News:

• April 28, 2024, 07:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Too Much Stuff  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Richard Entwhistle 823412

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Too Much Stuff
« on: March 12, 2020, 01:31:08 AM »
I had a heart attack on Dec 5th last year.  The attack was not too bad.  One stent and I was back to maybe 80%.  I was getting better and then I had total heart failure. I filled up  with water and almost bought the farm.  I'm back to maybe 60% now and getting better.  While in the hospital I thought of all the stuff the wife would have to deal with.  Putting me in the ground would be simple but dealing with the piles of things I have collected over the years is another story. A complete Pro Stock racing outfit, 48 foot trailer and a Cat powered Toterhome could be sold as one piece, big Lionel train collection, extensive collection of tube amps and preamps from the 60s and I never meet a Klipsch speaker I didn't love, Khorns, Belles, Cornwalls  Fortes and on and on.  I put a price tag on each piece.  I thought I was done.  I looked up and saw the collection of Sage fly rod in the ceiling.  Three to eight weights.  Light Lines to SPs.  Two piece to four piece.  Ross and Abel reels.  Plus the airplane collection.  I am sorry honey! Sell the stuff now so the  wife does not go nuts and you can get close to what it is worth.  She is going to need those bucks after you are gone. 

Later
Richard
Richard Entwhistle 823412
Scappoose OR

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Re: Too Much Stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 03:38:04 AM »
I understand, Richard.  Not nearly as much to deal with here, but birthday # 80 comes up soon and I'm thinking it's too much of a mess to leave for my wife & son to deal with.

As much as we might like to live forever, it's wise to face reality.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 04:23:33 AM »
There are a number of strategies to deal with collections of stuff.  As you say, forming a plan is a great idea.

One approach is to identify a person to serve as "agent to the executor" who will handle all aspects of the sales.  This could be a single person or several people, depending on their skills, knowledge and interest.  It is not unusual to even designate this person in a will.  If you go this route, checking experience and references would be a good idea.

Making inventories and price estimates may or may not help, depending on the chosen strategy.  If the items are sold at auction, this step is not required.

Again, you are smart to think things through and form a plan.  But, if you find the right agent, your family/executor may not have to perform much of the actual work.

Peter

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 06:39:13 AM »
And I thought I had too much stuff!  Engines, unbuilt kits, a medium-sized stash of balsa and other building materials, and a small collection of antique woodworking and engineering tools - and that's about it, if you don't include my library.  At least the books are entered on a spreadsheet, with first editions etc. duly noted - but the funny thing is that the ONLY books I have that are seriously valuable are the children's books - 1940s and early 1950s annuals seem to be hugely collectable these days...  Oh, NO!  I've completely forgotten about my stacks of 'AeroModeller' magazine from the early 1950s almost to date.  They're worth something, though oddly enough my old motorcycling mags aren't (I sold my bikes years ago).  Anything else?  My plans, of course - three box-files full of plans... I think I'd better stop looking in case I find something else to worry about, and just concentrate on not catching the COVID-19 virus in the hope that I can last for another few years.

May COVID-19 stay away from your door, as from mine.

John
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 07:42:02 AM »
Interesting topic for sure, one that I have discussed with another modeler with a much larger collection than mine. He's considering arranging to donate his collection to the local club to do what they wish and ultimately benefiting from the proceeds. I know of three model estate collectors but all three are my age so I doubt they'll have any interest when it's my time, who knows. Preparing an inventory is probably not a bad idea at least someone will have an idea of what is hidden in those cabinets and closets. All three of my boys now in there 40s are eBay savvy but I doubt they will have the time to market the stuff. I recall an old-timer who left the hobby in the 90s was discovered by someone who bought all his models that are now hanging in various restaurants and airport lobbies throughout the NYC area or so he was told.

In all due respect for my wife, I should consider doing something to make it easier for her. Her mother is still with us at 95 so there's little question who will go first. As for my woodworking equipment a sizable collection, that's a whole different story, the boys hopefully will want it.

Steve

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 08:28:05 AM »
Steve has made an astute observation.  The process takes time, as he points out.  But, it also takes skills, knowledge, space and, to a lesser extent, equipment.

Selling the five hundred pound Ampex MM1000 tape recorder probably presented the largest challenge I've seen, in terms of shipping.  But even that was possible by using the uship.com website, which is essentially "Uber for stuff, with eBay style bidding."  Recipient was ultimately happy with the item, shipped to Nashville.

For planning purposes, if a friend or family member is proposed as an agent, it's a good idea to estimate how long it will take, and even ask them to handle a few items to see how well the partnership works.  Each item takes about two hours to handle:  A half hour for the photography, a half hour to list it, a half hour for shipping, and a half hour for the final accounting.  With help, about forty items per week is max speed, goal speed. 

Peter

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 08:29:24 AM »
Richard, it's good to know you're still out there -- I haven't been getting out to fly much (I am going out that direction today, but it'll be testing automotive tech in the PIR South Paddock; I won't even get a glimpse of the circle from the freeway).

Barbara is an extremely calm, capable and practical woman -- she'll miss you greatly if you go first, but she'll survive.

If you have the energy, you could start selling stuff on Craigslist and eBay.  Just wash your hands often...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 08:40:20 AM »
Something that happened at our last stunt contest is, I think, a portend of the future.

The daughter of one of the former members came to the contest with a small trailer full of her father's control line models, kits, engines, tools, flight box, parts, etc.  She said that she just wanted someone who could use his stuff to have it.   She wouldn't take any money for any of it.

I'm 66 years old, and I see a day in the near future when there will be more people trying to sell or give away their (or their husband's/father's) control line stuff than there are people who know what it means that the model has two short wires coming out of the left wingtip. :(

Joe Ed Pederson

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 09:15:18 AM »
The subject clearly rests on our emotions, where will our treasures end up? I recall years back walking by a dumpster being filled by a family tasked with cleaning out the parent's estate. I discovered sitting on the top of the pile was a Junior Ringmaster with a like-new McCoy Red Head 35. The plane was tattered having been over 50 years old, I was told by the children the model was their fathers and was built when the kids were very young. No one knew much about it other than it was now junk. Of course, I grabbed it and it's oversized motor. Conclusion, beauty or something may be of value only in the eye of the beholder.

Perhaps dad was up there looking down happy someone had an appreciation for what he at one time valued very much. I have to believe my wife and family will have more of an appreciation of my stuff beyond allowing it to end up in a dumpster. But then what does it really matter in the big picture?? For now, let's enjoy.

Steve

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 09:18:35 AM »
I recently helped the executor of the Howard Williams estate in finding buyers for all of his kits, engines, etc.  There was probably a couple of hundred kits and that many engines as well to sell and I can tell you that although it was not overwhelming, it was very time consuming to advertise and keep records of who was buying what and getting it all shipped.  It took 7 months of constant attention to move what was in that collection and larger ones could take years if sold like that.

Having a future plan for disbursement  is a very wise thing to do.  I am 72 years old and have to start thinking about the same thing. 

Mike

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »
Mike,

Wow, 7 months of your time was a tremendous commitment. It requires a person of devotion toward our hobby to extend themselves to this degree.

I wonder if we shouldn't have a new topic called "Estate Activity" to help family members find contacts to disburse these collections?

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 10:17:48 AM »
Myself I'm not going to worry about will happen to my stuff when my spirit leaves this world.  The body will be put in the incinerator and what is done with ashes will be up to the family as long as it is not buried in the ground.

Maybe the family will start trying to help inner city kids with it.  Who knows as I will not be worrying any more about it. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »
Mike,

Wow, 7 months of your time was a tremendous commitment. It requires a person of devotion toward our hobby to extend themselves to this degree.

I wonder if we shouldn't have a new topic called "Estate Activity" to help family members find contacts to disburse these collections?

Steve

Steve I am retired so I had the time to do it and I did not mind at all.  It did raise several thousands of dollars to help the family out.  I think your idea of the "Estate Activity" is a good idea as people who are interested could go to one place and see what is there.  I was advertising here, Stuka Stunt (before their demise) and about 3 different facebook groups.  The biggest problem I had was keeping track since I had so many different places to keep track of.  People naturally have questions about items and I was constantly resizing and posting pictures as items were sold and added.  It really does take a lot of time.   I think your idea is a very good one Steve.

Mike

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »
I have been subjected to a much less time consuming solution to having too much stuff.    My wife had instructions to call Mike Scott and give everything to him to distribute to needy fliers.  I was supposed to be dead or useless before that happened.  Sorry Mike, the fire got it all.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »
   Hey Richard,
  I went through the same crap a few years ago.. heart attack, stents also have a ton of stuff kicking around the house. I feel anyone that hasn't the time to take care of my stuff when I kick off won't have time for any money or real estate either. I'm slowly taking care of things as I see fit & has time & interest in doing.  If people don't like the way I'm doing things I'll give everything to the Hydro Museum. 
    You don't have any nice Fenwick Glass Steelhead rods do you ?
           John L.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 01:21:05 PM »
Luckily I have my boy Samuel, whom many of you know. My CL items will be used for many years to come should I pass.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 09:39:19 AM »
The Lafayette Esquadrille has seen more and more model airplane estates become available. two estates flat out were donated to our club, we auctioned them off or just let club members have them. the point is there are several ways to handle this kind of situation

Leave contact information with your stuff for your kids or who ever cares on who to contact to get help on dealing with the model airplane stuff, name, phone number, website, anything....

1) Contact the club that the person was involved with, they will offer sources to sell off the items at an auction or swap meet

2) Donate the items to the club they were involved with

3) Try to sell the items on Ebay (a lot of work) and you will need help setting the price and trying to figure out what the items are

4) take to the local flying site and put FREE on them!

5) Do not throw the items away, there will be valuable items that the local club can use or want

One member of the Lafayette who passed away two years ago gave the club his collection of throphies, some of which dated back 30+ years and are going to stay with the club. His kids probably would have tossed them in the trash.

Donations are being accepted for the Raffle we are having at our June 27-28 CL Fun Fly at Buder Park. Come and fly at the fun fly and brings something if you want to see it find another home!

https://lafayetteesquadrillecl.wordpress.com/lafayette-esquadrille-cl/control-line-contest-st-louis/60th-anniversary-buder-park-cl-fun-fly-june-27-2020/

Fred Cronenwett
Lafayette Esquadrille Secretary & Webmaster
www.lafayetteEsquadrilleCL.wordpress.com
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 01:48:50 PM »
Fred,

I plan to copy your instructions and tape it to the inside door of one or two of the wall cabinets where someone will no doubt see it. I may even generate also the inventory to make it easier.

Steve

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 06:04:02 AM »

It's just getting too overwhelming. Starting with stuff you've inherited from deceased modelers, it's the least burdensom way out. And if you leave them whole and off in the corner to take with you on the next dump trip, forget it, it won't happen. It's like selling the house you grew up in, the relief of having it gone overcomes the emotion and you move on.

Ara
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:50:48 AM by Ara Dedekian »

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 09:47:10 AM »
When I converted over to electric I decided to clean house. I sold over 450 engines. Many were bought by members of this forum. Also tons of support parts and equipment. This process took over 2 years of never ending packing and shipping. In the end I gave items to close friends in the hobby. Kits are still the hardest thing to sell. Realistically you don't actually sell stuff. for the price you give it away. Built aircraft are impossible to sell in a desert devoid of fellow C/L flyers. They make great gifts though. Of course when I went electric being a master of excess I'm now faced with the prospect of having to get someone to unload the toys that I have accumulated in the intervening years.And they have been many. One of the joys of being single is the ability to satisfy your wants and don't really needs. Of course the current stock market situation has had the effect of curtailing my impulsive side to own everything.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 10:30:01 AM »
If you really want to sell your stuff and unburden family, here's the deal.

Make a list.

Price your items as if you legitimately want to sell them, fast. 

Don't just pretend to desire to sell your items and pi$$ and moan when nobody meets your unrealistic high price. 
If really you want your items gone, price them so you let buyers know that you really want it gone, immediately, like yesterday.

Then your stuff will sell.

If your items haven't sold at that point, give them away as gifts to other modelers.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:50:43 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »
Several comments:

1. In my experience, kits are easy to sell.  For online sales, you photograph them, box them, list them, ship them.  Nothing really that different than any other item, except the boxes are a little larger and the repacking takes some skill if you choose to "spread" the kit for inspection / photos.

2. There is no need to either make an inventory or set prices if you sell at auction.  In fact, for a really big collection, waiting to start selling until you have done a full inventory could result in a big delay.  My own strategy is to deal with the bulky or heavy items first, e.g. kits, built planes, then switch to the small items.   

3. Built planes beyond 1/2A size are a challenge to ship.  For those, local club meetings and/or contest appointments work best for me.

my $0.02,

Peter

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 12:16:11 PM »
Since we all have too many things:
Do any of you have a 1950-51 Fox .29R you would like to sell?
The engine has 29R stamped on the front of the exhaust stack.
PM or email me if you have one you want to sell.

It doesn't have to be perfect, just let me know the condition please..
De Hill

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 05:53:57 PM »
New stuff becomes obsolete pretty fast for the PA contenders. But old time ignition engines are never obsolete. Probably why I have to many. I have great grandkids that love them.

I also have a pretty good collection of McCoy Red Heads, Fox 59's along with assorted other 29's and 35's. Old guys like old stuff, and model engines are old stuff to me. Since I first saw my first model fly in Swope Park in the 40's. One persons junk is another mans treasure.

I enjoy owning them and running them, It is another hobby in itself. I have also restored many to better than new condition. That alone is very rewarding to me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:10:41 PM by Jim Kraft »
Jim Kraft

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 06:26:04 PM »
Been thinking about this too. When I go, somebody or group is REALLY going to hit the Jackpot!!

Moki 61 Long Strokes NIB, OS Max SF Ringed Long Strokes NIB, Thunder Tiger Pro 120's NIB etc. I sure would like to be the guy left behind, who gets all that stuff lol LL~

Unlike a lot of other guys, I don't have a lot,(didn't want it) but man, I used EVERY last bit of knowledge I had, to do some SERIOUS cherry picking. Had to sell my absolutely pristine NIB Topflite AT-6 Texan Gold Edition kit. Boy that hurt,(Topflite no longer makes them).
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here