News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:31:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Canopy frame shading - acrylic airbrush paint?  (Read 567 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Canopy frame shading - acrylic airbrush paint?
« on: May 13, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »
Has anyone use Tamiya acrylic airbrush model paint, then clear over it? I am working on a shade job over a painted canopy and want to add some shading. Since it is a small canopy I wanted to use an airbrush and thought the acrylic would work as long as it was given a good clear topcoat. How have you done shading?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Canopy frame shading - acrylic airbrush paint?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 03:17:47 PM »
Has anyone use Tamiya acrylic airbrush model paint, then clear over it? I am working on a shade job over a painted canopy and want to add some shading. Since it is a small canopy I wanted to use an airbrush and thought the acrylic would work as long as it was given a good clear topcoat. How have you done shading?

Best,    DennisT

Dennis,

I believe you've seen this model? Painted entirely with Tamiya airbrush paints. Also Golden artist's acrylics brushed for the Camo. Germans did the winter Camo with a mop so I'm told.

2K auto clear which I believe you've used?

I'm adding this because I didn't mention it before, but you have to use a proper thinner with this not water.

There's a paint build on this model.

Charles
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 04:47:51 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 06:35:52 PM »
Charles,
For the airbrush what size tip/needle have you used for shading? The Paasche VL airbrush that I have comes with a No. 3 needle and tip, their manual indicates this gives a medium line weight. They also offer a No. 1 needle and tip for a fine line and a No. 5 for a heavy line. What is a good size for our purpose of canopy shading? Do you use a compressor or for these small parts is the canned propellent good enough?

For the paint, they show acrylic that is thinned with a mix of distilled water, ISO 90% rubbing alcohol and a bit of glycerin. Seems this is like base coat which also can be wiped off is rubbing alcohol. So clear coat topcoat should protect the shading.

I have seen videos of shading where they use a 50/50 mix of thinner/paint. is this what we should use or 60/40? One tip they showed was using a gravity cup (1/4 oz.), they put the thinner in first then the paint and mix it in the cup with a small brush. They said this insures that you don't get a blob of unthinned paint being spurted out on the work.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 08:02:50 PM »
Charles,
For the airbrush what size tip/needle have you used for shading? The Paasche VL airbrush that I have comes with a No. 3 needle and tip, their manual indicates this gives a medium line weight. They also offer a No. 1 needle and tip for a fine line and a No. 5 for a heavy line. What is a good size for our purpose of canopy shading? Do you use a compressor or for these small parts is the canned propellent good enough?

I believe have a double action Passche VL, I'm guessing,  LL~  Anyway, I have all three tips. I can't ever remember using the fine tip. The 3 tip should be fine. remember, distance and speed play a roll in how the paint goes on. A compressor is better. I never used that canned propellant. 

For the paint, they show acrylic that is thinned with a mix of distilled water, ISO 90% rubbing alcohol and a bit of glycerin. Seems this is like base coat which also can be wiped off is rubbing alcohol. So clear coat topcoat should protect the shading.

"They." Who's the "they?" There's always a "they." As I said, "They"  LL~ Art stores or on line stores sell correct thinners and varnish. Purchase correct thinners and varnish. I can look for mine and take a photo.

Thin by trial and error. Too thin no coverage, too thick and the paint won't get pushed through the air brush easily. Cardboard for testing. You'll figure it out by doing it on cardboard first.

I have seen videos of shading where they use a 50/50 mix of thinner/paint. is this what we should use or 60/40? One tip they showed was using a gravity cup (1/4 oz.), they put the thinner in first then the paint and mix it in the cup with a small brush. They said this insures that you don't get a blob of unthinned paint being spurted out on the work.

What is the temperature? This is the reason you start a bit thick with the mix then thin to get the consistency you need for a good wet coverage. Building with coats if necessary for coverage. The substrate color and the paint color matter also. White over black or black over white. Translucent?

I did professional air brush illustrations, custom show car graphics and a bunch of other stuff for a living and I never mixed paint in the cup, ever. Also, most professionals, we do get paid for excellent results BTW. The WWF paid me 2,500.00 dollars for 18 hours of work, repeatedly. This was the 90's. With this said, every professional I knew in the business would strain the paint before placing it in a jar, as you have, or a gravity cup as I had with my Iwatta. Yes, sometimes a jar or a detail gun, we called them Jam Guns. I still have one someplace. I wish I could find my Iwatta, but the inexpensive Paasche is fine. I painted the Stuka Tank Buster with the Paasche. It works! Check out the paint build.

No, I didn't strain the paint. No one was paying me.  LL~ I did use a test cardboard, actually a piece of white .032 aluminum, a "hit" before spraying the subject/model. Lots of "Expert" stuff is on U-Tube but they could be amateurs. Some, not all. It's also good to use a good clear varnish over the "light dusting?" you expect to do. I cleared the nose of the Mig-3 with a good air brush varnish.

Define "shading," exactly what is it you're doing? "gradient?" Are you trying to get depth in color using more than one color or to go from dark to light using the same color? Some confuse shading with a gradient? You might want to Google air brush gradient also. Some model airplane graphics people call peel and stick vinyl "stencils." Which they are not.

You can shade with one color, but pulling away from the surface, the way it's sometimes done requires a bit of practice to get consistency.

Best,   DennisT
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here