News:

• June 03, 2024, 12:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bud Anderson, WW-II Ace, passes Away at !02  (Read 395 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bud Anderson, WW-II Ace, passes Away at !02
« on: May 19, 2024, 12:11:19 AM »
     Another legend from the greatest generation has gone west, damn few of the left. Can't get much more celebrated that Bud Anderson. Google him and read up on his career. I think he was still flying P-51s at Oshkosh well into his late 80's or early 90's. I think I have his autograph on a KidVenture hat also.
   R.I.P Col Anderson,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
Re: Bud Anderson, WW-II Ace, passes Away at !02
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2024, 04:46:01 PM »
No last flight in Mustang was in a TF with back up pilot on back seat when he was 85 not  at Oshkosh that late in life flying. He’s flying exploits go way beyond being a fighter pilot he was a true pilots pilots.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2024, 08:11:50 PM »
I'll never forget the video of his story of having an ME109 close on his tail and how both planes went into a climb realizing which plane stalled first would become the target of the other. When the Mustang was just about done climbing and his demise was imminent, he looked back to see the ME still on his tail suddenly give up its climb and stall over. He nosed over to follow it down and got another kill.
Steve

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 09:31:36 PM »
 Just saw this late today on Warbirds News. Inevitable, but still very depressing, another of the Greatest Generation gone. Bud was certainly one of the greatest. I was fortunate enough to have met him and chatted personally multiple times, as well as seeing his presentations and hearing him tell his stories many times over his later years. Just recently I watched a new short interview and could tell the time was not far off. It's still an incredibly sad event to have this great hero leave us. Here's a photo of us from OSH 2014 right after his Warbirds In Review presentation. Thank you Bud, for everything.  H^^

https://vintageaviationnews.com/warbirds-news/wwii-triple-ace-brigadier-general-clarence-e-bud-anderson-passing.html
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 11:40:17 AM »
I'll never forget the video of his story of having an ME109 close on his tail and how both planes went into a climb realizing which plane stalled first would become the target of the other. When the Mustang was just about done climbing and his demise was imminent, he looked back to see the ME still on his tail suddenly give up its climb and stall over. He nosed over to follow it down and got another kill.
Steve

I think this incident might have been shown on one of those Dogfight episodes that were broadcast on cable some years ago.  The Dogfight episodes are sometimes run again from time to time on other networks.

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2024, 09:36:17 PM »
I think this incident might have been shown on one of those Dogfight episodes that were broadcast on cable some years ago.  The Dogfight episodes are sometimes run again from time to time on other networks.

You're right....It was also described in his book....its a good read.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here