News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:19:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: brushing on dope  (Read 1021 times)

Offline adam collver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
brushing on dope
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:57:04 AM »
When I'm brushing one colour of dope over another how do I stop them from mixing together. Is there a way to stop this.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
Re: brushing on dope
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:30:36 AM »
1 wait at least 24 hours before applying the next color

2 apply a coat with out over brushing the fresh wet dope.  Put the dope on, leave it alone.  The more you mess with it the more mixing occurs.  If this means you put a coat on thin, then require a second coat after 24 hours then so be it.

3 you can use a clear dope layer as a tie coat if you continue to have problems.  Put the clear on where you intend to apply the next color, wait 24 hours, then apply the color over the clear.  This will isolate the layers some and prevent mixing at the cost of weight.

That's all I have on this.  Hope it helps.

Phil

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »
I agree with Phil. I have found it best to put a coat of clear on the base coat before doing the trim colors. And always go from light colors first and then the darker colors. When masking I run a couple of coats of clear along the edge of the tape with a small brush to seal it from color dope running under the edge of the tape. After I put on the trim colors I put on a light coat of clear before I take the tape off. That seals the trim colors for when I put on more coats of clear over the whole plane. I have brushed lots of planes over the last 20 years and this works for me.
Jim Kraft

Offline adam collver

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
So Jim you coat the whole air plane with clear over the one colour or just where the two colours would intersect.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here