunt... LL~ LL~

Marcus

I got left holding the bag on a Snipe hunt many years ago as a Boy Scout.  H^^ 

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »
Anybody heard what month the Perth WC will be? The Euros usually demand July/October, which is Winter/Spring down yonder. Dunno how the weather in WA compares to NSW, but the '83 WFFC was in late September and the weather sucked, with strong winds and considerable rain. Easter would be good, but there are probably too many votes from Europe to have that happen. There was a good team from Argentina, but I don't think there were any from Brazil. At the time, there was no airline from SA to Aus, so they had to fly to the USA, then to Aus. That there is one arduous and expensive journey, even without hauling models and support gear. On the other hand, if the selected time of year is right, a very good time will be had by all!  ;D Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 05:00:28 PM »
Steve had a very good time in Australia despite the weather.  He also has a GPS who thinks it's in Western Australia when it's in Washington.  He'll be there.   
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »
If you read the document I attached above, you will see that they are proposing mid-June to mid-July.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 05:17:10 PM »
Stunthanger is all about education.

Lets give you a little education " Down Under " Style.

Theres a reason Australia is surrounded by nothing but water. God is trying to protect you from the hell trapped within
Just The Facts

Australia is home to some of the worlds deadliest animals
    All those animals want you dead
    Overrated

Introduction

When you look at Australia in a travel brochure , it's usually described as a tropical paradise getaway but what they don't tell you is the numerous animals that can kill a human in many painful ways. So I'll list just a few of the animals that make Australia Gods torture room.

Crocodiles. These are the things most people think of when they hear 'Australia' and with good reason. These things can grow up to 25ft long and killed an estimated 20 people last year alone.

Crocodiles are ambush predators , they wait for unsuspecting pray (you) to go close enough to the riverbank so it can hurl its body out of the water and grab you in its Jaws armed with razor sharp teeth. And when that guy grabs you, it's game over. Once these things grab you , it goes into what is known as a 'death roll' to tear chunks off flesh off, failing this they will just hold you under water until you drown. Then they eat you.

The three most dangerous types of shark are: The Bull Shark , Tiger Shark and the big daddy of them all "JAWS" the Great White. Australia is home to all three.

Tiger Sharks,also know as the garbage cans of the sea because they eat anything with a pulse (and sometimes , even stuff without one). These sharks hunt in the shallows because thats where therir main food sources live.Turtles crabs fish seagulls but , as i mention , tiger sharks will eat literally anything , including a tasty looking human froliking freely in the shallow water. Its called the Tiger Shark because of the tiger-like stripes along it's back.

Great Whites , the largest predatory fish in the ocean , commonly reaching lengths of up to 23ft , these animals are basically the perfect hunters , streamline bodies that mean they can swim up to 25mph , Chew through steel and jump out of the water to catch a helpless seal.

These sharks live in one place , the deep ocean. When these sharks attack its usually just a 'test bite' where the shark takes a quick taste of the animal. They do this because , like most sharks , Great whites rely mostly on smell & electo magnetic fields to find pray and their vision isn't the best. So it can easily mistake a human swimming for a seal, well a really big seal.

The problem with this ofcourse is that , well Great white's have huge teeth & a bunch of them.So one bite to a major organ or artery could mean game over.

Sharks kill around a person a year in Australia , and there are around 12 attacks all year. Probably because the crocodiles beat them too it.

The Box Jellyfish is a animal that just floats around in the shallow waters along Australia's beaches, waiting for an ususpecting person to swim by it , then WHABANG , 60+ meter long tenticles wrap around the persons leg injecting several harpoon-like triggers full of venom. The effect? Death witin minutes. Theres No Anti-Venom Available and even if you survive , you'd have to put up with hours of exruciating pain , or a disfuguring scar.

Okay , thats the waters of Australia done , now lets move to the land (Joy). We'll start from the creatures out of a childs nightmare.Freddy Krueger Spiders.

Australia is , once again , home to the most deadly kinds of spiders on the planet , including :

The Sydney Funnel Web
    Bird Eating Tarantula (Yes , a spider that eats birds)
    TrapDoor Spider (A spider that takes after Jigsaw)

And your probably thinking 'No spider is a match for my rolled up newspaper' well thats probably true. But what if you didn't read the newspaper because , i don't know , your allergic to newsprint , and you find one of these spiders in your yard but luckily you have a swimming pool. Bye bye spider! . Or not . Because Australia is so messed up , the spiders can Survive under water !

So yeah , even water that you own in Australia has something in it that can kill you.

God Help Me , Okay Snakes. Australia is home to an estimated 100 venomous snakes , as a matter of fact , Australia is the only place on Earth where there are more Venomous snake species than non-venonmous , Fan-fucking tastic ,

Australia, surprise surprise , also is home to the three most venomous snakes on the planet, these are:

Coastal Taipan (Most venomous snake)
    King Brown
    Tiger Snake

Yes , Australia is home to the snake with the most potent venom on the planet , roll up the Coastal Taipan , just a drop of venom from this creature is enough to kill 20 people. Thankfully if you do happen to get bitten by a snake in Australia , there are Anti-Venom for most of them. Most .

We welcome you with open arms.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
How far from Sydney to Perth?

About the same as from New York to San Francisco.

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »

Breaking Australian news: Man bitten on head by crocodile.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-22/croc-bites-man-on-head/4642840

:)

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »
Yeah, so much for a tropical paradise... LL~ LL~
Always wanted to go sharkdiving anyway...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 07:01:59 PM »
Yeah, so much for a tropical paradise... LL~ LL~
Always wanted to go sharkdiving anyway...

Marcus

There will undoubtedly be some Shark diving at the WC.- Even in Poland.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 08:35:34 PM »
This'll put us on the map!

Hopefully I'm still here when the world champs turn up:)
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »
The Inland Taipan also known as the "Fierce Snake" is the most deadly land snake in the world. The Taipan is next.
However, people normally don't get bitten by the Inland Taipan as they live in the central desert where there aren't many people...too stinking hot!!!!
Bandolero

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »
At least there should be plenty of Foster's on hand!  #^
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 09:13:32 PM »
Personally, I preferred Castlemain's XXXX, Unkle Mikey. But opinions vary from state to state on that. If you like Southern Comfort, they seem to get that, but Canadian Whiskey is almost unknown, and the bottle you find will be very dusty. IMO, Southern Comfort is terrible stuff, as is Bundaberg Rum.

Back to "Snikes", I thought the "Sea Snake" was the most poisonous type of snake? No?

Ok, onto important stuff, what is mid-June to mid-July like in Perth? It's Winter, but I think Perth might be a lot better than Sidney or Melbourne during that timeframe. Is there a big CL presence in Perth to run an F2 WC? It would be a very expensive trip from NSW, QLD, VIC or SA, just to "volunteer".  From this side of the pond, if you have a shot at going to Australia, don't pass it up. Great place to visit, even better if you don't rent a car and try to drive on the left. Habits are hard to break, and very serious if you screw up.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »
At least there should be plenty of Foster's on hand!  #^

Please forget about Fosters, I don't know any Australians who actually drink the stuff.  There is much better beer to be had here. (James Squire is good, and the Little Creatures brewery near Perth is a great spot for a long relaxing lunch.)

I really hope they don't hold the WCs in June/July.  Perth in winter gets frequent cold fronts coming in off the Indian Ocean - good if you like horizontal rain, not so great for CL.  Autumn or spring would be much better IMHO.

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
Yes, some sea snakes are more venomous than the most venomous land snakes, however people don't normally get bitten by them as they are not aggressive.
Sea snakes are normally inquisitive and so long as you don't try to harm them, they leave you alone.

In Perth, the Western Brown Snake aka The Dugite is very venomous. If you see a snake at the World's in Perth, rest assured it will be dangerous!!
DON'T pick it up!!!!
Bandolero

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 10:26:50 PM »
Funnily enough my girlfriend is now (as of yesterday) a licenced snake handler.

The big thing to remember is no fast movements, and don't shadow the snake, so just keep your cool, and keep your head.

Dugites aren't big and they're relatively passive. Tiger snakes are aggressive, and will chase you if you give them the irrits.

I simple thing to remember here is: "if it has legs, it's ok, if it doesn't, back away slowly!"

Also, coral snakes arne't found in Perth, the worst thing you'll find in the water here is man-eating sharks.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 10:31:24 PM »
Bill,
What is the status of the drug testing for the Worlds?

Best,       DennisT

You should be able to get clean by 2016.
I've heard they only profile those who questioned it on the internet.
Paul Smith

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 10:48:47 PM »
You should be able to get clean by 2016.
I've heard they only profile those who questioned it on the internet.

You might find this interesting, on yahoo news. The plot is to be able to ring you up, notifying you to submit to a drug test (either blood or urine) ASAP, even when it's off-season, regardless of where you are at the time. Might be a good prank to play on your buddy in the Fox .15 Hurling Event!  :-\ Steve

http://news.yahoo.com/tennis-passports-end-doping-system-disaster-berdych-143643556--ten.html

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 10:53:21 PM »

You might find this interesting, on yahoo news. The plot is to be able to ring you up, notifying you to submit to a drug test (either blood or urine) ASAP, even when it's off-season, regardless of where you are at the time. Might be a good prank to play on your buddy in the Fox .15 Hurling Event!  :-\ Steve

Yes, that was mentioned in the previous thread. They select people for tracking and testing at any time, and you have to make them aware of your movements so they know where to find you.

I think this tells you all you need to know about the FAI.

Brett

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 11:34:27 PM »
Steve Helmick, do you know why it's called XXXX? Because Queenslanders can't spell beer.

However, when it comes to whiskey—that's as opposed to whisky—Maker's Mark has a reasonable presence so you whiskey drinkers should be OK. There is a reasonable supply of single malt whiskies and even a few blends of malts—which are a little cheaper. Then there are the standard blends of grain and malt whisky.

Also, there is Margaret River, about 170 miles south of Perth—3 hours' drive. Great wines and great surf.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 12:25:54 AM »
The Inland Taipan also known as the "Fierce Snake" is the most deadly land snake in the world. The Taipan is next.
However, people normally don't get bitten by the Inland Taipan as they live in the central desert where there aren't many people...too stinking hot!!!!
Geeeez Russel...........and I thought that Taipans were props!  S?P

Maybe we will even be there..........hope so!

Keith R

Keith R

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 12:47:39 AM »
Of course you'll be there, why wouldn't you????  ;D
You have to come and see how the lucky people live....... VD~

And there's two L's in Russell.
Bandolero

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 03:49:12 AM »
Bl@@dy hell you Aussies, don't put that fear into our visitors!   There's more people skittled in a day with cars than a year of those who are bitten, chomped etc around the whole country.  D>K

The big problem is distance from side of the country to the other.  Nothing much between Kalgoorlie and Adelaide except for Emus and 'Roos.   A great drive if you have time but petrol up around A$2.06/litre across the Nullarbor Plain around this time last year.  We did the round trip last year for our Nats with a bill of around A$3000 for petrol for 10,000km and near 6 weeks away. :(

Here's a comparison of distance!

HH
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:12:21 AM by Dallas Hanna »

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 05:49:48 AM »
If this is true I'm saving my pennies now. I look forward to going back there again.
Been there twice before to the Perth as a Sailor back in the early to
mid 80s. I'm sure there has been changes since then
P.S. The W.C's In July bad idea,thats winter there a date in Jan-Feb would be better.
Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »
Bl@@dy hell you Aussies, don't put that fear into our visitors!   There's more people skittled in a day with cars than a year of those who are bitten, chomped etc around the whole country.  D>K
HH

That's true Herb, but our visitors should be warned!

While the Americans and most of the Europeans drive on the right, and the Anglo-sphere residents drive on the left, Australians drive straight down the middle of the road with an absolutely murderous  inflexibility .

The carnage is terrible and far outweighs that caused by the snakes, spiders, sharks, crocodiles and sundry fauna.

Be safe, stay home!

:)

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 06:28:24 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/tennis-passports-end-doping-system-disaster-berdych-143643556--ten.html

Lance Armstrong thought he was home free.  No statute of limitations, either.  The only clean tourer is still out on the course.
Paul Smith

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 09:37:27 AM »

Stunthanger is all about education.....

Don't they have some pretty kickass man killing ants there too?
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »

If you pour Castlemain's XXXX on the ass kicking ants they become docile.

Perth must have something to recommend it.  Are there lots of hot chicks there?
Steve

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »

Yeah, I've heard about them... Very tiny ants that bite like a spider...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »

Perth must have something to recommend it.  Are there lots of hot chicks there?

That's gotta be it!!

Please let that be the reason!!!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
I think I might pass on Poland and try out for Perth.

Derek

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
If you pour Castlemain's XXXX on the ass kicking ants they become docile.

Perth must have something to recommend it.  Are there lots of hot chicks there?
I think I would look for one of those (chicks) like PJ got that says 'yes M'Lord'.  None like that in Kansas.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
I guess if you drink enough Castlemain's XXXX all the Perth chicks will be as good looking as PJ's gal. n~
Steve

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »
Guys, it's about models... I mean, airplane models... LL~ LL~

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »
Geeeez Russel...........and I thought that Taipans were props!  S?P

Maybe we will even be there..........hope so!

Keith R

And we will not be there ... so if you do not go to Poland, looks like we will come to European WChs and you will go south hemisphere WChs  ;D

Looks like time for virtual contests :- )))))))))))))))

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
Yeah, I've heard about them... Very tiny ants that bite like a spider...

Marcus

Can't say I've ever heard of them.  Doug might have meant the Furious Desert Ant, which is bright green and 10" long.  They make an angry buzzing noise and eat puppies.

(PS The hot chick thing is pretty much on the money. No idea why.)

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
They all look like her downunder, the word Plethora is overused when describing the OZ Beauties out here. Rhiannon is no exception.

So Igor your not coming ? Probably best I'm not sure how competitive your package would be in our climate anyway.

S?P

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here