News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Should I decant dope into smaller lots for storage?  (Read 267 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Should I decant dope into smaller lots for storage?
« on: February 27, 2024, 02:44:31 PM »
     Hello:

Would it be a wise choice to take four gallons of dope and store it in smaller containers to promote storage life.  Right now, it is being stored in a five gallon metal tin.  Perhaps, four one gallon tins would be better.

Thoughts,

Tia,

Frank

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Should I decant dope into smaller lots for storage?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 04:50:00 PM »
Yes, get rid of the air-gapped big can, but break down to whole gallons plus smaller pieces . Consume each gallon upon demand...in other words, open/decant and use one gallon at a time. First one breaks down to 3 quarts and then smalls (4 or 8 oz...12-16 oz if you build big and use a lot). Do the next one once you've used and broken down the first bunch.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 10:10:57 PM »
      Hi Jim:

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

I will do that asap.  Yes, I really like to do silk and dope finishes.

Frank

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 07:47:02 PM »
I would do so with caution. I bought a gallon of Randolph clear butyrate a few years back with a friend. We split it 50:50. He found some paint cans at a store and decanted some into those. Whatever was on the inside of those cans discolored the dope. The original Randolph can is still clear. Maybe a really good paint shop could advise on suitable cans for lacquer. I wouldn't trust a big box store's cans...but you can always give it a try.

Dave

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 08:54:39 AM »
Aha !! you have four gallons in a five-gallon can.  I would either decant it into smaller cans and store them upside down, or flood the can you have with Argon and make sure it is sealed very well.  And my Argon idea is probably stupid and easier said than done, since I've never had Argon and never attempted to replace atmospheric air with Argon and store it.  I can think of ways to attempt it, but I'd probably be wrong.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here