News:

• May 22, 2024, 05:07:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CL Scale Rules Change Proposals - Final Vote  (Read 656 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
CL Scale Rules Change Proposals - Final Vote
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:28:44 AM »
I have reviewed the results of the Final Vote and there were three proposals that failed to get the required votes to become part of the rules.

CL11-13 Which was to be in conjunction with CL11-14 to make Fun Scale the entry level event in place of Profile Scale.  The two events will remain as they were.

CL11-19  Paul Smith had submitted this proposal to clarify the Pilot Visable rules.

CL11-22  This proposal was to establish a new event to replace Precision Scale and FAI F4B which have been deleted by AMA or is being phased out by FAI.

The first 10 proposals I submitted to clean up the wording of the current rules passed.
That in it's self will help for the next two years.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: CL Scale Rules Change Proposals - Final Vote
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:08:22 AM »
CL11-22 mentioned in Clancy's post above was to reinstate a precision scale event in the rulebook but failed the final vote by a 4-4 vote from the Scale Contest Board.  To pass, a rule proposal must receive 60% of those casting a vote.  With 8 members voting, to pass this proposal needed 5 votes.  3 members did not even bother vote.  It appears that the Scale contest board is not fully representing the scale community and some of those who did bother to vote have no understanding or appreciation for CL scale.  WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING?  This means that there will be NO official event for CL precision scale.  This event should remain as a lynchpin scale event in the rulebook.  This, regardless of the participation at the Nats or in events nationwide, this is one event that all modelers as well as the non-modeling public can identify with and has been and should always be a showpiece of our CL model activities.

To those board members that did not bother to vote, they should be removed from the board by their respective AMA District Vice Presidents.

Keith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:27:55 AM »
As I understand it, Scale is ruled by a Board which includes RC and CL.  In AMA, RC always dominates such a board.  So having three RC guys decide to abstain from voting on CL bidness (which they don't savvy), isn't too surprising.  The chances of getting an AMA VP to oust an RC guy in favor of CL are, as they say, slim and none.

Although difficult (or maybe impossible), the root cause fix would be for CL Scale to secede from the RC Board and rejoin the CL family.
Paul Smith

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »
One possible fix. List those who voted and those that did not. Then tell us how they voted. Knowing sometimes helps.

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »

To those board members that did not bother to vote, they should be removed from the board by their respective AMA District Vice Presidents.

Keith

One possible fix. List those who voted and those that did not. Then tell us how they voted. Knowing sometimes helps.

Both very good suggestions, but Keith's ain't gonna' happen.  Now CB voting lists  used to be published in MA, however I don't remember seeing such the past several years -- maybe there but I failed to look for it -- if someone really wants to work, then get the list from AMA, and have the CLers in those districts contact their respective DVPs.

The DVP is the man to hire and fire Scale (any) Contest Board members. Unfortunately most DVPs alphabet is limited to "RC" and "CL" is not within their speech patterns.  S?P 

Now I may be mostly RC, but I will NEVER detach myself from my roots and basic love, CL. Therefore I do not hold those that ignore CL with a high level of esteem.  ~>  ;D

If a guy just has to have that pretty AMA shirt to wear around flying sites, he either should DO the job or get the devil out of Dodge.

"National Dump the Garbage Day" is coming up soon. Time to have one in AMA.  y1
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:12:22 AM »
The results should be in the magazine a few say they never read.   Also in the pack is a listing of the contest boards.  There is a chairman for each board.  Contact the chairman of the board you want to know about as far as the voting of the proposals. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 07:55:54 AM »
Actually the problem is mute. All that has to be done is have NASA add FAI C/L scale back to the Nats using the FAI rules and post a change in the level flight rule. AMA allow any changes if they are posted 30 days in advance in the contest flier as long as they do not conflict with the safety rules.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 07:43:01 AM »
You are correct Dick.  FAI F4B (CL Scale) is still an official FAI event and the rules are still in the FAI Sporting Code (rule book).  It can be added back to the AMA Nationals at any time NASA wants to hold it.

According to our U.S. FAI Scale Delegate Stan Alexander, the FAI CIAM has voted not to contest F4B at future World Championships due to lack of interest (entries), beginning with the WC that is to be held in 2012.  It appears very unlikely that the status of F4B as a World Championship event will change in the foreseeable future.  However F4B is still being flown and contested in European regional and national events.  It IS still an event!

There is nothing stopping us in the U.S. from flying F4B at our Nationals.  While I am not involved with the NATS operation in any way, I assume NASA dropped the event due to very low entry.  I think we can all understand that it takes a minimum number of entries to make it economically feasible to hold a Nats event.

Clancy Arnold's proposal CLS11-22 would have done nothing to help this situation.  It would have simply put the current F4B rules verbatim into the AMA rule book.  There was nothing in the proposal about changing the description of Level Flight, or any other changes.  The proposal read (guote);   "This event will use the published FAI  F4B rules as shown in the FAI Sporting Code, Section 4 -  Aeromodelling, Volume F4,  Flying Scale Model Aircraft, 2010 Edition until a complete set of new rules can be written and approved."

I voted NO on this proposal simply because it was superfluous.  What's the point of putting an event in the rulebook that does not even have enough following to hold it at the NATS?  Putting it in the rulebook will not make it popular.  Also voting against this proposal were Jim Rediske (Dist III), Bob Karllson (Dist IV), and Richard Schneider (Dist V).  It wasn't just "RCers" who voted down this proposal. 

Even with that said, I do think a new upper level CL Scale event could be worth putting in the rulebook, provided it is well thought out and can demonstrate significant interest.  However there needs to be a complete proposal, not simply; Use this "until a complete set of new rules can be written and approved".

If enough people want F4B back at the NATS, make it happen by contacting your NASA reps. 

Regarding the vote of the Scale Contest Board - Districts I, II, and VIII did not vote.  In the case of District VIII there were extenuating circumstances in that the board member Ernie Harwood passed away just 4 days before the final vote.  District VIII VP Jim Rice has already appointed a replacement, Lawrence Harville of Fort Worth, Texas.

Mike Gretz
Scale Contest Board District VII

P.S.  I can't really believe that anyone wants the old AMA Precision Scale back .. with the 3:1 slant of static points over flight points, scale rulers, measuring airplanes, etc.  It was dropped for lots of good reasons way back when (I can't even remember it's been so long ago).  "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be."

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 07:51:50 AM »
Here is the Final Vote on all scale proposals.
Mike

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 11:24:06 AM »
Mike
Thanks for posting the vote record.  The proposal that I submitted was to have a cross proposal to it to change the "Normal Flight Level" from 6 meters to 3 meters. The cross proposal was submitted by Dick Byron but never received by AMA.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
Mike

That answers a lot.

I guess somebody in districts I, II, or VIII could simiply ask their AMA VP for the job and have a good chance of getting it.
Paul Smith

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 03:00:34 PM »
Mike, thanks for taking time to clarify  (once and for all) the status of the FAI rules and to explain the logic of your vote(s).

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 08:59:22 AM »
Mike

Looks like three people need a cattle prod to their back side.  They didn't even vote on the RC proposals.  Of course, maybe they got no input.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 05:11:50 PM »
Doc, I can guarantee all the contest board members had "input" from at least one modeller. And I am pretty pleased with the final vote.
Chuck

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here