News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:11:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modified Brodak Super Fly SSR  (Read 5154 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Modified Brodak Super Fly SSR
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:38:16 PM »
I am in the process of building a modified Brodak Super Fly, "just because". I shortened the wingspan by 5 inches, added fixed flaps with a 2" root chord, and replaced the wing tips with solid block tips. I also shortened the nose 1/2" and only used a single 1/2" thick cheek cowl. I changed the stab and elevator for cosmetics, but used the original wood. There are also a few structural mod's, like a carbon fiber nose doubler and a beefed up center rib and bellcrank mounting. I also used a 3" bellcrank. I don't know if it will be any faster, but to me it looks more "right". Time will tell.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
Re: Modified Brodak Super Fly SSR
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
Hey Bill!  Looks nice!  I've got one that I built "stock" for the Fox Racing but was told that it was illegal and that's a darned shame!  I like it and all I've got is a box stock Fox .35.  Are you build yours for a particular class/category??  I've got a second one, here in the box that I was thinking about mounting my Rossi 40 on jut for the heck of it but there's no real purpose for it is there?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Bill, I think it looks a lot better than the kit.   Now I would like to know who said it was illegal for Fox Racing.  Maybe Fox Berg which is another event.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »
Mine is built for Super Slow Rat and will use a Brodak 25. I don't know why anyone would say it is illegal for NCLRA Fox Racing. Like Doc said, it wouldn't be legal For Fox-Goldberg racing, but that is a different event.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:47:01 AM »
Greetings John and John!  I stand corrected, I should have said Foxberg.  It had been my hope to go to Brodak's to have some fun but that was the year it was not allowed thus I still have it hanging on the rack.  I've never had opportunity to participate in "NCLRA Fox Racing".

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 11:01:51 PM »
Looks fast Bill. Wing has sort of a "Flite Streak" vibe to it. Ought to whip better than the stock SF. Send a pic to John Brodak. Maybe he can come out with a "Super Fly Mk. II" kit. I'd buy one.  ;D
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:17:22 AM »
Greetings John and John!  I stand corrected, I should have said Foxberg.  It had been my hope to go to Brodak's to have some fun but that was the year it was not allowed thus I still have it hanging on the rack.  I've never had opportunity to participate in "NCLRA Fox Racing".

You could put an LA25 and a shutoff on it and fly the 100 mile race on Thursday morning at The Brodak.

Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 09:28:34 AM »
You could put an LA25 and a shutoff on it and fly the 100 mile race on Thursday morning at The Brodak.

Thanks Paul, you're correct and I can accept and appreciate that.  Would you believe .... out of my "stable" of engines one of the engines I've never run or owned is an LA of any type!  I do have a couple of the older Max 25's but I know, unfortunately, they're not acceptable and with a fixed income and very tight budget I'm not able to justify spending for the sake of spending.  C'est la vie!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »
Why isn't the Max .25 eligible?    Just came from the NCLRA site rules for SSR.   Only engine not allowed is the Big Mig .25.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 01:34:34 PM »
Why isn't the Max .25 eligible?    Just came from the NCLRA site rules for SSR.   Only engine not allowed is the Big Mig .25.
  Hi Doc!  My comments may be confusing as I'm considering two different events at the Brodak event 1) Foxberg which specifies Fox.35, Brodak .25 and LA .25 only; 2) the 100 mi. race which specifies the LA .25 only.  I may well be mistaken because I missed a post or something but I've tried to follow as best as I could and here's what I found based upon what I've seen on this and another forum:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,38164.0.html
Stock LA 25 on suction
Outboard fuel tank, shutoff recommended by not required
24" prop nut to hinge
300 square inches of wing at least 1" thick.
59'-6" minimum line length .015' 7-strand lines.
House-provided 10/10/10 fuel bought from Ritch's Brew.

The Brodak web site specifies airframes that can/will be permitted but the rules for the 100 mile race seems to be allowing a somewhat more liberal selection of planes.  In any case I'm definitely NOT complaining I just want to have the right stuff at the right time if I can and if not .... I'll set back and enjoy or pitch in to help someone else if I can.  I regret any confusion I may have brought about.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
The one rule from Paul's Brodak LA race that will rule out many SSR model is the 24" minimum length. The SSR rules specify 22" and many/most(?) are built to that specification.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 09:40:43 PM »
So we now have slow rat, super slow rat, Fox race slow rat, Brodak slow rat and Canadian slow rat.

MM

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 08:51:40 AM »
The Toronto-rules LA 25 Sport Race started or with just LA25's and ARF Steaks.  But there was a lot of resistance to buying or building the 'Streak, so the rules-makers backed down and used the long-standing 300 squares and 24" length. 

I don't see either of these as much of a barrier.  I need at least 24" of length to make the plane balance properly.  If I made 22" fuse I'd have an ounce of lead in the tail. 

It's a ONE engine event.  The engine is inexpensive and readily available.  For a while they "grandfathered" the Fox 35 Stunt.  I tried to run my best Fox racing engine on the theory that 40% more displacement was a lot to give up.  But one race against LA 25's was all the schooling I needed.
Paul Smith

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 12:48:03 PM »

I don't see either of these as much of a barrier.  I need at least 24" of length to make the plane balance properly.  If I made 22" fuse I'd have an ounce of lead in the tail. 

Nonsense.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
What diameter wire did you use on your leadouts? Thanks.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »
.032 solid. The ends are built to be the line connectors.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »
It's basically done except for a couple small details. CG about 1 " from LE, weight 22.5 oz. I decided I don't like the look of the bubble canopy. Should have gone with a turtle deck.

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 04:28:25 AM »
So if I build the Super Fly and use an OS .25 LA, I am legal at Brodak?

My club is going to have a race event...not many rules other than engine size.  But I would like to build something legal for something....
Retired Army

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here