News:

• May 12, 2024, 06:44:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control surface attaching?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Control surface attaching?
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:31:46 AM »
Some modelers attach their control surfaces last. I'm guessing after finish, paint and clear coat.

I've never done this that way. I've always attached the control surface then finished and painted the model.

I'd like to have some information about this other way. I'm considering this.

Glue used?

Oil of hinges if necessary?

Are hinges set in place on one side first? Or?

Alignment?

Gap?

Clean up?

Etc?

Explanation and photos would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Control surface attaching?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:53:26 AM »
you might try the search function,, there are lots of posts dealing with hinges and the various ways people install them,, I did a quick look "installing hinges" and got several options
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
I cut the slots and dry-fit the hinges before covering, assemble and cover (or cover and assemble), then install hinges, then trim.

I use one long piece of music wire per surface for a hinge pin, and I make lucky boxes or embed brass tubing in the surfaces for the control horns, but do not glue them.  By doing all this, I can easily remove a control surface even after it's fully hinged.

Then when I paint, the surfaces go on or come off as makes the most sense to the job at hand.  Usually I have the surfaces off for painting, then they go back on to mask the trim that extends from wing to flap or from stab to elevator, then they come off to actually get squirted with paint (then repeat, if there's more than one trim color).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:09:16 AM »
you might try the search function,, there are lots of posts dealing with hinges and the various ways people install them,, I did a quick look "installing hinges" and got several options

I did a search and came up empty.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
I cut the slots and dry-fit the hinges before covering, assemble and cover (or cover and assemble), then install hinges, then trim.

I use one long piece of music wire per surface for a hinge pin, and I make lucky boxes or embed brass tubing in the surfaces for the control horns, but do not glue them.  By doing all this, I can easily remove a control surface even after it's fully hinged.

Then when I paint, the surfaces go on or come off as makes the most sense to the job at hand.  Usually I have the surfaces off for painting, then they go back on to mask the trim that extends from wing to flap or from stab to elevator, then they come off to actually get squirted with paint (then repeat, if there's more than one trim color).

Tim,

I seen and read about that "wire" method.

Nice application, but something I'm not interested in for this particular model.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »
Even if I weren't using removable surfaces (which you really want right after a crash), I'd still get the surfaces finished at lesat up to the base color before I glued everything together.  Trying to sand the finish down in the hinge gaps is a royal pain; sanding a separate surface is easy.

I see that some seriously good modelers fully assemble and then start the finish: I can't imagine doing a decent job that way myself, but others can obviously do it and do it well.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 12:40:42 PM »
Even if I weren't using removable surfaces (which you really want right after a crash), I'd still get the surfaces finished at lesat up to the base color before I glued everything together.  Trying to sand the finish down in the hinge gaps is a royal pain; sanding a separate surface is easy.

I see that some seriously good modelers fully assemble and then start the finish: I can't imagine doing a decent job that way myself, but others can obviously do it and do it well.

Tim,

You're correct.

There is considerable work sanding the "V" grove at the control surfaces to keep paint build up to a bare minimum. I know that well.

Painting the base color on all parts before assembly is a given and a good start. Great idea!  H^^

Here's the thing. The R/C guys I learned to build from, pattern flyers, always pinned the hinges, each and every one. So, I coppied and did the same thing.

So, finishing in those areas, above and below the hinge, remained after assembly. I'd hate to loose a control surface doing this hinge thing differently.

Knowing each step to this method of finishing is important to me. I don't need any mistakes.

I'd hate to have a mishap with this model, it's comming out nicely.

Can't weight to paint it and hang it on the wall. I'm Kidding! Just Kidding! Ya, ya, I'll fly the thing.

I think this model might even do a loop.  ;D

Thanks for the reply.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »
I always pinned hinges on RC models. Stunt planes get the hinges taped which alleviates the need to pin them.
Joe Daly

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »
I did a search and came up empty.

really,, I got like 20 hits for the phrase "installing hinges"
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=29880.0
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=21145.0
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=21860.0
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=1922.0
here I did it for you,, there are a couple threads with LOTs of good info
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »
really,, I got like 20 hits for the phrase "installing hinges"
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=29880.0
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=21145.0
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=21860.0
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=1922.0
here I did it for you,, there are a couple threads with LOTs of good info

Mark,

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

I use Internet Explorer, possibly the reason. I did do a search though, honest.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »
Mark,

I took a quick look at your links. There's some really good information there, thanks for that search.

BTW. Here's the page that came up when I tried a search, just now.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?action=search2

Thanks for the information and the reply.

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 03:33:41 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

I use Internet Explorer, possibly the reason. I did do a search though, honest.

use the search function that Robert has implemented on THIS page,, not google, or other internet search engines,, you are looking for hobby specific, search the hobby specific pages
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »
use the search function that Robert has implemented on THIS page,, not google, or other internet search engines,, you are looking for hobby specific, search the hobby specific pages

Mark,

There ya go, what a difference.

Most if not all of what you Posted came up.

I'm still apprehensive about doing it that way.

It will be my first time. I want the gap tight.

Thanks for that help, I appreciate it.

Charles

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »
I believe that a lot of people in the NW use John Miller's method as described in the attached file. Note that he gives credit to "GSO", aka Gordan Delaney. Also, note what he says about putting the hinges into the moveable surface first, and use of a door jamb to align the hinge depths. Door jambs are pretty darned straight, at least for the short length of a flap or elevator.  8) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
Steve,

Thanks so much for the reply and that file.

I have it saved and I'll read it over tonight.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here