News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:32:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3M Blue tape sticker shock...  (Read 1295 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
3M Blue tape sticker shock...
« on: February 10, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »

Among other brands and types I use this 3M blue vinyl tape for masking during painting. I like to keep at least a roll each of 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" on hand at all times. It's great stuff in certain applications. I just picked up a roll of 1/2"x36yd today at my local NAPA store and it was $17.00. Thankfully a roll of any of these lasts me quite a while, but doe's anyone know where you can find this stuff any cheaper?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: 3M Blue tape sticker shock...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:52:18 PM »
Among other brands and types I use this 3M blue vinyl tape for masking during painting. I like to keep at least a roll each of 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" on hand at all times. It's great stuff in certain applications. I just picked up a roll of 1/2"x36yd today at my local NAPA store and it was $17.00. Thankfully a roll of any of these lasts me quite a while, but doe's anyone know where you can find this stuff any cheaper?

Well you really don't need 1/2". This is fine line tape. I use 1/8 for 10.00 per roll and finish mask with 3/4 masking tape.
AMA 12366

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:54:56 PM »

You do have a good point there Sparky, but I like to have some 1/2" around for "automatic" spacing of certain stuff.

Now if I could find 1/2" Frogtape... ;D

Wayne Willey

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:05:22 AM »
Wayne I've been using the blue tape with 'Edge Lock' and really like it.  It's a coated paper tape and is a lot cheaper than what you are using.  It's .94 wide on the role.  For narrow stuff and cutting other stencils for names, numbers, etc., I still use Contact white self adhesive shelf paper.  Cut with a new sharp blade, peel and stick.  It won't leak and pulls up easily.  Spray lightly.  The solvent will soften the paper if real wet.  It's a little more work to cut the 1/8" or 1/4" or whatever but cost a small fraction of what you are doing.  My current paint scheme uses about  a half mile of tape to do but I'm not missing meals over the cost.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:48:36 AM »
Hi Wayne,

I bought some 1/8th on ebay that ended up costing about $10 a roll.  I got three rolls.  This is a darker blue than the old stuff I have always had.  ???

I used to buy the translucent green 3M striping take and it was much cheaper, worked great except for tight bends.

BIG Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »
Hi Wayne,

I bought some 1/8th on ebay that ended up costing about $10 a roll.  I got three rolls.  This is a darker blue than the old stuff I have always had.  ???

BIG Bear

I've noticed that too Bill. The last couple of packages that I've bought are a darker blue now as well. Also, it comes in a carded shrink wrap package where it used to just be in a sealed bag. It's the same item number and description as always, and they say it's the same product, but it doesn't seem quite as pliable as the lighter blue stuff was. I suppose the bean counters stuck their noses into the mix and figured they could save a cent or two. Maybe it's just me, but I still have a little of the lighter blue stuff and I do like it better. I hate it when companies can't just leave a good product alone.

Wayne Willey

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
Have you ever used plain old electrician's tape? I have. Maybe I'm missing out on some of the finer qualities of the "real" tape for this purpose, but I don't spend $50 per pint for paint, either. Ahhh, to have some of those kind of problems.... Sorry for teasing, I hope you get it resolved.
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
Have you ever used plain old electrician's tape? I have.

That's funny, years ago I did actually use black electrical tape quite often and it worked well in many cases. At some point though I started running into batches of it where the adhesive would leave greasy residue and/or sometimes even a blackish goo. After running into that enough times I just quit using it.

Wayne Willey

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:19:42 PM »
The 3 M tape has been found to cause cancer in rats living in California, thus the high price to cover the medical expenses for said rats in California. For some reason it will not bother rats here in Alabama. D>K D>K

Hi Ty,

Redneck rats from the South do not suffer from the genetic mutations which are rampant in California.  It is believed that the wack jobs living in California release carcinogenic agents from their brains in an unknown manner...............................  it affects humans in several ways such as banning Lacquer paints, etc.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
I painted a lot of rats.  Most of 'em crashed before they had a chance to maybe get cancer.
Paul Smith

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
As much as I like 3M products, they are pricey. You can get blue striping tape from other brands at automotive paint shops or auto parts stores that are less costly. Its pretty hard to tell the difference. I was given several cases of American Tape fine line tape from a sales rep around 15 years ago which I am still using. Each roll is individually wrapped and stays flexible.
The same goes for many automotive paints there are off brands like 5 Star which are significantly cheaper and work fine for our models. 
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here