News:

• May 23, 2024, 09:42:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installing hinges  (Read 3337 times)

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Installing hinges
« on: April 01, 2011, 10:32:55 PM »
This will help alot of people - I know how to do it with the durbo pin style hinges :

I like to put a small amount of epoxy and some petrolum jelly on the hinge and slide it in .Let it set overnight.

Anyone else have some tips on how to install hinges?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Installing hinges
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »
 :!   I do something simular, I put some vasoline into the bottom of a one pint paint can, then set this over a candle to melt the vasoline, when it is runny I fold the hinge in half and holding the hinge it self I dip the barrel in the "V", then fold the other way and do it again, then let them set on some wax paper and when cool install them.
  I have used a lot of titebond glue to install them and haven't had one pull out yet.
  Hope that this helps too..       #^

8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »
I don't see a need for the Vaseline.  I cut the slots with a Dremel cut-off wheel in the drill press (yes, you have to do that before the wing is assembled).  Push epoxy into the slot with a thin tool (hack saw blade?) Then, the important thing:  wipe off all epoxy, leaving epoxy inside the slot.  Push hinge in.  The epoxy stays inside and doesn't get onto the hinge.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:45:05 AM »
Well, my new plane is using Robart pin hinges. I like them because it's really easy to get the hole drilled accurately and it's easy to get them straight. And no real problem with getting epoxy into them. Even so, I fold them over and put the hinge into some thin after run oil, work them a bit to get oil into the hinge then wipe them off.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:27:40 PM »
I've used both oil and petroleum jelly, either works for me, but when I glue the hinges in, I use one as sacrificial, I put epoxy in the hole with a dowel or toothpick, wipe the excess, them push the sacrificial hinge in the hole and wipe the excess from around it. Then I pull it out and put the hinge in place, I've never had a problem doing this, it eliminates all the excess and leaves just the right amount of epoxy.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline scott matthews

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 05:26:11 PM »
The latest way I accomplished this job was to Use a Dubro hinge blade set from Brodak . Cut your slots using the centering jig provided and picking out the excess material with the pick blade provided also. Then you can cover the stabilizer now before joining each half or do it later after assembling the hinges . I have done both and found it is easier to cover first and then glue hinges later ( I am using iron on covering and not dope and silk span wife's complaint but that's a different topic). After covering, iron out the covering in the hinge area then take a plastic straw and smash the end together , squeeze open and drip glue in the end ,let glue run down inside of straw.Pinch back together then insert straw in slot then milk glue into slot like a tooth paste tube to get glue in bottom of slot.I do agree that it is best to put some kind of oil on hinge pivot points to keep the glue out and make the hinge work smoothly.Whatever you use for lube does not mather examples can be Vaseline,engine oil ,cooking oil,caster oil, cooking oil ,Hell be creative lifes full of choices and not all of them are wrong.Scott

Offline Chucky

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:01:15 AM »
Over a decade ago,  I conclusively determined that the time-honored practice of gluing in nylon barrel hinges with epoxy is simply not for me and stuck with the cloth hinges that had served me so well.  Then, after reading about it on an R/C forum a few years ago, I tried some Zap Pacer Hinge Glue and liked it a lot.  The only thing I didn't like about it was having to buy a single purpose glue.  Then, last year, a flying buddy showed me his CA-based technique and that was it.  It's so quick and easy for me that I now use it exclusively with consistently great results.  One disclaimer, however: this method is intended for models with a painted finishe applied after control surface attachment.  It would not work well at all where control surfaces are attached after they are finished. 

The CA method goes like this.  Cut hinge slots in your usual way -- just make sure they fit reasonably snug without significant gaps that have to be filled by glue.  Once the flight control surfaces are shaped and are ready to join, perforate both sides of the control surface over the hinge slot using a small T pin, pushing the pin into the slot cavity.  A perforation pattern of two rows of three holes, evenly spaced over the slot area is sufficient for the standard size Dubro hinges.  Install hinges, align surfaces, and lay on a flat surface.  Using a thin CA applicator tip , apply a few small drops of thin CA glue to each perf area -- enough to wick glue into each of the perforated holes.  Don't go crazy with the glue.  If badly overdone, it could wick out into the hinge barrel, ruining the hinge.  Wait a few seconds for the CA to kick, flip the control surface over and glue the other side.  Once the gluing is done, lightly sand the perforated areas  (~200 grit), apply a little light filler to them, then sand smooth.  The CA bonds aggressively to the nylon hinge material and the hinges cannot be removed without taking out wood with 'em.

For cases where the CA method is not suitable, Zap Pacer Hinge Glue is purpose-built for gluing nylon hinges and unlike epoxy, actually bonds to the hinge tab surface.  The only recommendation I'd add for this stuff is to fashion an applicator tip for the glue bottle so slots can be quickly and easily filled with glue.  The glue bottle is better suited for Robart hinge points than barrel hinges -- probably because that's what the R/C'ers tend to use.  Fill all slots with glue,  join the surfaces with hinges, then wipe up the excess glue with a damp cloth -- about like cleaning up Elmer's Glue-All.  No muss, no fuss, and bullet proof hinge mounts.  The glue cures much more slowly than CA, so you get a little time to make adjustments with this product.  In any case, it's far easier for clumsy people like me to use than epoxy.

Chuck Winget

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 08:17:19 AM »
Here's the method I use, taught to me by Norm Whittle, years ago. It works very well, and if you do it in the correct sequence and install the hinge in the flap first, after aligning them agianst a straight surface, you'll wind up with very smooth acting controls.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:10:01 AM »
I have used the Zap hinges before - but I find they arent as free as a barrle hinge for Hi level aerobatics.

I do use them for trim tabs and Boost tabs - very easy install.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 01:20:10 PM »
I have used the Zap hinges before - but I find they arent as free as a barrle hinge for Hi level aerobatics.

I do use them for trim tabs and Boost tabs - very easy install.

I have to agree completely. I only used the CA type hinges once, about 20 years ago. They worked, but seemed to want to return to nuetral when I'd loose line tension. H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
I have to agree completely. I only used the CA type hinges once, about 20 years ago. They worked, but seemed to want to return to nuetral when I'd loose line tension. H^^
I think they're great for RC, but wouldn't even consider them for CL.

Having said that, I have a Skyray that I bought used that has CA hinges, and they work OK.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 08:49:11 PM »
I think they're great for RC, but wouldn't even consider them for CL.

Having said that, I have a Skyray that I bought used that has CA hinges, and they work OK.

I've used them for CL, but I wouldn't do it again.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 07:51:57 PM »
I was advised to use RC56 canopy glue on plastic hinges due to the fact that it actually sticks to the plastic rather than just relying on surface texture for grip.

There is some very good information here, thanks.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »
I've used RC56 canopy glue for plastic (nylon?) hinges on large RC planes for years.  Never had one fail.  Easy to use because it's water soluable and easy to keep the hinge point clean with a wet cloth or Q-tip.  Plan to use it on my scratch built '52 Nobler that's nearing completion.

Paul

Offline Chucky

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 04:54:43 AM »
I've never tried Zap hinges.  Zap does, however, make a great HINGE GLUE, purpose built for securing nylon hinges.
Chuck Winget

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here