News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:41:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The corner conversation...  (Read 7985 times)

Offline Derek Barry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The corner conversation...
« on: July 20, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »
A discussion started in one of the world championships threads, and it was about "corners". More specifically, about how they are scored at the world's vs US contests. It was also mentioned by someone that we should go back to the 5' radius rule. A different person felt like we in the US have softened up a little, on the rules and/or what is considered "good"

Last year, at the Nat's I just happened to take some slow motion videos of the reigning world champion, Orestes Hernandez. He has always had some of the tightest corners in stunt, Paul is probably #1. Watch the video....

Derek

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The corner conversation...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »
Very illustrative, Derek! Yes, Orestes is known for his amazingly tight corners, but in this video we see that there is actually quite a substantial radius to them. This takes nothing away from Orestes' prowess as a flier, but it does show that perception and reality are two different things. At regular speed these corners would look ultra sharp. So, is it illusion or reality that we are after when it comes to corners? The AMA rule book states that corners should be of a "tight radius." What one judge may deem a tight radius may not seem so to another. Some may say that we are all cornering with too much radius, while others may think that corners such as Orestes' are about the standard for a "tight" rule book corner. There is no way that I know of for a human to conclude what the actual corner radius is of a stunt model at speed.

For those who have given input on this subject on another thread here (ahem..), please go to the field and try to make a corner that is as tight as those performed on the video by Orestes and video it. Make it a one-to-one comparison by viewing your corner in slow motion. Then view yours as opposed to Orestes' in regular speed. If you can out-corner Orestes (Or Paul, or David, or Brett, or Howard, or Derek, or Chris [Cox or Rud]), then my hat is off to you.

Fortunately, the judges chosen for Nats duty go through a good bit of training and have their eyeballs well calibrated to just what the standard is for a "tight" corner before the competition begins.   

All of this being said, there is more to a corner than just the absolute minimum radius. The corner must also be smooth and have the proper entry and exits lines, and it must be free of "bobbles" or over-turn. I've seen some very tight corners flown in which the inertia of the rear of the model keeps the tail moving downward after the model has turned the corner. No matter how tight the corner is, that dropping of the tail past the track of the maneuver just looks bad, and I would score that maneuver down a bit because of it. That said, not every flier who turns ultra-tight corners has this problem. So, there must me some trim issues that need to be addressed to enable a model to corner very tightly and yet not have that "tail dip" at the end of the corner.

Again, my hat is off to anyone who can make tight, but smooth corners, and, yes, I do believe that this is what separates a good flier from a great flier. It's both the ability to fly such corners and also the technical know how to set up the plane to fly them properly.

Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:26:01 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 03:44:35 PM »
As one who tries to fly very tight corners as well I can really appreciate this video.  One very large item people should take away from this video is the level of trim Orestes has attained with this model in this flight. As Bob mentioned the plane is very "quiet" after the corner.  This is a must when completing what is considered hard corners in a pattern and have them benefit your score as opposed to a monster corner with issues afterward that actually take away from your ability to fly the rest of the maneuver with any consistency.     

My personal opinion is the corner should be as tight as possible yet "even" across the maneuver.  All 4 corners of a square should look the same.  I see it all the time where 3 are tight and 1 is soft.  Or vice versa. 

I recently watched a video of Igor at the 2012 worlds I swear it he was going to plant it straight in on the wing over then BAM out inverted and flat...looked awesome.

Hard Clean corners are impressive and should be a goal of any flyer who wants to move up, or stay at the top, and get scored well no matter who is judging and what scoring system they are using.  I know it is for me.

Addition: I went back and watched that video again.  Orestes is about 6' tall or so.  If you place mark your screen where the corner starts and where it ends its not much more than he is tall in relation.  7' radius would be a 14' diameter of a circle.  Looks like a DAMN TIGHT ASS CORNER TOO ME!!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »
Derek,
Yeah, thanks for posting the slo mo video, it certainly sells the idea that there is no such thing as a 5 ft radius corner.  However the issue is that at most local type contests it seems (to me at least) that a lot of judges and pilots have, now realizing that, changed their motivation to try to fly very tight corners.

The issue is not whether the top few US fliers have done so but whether or not the rest of the "crowd" thinks it's necessary.  I and obviously the International judges think it is necessary to convince the people who are now representing the US in international competition that it is.

It was stated that two of the "new" people on the Team did not fly tight corners which is why the did not do as well as expected. 

Personally I believe that to be true.  I know that both of those Gentlemen are much better fliers than their scores reflected.  Paul Walker said (in the post) that "they didn't have a chance because they don't fly tight corners."  I'm very sure he knows what he is talking about!

I have heard many good expert fliers and judges of late make comments that indicate they prefer "smooth pretty maneuvers to" hard corners.  I believe that reflects a tendency that came out of the general (perhaps non-intentional relaxing) of the wording from 5 ft corners to simply tight corners.  In other words, "Tight" is subjective.     
5 ft is not.  Whether or not it can be achieved is not really the issue.  It's a real target at least...Tight is really technically not!

My comments are not meant to be critical only that it seems that our selection system obviously didn't properly prepare some of the representatives on the team.

I know those guys and know that they are not only excellent stunt fliers and Gentlemen, but are also " rabid" competitors.  I truly believe they are capable of flying "tight" corners but may have been lulled into believing it was not necessary in order to win.

I believe that we (the stunt community) should make an effort to establish some sort of "coaching community" of our own past national and many world stunt champions, to better familiarize new attendees with the finer points of International Competition, before we send them into the "Fray".  I know for a fact that a lot of our competitor nations (Not to mention the Chinese) have such organizations!

Such an organization should make an effort to establish funds that could insure that it would happen.  Once again if our own AMA was more interested in CL and competition, in general, instead of Drones, ARFS, and MONEY, it probably would already be a fact!  Unfortunately it appears that they really don't Care a whit!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 04:06:48 PM »
Randy, we already have such an organization, it's called PAMPA.

I think Rich and Joe knew exactly what they were getting into, and did everything possible to prepare. The name "World Championships" pretty much sums up what you should expect. There are many very talented pilots from all over the world.

There is something else to consider though, and I think it's what Paul was talking about. Where do you want to do well, and why? Personally, I want to win the Nat's, and that is why I focus on having the best flight possible, from takeoff to landing. If my objective was to win the world's I would concentrate on having the best triangle, square eight, and hourglass...

Derek

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 04:07:51 PM »

My comments are not meant to be critical only that it seems that our selection system obviously didn't properly prepare some of the representatives on the team.

Randy Cuberly

Hello Randy!  :)

Our selection system is not there to properly prepare the selected team members.  It is there only to select those who will represent the USA.

In the big picture your idea of a strategy team so to speak is a great one.  In reality it probably will never happen. 

I am really curious to see what Joe and Richard say about how they scored.  I know Richard was having problems with his setup, the specifics of I don't know. I do know is he a very good flier. I am not making excuses for him or Joe but I think it is very hard to say they didn't score well due to their corners when we haven't seen their flights...

Are their flights posted somewhere????
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »
I would mention one more thing.

The human eye and brain processes visual information at approximately 15 to 16 frames per second.  The length of 5 ft radius 90 degree arc at something around 60 mph would likely appear as an instantaneous change of direction to the observer.  Obviously even 6, 7, or perhaps 8 ft radius corners do so appear!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »
None of them are  doing  5 ft corners , The  5 ft corner looks like the plane just instantly tuned the other way
If you want to see  what a  5 ft corner  looks like,  pull up Keith Renecle's C/L simulator  and watch the  corners
or  fly your  stunt ship at 12 to 15 feet  above the ground  and  imagine  what would happen if you gave it  FULL down
The corner must be  Sharp and accurate  without  curves  S es  or  bobbles, hard and flat  is a good way to describe them,
The  PROBLEM  is  not  with the  Planes or pilots  it is  with the  Rule description, it  NEEDS to be  changed  to something  like 12 to 14 ft radius, or  whatever  the number  should be

and of course  the  120  degree corners  present even more  problems

Regards
Randy

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 04:21:23 PM »
Hello Randy!  :)

Our selection system is not there to properly prepare the selected team members.  It is there only to select those who will represent the USA.

In the big picture your idea of a strategy team so to speak is a great one.  In reality it probably will never happen. 

I am really curious to see what Joe and Richard say about how they scored.  I know Richard was having problems with his setup, the specifics of I don't know. I do know is he a very good flier. I am not making excuses for him or Joe but I think it is very hard to say they didn't score well due to their corners when we haven't seen their flights...

Are their flights posted somewhere????

Doug,

I would not begin to argue with anything you said.  In my post I was quoting The Master Paul Walker and will not apologize for believing what he says about what it takes to win!

I seriously doubt you would either.

I agree that it will be very difficult and expensive to establish such and organization as I mentioned.  I do believe however that it would be possible if the right people will get behind it.  It likely will not be anyone connected with the AMA.

It would have to be someone in the Stunt Community with the resources and connections to put the organization together.  There are such folks in the Stunt Community and they know who they are.  However it's a big challenge and I would not blame them for remaining silent!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:34:57 PM »
The topic of corners has been around for several years.  Over time, I have read forum posts and conversed with other fliers about corners (perceived and actual).    A few years ago someone performed a still frame analysis of a pattern ship doing a “tight” corner.  This was back when the AMA rule book dictated a 5 foot radius for a proper corner and there was a lot of discussion concerning the physical impossibility of performing a turn of that radius.  The video analysis determined that the radius of a very tight turn, that is the path that the CG traversed, was closer to 15 feet in radius.  It is the attitude of the airplane as it follows the path of the turn that gives the illusion that the turn is tighter.  As a result of previous discussions, the AMA rule book description of the maneuver was changed to “corners should be of a ‘tight radius’” instead of requiring an unobtainable 5 foot radius.  I don’t know what the current FAI description of a proper corner is, but if it is anything less than 4 to 5 meters (12 to 15 feet) it is unrealistic.

Regardless of how tight a corner actually is, the fuel for the current discussion is the difference between how the FAI judges score the maneuver and how AMA judges score the same maneuver.  The bottom line is that if we want our representatives to do well in the FAI competition, we need to adjust our scoring of all the maneuvers to reflect how the FAI judges want to see the maneuvers flown.  This will encourage our potential team flyers to focus on the aspects of the maneuvers that the FAI judges consider important.  Before someone jumps to the conclusion that I am recommending adopting the FAI scoring system with K factors, I am not.  I am simply suggesting we need to base our maneuver downgrades on the same criteria and magnitudes as the FAI judges are using.  Many years ago, when I was “fighting” the RC Pattern wars, we had the same issue.  The US flyers weren’t scoring well against the European flyers.  Ultimately, we adopted the FAI judges guide and scoring system for the contests here in the US.  Our results improved as a consequence.  It’s the same old adage we have been using in our contests, you have to give the judges what they want to see in order to get good scores.

Joe

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 04:36:50 PM »
Doug,

I would not begin to argue with anything you said.  In my post I was quoting The Master Paul Walker and will not apologize for believing what he says about what it takes to win!

I seriously doubt you would either.

I agree that it will be very difficult and expensive to establish such and organization as I mentioned.  I do believe however that it would be possible if the right people will get behind it.  It likely will not be anyone connected with the AMA.

It would have to be someone in the Stunt Community with the resources and connections to put the organization together.  There are such folks in the Stunt Community and they know who they are.  However it's a big challenge and I would not blame them for remaining silent!

Randy Cuberly

I couldn’t agree more with this post..
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 04:38:28 PM »
Just for grins in case anyone missed it, here is the actual quote from Mr. Walker in yesterday's post regarding corners and the results of the Worlds Competition!

"Since you are into opinions, here is mine:

Joe and Richard never had a chance. They fly a USA type pattern that no longer scores there. They don't have adequate corners.

Somehow the now accepted USA type scoring pattern does not reward tighter corners  even though the rules specify tight corners. This is not helping our F2B team compete.

Look at the US results. Orestes has the tightest corners of the US group, and he was the highest placing US pilot. Chris was the next tightest, and the next highest placing pilot.  And so on..
 If the US does not start getting on board with tight corners, get used to these results."

Quoted from Paul Walker yesterday!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 05:00:33 PM »
Good points, gentlemen.  One thing we could do is to train our team trials judges to emphasize that which scores at worldly contests.  We could encourage people-- American or otherwise-- with worldly experience to judge at our team trials.  We are doing a pretty good job of that now.  Mark Overmier, who judged at the last two world champs, and Keith Trostle, who was 2014 and 2018 assistant team manager, judged at the last team trials.  Dave Fitzgerald was signed up to judge, but had flames licking at his house and had to drop out. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »
Derek,
Yeah, thanks for posting the slo mo video, it certainly selsl the idea that there is no such thing as a 5 ft radius corner.  However the issue is that at most local type contests it seems (to me at least) that a lot of judges and pilots have, now realizing that, changed their motivation to try to fly very tight corners.

The issue is not whether the top few US fliers have done so but whether or not the rest of the "crowd" thinks it's necessary.  I and obviously the International judges think it is necessary to convince the people who are now representing the US in international competition that it is.

It was stated that two of the "new" people on the Team did not fly tight corners which is why the did not do as well as expected. 

Personally I believe that to be true.  I know that both of those Gentlemen are much better fliers than their scores reflected.  Paul Walker said (in the post) that "they didn't have a chance because they don't fly tight corners."  I'm very sure he knows what he is talking about!

I have heard many good expert fliers and judges of late make comments that indicate they prefer "smooth pretty maneuvers to" hard corners.  I believe that reflects a tendency that came out of the general (perhaps non-intentional relaxing) of the wording from 5 ft corners to simply tight corners.  In other words, "Tight" is subjective.     
5 ft is not.  Whether or not it can be achieved is not really the issue.  It's a real target at least...Tight is really technically not!

I know those guys and know that they are not only excellent stunt fliers and Gentlemen, but are also " rabid" competitors.  I truly believe they are capable of flying "tight" corners but may have been lulled into believing it was not necessary in order to win.

I believe that we (the stunt community) should make an effort to establish some sort of "coaching community" of our own past national and many world stunt champions, to better familiarize new attendees with the finer points of International Competition, before we send them into the "Fray".  I know for a fact that a lot of our competitor nations (Not to mention the Chinese) have such organizations!

Such an organization should make an effort to establish funds that could insure that it would happen.  Once again if our own AMA was more interested in CL and competition, in general, instead of Drones, ARFS, and MONEY, it probably would already be a fact!  Unfortunately it appears that they really don't Care a whit!

Randy Cuberly

Randy:

I am really sorry I started this in the wrong thread but it needs to be debated.  The problem we seem to have is that we are talking past each other.  I have known since I was 15 years old that a 5' corner was extremely difficult but not impossible.  I have done them but not with anything built in the last 40 years.  They simply are not practical.  You loose so much energy that the rest of the maneuver looks like cr**.  Doug's post pretty much sums up how I feel about it and I to plotted Orestes first corner, which should be the softest, and also came out at about 7'.  You will also notice that as the plane bleeds energy the corners get a bit tighter and you can see it kicking the tail.  What grabbed me about that video was the long straight flats.  You need tight corners and smooth transitions to do that.

We have two issues here.  One is how tight should they be and the second is how do we judge them which is Randy's first point.  You simply cannot have subjective standards and objective judging.  IMHO the standard should be the tightest realistic corner.  It gives judges the guidance that is now lacking. I am going to guess that that will fall somewhere around 7'.  It would be useful to ask Igor if he knows how tight, excuse me, sharp his corners are.  I have also watched them in slow motion and....DAMN.

As to Randy's second point, I really agree.  We simply do not give our teams the resources they need.  It is a tribute to them that they do as well as they do.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 05:30:00 PM »

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 05:32:07 PM »

Disclaimer: this video is 2 years old and with a different plane than he used in France.

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 05:33:14 PM »
.... you aren't gong to like this but .... as Joe said above "we adopted the FAI judges guide and scoring system for the contests here in the US.  Our results improved as a consequence."

The "K factor system" really gets some riled up, but when a square eight has a factor of 18 ..... maybe you should practice the square eight more than a set of rounds.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 05:42:00 PM »
maybe you should practice the square eight more than a set of rounds.

And build an airplane and control system that makes nice corners. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »
snip

and of course  the  120  degree corners  present even more  problems

Regards
Randy

Actually, Randy, the radius required (whatever it might be) is no different for 120 degree corners than for 90s!

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 06:14:35 PM »
In 1963 I built a ship that would do a 5' corner and every thing that everybody says about that tight of a corner is true.  It actually looks funny, it is nearly impossible to not stall and you loose so much momentum that without a really strong 4-2 you were about to land - tail first.  So why do it?  Because that was what the rule book called for and at 16 you are just stupid enough to try it.    Now it calls for "tight".  Is that 7', 14' or having a beer before you fly and at 71 I am just stupid enough to question it.

If we are going to compare video we should be getting it from the  F2B patterns from the fliers that are beating us.  I doubt many are turning under 6.8' but we should be debating based on what they do and setting our standards accordingly.  We can keep it "tight" but do what the FAI does and define "tight" like they do "sharp".

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 08:00:27 PM »
.... you aren't gong to like this but .... as Joe said above "we adopted the FAI judges guide and scoring system for the contests here in the US.  Our results improved as a consequence."

The "K factor system" really gets some riled up, but when a square eight has a factor of 18 ..... maybe you should practice the square eight more than a set of rounds.

Which, of course, brings up once again...

Why do international stunt competitions employ a K factor...a device intended in diving to somehow leaven the difference between one diver doing an easier dive versus one doing a more difficult dive and attempting to compare them mathematically...in an event where everyone does all 15 of the same dives every time they get on the platform, each of which is judged by the same scale by the same judges?

The use of a K-factor has no place in an event where everyone does the same tricks for individual examination every time they don their Speedos.  Yet we continue to do it and have these inane discussions over and over.

Ted

p.s. I really don't know the answer to this question.  Are diving and FAI F2B the only competitive events that utilize the K-factor?

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 08:30:05 PM »
Of course I have some opinions here.

I learned clearly in 1990 that it is not how tight your corner is, but the illusion of that. In 1990, VCR's were available and good enough to record stunt flights. That happened at the 1990 Nat's. I thought I had a tight corner, but judges and orher pilots told me that Jimmy did. I was puzzled.
Once home with a  copy of those flights I played them over and over tracing the path of both Jimmy's and my plane. It wasn't even close!!!

My plane turned a much tighter radius, BUT Jimmy's looked tighter due to its paint scheme and speed. It flew faster and that made it look tighter also. I have never forgotten that demonstration and used it to fashion my corner presentation. I further worked on the stop of the corner to be as abrupt as the start. That also adds to the illusion.
Does it do a 5 foot radius, not a chance, but neither does anyone else.
Brett submitted a rule proposal to change from 5 foot requirement to "tight".  I don't believe that has and impact on where we are now. I think people found out the judges here will score them well even without a tight corner. If that is the case, why bother doing tight corners. It is certainly easier to trim a plane that way, and easier to fly.

We can argue for weeks about what radius they CAN do, or the "merits" of the K factor, but that will change NOTHING.

The problem is that in international competition NOW, tight corners score. PERIOD.  As has been pointed out, if you can't do tight corners on all the high K maneuvers, you will not score well.

How do we fix this??

I think the only way is for US judges to start recognizing tighter corners and scoring them accordingly. Yes, one has to decide how to judge a perfectly square loop with soft corners versus the same shape but with tighter corners, and then of course a perfect geometry with tight corners but with a slight hop on one corner.

If this paradigm shift doesn't happen, how will we ever get pilots to fly tight corners and expect to compete at the worlds.

We have a few youngsters coming up that still have time to train themselves to do tighter corners. Again, if their tighter corners are not rewarded (as the rules dictate) then they will never develop the muscles and reflexes for future use.

So, if I am all wet, where am I wrong on this?

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »
Actually, Randy, the radius required (whatever it might be) is no different for 120 degree corners than for 90s!

Hi Ted
I was not saying the radius is tighter, what I see is other problems, such as the pilot starting the bottom corner of the triangle and hourglass  higher up, like 25 to 30 ft altitude to make sure they can get that bottom..very soft corner, not all do this but many do, and the 120 degree corner  many pilots have MAJOR troubles  doing  ALL the corners  the same. and another is   over turning the first corner...etc 

Randy

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »

Why do international stunt competitions employ a K factor...a device intended in diving to somehow leaven the difference between one diver doing an easier dive versus one doing a more difficult dive and attempting to compare them mathematically...in an event where everyone does all 15 of the same dives every time they get on the platform, each of which is judged by the same scale by the same judges?

The use of a K-factor has no place in an event where everyone does the same tricks for individual examination every time they don their Speedos.  Yet we continue to do it and have these inane discussions over and over.

Ted

p.s. I really don't know the answer to this question.  Are diving and FAI F2B the only competitive events that utilize the K-factor?
There are others - Ice Skating is one I am unfortunately very familiar with and I think most of the snowboarding events use them but your point is well taken.  They all allow the competitor to select the difficulty they want to tackle.  I am against the K-factor for another reason.  If we dump that much math on these wonderful volunteers that make our local contests so much fun they might stop bringing those delicious cookies!  With that I surrender.  I need to balance some props so I can go out in the morning and fly some "tight" corners.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 08:50:58 PM »

Ted

Well, as I am sure you are very aware and familiar with, they aren't using the K factor to normalize one pilot to another pilot doing different routines.  They are normalizing maneuver to maneuver across the pattern itself.   

We can score well on take off and make up for a missed square eight bottom or use a really great inverted flight to make up for a tiny bounce on landing.  I have done these very things.  I love a really well executed take off.  Both when I am flying and when I am judging.  It can really set the tone for the flight from either side of the coin.  When I get the ascent just right with that little "kick" at level flight it just feels cool. I feel we have way more opportunity to shine using the AMA scoring as opposed to FAI scoring where you better bust the crap out of the triangles or its curtains. 

But me you and everyone else knows they will never remove it.  It's part of their game and I think they like it that way.  More power to them. 

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 09:06:38 PM »
The topic of corners has been around for several years.  Over time, I have read forum posts and conversed with other fliers about corners (perceived and actual).    A few years ago someone performed a still frame analysis of a pattern ship doing a “tight” corner.  This was back when the AMA rule book dictated a 5 foot radius for a proper corner and there was a lot of discussion concerning the physical impossibility of performing a turn of that radius.  The video analysis determined that the radius of a very tight turn, that is the path that the CG traversed, was closer to 15 feet in radius.  It is the attitude of the airplane as it follows the path of the turn that gives the illusion that the turn is tighter.  As a result of previous discussions, the AMA rule book description of the maneuver was changed to “corners should be of a ‘tight radius’” instead of requiring an unobtainable 5 foot radius.  I donÂ’t know what the current FAI description of a proper corner is, but if it is anything less than 4 to 5 meters (12 to 15 feet) it is unrealistic.

Regardless of how tight a corner actually is, the fuel for the current discussion is the difference between how the FAI judges score the maneuver and how AMA judges score the same maneuver.  The bottom line is that if we want our representatives to do well in the FAI competition, we need to adjust our scoring of all the maneuvers to reflect how the FAI judges want to see the maneuvers flown.  This will encourage our potential team flyers to focus on the aspects of the maneuvers that the FAI judges consider important.  Before someone jumps to the conclusion that I am recommending adopting the FAI scoring system with K factors, I am not.  I am simply suggesting we need to base our maneuver downgrades on the same criteria and magnitudes as the FAI judges are using.  Many years ago, when I was “fighting” the RC Pattern wars, we had the same issue.  The US flyers werenÂ’t scoring well against the European flyers.  Ultimately, we adopted the FAI judges guide and scoring system for the contests here in the US.  Our results improved as a consequence.  ItÂ’s the same old adage we have been using in our contests, you have to give the judges what they want to see in order to get good scores.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 09:16:53 PM »

I apologize for repeating quotes. An anomaly with this program.

The Internats is a different event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »

I learned clearly in 1990 that it is not how tight your corner is, but the illusion of that. In 1990, VCR's were available and good enough to record stunt flights. That happened at the 1990 Nat's. I thought I had a tight corner, but judges and orher pilots told me that Jimmy did. I was puzzled.
Once home with a  copy of those flights I played them over and over tracing the path of both Jimmy's and my plane. It wasn't even close!!!

My plane turned a much tighter radius, BUT Jimmy's looked tighter due to its paint scheme and speed. It flew faster and that made it look tighter also. I have never forgotten that demonstration and used it to fashion my corner presentation. I further worked on the stop of the corner to be as abrupt as the start. That also adds to the illusion.
Brett submitted a rule proposal to change from 5 foot requirement to "tight".  I don't believe that has and impact on where we are now. I think people found out the judges here will score them well even without a tight corner. If that is the case, why bother doing tight corners. It is certainly easier to trim a plane that way, and easier to fly.

We can argue for weeks about what radius they CAN do, or the "merits" of the K factor, but that will change NOTHING.

The problem is that in international competition NOW, tight corners score. PERIOD.  As has been pointed out, if you can't do tight corners on all the high K maneuvers, you will not score well.

How do we fix this??

I think the only way is for US judges to start recognizing tighter corners and scoring them accordingly. Yes, one has to decide how to judge a perfectly square loop with soft corners versus the same shape but with tighter corners, and then of course a perfect geometry with tight corners but with a slight hop on one corner.

If this paradigm shift doesn't happen, how will we ever get pilots to fly tight corners and expect to compete at the worlds.

We have a few youngsters coming up that still have time to train themselves to do tighter corners. Again, if their tighter corners are not rewarded (as the rules dictate) then they will never develop the muscles and reflexes for future use.

It's all about the stop!!!  Stopping the corner after it has begun is one of the most important elements of flying hard corners.  I have beat that into my head for years.  We build large tails on our planes so use them to STOP that corner clean with a flat exit giving the appearance nothing happened and the score will climb. I used to have really hard corners. As of late my skills are lacking due to life constraints on practice but from time to time and can still bang a few out here and there.  Brad Walker helped coach me for a while and he would call it the "non-event" corner. The plane is flying along it stops changes direction and goes again as if nothing happened.  That will give off that hard presentation.  I have seen it done with slow flying and fast flying.  Sometimes I see people hauling ass through the pattern and their corners looked rounded off.  Sometimes I see the slow flights and the plane is flopping around after the corner.  There is certainly a fine balance there getting the trim and speed just right for the flyer.

You are not wrong on any of what you said above as far as I can tell when it comes to your observations about needing more corner.  Quite the opposite you are pretty much spot on.  And I would also note that the top 5 from this past nats shows our judges still do reward hard corners. I have not seen Chris Cox fly his new plane so I have no experince there but I have seen plenty of Howard, Dave, yourself, and The One fly and ya'll (like that Texas word there?) all have very hard very clean non-event corners that score extremley well.  I judged in 2017 and it was a eye opener for sure to watch patterns all day then a Dave or Derek get on the circle and the corners made the maneuvers.  That leads me to my next point.   

Above you said
    "Yes, one has to decide how to judge a perfectly square loop with soft corners versus the same shape but with tighter corners"
This simply cannot be.  The square loops described here are not the same shape so they wont score the same.  The one with the tighter corners should always score higher as the manuever is actually more of a square because the legs will be longer making it more of a square.  At least it will appear that way and I would score it that way. Also if one were to look at the Walker trophy they would note there have been only two different names on it since 2012, yours and Davids.  You both fly hard corners.  You are rewarded for it. 

If one wants to crack into the top ranks here or the worlds they are going to have to have hard corners.  Orestes has hard corners, they have seen him fly and they know it and expect it and he scores with it.  Placed 5th. Chris R has hard fast corners.  First time out found himself in 7th place. I would say that's a damn nice showing for sure. He will be back and he will move up, I have no doubt about that.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
What has changed with FAI judging since Paul took the B-17 to the WC in 2001? Was it because of the B-17 that they started putting some emphasis on corner radius? If so, BRAVO to Paul! 

Having watched Paul and Howard cut blinding corners for close to two decades, I know that I usually can't see any radius, but in video, even at normal speed, it shows clearly. I was at first puzzled, but have come to accept the fact.

In the first video of Orestez' Sq8, the inside "squares" were short in the horizontal legs, and I would not have given great points for that. Much easier to see in real time than those blinding corners. There is also some "mush" on some of the corners, but not all. Interesting, but likely impossible to see in real time.  y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2018, 10:07:56 PM »
Regarding the competition that the USA faces in FAI style cornering,  Igor Burger sure has a consistently crisp presentation.  The reverse wing-over is tight, rounds look round, squares look square, maneuver sizes are appropriate, bottoms are solid and the intersections are good.  Looks like a clean, well flown pattern regardless of the name of the sanctioning organization that is officiating the event.  This seems like it would be a high scoring AMA pattern as well, no?

If you click on the little gear shaped icon, you can slow it down to 1/4 speed.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 12:22:00 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 10:22:02 PM »
.25 is too slow. .5 speed is perfect!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2018, 10:45:00 PM »

While we are giving out the secrets, I will give away the other part of your "discovery" - intentional or not. Of course, it's not exactly a secret, you have been demonstrating it for almost 30 years, and while I can't remember you actually directly discussing it, I have. The time it takes to go from "straight" to "turning" is approaching zero. This is where your "Impact" corner would look dramatically different from Orestes'. If anyone takes a look at the second time through the square 8 in the super-slo-mo above (which is EXCELLENT), after the airplane has slowed down and after he has to start repeating the track, you can see the airplane sliding rapidly to the outsides of the corners, almost looking as if (and perhaps really) being pulled out-side by the lift of the elevator (which hurts the turn). The radius decreases as the corner goes on, so the whole thing is in a "transient" condition.

What I see with my eye, and what I would expect to see with the Impact/40VF is that the turn radius is established very early and then just stays at that radius throughout. It's got to have some curl to the entrance, but it certainly looks like it takes almost no time to get going.

I also suspect that the turn would look "better" on the Discovery-Retro version, and that the "crank-up time" issue is probably a function of the airplane maintaining it's speed, or even accelerating as the corner starts. If it had a Retro and a 6" pitch prop, I would expect that as the airplane starts to maneuver, it would also slow down, keeping it from sliding too far out to the side as the turn starts. It might fly better on electric if they changed the flap/elevator ratio closer to 1:1. That aside notwithstanding...

This is one of the things that got our (David, Ted, and my) attention at the 1988 Golden State meet, and what we started out to try to design in and achieve in flying. When it works, it is *undeniable* that it appears more accurate than any previous approaches.  That, and the fact that a lot of other people weren't paying *any* attention or making all sorts of arguments to the contrary, is where the perceived "West Coast Bias" came from, as we learned the lesson by observation, and many still to this day haven't gotten it.

How do we fix this??

It depends on your opinion on what is "broken". I don't necessarily buy the premise that they have it "right" and we are doing it "wrong".

I think you are making some assumptions that I think are quite debatable (because I am going to debate them...). You appear to be assuming that the most important goal of stunt is to win the world championship, and that US judge's and flier's goal is to train themselves for competition in the WC. Also,  the implication is emphasis on corner radius is both the sole reason for success, and that this is something we are doing wrong that we should be looking to "fix".

I would dispute all of those points. The current apparent (note: apparent) emphasis on corner radius appears to me to be an overreaction to previous, different overemphasis on other standards, specifically 5 foot bottoms, in the era that you couldn't tell the difference between round 8s and square 8s. At the time, many people in the US argued that this was a distortion of the intent of the rules, which have "5 foot altitude" or some equivalent, and then 10,000 other words. For a while, it appeared that they read the first 3 words and ignored the rest. Well, after not inconsiderable lobbying and discussion, and some other factors I decline to discuss in public, now the apparent (note again: apparent) approach is to look at the "5 foot radius" and not really considering the other aspects.

So, it could be argued that the emphasis has shifted from one narrow view to a different, equally narrow view, both of which are mistakes/not really the intent of the rules.

Note that while it is perfectly clear that the emphasis has shifted and you are certainly well-capable of evaluating what it takes to win stunt contests, in the problem at hand, I would contend that there were quite obviously other factors involved. I will decline to discuss them here, for exactly the same reason from the other thread. I think we even discussed it at the NWR this year. But, for sake of argument, let's grant the premise that the way to win "world" contests is to turn tighter. 

That doesn't mean that they have it "more correct" than we do, and that we should "fix" US stunt to do it their way. Even if it *is* the way to be successful at the WC, that doesn't mean the emphasis here should change, if we happen to think we/US are doing it more correctly, with a balanced weighting of all the aspects, instead of homing in and providing emphasis on just one aspect. I think the US Nationals judging corp has been very consistent over several decades in weighting the various factors appropriately. 

I removed the 5 foot radius words to attempt to reflect this approach - not to "reduce emphasis" but to reflect the recognition that it is physically impossible for any airplane with conventional aerodynamics. And, additionally, to remove the tendency of a few to home in on what appears to be an engineering requirement and forgetting about the rest of it. Which, interestingly, is also the premise I dispute in the current FAI emphasis.

Turning tighter still gets you better scores in the US, too. It's just that it's not the sole determining factor.

I do not think that we should try to "fix" something in US stunt that we have absolutely no agreement is broken, just to follow the current FAI trend.  Nor do I consider US competition as a "AAA Baseball" training league for the WC. I think success in US stunt is at least as legitimate a goal as success in "world" stunt. Now, of course, that might be considered self-serving considering my US success compared to my non-existent "world" success, and I am willing to grant you, Bobby, Billy, David, and Orestes' different perspective, but I bet there are plenty of other people with have *neither* experience that feel the way I do.

Igor is not exactly a spring chicken, and he managed to tighten up drastically since the 2004 NATs when I first met him, so people who want to do it generally have a lot of time to prepare. Turning tighter (without losing everything else) will still help them in the USA. It counts for a lot, here, too - just not everything. Which is what I think it should be.

It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's entirely a matter of opinion where the emphasis should lie. 

Brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2018, 11:27:42 PM »
Should we then just face the reality that we are going to settle for continued lower placings of our entries in the WC.  And the absence of any chance for the team championship trophy to show the world that we believe our way to be the best?

While I don't compete at these levels that attitude somehow rankles my senses.

I believe the Europeans think they have rigged the game to make it more difficult for the Americans because they compete at home on a different playing field.  What happens then when we simply continue to lose.  Will they continue to change the game to make it even more difficult for the silly Americans that refuse to play by the WC rules..

Good luck with convincing truly competitive souls to spend any time endeavoring towards that attitude!   HB~> HB~>

Sounds a little like "Let's just take our marbles and go home".    Maybe I'm too old to care anymore!  Sport flying sounds more and more attractive.   LL~ LL~

Sorry Brett, but while I truly respect your intellect and your modeling abilities, I'm at odds to understand this attitude!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 11:54:34 PM »
Should we then just face the reality that we are going to settle for continued lower placings of our entries in the WC.  And the absence of any chance for the team championship trophy to show the world that we believe our way to be the best?

Rephrasing, should we break a system we think is correct so a few people can finish better in one contest every two years?  After a single contest didn't turn out the way we wanted (and where other significant factors were also present)? A single contest that a lot of people don't care about too much?

We didn't start giving 40's to bloop-soft maneuvers that happened to wind up at 5 feet just because that what appeared to scoring back in the 80's and 90's - because we thought it was the wrong thing to reward.

There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from approaching stunt however they want. I think we ought to at least agree that there is a problem, what it is, agree on what the solution should be, and what the side effects would be, before we just change it for everyone.

Brett

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 05:14:54 AM »
   Rephrasing, should we break a system we think is correct so a few people can finish better in one contest every two years?  After a single contest didn't turn out the way we wanted (and where other significant factors were also present)? A single contest that a lot of people don't care about too much?

We didn't start giving 40's to bloop-soft maneuvers that happened to wind up at 5 feet just because that what appeared to scoring back in the 80's and 90's - because we thought it was the wrong thing to reward.

There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from approaching stunt however they want. I think we ought to at least agree that there is a problem, what it is, agree on what the solution should be, and what the side effects would be, before we just change it for everyone.

Brett

Again, I am in agreement with you. Our way (the American way) is far superior in every aspect and I will fight to the end to keep our traditions in place. I fully understand what Paul is saying, and if/when I decide to go to another world championships, I will practice accordingly. Who knows what "they" will be looking for by then?

I find it very frustrating, and a little infuriating that some people seem to think the US is done when it comes to world championships. We had a very "green" team this year, and considering everything they had to overcome, they did as good as can be expected. There are so many factors that go into placing well at a world's, many of which have nothing to do with the pattern and how it is flown. There are still politics involved, there are still "favorites", there are weather conditions that can be much different from 8am to 5pm, untested fuel witb no place to get new fuel, and on and on. You can never be too prepared when traveling thousands of miles from home to compete at a world championships. In 2010 I went through every prop I had, two engines, and a wing failure. I barely made the cut for qualifying and ended up 13th. At that time the emphasis was on 5' bottoms and nothing else. Shape, size, and corners appeared to be non factors to the judges...I remember watching the person that ended up winning that year, and thinking to myself, this guy wouldn't make the top 10 at our Nat's.

One thing we can do to help our team is to have our team trials as far from the world's as possible. This will give any future team time to prepare.

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 05:28:50 AM »
As an outsider looking in, these comments are more observation than fact - I'll get that out of the way first (oh and i'm a Brit and none of our guys featured so i'm hardly biased LOL!)

Someone mentioned the difference between FAI and AMA rule definitions of corners - FAI rule 4.2.15.4 very clearly states - all turns shall be between 1.5 - 2.1m (roughly 5' - 7') whilst AMA says 'tight'. One is clearly specific, the other subjective and open to interpretation and so if you wish to 'play by the rules' you must fly tighter?

It occurs to me that plane design over the years has / is contributing to the problem in that a smaller plane will turn tighter - simple physics, and (this is MY opinion) a flap equipped plane cannot turn as sharply as one with just elevator control. The latter control gives a snappy response, forcing the plane to rotate about its CG but with flaps you are 'softening'  the elev. response by moving the CG whilst turning so making the resultant turn smooth but likely to be more 'open'. Look at combat planes, they don't need flaps to turn tight - it would be interesting to see, if you could slow a combat wing down enough, how the full schedule would look / be scored - probably be done in 2 minutes tops?  LL~

One other thing is a strong American tradition of having 'World Finals' or 'World Championships' in sports very popular predominantly only the USA and run under US rules. International teams do enter and do run under the US rules - they prepare accordingly.  I can understand that the great majority of stunt flyers have no world aspirations but surely if beginners start flying 'soft' patterns and progress through intermediate and to expert, still flying 'soft, open' flying patterns, flying wide but smooth turns, won't generate future flying 'professionals' who can compete at world level standard - to internationally agreed standards? It is almost equal to competing in a World / Olympic 100m race but all training has been completed over 100 yards!

I'll expect a flaming for some of these thoughts but compared to some of the xenophobic suggestions elsewhere, I don't think they are too outrageous / outlandish?

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2018, 09:40:19 AM »
"One thing we can do to help our team is to have our team trials as far from the world's as possible. This will give any future team time to prepare."

Why not take the top five from the Nats as the team plus alternates?  .......  I'll stand back and take cover

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »
"One thing we can do to help our team is to have our team trials as far from the world's as possible. This will give any future team time to prepare."

Why not take the top five from the Nats as the team plus alternates?  .......  I'll stand back and take cover

If you want to pick a team using AMA scoring and rules instead of FAI scoring and rules, sure.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2018, 10:02:30 AM »

The  AMA Mandates that the scoring system and format to pick our team, is similar to the  WORLDs  and  FAI  scoring be used,  SO  you would  need  another set of judges, and  TIME  to run  another contest at the  NATs, there are other reasons, but that one is very hard to do with the  time constants of the  NATs month

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »
Again, I am in agreement with you. Our way (the American way) is far superior in every aspect and I will fight to the end to keep our traditions in place. I fully understand what Paul is saying, and if/when I decide to go to another world championships, I will practice accordingly. Who knows what "they" will be looking for by then?

Of course, I am not disputing the observation at all. There is no one, anywhere at any time, more capable of determining how to get good scores in a stunt contest than Paul Walker. I am sure he has captured at least one element of the situation and maybe the only one that we have any control over. The key is how we go about controlling it.

I am very troubled with the apparent solution and the reasoning behind it. We, *the pilots*, are going to instruct, direct, or otherwise encourage *the judges* to alter their standards  - which we have largely been happy to thrilled with for many years - to fit our perceived notion of what will score well elsewhere? All in order to use our competition as a training series?

As soon as you get the notion in your head that it is the role of the pilots to explicitly lobby the judges for a particular type of result, it is a *very short step* from that to directly lobbying for individual results, or using "post-contest analysis" to sanction the judges for not getting the desired result.

I am pretty sure that everybody knows how that works, unfortunately.

The pilots have two fail-safe and workable ways to influence the judges. One is rule changes. If someone wants to change the rules back to show 5 foot radius, or 1 foot radius, or negative 50 foot radius (because we really really care about corners), then go right ahead. It won't change diddly-squat in practice, but if it doesn't matter either way, it can be put to anything you want with no effect.

I would point out that the "5 foot radius" specification permits the concept that a corner can be "too tight", whereas the "tight as possible" rule (which, by the way, is UNCHANGED from the previous version) does not, it means "tighter is better" down to 0. But if that is not clear or a sticking point, fine with me. It's all moot, because the best anybody anywhere has ever done in a competitive setting is more like 10-11, including all World Champions. Note Paul's comment above - the judges are eyeballing it in 200 milliseconds from 150 feet away, for hours at a time, it just has to look tight. Hence the rule...

The other safe way to influence the judges is by demonstration. Again, the most sterling example of this since I have been doing it is again Paul, who was really the first person to take full advantage of the piped engine performance increase. As noted above, it hit us in the face, and it also hit the judges in the face, "Oh, I get it, THATs what the rules meant". In fact I may have said that to Ted at the 88 Golden State contest after the first practice flight we watched. It had similar effect on the judges, and the days of flat-bottom rounds, 60 degrees high,  "polished rock" smooth but swoopy corners was dead forever. It was so obviously more correct that you couldn't see it any other way any more.

In fact, it seemed the judges were paying better attention than the pilots because a lot of pilots sputtered and argued, and a huge fraction of the current participants still haven't grasped the implications. Since that point on, all I have seen is that the closer someone comes to making it look like the drawings in the rule book, the better their results. Which seems to be an ideal condition.

This is particularly relevant to the point, because at least partially as the result of this situation, people *did* start trying to directly lobby or coerce the judges into particular results, and attempted to "sanction" them for results that they didn't agree with. Of course the tactics involved were disgraceful, so even if they had a point about the scoring, that was lost in the litany of insane attempts to "fix" it.

I had and still have pretty serious objections to that  - not based on who was doing it, but that anyone was doing it at all. The fact that this time, it might take a less egregious form, or happens to be a genuine attempt to correct a perceived problem, doesn't really address the objection.

I guarantee this discussion is not going unnoticed in the judging corp, and that I think it is perfectly reasonable for the judges to examine their techniques and standards in order to more faithfully execute their function as defined by the rule book. I would hope they would do that without prompting after every flying session, it's an essential part of the craft.

But I am also a firm believer in "it's the judges job to judge, and the pilot's job to fly", and I am very uncomfortable stepping across the line into telling them what to emphasize or not, particularly when we are attempting to chase a potentially moving target.  All in an attempt to resolve one aspect of a much larger issue that definitely only affects a few people on infrequent occasions.

Brett

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »
If you want to pick a team using AMA scoring and rules instead of FAI scoring and rules, sure.

It doesn't matter. The three best pilots will still win the top 3 spots.

Derek

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2018, 10:19:46 AM »
snip

It occurs to me that plane design over the years has / is contributing to the problem in that a smaller plane will turn tighter - simple physics, and (this is MY opinion) a flap equipped plane cannot turn as sharply as one with just elevator control. The latter control gives a snappy response, forcing the plane to rotate about its CG but with flaps you are 'softening'  the elev. response by moving the CG whilst turning so making the resultant turn smooth but likely to be more 'open'. Look at combat planes, they don't need flaps to turn tight - it would be interesting to see, if you could slow a combat wing down enough, how the full schedule would look / be scored - probably be done in 2 minutes tops?  LL~

snip

I'm a little confused.  How is it that deflecting the flaps "...mov[es] the CG..." while turning?  Granted flaps rotate up and down about their hinges but their location relative to the Center of Gravity barely budges when they do so.  What am I missing there?

Ted

p.s. Attachment merely FYI if Katana is interested in another point of view regarding the various affects of flaps on turn rates...among other performance affecting/enhancing factors.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
It occurs to me that plane design over the years has / is contributing to the problem in that a smaller plane will turn tighter - simple physics,

It is? Could you maybe show these "simple physics" proving this point?  Because when I examine the most daunting limitation, the absolute dimensions of the airplane do not appear.

Brett

p.s. anticipating the next step...

m = mass of airplane (slugs)
v = velocity (airspeed, feet/second)
r = turn radius (feet)
Cl = coefficient of lift (no dimensions)
a = wing area (square feet)
p=rho=density of air (0.00233 slugs/cu ft)

F = mv2/r (force required for radius r)
Lift = 1/2Claρv2 (force available)

when turning the lift will equal the force required to bend the flight path, so equate the two*1
mv2/r=1/2Claρv2

v2 cancels out
m/r=1/2Claρ

divide through by a, define m/a = wing loading Ws(slugs/square foot) *2
Ws/r=1/2Clρ

multiply through by 2
2Ws/r=Clρ

multiply through by r
2Ws=Clρr

divide through by Clρ
2Ws/ Clρ =r

Figure 12 oz/square foot, or 0.02331 slugs/square foot=Ws, air density p - 0.00233 slugs/cubic foot, Cl = 1.4, r = 7 feet. A more realistic set of values is 13 ounces/square foot, and a max Cl of about 1.2, so more like 9 feet. In practice, this is never achieved, because the other issues impede it, particularly the max Cl and how long it takes to rotate to the necessary angle of attack. Measured values have been in the 12-13 foot range for many years, the primary improvements have been in improving the rate of change of Cl.

So, the wing loading, the coefficient of lift, and the air density set the minimum possible turn radius, and it has (to first approximation) no relationship to the absolute dimensions. There are a couple of caveats to that, of course. Other items prevent you from reaching the maximum coefficient of lift, some easily visible in Derek's excellent movie.

Wild Bill did the same derivation about 60 years go. This, whether everyone realizes it or not, is what drove people to build large, light airplanes with giant flaps.  This helps the effect derived above, but tends to make some of the other effects much worse.

This is where one of the caveats comes in, investigation left to the reader
*2 This is where another caveat comes in, investigation left to the reader
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:08:34 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
   Of course, I am not disputing the observation at all. There is no one, anywhere at any time, more capable of determining how to get good scores in a stunt contest than Paul Walker. I am sure he has captured at least one element of the situation and maybe the only one that we have any control over. The key is how we go about controlling it.

I am very troubled with the apparent solution and the reasoning behind it. We, *the pilots*, are going to instruct, direct, or otherwise encourage *the judges* to alter their standards  - which we have largely been happy to thrilled with for many years - to fit our perceived notion of what will score well elsewhere? All in order to use our competition as a training series?

As soon as you get the notion in your head that it is the role of the pilots to explicitly lobby the judges for a particular type of result, it is a *very short step* from that to directly lobbying for individual results, or using "post-contest analysis" to sanction the judges for not getting the desired result.

I am pretty sure that everybody knows how that works, unfortunately.

The pilots have two fail-safe and workable ways to influence the judges. One is rule changes. If someone wants to change the rules back to show 5 foot radius, or 1 foot radius, or negative 50 foot radius (because we really really care about corners), then go right ahead. It won't change diddly-squat in practice, but if it doesn't matter either way, it can be put to anything you want with no effect.

I would point out that the "5 foot radius" specification permits the concept that a corner can be "too tight", whereas the "tight as possible" rule (which, by the way, is UNCHANGED from the previous version) does not, it means "tighter is better" down to 0. But if that is not clear or a sticking point, fine with me. It's all moot, because the best anybody anywhere has ever done in a competitive setting is more like 10-11, including all World Champions. Note Paul's comment above - the judges are eyeballing it in 200 milliseconds from 150 feet away, for hours at a time, it just has to look tight. Hence the rule...

The other safe way to influence the judges is by demonstration. Again, the most sterling example of this since I have been doing it is again Paul, who was really the first person to take full advantage of the piped engine performance increase. As noted above, it hit us in the face, and it also hit the judges in the face, "Oh, I get it, THATs what the rules meant". In fact I may have said that to Ted at the 88 Golden State contest after the first practice flight we watched. It had similar effect on the judges, and the days of flat-bottom rounds, 60 degrees high,  "polished rock" smooth but swoopy corners was dead forever. It was so obviously more correct that you couldn't see it any other way any more.

In fact, it seemed the judges were paying better attention than the pilots because a lot of pilots sputtered and argued, and a huge fraction of the current participants still haven't grasped the implications. Since that point on, all I have seen is that the closer someone comes to making it look like the drawings in the rule book, the better their results. Which seems to be an ideal condition.

This is particularly relevant to the point, because at least partially as the result of this situation, people *did* start trying to directly lobby or coerce the judges into particular results, and attempted to "sanction" them for results that they didn't agree with. Of course the tactics involved were disgraceful, so even if they had a point about the scoring, that was lost in the litany of insane attempts to "fix" it.

I had and still have pretty serious objections to that  - not based on who was doing it, but that anyone was doing it at all. The fact that this time, it might take a less egregious form, or happens to be a genuine attempt to correct a perceived problem, doesn't really address the objection.

I guarantee this discussion is not going unnoticed in the judging corp, and that I think it is perfectly reasonable for the judges to examine their techniques and standards in order to more faithfully execute their function as defined by the rule book. I would hope they would do that without prompting after every flying session, it's an essential part of the craft.

But I am also a firm believer in "it's the judges job to judge, and the pilot's job to fly", and I am very uncomfortable stepping across the line into telling them what to emphasize or not, particularly when we are attempting to chase a potentially moving target.  All in an attempt to resolve one aspect of a much larger issue that definitely only affects a few people on infrequent occasions.

Brett

Just to clarify; yes I agree that Paul changed the way we fly stunt today. I first met him in 1990 and all I ever did was try to replicate his patterns.

I am in no way criticizing judges, here or anywhere else.

Not going to get into the wars from the past. While I agree with a lot you have to say on the matter, I have some of my own opinions...

As far as future teams go, it is going to have to do with who the best pilots that are willing and able to go. We have been very fortunate for many years to have people like Paul, David, and most recently, Orestes who are all great pilots and able to spend the time, money, and effort to do it every 2 years. I would love to do it, but work and family obligations prevent me from doing everything I want to do.

Derek

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
   I can't add any technical expertise or advice, just some observation. It has been said that this corner thing is not a new issue and that is correct. Many articles through the years, some by Wild Bill Netzeband about the truth or myth of the 5 foot corner. I think he was the one to attempt to prove it out with lights on airplanes and time laps photography at night, not to mention his articles on the subject. The Humbug series of airplanes was in answer to that issue I believe. It will be addressed and in another 20 or 25 years it will come around on the carousel again, just like the youth problem, new blood in the hobby, places to fly and the always exciting B.O.M discussions. To me it's part of the history of what we do and I try to at least pay attention to the discussions.
   We are going through a changing of the guard at the top levels of the event and that isn't new either. This isn't the first "green" team (as some one put it) that has gone to the world champs and it will take a learning curve for the cream to rise to the top, just like it has before. It's just gonna take time and the US has been through dry spells before. Like the old saying goes, "You can't win 'em all." With the wealth of former world champs that are in our midst and the advantage of easy communication these days, lots of information can be transferred from the experienced to those who desire it and want to put forth the effort to put it to use. I think that this will happen, as it has before. I don't know who it will be, but all it will take is some commitment, focus and team work amongst those directly and indirectly involved. I congratulate the USA team that went and did the best they could. That is the first step and the only way to go is up. Any success they achieve from here on out will be that much sweeter, and I think that they are the part of the group that can do it. Who are the others?
 Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2018, 11:09:11 AM »
Just to clarify; yes I agree that Paul changed the way we fly stunt today. I first met him in 1990 and all I ever did was try to replicate his patterns.

I am in no way criticizing judges, here or anywhere else.

Not going to get into the wars from the past. While I agree with a lot you have to say on the matter, I have some of my own opinions...

And just to be clear, I am not accusing anyone of anything here and certainly not Paul, the team, or anybody. It's a case where people of good will can have a legitimate difference of opinion. I sure think we ought to work this one out to general satisfaction before acting, because once the line is crossed it's hard to go back.

In the interim, no one actually needs the judges to force them to do anything. People can improve their cornering on their own volition if they think it is to their advantage in the long run. I also think it will be a disaster for many, because while they are trying to hammer the corners they are going to make a lot of other mistakes - just like the legions of Captain Ahabs  before them - but we survived.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2018, 11:24:41 AM »
I can't believe I just sat here and read all this.  Do you think the top pilots of F2B just concentrate on the high factor maneuvers?  To win you have to be almost perfect from the start of the engine/motor to when the plane stops rolling.  I've seen and done it myself many times giving away points on even the so called simple maneuvers.   Placing 3 loops on top of each other with correct entry and exit is not so simple.  Also I think with the big [planes that are being flown on the length lines we are limited on would be impossible to do a 5 foot radius and make it smooth.  As with any event/sport the judges chosen to do the job do the best they know how.   In a perfect world it might be possible to get three judges to come to the same score on an individual.   We can't even get most judges to even be close on final scores for the pilot they are judging.   Each has his/her pinion of what a maneuver should score in their mind and eye.  I know in my case I have been told many times I am not smooth in my patterns.  So I fly/compete to help/support the club putting on the event. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »
Why not take the top five from the Nats as the team plus alternates?

I think this would be going in the wrong direction. You want to pick a team that will do best at the WC. That means rewarding airplanes and pilots that do good square eights and triangles, and do them in a given spot regardless of wind direction.  It also means enforcing the FAI noise rules. There should be no credit given for homemade or shiny airplanes.

I agree with Brett that we shouldn’t change our AMA contests in an attempt to pick better teams, but our team selection method should focus on picking a team that will do well at the WC. I think we are doing this well. Our 2016 team, for example, had won several team world championships and was made up of three individual world champions.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »
Dam software here. I typed out anoyher long response and it disappeared...gone...no trace. 

I will try to replicate.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here