News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:09:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attachiing Landing gear doors to a Robart Landing gear  (Read 498 times)

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Attachiing Landing gear doors to a Robart Landing gear
« on: October 20, 2011, 06:17:56 AM »
All,
     I've got the robart landing gear covers that you use to make the Landing gear look scale. I was wondering - how do you attach landing gear doors tothese things? I'm modeling a P51b and have set it up with the robarts and they look good but the plane will definitely not look righ without the doors. Most photos I see on the web show the landing gear doors were attached to the landing gear by a bolt and pivot - the pivot being on the landing gear - the robarts don't seem to have this piece molded onto them

Do I just make them up ? and if I do - of what material would you recommend

Thanks,

Mccoy40
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
Re: Attachiing Landing gear doors to a Robart Landing gear
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:09:48 AM »
Mac

You are beginning to address one of the more difficult parts of scale building, that is, landing gear door covers. If I remember correctly, the P51b landing gear door covers had a different hinge point than the hinge point of the landing gear itself. On the real plane, this was resolved by connecting the gear and the door with a rod with hinges on each connecting end. As the gear retracted, the rod pulled the door shut, constantly adjusting for the different geometry during the swing of the two. This is very difficult to recreate in model form. One hard landing could change all of the geometry and one would be starting all over again. The most frequent method that I have seen on model P51's is to fix the gear door to the landing gear rigidly and not allow it to have a separate hinge point. The door simply closes with the landing gear. This will probably create a slightly different angle between the gear and the door than true scale, but it definitely is more simple. To mount the door, you probably should use something rigid like brass or aluminum strips. you need something solid. Simply bend the strips to attach to the door. Then, allowing the appropriate distance, bend the other end to wrap around the Robarts gear covers and epoxy all in place. Paint everything and you've got it. Good luck with the P51b, it is my favorite Mustang.

Jim Fruit

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Attachiing Landing gear doors to a Robart Landing gear
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:58:46 PM »
My LA-5 (profile) does not have retracts however I did use the Robart scale struts.  The struts I used are held together at the wheel end with a couple of screws.  I drilled these screw holes out and bolted the wheel door to the strut with 2-56 bolts and blind nuts embedded in the doors. My doors are plywood with balsawood overlay.  The blind nuts are covered up with the balsawood.  The Robart struts were not long enough to extend all the way up to the wing so I extended them with hardwood dowel.  The top end of the wheel door is bolted to this dowel with a 2-56 screw.  2-56 bolt hole in the hardwood are tapped - hardened with Ca - hole cleaned out by tapping again.  May not apply to your setup but it worked for me.

:!
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here