News:

• May 17, 2024, 05:53:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2012 World Champs  (Read 23614 times)

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: 2012 World Champs
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2012, 01:49:05 PM »
Great news! Had me worried a bit there for a while, but they came through in good shape. Mucho congrats!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first Shark in the order is in 7th place, and that one is being flown by the guy who designed (or at least co-designed) and built it. So, technically, that one isn't even an ARF... Don't see a problem here in that regard. The "Sharks" are not devouring everything in sight. Homemade models still rule, even where there is no BOM...

Bob Hunt 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »
Congrats to the US winning the team gold! If these results are official. CLP** CLP** AP^ (PE**) (PE**)

Hi Darrell,

We still have the finals to go, but it is looking good for a team Championship.  And also, hopefully, an Individual World Champion!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »
Bill,
I could be mistaken but the finals only determines the individual medalists. Thats why a high placing Junior can count toward a teams placing.   
Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »
Congrats to the US winning the team gold! If these results are official. CLP** CLP** AP^ (PE**) (PE**)

Team results are not final until the final rounds are completed.  However, based on who is and is not in the final rounds of the top 15 pilots, the USA, the Ukraine and China have 3 finalists in the final 15 and the placings of the remainder essentially will pit the USA, the Ukraine, and China for the team championship depending on the individual placings of those 9 pilots.  Even if the two from Slovakia still remain in 1st and 2nd, the placing of their third member, which is 40th and will not change, thus essentially eliminating any chance they have for the team championship.  Japan and Russia have their three team members in the top 25 with Japan currently having a slight edge of those two.  If the relative placings after the finals do not change, the US team is in a good position, Ukraine would be 2nd,  China would be 3rd, Japan 4th, and Russia 5th.

Looking at the scores during the second rounds of flights, much credit should be given to Paul, Orestes and David for their perseverance to make this a great showing so far.  And we will probably never know how much Bill Lee and Don McClave have contributed to our team so far.

And the World Champion is yet to be determined with a brand new contest starting tomorrow.

Keith

(Initial post was in error based on the unofficlal score board posted in an earlier thread.  This post corrected to reflect official FAI posting of the 4 qualification rounds.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:53:18 PM by Trostle »

Offline uwe kehnen

• New Pilot
    • Fesselflug-Center
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2012, 02:27:18 PM »
Here are the results from the Bulgarien website.
3 finalists from the USA and China

Best Regards Claudia

steven yampolsky

« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2012, 03:00:16 PM »
David is not catching any breaks. He's the first flight of the day

http://f2rus.ru/images/stories/content/2012/Bolgarya/290820122637.jpg

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2012, 03:11:10 PM »
Any writeup anywhere on the planes?  Stats, electric vs. glow, how long they've been in the air, etc.?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
The "Sharks" are not devouring everything in sight.
Bob Hunt 

Pretty "catchy" Bob.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »
Bill,
I could be mistaken but the finals only determines the individual medalists. Thats why a high placing Junior can count toward a teams placing.   

Darkstar,

I think at one time the Team placings were determined solely on the placings after the qualifying rounds.  After it was brought to the attention of some FAI officials that a scenario could result where it was possible for the three team members from one country to finish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd after the finals rounds, and that team might not win the team championship because of each of them might have had a comparatively poorer placing in the top 15 after the qualifying rounds.  I am fairly certain that the Team placings are now determined by the individual placings AFTER the finals rounds to prevent this nightmare from ever happening.

The way the rule now reads is that "To establish the national scores for team classification add the numerical placing of the three team members of each nation...."  So, after the finals, a team member has only one "numerical placing".  That is his placing after the finals.  Only the placing of a team member in the top 15 would be used for calculation of the team score, not the placing prior to the finals.

The score of a high placing Junior can still be used to determine the three-man team score.

Keith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2012, 03:23:22 PM »
David is not catching any breaks. He's the first flight of the day

http://f2rus.ru/images/stories/content/2012/Bolgarya/290820122637.jpg

The "David Hex" continues.  Drawing for early/first flights is not unusual for him.  Look who is second to fly in the last round.  At these Championships, we can count of David getting an early flight draw, or get some of the worst weather of the day, or anything else that can go wrong.  But we can also count of David doing a magnificent job.

Keith

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2012, 03:25:15 PM »
Great news! Had me worried a bit there for a while, but they came through in good shape. Mucho congrats!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first Shark in the order is in 7th place, and that one is being flown by the guy who designed (or at least co-designed) and built it. So, technically, that one isn't even an ARF... Don't see a problem here in that regard. The "Sharks" are not devouring everything in sight. Homemade models still rule, even where there is no BOM...

Bob Hunt  

Also we don't know what many of the others are flying to until the final resuls and matching airplanes we don't know whos doing what.
AMA 12366

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »
   Oh, I know it's easy to get, I have had one one and off for 30+ years. What I think would not be well-received is having to pay an extra $$25 $50 or whatever it currently might be, just to fly in one contest. It wouldn't bother me but I know it would bother other likely entrants.

What I meant by a reciprocal agreement is like we have with our brothers from the Great White North, AKA America Jr. AKA Canada. If some of those lovable toque-wearing hosers  come to an AMA contest, their MAAC License is recognized and they can enter using that and not buy an AMA license. Likewise if some of us overbearing surfer types go up to Canada to fly in their contests, we show our AMA cards and we don't have to join the MAAC. Or at least that is what it used to be.

The idea was little more than a passing thought, but if we are ever going to have a World Cup I expect it will be attached to an existing big contest like Golden State or the NWR.

Brett

I agree completely with you, Brett. Our own aeromodelling federation charge us the equivalent to 100 US dollars to get the FAI license. How about that!
It should be free of charge for everyone.

Claudio.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
I know I going to get banned from this site but, I'm still sticking with Igor Burger on this rodeo.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »
Thanks Keith
I stand corrected.
Later,

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »
Thanks Keith
I stand corrected. And remember I did say if.
Later,

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2012, 04:09:47 PM »
Does any one know the status of Kim Doherty of Canada?  Was he unable to attend?

Thanks
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2012, 04:57:43 PM »
Thanks Keith
I stand corrected.

You are welcome, but I am not absolutely sure that the ranking from the qualfying rounds are not used to determine team standings.  It was supposed to have been changed, but I do not know if the current wording in the FAI rules really changes that or not.  I think the current wording does fix that, but others could argue otherwise.

Keith

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2012, 05:17:44 PM »
Well done to everyone who bounced back to normality after the sever weather of the first 2 days.

Does anyone know what happened to Richard K ?

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »

Does anyone know what happened to Richard K ?

Yeah, where's the defending champion?
Milton "Proparc" Graham

steven yampolsky

« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
Yeah, where's the defending champion?

The entire German team is missing from the flight roster!

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »
The entire German team is missing from the flight roster!

My goodness, the German F2B Team qualification rounds must have been particularly brutal!! :o
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2012, 06:09:23 PM »

The "David Hex" continues.  Drawing for early/first flights is not unusual for him.  Look who is second to fly in the last round.  At these Championships, we can count of David getting an early flight draw, or get some of the worst weather of the day, or anything else that can go wrong.  But we can also count of David doing a magnificent job.

Keith

Any truth to the rumor that they be using Howard's program to draw flight order?  ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »
Did we have a Junior this year? Bob is right about BOM, dont see any arf winning. The cream allways makes it to the top. Nice to see only flying points.

Steve

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2012, 07:34:06 PM »
Did we have a Junior this year? Bob is right about BOM, dont see any arf winning. The cream allways makes it to the top. Nice to see only flying points.

Steve

Hi Steve,

No Junior this year.  I couldn't go as I'm in Daytona right now, and Ryan texted me back in July saying he couldn't go.  Sadly no juniors this year...

Matt Colan

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »
Hi Steve,

No Junior this year.  I couldn't go as I'm in Daytona right now, and Ryan texted me back in July saying he couldn't go.  Sadly no juniors this year...

If only I'd known. I woulda got a birth certificate made in Hawaii, stating that I was born there in '99.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »
The full results in pdf format are now on the world champs website http://www.f2abcd.com/download/download.php?file=f2b.pdf

The top 4 are all electric and the rest are mainly un-piped engines. The Chinese are flying 4-bangers. Igor Burger is the man to beat so far and I believe that he will come out on top. Paul Walker put in some great flights yesterday and is definitely in the running for a top 3 spot. Having said that, the top 4 are electric, Alex Shrek pranged his electric model in the rough weather and is flying a back-up IC engined model on a pipe. I believe that he has been working hard and his e-stunter could be ready to fly before the finals. Yesterday had very good flying weather so this helped to improve most people's scores.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2012, 04:44:54 AM »
It is amazing that at every WC all three of the Chinese team seem to make it into the finals after the FAI jury has time to review the scores...

Just sayin

Derek
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:34:30 AM by Derek Barry »

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2012, 04:50:13 AM »
Derek,
Lets add to that, I just checked the weather and It looks like Stunt heaven for both days. So everyone has a shot to CRANK IT UP! S?P S?P S?P!
Later,

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2012, 04:54:02 AM »
Derek,
Lets add to that, I just checked the weather and It looks like Stunt heaven for both days. So everyone has a shot to CRANK IT UP! S?P S?P S?P!

Good deal. GO TEAM USA!!!!!!

Derek

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2012, 05:17:46 AM »
Well, as we type the first two rounds are done. Hopefully the results are good.  H^^
Later,

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2012, 05:21:47 AM »
I wish I was there. I will be trying out for the next one for sure. The WC is a hard contest and a lot of money but there is nothing like being there. I hope we get an update soon.

Derek

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »
Derek,
Lets add to that, I just checked the weather and It looks like Stunt heaven for both days. So everyone has a shot ...

If I was there I would be praying for 15mph over the trees!   In good air the scores bunch up and the results can get to be almost random based on tiny mistakes. That's why everyone has a shot...

Brett

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »
Today's weather was 0 steady with VARIABLE 1 MPH winds. Stunt heaven it is not.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
   If I was there I would be praying for 15mph over the trees!   In good air the scores bunch up and the results can get to be almost random based on tiny mistakes. That's why everyone has a shot...

Brett

I get your point but I don't think I would ever pray for 15mph over the trees. We have 15 to 20 over the trees every year at KOI and it is no fun!

Derek

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »

That is no fun either... Hope you guys had your walking shoes on.

Derek

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
Paul is a master in turbulent conditions. And he can moonwalk.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2012, 01:52:14 PM »

Yuck, I call that stunt garbage. It's like flying in a vacumm.  It sucks. I hope all worked out well.  I cant wait for the results.

~^ ~^ ~^ ~^  I am going nuts checking the site every 10 minutes or so.

I would never pray for wind over the trees either.  We have that year round in Dallas.  What you get is pure luck of the draw.  It might be 12 over the trees for the guy ahead of you and 16 over the trees for you just a few minutes later.  It stinks when that happens. 
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
It is amazing that at every WC all three of the Chinese team seem to make it into the finals after the FAI jury has time to review the scores...

Just sayin

Derek

I only see two "CHN" in the top 15, and none anywhere below that on the part of the results you posted. You got me puzzled by your statement! ??

I would wish for "stunt heaven"...overcast and steady 5mph wind, with no trees or buildings upwind, and let the best flier win. But I also know Paul and I wouldn't ever bet against him. When the going gets tough, Paul really bears down and can do amazing stuff. I just hope the judges are fair, unbiased, and have read the rulebook.  H^^ Steve 

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »

I would never pray for wind over the trees either.  We have that year round in Dallas.  What you get is pure luck of the draw.  It might be 12 over the trees for the guy ahead of you and 16 over the trees for you just a few minutes later.  It stinks when that happens.  

Hopefully That wont happen this weekend in Dallas. Of course thats Driven by Issac. But I would prefer a open field
and a 5-10 MPH wind. Ooops! Didn't get that last year did we! LL~ LL~ See U this weekend  H^^
Later,

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »
I only see two "CHN" in the top 15, and none anywhere below that on the part of the results you posted. You got me puzzled by your statement! ??

(CLIP)

ISteve 

Steve,

Something happened between last Tuesday night and Wednesday morning (our time).  Late Tuesday, there was what I understood to be an official posting of the results of the four qualifying flights.  In that listing, the Chinese had 12th and 14th place, and from what was posted, any other Chinese would have been below 29th.  Then, lo and behold, Wednesday morning, on the Championships website, the listing shows the Chinese in 12th, 14th and 15th after the four qualifying rounds.  This is not unusual at these things to see scores/names shuffled around after "official" standings have been published.  Sometimes, this is because of errors in the tabulation, or posting or there could have been a protest about how a flight was scored.  (I have no idea of the system being used there, but I am familiar with one Championships where there was ONE person doing all of the tabulation for F2B.  That was almost 80 pilots, 4 flights, 3 judges per flight!  We sometimes would not get scores until after midnight.  And "corrections/adjustments" would go on to the next day.)

Keith

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
Reminds me of a movie title. You probably know the one I mean. "Oh God". How FUBAR is that? FAI strikes again!

One thing I've wondered about...does Sandy Piminoff (sp?) show up at CL WC's and make a pest of himself? I have observed him at several World FF Champs, and my opinion is not a good one. Maybe he's not President anymore? I hope!  H^^ Steve

Offline Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »
After 2 of 3 flyoffs.
Looks very similar to the qualifying....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:22:48 PM by Norvaldo »
Norvald Olsvold

steven yampolsky

« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »
After 2 of 3 flyoffs

Beat me to it. It looks like Igor is walking away from the rest of the group! He's already 85 points ahead of the nearest competitor! With just one flight left, unless something drastic happens, this WC is Igor's to win.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2012, 03:29:52 PM »
Is it the total of best 2 of 3, or total of all 3?  D>K Steve

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
Best 2 flights

Randy

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »
Reminds me of a movie title. You probably know the one I mean. "Oh God". How FUBAR is that? FAI strikes again!

One thing I've wondered about...does Sandy Piminoff (sp?) show up at CL WC's and make a pest of himself? I have observed him at several World FF Champs, and my opinion is not a good one. Maybe he's not President anymore? I hope!  H^^ Steve

Hi Steve,
Indeed, Sandy Pimenoff is no longer the CIAM president. The current one is Antonis Papadopoulos.

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
Anyone know if F2A is done yet ?

Dan
AMA 33676

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
Anyone know if F2A is done yet ?

Dan

Yes and result at the top is almost like a broken record.
But congrats to the US speed team for their Bronze Medal.
That is if the results are offical Z@@ZZZ

Later,

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2012, 05:55:59 PM »
So you are saying you feel the results are predetermined?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2012, 07:05:26 PM »
So you are saying you feel the results are predetermined?

Randy, I don't think that's the implication. Parramon (Spain) has won at least 4 WC's in a row. He's some sort of scientist and really has his chit together for F2A. His engines come from either Russia or Ukraine (?), but he's the one that always puts in the best flight and beats the factory teams. It's a fussy event, with prop shimming (one blade, tapered shims) and nv and pipe tweeking. Maybe even a little line waxing, who knows?! They're close to 200 mph with .15's on zero nitro and 2 lines. :o :o :o Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here