News:

• May 07, 2024, 12:31:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing Old Silk  (Read 793 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Removing Old Silk
« on: May 06, 2020, 07:23:50 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:00:53 PM by Motorman »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Removing Old Silk
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 07:37:12 PM »
I've got an old combat job with good bones that I'm trying to get in the air again. The Sig silk was put on with butyrate dope in 1978. Don't know what's wrong but if you touch it it rips very easily so I want to remove it. I tried a couple of things like pulling it off, scraping, sanding and heat. Will try dope thinner ect. tomorrow but just want to ask for any advise you might have.

Thanks,
Motorman 8)

What condition is the silk on sheeted areas, including LE, TE and rib tops?

Without seeing the model, I would simply remove all the open bay areas with a #11 blade and be done with it.

I removed the silkspan on the ARGO 2 wing this way and recovered the wing with silk. Dry actually using CA in minutes, not hours. There's photos of this and text in the Build Thread.

The fuselage and other areas were fine.

A suggestion.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:05:03 AM »
From Bob DeShields...  (this was in response to a few guys going on about how amazing his models are. The picture is a restored 20 year old model)

Ok Guys no tricks or Magic, I use the large thick black garden trash bags and dump 2/3 Cups of Lowe's or Walmart laquer thinner in the bag for 1/2As you usually can put the wing and stab in the bag but if not do 1 at a time . Your model needs to built with CA or you will have a kit when you open the bag 😂 I seal the end of the bag with a rubber band it does help to turn the bag to get thinner on the parts but mostly the fumes do the job . Never tried a model built with Titebond ? So not sure if the thinner would affect it I don't think so .after 2 hrs or so pull one part out and CK it do 1 part at a time if it drys you may have to put it back in the bag for a little while. It's one of those being patient things but is does work . With large wings I do 1/2 at a time buy taping the bag tight around the middle .you may have to pick or sand a stubborn areas but let dry sand with 400 add coats of dope and recover.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:00:02 PM »
I've used stripper. Just paint it on, wait a bit and peel off covering. Around here the brand is Jasco, but I'm sure there are others in other parts of the country.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
We have a stripper around here called Jasmine too but I don't have time for that.

Ha!

I'm not sure the effects of stripper on epoxy... I would wonder about that

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 02:55:54 PM »
I actually stripped a VooDoo that was silked from the seventies. I cut out open bays as Charles suggested then I kept brushing on acetone to saturate the doped down areas and peeled back as I was doing. Slow painfull processed but worked. Don't be tempted to just pull off ribs as some rib will come with it. Ask me how I know. Plane was originally built with Ambroid. I did spot all joints with CA before Monokote.

Tom
AMA 13001

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here