News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:00:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Merangue S 6 .  (Read 4978 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Super Merangue S 6 .
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
 :-\ Will put this here so you can jump all over me . >:( Refinished the swine once with that Sig Stuff B. Wewge says Falls apart , as does B. Hunt , in their inteviews with Sparky . ( somethings stealing the Odd LETTER here . )

SO , theres a bit of work to do . >:( Rub the entire thing back , recover and refinish . LIGHT . With Paint , Silver & Blue . But WHAT silver & Blue. Anyone Tried U Pol Paint ( German Spray cans )

Santa had a word with the neigbour at christmass , and he threw his air compressor at me , actually He Put HIS compessor on His Mothers front lawn . You know what theyre like about sheds . THROW that AWAY . They Say .
So I Caught It . Already Have the Spray Gun ( Automotive ) and a mangey little air brush & Humbrol Spay thing . So , its just the tecnicalities . Here in Aus. about the Only Dope you can get is Pheonix Paints .

Would I be Best just to get ' Tint ' or Pigmint fitted to that clear so alls a match , from the wood up . Finally I will have to seal it with something . Also Coming towards winter here now , so low Humidity & Warm Temperatures'll be infrequent . Unless I get out of those mountains .

this one was pulled out of storage due to an ' error ' by a shipping agent . Tank finally stopped producing rust dosed fuel after the last flight . But was Bound with tissue & aryldite as the tin plate had rotted out  .
Wasnt Consistant in any respect , in the air , Normally with a clogged filter . Hauled it out anmd threw it up a few weekends ago . Gotta Getta Decent intake ( Case Hole Spraybar ) in the G -51 .
after setting it up for the Irvine . Dosnt Matter , Itll take Eather Er Either , But the Air Duct to the Exhaustsll have to get some Header Paint or similar if the Exhausts going out the ( scale ) exhausts .
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:55:50 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Super Merangue S 6 .
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »
I laked th pitchers. Is dat dope you menshuned Butyrate or Nitrate? Kan yew git Dupli-Color paints at th DIY auto stor?  n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:47:50 PM »
Owiginlly in th pitchers twas Butwate , so com of heasy , The Knewf inish is that tolulene cwap , wots all gotta get gone now , theen Hi kan Git som Nitwate from upper de wode hear , to we doo hit.

Thems Spay cans cnow theys wants 16 dollars each for . I preferded it when they was thrippance .

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 07:21:14 PM »
Yah, dats a prolum. Ist dis Pheonix Paints dope butyrate or nitwaite? Ift dis ist nitwaite, yo ist skruwd.  Reed up on 2-part automatic cleer kote.  #^ Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:28:49 AM »
Will Do , Mahn . The thinkings going more ' coloured tissue ' again . Reading ' things ' it wasnt originally ( the Full Size ) the deep metalic blue , but perhaps pre war R.A.F. ' roundel Blue '. Maybe .
Ive got some pommy tissue that seems good . Unsure of my silkspan even on Bare Wood now , though I used it on the Mewgull so I wouldnt use up the British Stuff .

Just fouynd these two pictures ( looking for ones of the Spitfire ) of the S6 when it was first done . Used 5/32 Landing Gear wire in this . Seems Adequate ( 1/8 is to flexi ) . FINALLY got the Leg Fairings fitted .
Using the width of the bound wire for the wood thickness - Fore & aft , grooved for leg wire & cut to clear the binding - Epoxied on . Found the join at mid distance or lower is safer than soldering the balsa wing
or getting heat & acid on it . A damp Rag or heatsink & positioning so the heaat ( legs ) horizontal , AND Pre Tinning the Legs before Fitting to the structure keep it less messy . Was Originally Sig Butrate .
The Wing stopped twisating after a few years . Id have to sit it on 4x4s twisted with weights & planks , way past straight . A hour after release at the field it'd hold straight for a  few flights , Evening it'd be back
warped . So imagine picking it up one day and sighting it - and its sitting straight .

Tailplane clean up'll be the trickiest . Will Read up on the Two Pot . Getting miffed with disintegrating finishes - years back . They last a bit longer than combat wings did . Polyurethane by brush on those , in the 70s .

That was with Grey Tissue (maybe Peck Polymer - over white tissue on the wings ) If the covering goes on o.k. I guess Silver Paint would look more like Aluminum .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 01:38:09 AM »
Before the contretempts ,

might correct the windshield fairing into a air intake at the rear of the engine cylinder fairings , to get the line through there right .Thus :

But What Use is a intake at the L.E.  :-\

Incidently the Griffons based on the ' R ' & runs the same bore & stroke .

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »
Before the contretempts ,

might correct the windshield fairing into a air intake at the rear of the engine cylinder fairings , to get the line through there right .Thus :

But What Use is a intake at the L.E.  :-\

Incidently the Griffons based on the ' R ' & runs the same bore & stroke .

I was expecting the engine would run the other direction. Most all the British, German and Russian single engine stuff did.   H^^ Steve

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 07:00:52 PM »
Yesterday Evenings ' farting around ' .

Acetone & scraper blade , used my 1/4 x 2 x 12 piece of aluminum as a sanding block .
A bit of irritation on the windscreen fairing / intake sucker , so put the  (steak) knife into it.

Found a bit of sig nitrate , so thatll do for the moment on the fuse , Have Talc from the Art Supply ,
so its not full of oil & perfume , as its not a babys bottom , Hopefully itll be that smooth after , tho.  ;D

Sides for the intake are on ( new ) . Maybe I will use the Silk on the Wing , Tailplane cleaned up good ,
which I didnt expect. Rudders a bit warped the wong way , so likely replace it .
And get the 1/16 Sq. hardwood out to edge a few edges so they keep their edge .

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 07:23:13 PM »
Will this fly off grass, or do you have wheels in the pontoons?   It's looking better. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 08:32:16 PM »
Will this fly off grass, or do you have wheels in the pontoons?   It's looking better. H^^

Damp Grass is GOOD ,

Have flown it on concrete . a bit abrasive . Particularly for inverted landings .  :-X its had a few of those , set the prop at 9:15 against compresion .

You can get water propped all over the place on water , the bow wave hitting the prop .

Best to drop it , for launch , from a inch or two of the Wet , Or awkward grass , so its started moving as it hits , seems to find its own ' sit ' then .
Whistles along nicely .
i did the leadouts on the wrong wing so on water it Walks Away from you , rather than toward , so you dont have to walk backward and fall in ,
on a raft.

Theres NO WHEELS whatsoever . Tho team race disc type at the CG ish wouldnt hurt . If it was watertight .
Recently Rebuilt the MC72 , controls 'n all . Due To The SALT . It took a bath years back over / in the sea .
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:54:24 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 08:51:12 PM »
w t h . fairing replaced over stab , the ' intake ' replaced , bit of f/glass on nose'll need sanding . :( still dithering on empenage edgings . better find a rudder .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »
20 Hrs with the Rasp ,  :P

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 07:41:46 PM »
The odd bit of gook , & lumber wrapped around the broom handle .
No Need for a Bath , was bucketing down. Ten minutes outside & it was soaked through .

theres another photo , of the lawn, as the camera 'went off ' , but I might leave that out .

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 06:06:57 AM »
Matt,

I just checked & Phoenix have Butyrate dope.

Model's looking good, I hope you didn't leave it out in the rain for too long - we did have a bit of rain.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here