News:

• May 13, 2024, 08:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finish Lifting At Joints  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Finish Lifting At Joints
« on: October 22, 2015, 09:34:15 PM »
Hi again. I just had encountered a problem. It involves my last build, the Fire Baby 2. I was just looking at it and noticed that on the wing to fuselage joint, both top and bottom, left and right are 'lifting'. Instead of being flat and flush as was during the build and finishing process, now looks like it has a radiused corner. i was wondering if anyone could possibly help diagnose this. A rundown of my build and finish:
All balsa joints glued with yellow carpenters glue.
Hinges incorporated crazy glue (2 drops per hinge, not affected).
2 coats unthinned Sig butyrate clear dried for a day or two (can't remember)
Sanded.
Applied 1 coat Sig butyrate clear thinned 50:50, dried for a bit.
Then, 1 coat Sig color thinned 50 : 50 then left to dry for a day or two.
Lastly 1 coat Minwax Polyurethane Clear.
Now here we are today.

So, again, any help, thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to start the next build,  but after seeing this, I would like to solve it first. I was really feeling that my choice of glue is the culprit.  Thank you.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
Re: Finish Lifting At Joints
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
I should add that what appears to be lifting is my single color and last coat of thinned clear. I will just run down and check on the tail feathers now too.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 10:31:41 PM »
Ok. So I got out of bed to check out the tail surfaces. The horizontal stab showed the same characteristics as the wing. Then I carefully cut off the peeling/lifting topcoat. No major damage, I will just coat the joints again tomorrow.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 03:29:51 PM by Chancey Chorney »

Offline GonzoBonzo

• GonzoBonzo
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:50:09 PM »
What type of Sig clear?  You should be using the non tautening Sig Lite, not the tautening Supercoat.  Sounds like the dope shrunk too much and pulled from the joints.  Any fillets in the joints?
Gonzo

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
Yes it was Sig Supercoat clear and Sig color, buth thinned wiyh good automotive lacquer thinner.  As for fillets, nothing specific, as I had run a lite little bead of yellow carpenters glue along the joints as a fillet only.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 03:34:29 PM »
I do believe that you may be onto something with the dope. I had originally thought it was the clear as it had a yellow hue in the corners where it is lifting, but after cutting it out, it was just the carpenters glue in the corners. I, as mentioned earlier, will coat the corners again this evening and wait to see what happens. Thank you.

Offline GonzoBonzo

• GonzoBonzo
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 03:45:59 PM »
  Never put dope over a water based glue before.  That could be your problem.  I don't think the dope will "bite" into very well. 
Gonzo

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 03:53:36 PM »
Is there something that you would recommend as an alternative?  Or would CA be the only option?  Thank you.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:38:37 PM »
Chancey,
If you want to have square corners at the joints you will need to use a non shrink paint. Rustoleum will work but its not as light as the dope and you need to wait at lease two weeks before flying. If you want to use dope you need to add fillets. 1/4" around the wing and 1/8" on the stab and rudder. As was stated you need to use sig lite coat in the corners Brodak clear is low shrink. Thin all the dope 50/50 and apply in thin coats.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 07:00:23 PM »
Thank you. This is my last plane using Sig Supercoat. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a quart of Randolph Non-Tautening Butyrate dope. I just have to get the thinner as they were sold out!  :(  I will look into doing/making fillets so I have this under control for the next one. Although number 2 is built, just got a bit of touch ups and fixing before doping.  Thanks again for the help and advice.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here