News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:19:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nice seeing all U SPEED DEEEEEMONS at the SKYRAIDERS last night.  (Read 908 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Great seeing so many modelers at the Skyraiders meeting in Auburn last night. Who could not help but be inspired when you hear and see Speed junkies like DON McKAY,MIKE POTTER still even after all these years....still remain so passionate about the sport.

With that I wish that I had taken more time...to take MORE SLIDES and then record onto those slides..."what name, n' plane go with each slide scan.

So with that in mind...(that's what I miss the most--MY MIND) hopefully when all you old SPEEEEEEEEEEEED DEMONS still  have enough memory cells that we can combine and put the right names, places and planes---BACK TOGETHAAAA AGAIN! (Humpty-Dumpity talk! LL~)

Feel free and jump in with names and faces on these old scanned slides... n~
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: Nice seeing all U SPEED DEEEEEMONS at the SKYRAIDERS last night.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »
A few more.....
Starting with George Lieb and Chris Sackett
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:23:46 PM »
scan detail of wing
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:03:03 PM »
Last couple of shots....
First slide...The background just doesn't look familiar? Canada?
2nd slide...Is the INFAMOUSLY FAMOUS  SEATTLE'S SANDPOINT!1970
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:31:52 PM »
Top pic is Chris Sackett with Bill Wagner behind in plaid shirt. Next pic is Ed Fisher with his eyes closed. A later pic has Chris again, getting a trophy from Bob Stalick of NFFS & WMC fame. Last pic is Chuck & Charlie Hough Sr. with others I dunno.  These pics should be slid into the "pinned" thread of "Vintage Speed Pictures". I'd like to know what that engine is, and who it belonged to. Looks like a TWA, but I never got close to one, much less got a picture of one. Appears to have a fuel switch, maybe centrifugal. Kewl!  8) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:24:23 AM »
Thanks Steve!
GADS! You have such a great memory for names, places and faces.
Don Shultz

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:44:21 AM »
I don't think the engine is a TWA.  I think they all had the "warts" glued to the outside of the cylinder sleeve.  Looks like somebody else's super tiger conversion to me, might be a "Rattler".
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »
HEY SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED GANG!
I found a couple of more slides...and scanned them of our Canadian friends...
Greg Davis and friends...nice little speed model...taken in the late 70's or early 80's at The BMA Boeing space center contests...

Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »
Thank you Schultzie for all the speed photos as well as the ones on the stunt grunts.  Did we really dress like that?  My son seen pictures when I was much younger and is still layghing.  I look at him and make a statement about, "Have the guys started whistleing at you yet with that long hair".  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 10:25:44 PM »
On Donaldo's first post , picture four, the guy in the yellow South Bay Piston Poppers shirt is Terry Prather.
Chris...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 05:36:02 PM »
On Donaldo's first post , picture four, the guy in the yellow South Bay Piston Poppers shirt is Terry Prather.
Chris...
Thanks Chris...I have more slides of Terry's models somewhere in my box of old stuff? Gads...I wish I had taken better care of all those slides?
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 02:25:09 PM »
That last pair of pfotos with the 1/2a model...Greg Davis starting, Bruce Tunberg on the starter, and Barry Hobkirk at the handle. The starter was a Cox 140 Utility Engine, and Bruce and I were partners on it. It was generally harder to start than the model engines, but otherwise did the job ok. I went to HS with Bruce (and Mike Haverly), tho he was a couple years younger. When I'd call his house and his Dad (Ed) would answer, he'd always say "Kelly's Bar and Grill, Kelly speaking". Ed was a pretty cool guy. He loved to show off the new rifle or shotgun he had just stashed in the garage, where "Mrs. T"  mw~ supposedly wouldn't find them.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 12:09:36 PM »
Steve..
GADS! AM I ENVUS of your photographic memory...and especially for your amazing gift in remembering names and faces.
Here is another test...I found this old photo in one of my boxes of old plaques and award crappola????????

What speed flyer alive can forget our "ROLLIE" Hillsland' (name naturally spulled'wrong) who gave so much knowledge and mentorship to each and everyone of us nerd-de-so-so's. It didn't matter if you were into stunt-scale-carrier-combat-speed-rat race..WHATEVER! Rollie was always there to lend a helping hand and offer support to anything that involved model building and flying.
 Steve and Gang???? Who is the guy that over those daze-days in the 60's (dated photo 68) and the other folks standing around??? (I have no idea who the weird nursemaid in white is that appears to be trying to steal away the throphy? LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Scott Newkirk

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 12:47:47 PM »
Don,
the engine is most likely a TWA or Roselle and Fry.  I'm leaning towards the R&F because of the CF switch.  This engine was just after the Warts. 

A number of people made their own engines based on the TWA bar stock ones.  Most notable are Arnie Nelson and R&F.  I have one of Arnie's .15's and the machining is quite similar but I don't think he ever made anything other than .15's.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here