News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USSR WWII color chart  (Read 446 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
USSR WWII color chart
« on: October 14, 2010, 06:08:06 PM »
I am starting on a Lavochkin La-5 (Brodak Profile).  I have found a rather good artist rendition of a paint scheme. They are in a book "Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1941-1945 by Erik Pilawskii.  Erik also has included great 3 views (top, right, left side) of the camo patterns.  I also learned that the three colors on the mode are AMT-4/-6/-7.  My question is where does one find a color standard card for these colors? 

Also the rules state in 6.3 Or: b Some other Pictorial representation such as a magazine or other published color painting or drawing.  I take it from this that I can use the artist's rendition on page 52 of the book book "Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1941-1945 by Erik Pilawskii. as proof of color.  If this is true  do I present the book to the judges?  This would exceed page limits as the book has hundreds of pages.  I don't want to cut up the book ( cost a bundle and is hard back) Can I copy it and use the copy.  This destroys the color as all printers have color shift.  Anyway how do you handle the proof of color on a USSR WWII aircraft?

???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
Re: USSR WWII color chart
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
All you need is what you have. If it shows colors them copy them. Anything else will only hurt your score. Use what you have. I have cut pages out when necessary. It is the cost of doing it right. I have actually spent more on documentation than a complete project.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 06:41:02 PM »
John

Dick is correct.  
Rather than cutting up the book I photograph the page of the book and then have the picture printed at a photo shop.  I then verify that the colors in the picture match the book.  If I can I keep the book available for proof if requested but use the photographs for documentation.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:33:52 AM »
John

Dick is correct.  
Rather than cutting up the book I photograph the page of the book and then have the picture printed at a photo shop.  I then verify that the colors in the picture match the book.  If I can I keep the book available for proof if requested but use the photographs for documentation.

Clancy

Thanks!

I did a high rez scan and printed it on a Kodak printer.  Very close to an exact color match.  All is good.  I will start a construction thread when I get started building the Kit.

y1   #^   H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 09:47:44 AM »
John, I'm watching your progress with great interest, and looking forward to your build pics. I thought I would let you know that the 3 views used to design the La-5 were from the Squadron Signal publication for the series. You may want to see if you can locate a copy. Brodak may have them in stock.

John Miller H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here