News:

• May 08, 2024, 01:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monokote type covering over paint  (Read 3422 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Monokote type covering over paint
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had ever tried this.  Covering built up wing with Polyspan or Silkspan, doping and painting it and then cutting out camo patterns from monokote or ultracote, ironing them to the painted surface and then clear coating.  My main question is if the iron on low heat would affect the paint as you iron on the camo swatches....

Thanks

Mike
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:28:10 PM by Mike Griffin »

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Monokote type covering over paint
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:28:48 PM »
Mike,

I can give you my experience, but I have not ever tried this over dope.  First of all, any heat shrink covering over an open bay is very difficult due to the elasticity of the base covering.  But over a sheeted or solid surface it's works well.  Monokote requires high heat to stick and if you are going to use it, I recommend using Windex (with ammonia) or Trim Solvent.  Low heat coverings (including Ultracoat) can be heated to the surface with good results.  I have done this over surfaces painted with Rustoleum, Nelson's, and Duplicolor with good results.  Note, the smaller the trim piece the easier it is to work.  Trapped air bubbles are always a problem so I cut larger pieces into several small pieces.  Edges blend together well and are not noticeable.  I suggest you try practice pieces first.  This will tell you whether dope will work, but also it will allow you to get the iron temp exactly right.  Iron temp is very critical!

Paul

Mike Griffin

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »
Thank you Paul.  I was going to use dope just to fill the silkspan or polyspan and then use like a beige spray paint for the base coat and then iron down the camo swattches of the plastic film.  I am only using the dope to fill.. then I will prime over that, then paint and then put the plastic pieces down..  will Windex stick the plastic to the painted surface without having to iron it down ..??

Thanks

Mike

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:01:07 AM »
Mike

To my knowledge, Windex will only work with Monokote due to the chemical formula of the adhesive.  I've tried it with other coverings and it didn't work.  To use for Monokote, just spray a film on the surface and place the piece in position.  Squeegee out all the bubbles and let it dry overnight.  The problem is that Monokote is not very flexible and hard to use on compound curved surfaces.  Econokote is much easier to use, but I don't know if Windex works or if you can get it in camo colors.  I've had the best results using Ultracoat with a low temp iron setting and working the piece gently from the center to the edges.  I put a handkerchief over the iron to prevent scratching the covering.  I always get bubbles, but I puncture them with the tip of an x-acto blade and iron the area down with very low heat.  The good news is that the low heat setting will allow you to heat the covering off if you don't like the results and try again (sometimes several times).  Good luck, it can be done.

Paul   

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 09:56:24 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had ever tried this.  Covering built up wing with Polyspan or Silkspan, doping and painting it and then cutting out camo patterns from monokote or ultracote, ironing them to the painted surface and then clear coating.  My main question is if the iron on low heat would affect the paint as you iron on the camo swatches....

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

There's all kinds of printed vinyl with camo patterns. These you just peel n stick, no heat necessary AND they can go on wet.

I would google "military camo vinyl graphics" bet you will find something that will work.

Give it a try!

Charles

Edited: For Photo.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:53:45 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »
Charles is correct, but I have found that the adhesive is not fuel proof.  However, I have not tried this in several years, so the adhesives may have improved since then.  It is easy to apply that's for sure.

Paul

Mike Griffin

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
Thank you Charles.  I had not thought of that.  Thanks to you also Paul.

Mike

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »
  The one word to describe this is.....heavy.  Vinyl is heavy, and the extra clear to seal the edges against peeling is additional weight. If you want a quick and easy camo job, go iron on coverings from the beginning, or use an iron on covering as a base and paint in the contrasting colors. I've done it both ways. Vinyl is incredibly heavy when you start putting it on in large areas. That's worth repeating. If you have a dope finish already started, you are about half way finished, so I would advise to finish in that medium.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »
  The one word to describe this is.....heavy....
    Dan McEntee
============================================
Will second THAT.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 08:14:54 AM »
The good way to do this is DON'T DOPE THE POLYSPAN! Then the monokote will bond down perfectly to it with no bubbles. The film provides the strength that doping would provide. Less work, less money, quicker, lighter, easier. What's not to like?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 10:15:04 PM »
So, what did you end up. Doing?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here