News:

• May 12, 2024, 04:10:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which n.v.a. for racing the Fox .35 Stunt?  (Read 3794 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Which n.v.a. for racing the Fox .35 Stunt?
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:08:34 PM »
      Hello All:

What n.v.a. did you find that worked the best for racing the Fox .35 Stunt? In our events, one could change the n.v.a. and stay within the rules.

In the old days, people use the Fox .35, K&B, O.S.,ST. and Enya and some other esoterical ones.  Some even went as far as to file the spraybars down to a very thin cross section.

I used a Fox,my partner used an O.S. and our main rival used a K&B.  Our speeds were very even but the fuel consumption was no!

I got 37 laps per 2 oz. tank my partner got 67 and our top rival got 27.  I had to short tank my partners Sullivan SS2 in order to guarantee at least on pit for the 70 lap heat! Explain his high mileage to me! Lol

Stay well my friends,

Frank McCune

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Which n.v.a. for racing the Fox .35 Stunt?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »
Based on local experience, 67 laps on 2 oz is about right. The question should be "explain the low mileage". Nonetheless, in Dallas we require the stock needle valve assembly in our Fox/Goldberg racing.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »
    Hi Bill:

Thanks for the reply.

Are you sure that the norm in your area is 67 laps/2 oz. of fuel?  That sounds very high!  I think that the average that we got was about 32 laps per tank.  Perhaps some of the chaps from the New Jersey are could post their fuel consumption figures. They have been into Foxberg Racing for a very long time.

I need a sport venturi and nva for my Magnum .15xl.  Do you have any for sale?  Where may I obtain a spinner nut like you have on your racing plane with the .15 Magnum ASP or ? How may I contact you and what are the prices?

Stay well,

Frank McCune

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
Randy Smith sells a very nice NVA just for the Fox 35. Stainless steel body with PA (Nelson) seal and needle. It is the same diameter as the OEM unit.

You can also use the OEM Fox NVA with mods. Cut the top knob off the needle and bend it 90 degrees. Then cut a piece of Medium silicon fuel tubing to go between the needle and the spray bar. The ends need to be square and the length should be such that when your engine is on song the tubing has no gap and is not being deformed just squeezed slightly. The nut that holds it on should have blue loctite.

Fuel mileage is all over the place on the Fox 35 I've seen guys get 50-60 laps and others 70-80 laps. Depends on the weather and dirt in the needle valve lol. If your mileage is real low you might have a worn out shaft bushing or you're just running too rich or using a higher nitro fuel. It also has to do with prop choice. The Fox 35 has a broad power band so you can run it slow and get more mileage or faster and use more fuel and get about the same speed.

MM  

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »
Our Fox tanks are nominally an ounce. Sometimes we will go over 35 laps per tank, which is our "magic number". That would be 70 laps for two ounces. Our usual prop is the APC 9x7 sport.

I have venturis and NVA's for the ASP/ Magnum XLS 15A. $10 each, $3 postage, $23 for all. I take paypal (billbisch@hotmail.com), or send a check to Bill Bischoff, 1809 Melody Ln, Garland TX 75042.

The spinner nut I use is an OS part, made for the 10LA and 10FP. The thread is 5mm x.8. You can buy them from Tower Hobbies.

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 04:31:16 AM »
I am calling Randy Smith today to place an order.  He has his Fox 35 NVAs and maybe they are OK?  I will ask him about racing the 35.
Frank; I am getting something built for our club race.  Ordered a Brodak Super Fly.  That is for 35 to 40 engines but it seems that using an OS 25 LA on it makes it legal for Brodak racing of some sort.  The 25 LA can run pretty strong as Phil uses it for speed limit combat..on pressure of course.
Retired Army

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:09:27 PM »
the LA25 can outrun the 35 stunt with ease.

MM

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here