News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2K Semi-gloss clear aerosol can?  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
2K Semi-gloss clear aerosol can?
« on: September 22, 2015, 02:12:16 PM »
I decided on going with a 2K gloss finish which I can get in an aerosol can.

I belive I can knock the shine down with compound or a fine sand paper and get the look I'd like.

Anyone ever go this root?

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2K Semi-gloss clear aerosol can?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:24:02 AM »
I did a test with that gloss clear and I DIDN'T get the look I wanted, which was a semi-gloss look.

Can't see myself spending 50.00 plus, for a can of semi-gloss paint for the Mig-3. Which, BTW, would have to be sprayed through a gun.

Can't believe semi-gloss isn't offered in an aerosol can?

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 10:50:30 AM »
http://www.repaintsupply.com/clear-coats-c40/

its available in Matte and Semi Matte

Actually spraymax website list the 067 semi matte as semi gloss

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »
http://www.repaintsupply.com/clear-coats-c40/

its available in Matte and Semi Matte

Actually spraymax website list the 067 semi matte as semi gloss
Tom

Tom,

Thanks for that.

However, I do not see where the 067 is listed as "Semi-gloss?" Says "Semi-matt."

Worth the try.

Charles

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 12:18:05 PM »
apply a wet coat then stand back enough to create the semi gloss look by dusting the wet with a fog coat. Takes some practice

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »
Charles,
You might give 2K Max a call and ask about their Semi Matt and Matt clear coats to see which one gives the type of finish look you want. BTW, the ship looks great.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 08:06:18 PM »
Charles,
You might give 2K Max a call and ask about their Semi Matt and Matt clear coats to see which one gives the type of finish look you want. BTW, the ship looks great.

Best,   DennisT

Dennis,

Thanks for the reply.

I did call them.

In fact, now that I think about it, you actually used that product quite a while back with great success.

But I believe you used the high gloss, correct?

I purchased a couple of cans of the 2K semi-matt clear.

If I don't like it, I'll scratch it up and hit the model with gloss. Gloss is better than a matt that's really matt.

What ship? I have a couple.

Charles

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 05:33:51 PM »
Charles,
Yes I used it on the El D. It still is holding up and is totally fuel proof.

Like both your 007 Steak and the Super Ringmaster that you did the cammo paint on.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 08:36:06 PM »
Charles,
Yes I used it on the El D. It still is holding up and is totally fuel proof.

Like both your 007 Steak and the Super Ringmaster that you did the cammo paint on.

Best,    DennisT

Dennis,

Yes, looks really nice!  H^^

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 04:34:34 AM »
Charles,
  The plane came out very nice! So what did you end up using? Was the Matte or Semi-Matte the ticket. I'm interested in a semi gloss finish for my next project.

Thanks,
Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 06:11:38 AM »
Charles,
  The plane came out very nice! So what did you end up using? Was the Matte or Semi-Matte the ticket. I'm interested in a semi gloss finish for my next project.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I used the Eastwood 2K gloss clear on two models. The 007 Skyfall Flite Streak and the P-40 X Super  Ringmaster.

Perfect models for test painting AND pen line application, plus clear coat over graphics from CFC Graphics, which BTW I've never done. But, many of my customers have! I.e., Nats winners!  ;D

Stuff sprays quite well for an aerosol can product. 22.75 at Eastwood but well worth it.

As I said before, the auto body shop wanted me to leave the model and pick it up at the end of the day.

So, I turned to aerosol cans.

The Mig-3, fake Warbird and all, IMHO, should not be slicked up with a high gloss clear coat.

Soooooooo, a SH member, Tom Luciano, found this product from R&E Paint Supply. It's a Spray Max product sold by them. Tom, thank you for digging that up for me. It's appreciated.

I'm guessing there would be many retailers selling this Spray Max product. Sold and advertised as a "Semi Matt Clear Coat." Here's the part number. SMT 3680067.

My guess is this product will go on as easily as the Eastwood. (They just put their Brand on things.)

I may have the Mig-3 cleared as soon as Sunday. We'll see.

Here's the Flite Streak and the P-40 with Eastwoods gloss 2K clear.

Quick note.

The only area on the model that has a collective amount of clear, is the outboard wing and that fuselage side. The rest of the model I applied the clear just enough to cover with no buildup.

Weight is an issue with all model airplanes.

Both these models are vintage, and probably a tad heavier than most. Gotta remember, original model vintage kits did not have contest grade Tom Morris balsa in the box.

I have to go light with the clear on the Mig-3 also. I used my old R/C stash on that model, heavier balsa than I would have liked, but I had it, plus a Sig Twister wing kit purchased many years ago. Sig's stuff was never light.

What are you applying semi matt clear to?

"I just love the smell of a finished model in the morning"

Tom, thanks for the reply.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:23:33 AM by Avaiojet »

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »
Charles;
 have used the Spray Max system clear for many years (clear cote) and have never turned back.

I have spilled 65% nitro fuel (from my racing hydros) on it and nothing happens.

I have a couple models that  are over 10yrs old and the clear has not yellowed at all.
no cracking either. 

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »
Charles;
 have used the Spray Max system clear for many years (clear cote) and have never turned back.

I have spilled 65% nitro fuel (from my racing hydros) on it and nothing happens.

I have a couple models that  are over 10yrs old and the clear has not yellowed at all.
no cracking either. 

Carl

Carl,

Yes, you racing boat guys like your fuel really hot.

Seeing I have absolutely no interest in mixing paint and pumping it through a spray gun with a noisy compressor, I believe the 2K Spray Max is the next best solution.

A few shortcommings with an aerosol can but you can get it done. Gotta mask up, try to hold your breath and be clever on how you use the product.

Also, I will deffinately use more artists acrylic water base paints, as I did on the Mig-3. I'm really delighted with the results of them sprayed with an airbrush and a quiet compressor.

Hats off to the 2K Spray Max aerosol can clear coat.  H^^

Charles

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 09:26:30 AM »
The web site shows several inishes. I assume that you are talking specifically about the "Spray Max".  How much is in each spray can @ $17 + ?  Will it be enough for let's say a 40" airplane, or Dennis' Yak Yak bipe ?

Do the tips spray clean like Duplicolor, or do they spit and spurt like the older style tips that are on some primers?
AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »
The web site shows several finishes. I assume that you are talking specifically about the "Spray Max".  How much is in each spray can @ $17 + ?  Will it be enough for let's say a 40" airplane, or Dennis' Yak Yak bipe ?

Do the tips spray clean like Duplicolor, or do they spit and spurt like the older style tips that are on some primers?

Tom,

Yes, Spray Max, your suggested semi matt. 18.75 on my invoice for the semi matt.

Can reads 11.8 onces. I don't believe one can will do Den's YAK YAK biplane. Sure, if it is applied thin, but I wouldn't go that direction.

Did you build Den's YAK YAK? It really is a fine looking model.  H^^

What I did was to apply good coverage only in the areas needed. Two cans just to be sure. Have a second can just in case you need to fire up the second. If not, save it for another model or for a repair.

One can should do that 40" model if it's a single wing and if you don't load it up with paint. But, I don't know how you spray?

I never used Duplicolor, yet. So I don't know how that stuff goes on, don't know the tip also.

No spitting on the cans I used so far, but I don't start and stop a lot. When I start, I'm generally not pointing directly at the model. You could quickly wipe the tip. Could help?

I live in fear of spit.

Charles

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 02:10:23 PM »
I am not building any of the types I used fro examples. I just wanted to get an idea of typical coverage. Sound to me that the auto clear coat is good for as much coverage at the cumulative price.
AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 04:08:17 PM »
I am not building any of the types I used fro examples. I just wanted to get an idea of typical coverage. Sound to me that the auto clear coat is good for as much coverage at the cumulative price.

Tom,

I've been around auto paint products since the late 60's. Made my living using auto paint products almost daily.

Rest assured, except for having an auto body shop, or having access to one, because of a friend who has access to an auto body shop, these 2K cans by Spray Max is a great substitute.

No, you won't get the same results compared to having professional spray gun equipment, but it does do the job really well. Excellent for what I need in fact.

I just found out today that my local auto body supplier carries Spray Max.

25.00 and 6% sales tax.

Charles

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
Tom,
  I just did a Nobler with 1 can. 2 coats. There is a little left in the can. Your mileage may vary. I'm thinking I can get my Brodak p40 done in 1 can. I'll be ready to paint that in a couple of weeks. I may just detail it here as I'm experimenting with Latex paint. Bob Hunt turned me onto it.

Charles,
  I guess I wasn't clear in my question. I was asking, how you made out with the semi-matte being semi gloss research. Thought you where set on doing your p40 in semi gloss. At first glance your plane looked like it was semi gloss. After another look, I can now see it's glossy.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »
Tom,
  I just did a Nobler with 1 can. 2 coats. There is a little left in the can. Your mileage may vary. I'm thinking I can get my Brodak p40 done in 1 can. I'll be ready to paint that in a couple of weeks. I may just detail it here as I'm experimenting with Latex paint. Bob Hunt turned me onto it.

Charles,
  I guess I wasn't clear in my question. I was asking, how you made out with the semi-matte being semi gloss research. Thought you where set on doing your p40 in semi gloss. At first glance your plane looked like it was semi gloss. After another look, I can now see it's glossy.

Tom

Tom,

Sorry about the misunderstanding, my fault.

The P-40 has been cleared for some time, the Flite Streak also. My first experience with the 2K Spray Max. Went on like butter.

I purchased the semi matt for the Mig-3. I was going to spray it last weekend, but I noticed a few things I forgot.

Detailing the exhaust where it collects on the fuselage. Good thing I noticed it.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here