News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WD-40 on Control Lines  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Jerry Reider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
WD-40 on Control Lines
« on: April 03, 2009, 03:39:53 PM »
I just replaced my control lines with new ones and I was trying to think of a way to help keep them like new.  I thought, what if I'd spray them with WD-40?  I've never put WD-40 on anything that it didn't make it work better.  So, I took a can of WD-40 along to the field and sprayed the lines while they were on the reel before I unrolled it.  Sure enough, the loops come out of the lines easier when walking the lines out.  I don't like when there are too many twists in them and while walking them out the twists seem to not want to move towards the guy untwisting the handle and it seems to "curl" the cables.  The guys walking the lines out also commented that the lines feel slipperier.  I'm betting that the controls are working better later on in the flight as the twists in the cables accumulate.
Jerry

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
Re: WD-40 on Control Lines
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:12:20 PM »
I think the downside to the WD-40 is that since it is viscous it would allow debris to stick to the lines. I am no expert but I was taught to wipe my lines down with alcohol to get the debris and moisture off of the lines after I use them and before I wind them up. It always surprises me how much debris is in the alcohol soaked paper towel after I wipe them down. Maybe if you clean and apply before each use then it would limit the amount of buildup.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »
If you use anykind of lubricant on the lines, you are going to have to clean them after every flight in my opinion.  The oil causes the dirt and grime to cling to the lines.  As an individual pointed out to me when I show him my rag after wiping the lines, he states, "That is the oil that is in the metal".  He also stated that is why lines rust as people remove the oil from the metal.  So we just wipe the lines at the start of a session and after a session of flying.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »

Don't do it..  I sprayed a Shotgun once with WD-40 and put it away for the winter... It promotes rust... most lines are stainless.. but I won't take a chance.. I don't see a problem doing it if you wipe them down right away.. WD-40 is an excellent cleaner.. I use alcohol or better yet lacquer thinner. Store lines in a dry place and they are go to go.. take care of them and they should last awhile.. barring stepping on them...  ~^ ~^

On our job sites we use WD-40 on our tape measures to clean them up, when they get a little rusty in the winter time. 

Jim

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:47:54 PM »
Okay, the nays have it.  I'll wipe them down with alcohol on my next flight.  Thanks for the input.
Jerry

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:03:55 PM »
Russian combat flyers used to oil their lines,  maybe so they would prevail in a line tangle.  The Rudners decided to copy this trick and used 3-in-1 oil, the smell of which I don't like.  The Rudners came to the Bladder Grabber and stayed at my house.  3-in-1 oil was everywhere.  Yuck. 

People were using Rain-X on lines until we learned that it contains sulfuric acid. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 11:31:18 AM »
FYI .The Russians use kerosene for F2D lines.It smells bad too.Works good on the Russian lines ,stops them from rusting.Howard never invite the F2C team to stay over.

Brad

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 01:00:16 PM »

Hi.

The manufacturer's recommendation for treating Laystrate-lines (or Staystrate? Anyway, the 3-piano-wire-strands-tinned-together-stuff) is to first wipe them with WD-40 and then dry several times with a dry cloth.
 I tried it and they sure are smooth as silk, but I feel that I have to do the treatment more often than when I just wipe the lines clean witn acetone. OK on grass circles but not good when flying over dusty tarmac. L

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
While everyone has a different take on cleaning lines I use acetone to clean them. It leaves them clean dry so they do not pickup any dirt. In F2C lines always touch the ground during pitstops clean and dry works best, afterwards a light coat of oil keeps them corrison free until the next use.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
WD-40 doesn't sound real good to me...

I've been using "Aero-1 Stranded line cleaner and deoxidizer" from Aero Products for years now. Works like a champ. Cleans well and protects, leaves no residue, and is Slippery!

Not for use on solids, but great on stranded lines.

Check with Randy...

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 09:52:33 AM »
You could try Guitar string lube/cleaner. Makes them silky smooth, bit expensive though.

Cheers   Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »
I just replaced my control lines with new ones and I was trying to think of a way to help keep them like new.  I thought, what if I'd spray them with WD-40?  I've never put WD-40 on anything that it didn't make it work better.  So, I took a can of WD-40 along to the field and sprayed the lines while they were on the reel before I unrolled it.  Sure enough, the loops come out of the lines easier when walking the lines out.  I don't like when there are too many twists in them and while walking them out the twists seem to not want to move towards the guy untwisting the handle and it seems to "curl" the cables.  The guys walking the lines out also commented that the lines feel slipperier.  I'm betting that the controls are working better later on in the flight as the twists in the cables accumulate.

I don't think it's going to do much positive for you, but it probably won't hurt anything long-term. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a cleaner if I got something like uncured epoxy on the lines, or some gummy oil.  It's a pretty effective cleaner for hydrocarbons so it will clean off any oil, and leave the metal wide open for rust.  WD-40  won't prevent rust, but it also doesn't promote it, at least not directly. It was made for use on Stainless Steel in the first place, and stainless steel doesn't rust in any case. If you use on on music wire solids (not stainless like almost everybody in stunt uses) and leave it that way, you will remove all the oil and you will have reel full of orange corroded lines to throw away next time you go out.

After trying every treatment in the world (including those used by other stunt fliers successfully), I have pretty much settled on stranded lines, with lacquer thinner before every serious flight, every other practice flight, and NOTHING else.  Occasionally I use a "flood method" of cleaning with lacquer thinner, basically running them through a puddle of lacquer thinner in my had and then very liberal flushing with a paper towel.  If I had stainless solids I would clean with acetone between and immediately before each flight, lacquer thinner at the end of the day, and swapping them end-for-end after about 50 flights, then tossing them on the 100th flight (because the spalling off of metal makes them draggy out near the airplane end). If I ran music wire solids, I would clean them with WD-40 and then lacquer thinner at the start of a session, acetone between flights, and then something like air tool oil at the end of the day before rolling them up.

And it might be obvious (but apparently it wasn't given that I saw a 50-year veteran Top 5 flier do it  with bad results) use a *clean* rag or paper towel to clean the lines! Only use it for lines, not wiping up fuel, etc. Aforementioned 50-year+ veteran was using an old rag, filthy, to clean his solids. He was complaining about them sticking, so I looked at his rag and then handed him a fresh paper towel to clean it again. Appalling black marks, took about 5 passes, half a bottle of lacquer thinner and 3 paper towels before it came clean. Magically, the lines no longer stuck, much to his apparent surprise.

BTW, Bounty paper towels, ideally the Select-A-Size type, are the preferred brand of towels.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here