News:

• May 26, 2024, 10:49:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CA glue in hinges  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Andy Whitam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
CA glue in hinges
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:23:51 AM »
I really screwed up this time. I was installing the hinges in my ARF (sorry but I do not have a lot of time to build) Super clown and got ca in the hinges.
I broke two off in the elevator. Should I even try to remove them or start over with new wood. Does anyone know if I can purchase a replacement from Brodak. Thanks Andy

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: CA glue in hinges
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:53:21 AM »
I believe they make a de-bonder for CA.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:24:45 AM »
No need to replace the stab / elevator if the hinges are mesed up. Cut them off flush on both sides and use either monokote or sewn hinges. A quick search here on the board will find you detailed instructions on using both types.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
Use Pacer hinge glue, its water soluble.  So its a lot easier to fix screw ups.
Next time use a micro oiler, and oil the barrel and pins ONLY. 
Dont get any oil on the hinge tabs that need to be glued. 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »
Andy; If you mean the regular CA hinges, I would just cut them flush as said above, and then get some barrel hinges, and install them in a different location. The CA hinges are just to stiff for control line.
Jim Kraft

Offline Andy Whitam

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:12:45 AM »
thanks for all the replies and info.
The hinges were standard barrel hinges furnished with the kit. I got ca glue in the barrel joint. I will seek out more hinges or maybe try the sewing type.
I have seen this done but have never tried it. Thanks

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:30:21 AM »
Here is a link to one of many products that will help.  Read the statement under the picture.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8458
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:19:53 AM »
Good advice, any one of the recommended solutions would work.

• If you cut the hinges off flush and put in new ones, put the new ones in right next to the old ones
  • You can cut the hinge barrels off, and very carefully slide an X-acto blade along the top and bottom of the hinge remnant and pull it out.  This is generally what I do when I screw up a hinge.  It leaves a sloppy big pocket, but you can fix that with shims on the new hinge
  • I use grease and a toothpick instead of oil and a micro-oiler.  The basic idea either way is to put release agent (oil or grease) on the hinge so the glue won't stick
  • If you do get glue on the hinge, flex it back and forth until the glue is good and set up -- most glues can bond to an oily surface, you want to discourage that as much as possible
  • I prefer to epoxy hinges in, rather than using CA, because it gives me time.  I always seem to get things stuck half way in with CA (I'm gonna try that hinge glue, though!)
  • Sewn hinges are easy-peasy.  I haven't quite grokked monocoat hinges yet, so I can't comment
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Andy Whitam

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:33 AM »
Thanks again Tim.
I will try the sewn hinges tonight and let all know how it comes out

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »
Sewn hinges.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »
Hi Andy,

You have gotten all the right answers so I will just give my opinion on sewn or monocoat (iron on) hinges.  Either of those will work great!  Use a nylon thread, or something like it, so that they do not rot later.  I actually got several tiny spools of Kevlar thread (look like 1/2A Dacron control line spools) and that stuff worked great.

The iron on hinges are super easy and work fine for a long time!  They are not noticeable when done if you use the same material as the covering and you can put them side by side giving a pretty well sealed hinge line.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Mike Griffin

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 09:10:15 PM »
Guess I will throw my 2 cents worth in here.  I have probably tried every type of hinge you can think of and several years ago I settled on Dacron cloth hinges.  I thought I was stuck in the 50's until I spent a couple of days with Tom Morris and discovered that is ALL he uses for his own personal planes.  You can buy it by the ft or yard from Aircraft Spruce.  Tom and I both use the thin dacron that is used for covering aircraft, not the pinked stuff in the rolls.

Now this is only good if you are using dope and going to cover with Polyspan or Silkspan.  My choice for plastic film covered surfaces are plastic film hinges cut from the same covering material you are using.  I rarely cover with plastic films.

I use 3 coats of 50/50 Nitrate dope to thinner on the airframe and then just use thinner to attach the Dacron hinges to the flaps and trailing edges of the wing.  They suck right down and you can sand them down to invisibility.  Never had one pull loose or break yet.

The plastic barrel type hinges are in vogue right now and most of the stunt pilots are using them.  I just personally like the Dacron better.

Mike

Offline Andy Whitam

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 05:48:33 AM »
Bill, can you or someone else tell me more about iron on hinges. I though monocote was sticky only on one side. Do you just lay the hinge straight across the two pieces needing to be joined?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 06:10:45 AM »
Have you done a search on hinges?  Either here or SSW there is tutoral on hinges, barrel type.  Like a lid or cup with oil that you dip the folded hinge into to lubricate it.  Then the CA or Epoxy will not get in the hinge.  I have even done silicon glue to put barrel hinges in, but it is messy. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 10:37:15 AM »
Bill, can you or someone else tell me more about iron on hinges. I though monocote was sticky only on one side. Do you just lay the hinge straight across the two pieces needing to be joined?

Hi Andy,

The iron on hinge method consists of laying two strips of material side by side with the edges touching about 1/8th".   One strip with the glue up and the other with the glue down.  Ironing just the "joint" of the two gives you a strip that you can cut into pieces 1/2" wide up to how ever long you like that has glue on opposite sides.  They are then ironed on in a fashion like "over and under" cloth hinges.  Make sense?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »
Monokote hinges are made from 2 strips of covering about 1 1/2 " wide each. They are prepared by overlapping the adhesive sides face to face about 1/4", and sealed together with a trim iron or the edge of a regular iron.

Cut the strip into pieces about 1 1/2" wide and iron them on over / under alternating top to bottom each hinge. You will end up with a full length hinge with a sealed gap.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Andy Whitam

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
Thanks guys for the info on the iron on hinges..I like it!

Mike Griffin

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 11:45:30 AM »
Andy Walter Umland has a great pictorial on making monokote hinges on his website.  I am pasting in the link to his site.  Enter the site, scroll down to helpful hints and click on the monokote hinge link.  It is a great step by step process.  Walter did an excellent job on this.

Here is the link   http://builtrightflyright.com/

Hope this will help you

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here