News:

• May 22, 2024, 12:03:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NA Yale 3-View in Flying Models  (Read 539 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
NA Yale 3-View in Flying Models
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »
Does anyone recall which issue of Flying Models had the North American "Yale" three-view?

I've got an RC AT-6 that's in really sorry shape (actually, it'd be in several pieces except for the nyrod outer cladding).  I'm thinking of gluing the wings back together and putting a throttle in it.  Since the plane is without retracts it actually resembles the Yale more than a Harvard -- so I'm thinking of rebuilding it as a Yale.

But I'd have to look through an awful lot of magazines...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: NA Yale 3-View in Flying Models
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
Finish your Streak.   LL~ LL~ If you do a google on the plane you should be able to find something. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:56:15 AM »
Finish your Streak.   LL~ LL~ If you do a google on the plane you should be able to find something. H^^
I'm almost done with the Streak -- it's in the paint shop now.  After that comes an S-1 Ringmaster (well, the S-1 comes after cleaning four plane builds' worth of mess off my bench, but it's the next plane project), and after the S-1 my bench will be open.

The real impetus to  build the thing up is because I fly off of a grass field where "pop-up" takeoffs are mandatory.  So I need a lot of practice on smooth takeoffs for CLPA.  So I was thinking I'd get that plane put back together for 3-line, then when I get a chance to get out to Delta Park and the paved circle, I can just do wall-to-wall takeoffs.  So the main goal isn't to build a scale ship -- but while I'm at it I may as well put a bit of effort into it.

And I've been looking on the web, and I haven't been able to find much on the BT-14.  Lots of AT-6 stuff, but very little BT-14.  Since I know it showed up in FM, which almost certainly means that I have the pertinent issue, it seems a low-cost way to start scheming on what to do to the plane.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
Tim:

I took a look through my piles. I have three pages of Paul Matt's three-views for the AT-6, but nothing for the Yale. Sorry.

Jim Fruit

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »
Thanks Jim.

The BT-14 is perfect for this project, because the model was designed as a SOS AT-6, only without the retracts or wheel fairings.  Since the BT-14 underwent constant evolution to become the AT-6, there are some planes out there that practically are this model.  As long as I can contain my enthusiasm for changing the outline it should be dead simple to refinish this thing to something I can call a BT-14 without too much shame, and get my take-off trainer in the bargain.
AMA 64232

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »
www.bobsairdoc.com

See what Bob Banka has, he has the largest 3-view collection that I have seen, maybe even has some pictures

I looked in my 3-view collection and found nothing but found a small 3-view of the NA-18 in the following book

"North American's T-6" by Dan Hagedorn.

Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »
He has four or five photopaks, and one three-view.  I'm frustrated because I know I've got that three-view in my possession.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 08:40:33 AM »
From what I have read while googling the NA Yale was that the only difference was the Yale had stationary landing gear.   Also looking at the pictures I could hardly see any differences except when the gear was retracted. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:55:05 AM »
Yup.  Hence, a Texan ARF where the designers left off both the landing gear and the wheel wells is just about perfect.  In this case, changing the nameplate to a different plane is much easier than changing the model to match the nameplate.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here