News:

• May 20, 2024, 02:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Forum / Re: Shug’s birthday
« Last post by Rusty on Today at 12:21:40 PM »
    Oh I have plenty to do! At least it seems I do. Plenty of chores around the house and such. Lots of "One of these days" projects. But I am moving slower than I used to. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out what I should be doing next. In my line of work, my mind was usually made up for me before I got to work, and I had to react to what others needed and required. Interacting with some great friends that I made over the years is what I miss. Now on the other hand, rush hour traffic is something that I can still live with out!!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Okay.  You know the saying, "Idle hands is Biden's workshop."   I think that is what it is. 
Open Forum / Re: Bud Anderson, WW-II Ace, passes Away at !02
« Last post by Jim Svitko on Today at 11:40:17 AM »
I'll never forget the video of his story of having an ME109 close on his tail and how both planes went into a climb realizing which plane stalled first would become the target of the other. When the Mustang was just about done climbing and his demise was imminent, he looked back to see the ME still on his tail suddenly give up its climb and stall over. He nosed over to follow it down and got another kill.
Steve

I think this incident might have been shown on one of those Dogfight episodes that were broadcast on cable some years ago.  The Dogfight episodes are sometimes run again from time to time on other networks.
Building techniques / Re: Endgame IV Build
« Last post by Mark wood on Today at 09:41:26 AM »
Mounted the flap control box and bellcrank.  Works great.  Absolutely no binding anywhere.  Now I have a question.  I hesitate to ask it here because I don't think anybody reads the build threads if they are in the building forum but here goes anyway.  I have to have trike gear for the twin and I need to place the rear wheels at about 1" behind the CG.  I have no clue where the CG should go on a GEO-XL airfoil.  I know a million other factors play into the exact position but if I can at least get a ballpark I can bend some wire.

Ken

The general rule of thumb for trike gear is that the mains axle be placed at an angle 15 degrees behind the CG.

BTW, those is some nice looking control system parts....
« Last post by Dan McEntee on Today at 07:51:32 AM »
You could build a model airplane for something to do.

Oh I have plenty to do! At least it seems I do. Plenty of chores around the house and such. Lots of "One of these days" projects. But I am moving slower than I used to. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out what I should be doing next. In my line of work, my mind was usually made up for me before I got to work, and I had to react to what others needed and required. Interacting with some great friends that I made over the years is what I miss. Now on the other hand, rush hour traffic is something that I can still live with out!!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
Classifieds / Re: FOR SALE NEW IN BOX FOX36X
« Last post by Harold Brewer on Today at 07:26:38 AM »
Don -
         I'll take it.  Send me the address for the check.

Regards,

Harold Brewer
Palmer Memorial & Knights Joust 2024 - South El Monte, CA - September 14th & 15th

The Palmer Memorial & Knights Joust for 2024, an  AMA AAA sanctioned event, will be held on September 14th & 15th, 2024. The location for this event is the Whittier Narrows Recreational Area in South El Monte, CA.

Saturday Events:
Old Time Stunt
Classic Aerobatics
Profile Aerobatics
Carrier
Slow (80 mph) Combat

Sunday Events:
Expert Aerobatics
Advanced Aerobatics
Intermediate Aerobatics
Beginner Aerobatics
F2D Fast Combat

Special Awards:
• Pilot's Choice Award
• The Bob Palmer Perpetual Award

IMPORTANT:
We need everyone's cooperation in order to have this event run smoothly, which means we need EVERYONE at the site EARLY. Please note the schedule:
• AMA Membership required
• Registration and Weight-in at 7:00 am
• Appearance Judging at 7:30 am
• Pilot Meeting at 8:00 am
• Flying to begin at 8:30 am

More registration information and event flyer to follow soon.
• For additional information contact Tim Just (CD) at timothywjust@yahoo.com
• Site Location: https://maps.app.goo.gl/LAm4KYedi8Fr2yvu7

Building techniques / Re: Endgame IV Build
« Last post by Ken Culbertson on Yesterday at 11:33:23 PM »
Built the TE flap tunnel and mounted the first flap.  When I use imbedded flaps, I use a technique that insures a "perfect" fit.  First I sand the flap to have a smooth 1/4" radius on the LE.  Next, using a sandpaper covered dowel I sand the radius into the wing TE.  Next, I mold a piece of 1/32 around a 1/4" dowel so that it is just over 1/2 the diameter and set it aside while I bush the barrel hinges.  I use 1/16" aluminum or brass tubing for the bushings.  Drill the holes in the hinges and push the tubing through the hole to about 1/8" .  This is to keep glue out of the hinge.  Run a bead of slow cure around both sides and work the tubing back and forth to get as much flue as you can in the hinge hole.  When it sets, cut off the excess with a razor saw.  I file the hinges flat then I take a 1/16" sharp drill in a finger drill and bevel the insides of the bushing just like I did on the guide.  With the wire sharpened and all of the guides and bushings beveled, the wire will slide in and out effortlessly till you get tired of taking the flap off.

Put all of the hinges onto the flap using the hinge wire then take the molded TE and cut out the little squares for the hinges.  Wet some 1/32 strips to act as spacers for mounting the flap.  The spacers go one each between the hinges the flap LE.  With the molded TE up against the flap with the spacers between them and the hinge legs through the LE, start the hinges i their holes them push the flap up against the TE as hard as you can.  This will seat the hinges in their blocks and form the gap between the wing and flap in the tunnel.  Now, with pressure still on the flap glue the tunnel to the wing TE by running a bead of thin CA  along the seams.   Pull the wire out glue the hinge.  I poke a tiny hole in the sheeting then stick a glue tube tip into the hole and bathe it with CA.
Open Forum / Re: Eve of a spin-up
« Last post by Doug Moisuk on Yesterday at 10:17:07 PM »
Hi Bob
Greetings from Canada EH
Love the new model. That fuse style is magnificent. I fly IC but you are tempting me to electric. Don’t tell my friends.
What’s the wing span and wing area?
Will you be producing plans?
« Last post by Gary Dowler on Yesterday at 09:46:55 PM »
Happy Birthday Shug!  Whoohoo buddy!

Gary
Open Forum / Re: Bud Anderson, WW-II Ace, passes Away at !02
« Last post by wwwarbird on Yesterday at 09:31:36 PM »
 Just saw this late today on Warbirds News. Inevitable, but still very depressing, another of the Greatest Generation gone. Bud was certainly one of the greatest. I was fortunate enough to have met him and chatted personally multiple times, as well as seeing his presentations and hearing him tell his stories many times over his later years. Just recently I watched a new short interview and could tell the time was not far off. It's still an incredibly sad event to have this great hero leave us. Here's a photo of us from OSH 2014 right after his Warbirds In Review presentation. Thank you Bud, for everything.  H^^

https://vintageaviationnews.com/warbirds-news/wwii-triple-ace-brigadier-general-clarence-e-bud-anderson-passing.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Advertise Here