• May 01, 2024, 08:38:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plans  (Read 7458 times)

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Plans
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2023, 12:02:49 PM »

Well. if you were to go search eBay, I'm sure out of 3500 listings you would be able to find something to buy! That is what they are there for!! If you can't find any plans to buy then you aren't trying very hard.

Forgive me for interpreting, but I think he is commenting/asking about how much money is there to be made on selling plans. My guess -  a pittance.

Brett

Offline Pacific Sun

• New Pilot
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2023, 12:51:58 PM »
Very interesting topic.
The problem for many of us (at least for me) is that we are surprised by the spectacular speed that the internet has brought to the access and exchange of information. How far away are those times when I bought an Enya from a store in Miami, on my first trip to the USA and all communications, payments, etc. were by fax!!! (write it, print it, send it, spend days to receive answer, etc etc)
For a long time I have participated in chat and forums of modeling, electronics, crafts, hobbies, etc and I have found a lot of information and good people to share it. So, in return and as a way to thank you, I have published a lot of original information of mine: tutorials, works, ideas, tricks, etc.
Surprisingly I have found some time later how those works made freely available to everyone were for sale compiled in a CD/DVD along with others that I already knew and also free access. Unbelievable. As we say in my country "you can't put gates to the field or fences to the sea".
I don't know if you know, I have started a topic in the forum about starting to build a Mustunt IV, and reading this topic raises several doubts in my mind.
The Mustunt IV plan is easy to find for free on the internet, so am I doing something illegal?
I want to make the laser cut parts, so the first thing to do is to digitize to CAD files the whole drawing. If it can not be reproduced, then redoing those parts is illegal?
The plan is to make an airplane for me, it has no commercial use, I am not going to sell airplanes, nor am I going to sell the CAD files with the parts, etc. so what I am doing is legal?
If I offer in a free and disinterested way, for the own promotion of our hobby, that CAD work already done, is this distribution illegal?
If I would like to build an airplane of which I can only find a free downloadable drawing, then I cannot and it is illegal to build that airplane?
etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
I absolutely agree with Mr.Hunt about his opinions, that is so, and I think what bothers him the most is that it is taken for granted that everything is free, since there is not or is complicated an economic compensation at least that there is a little respect for the creator of that intellectual property. On the other heand, I have purchased model plans that later turned out to be a copy of others.
That leads me to ask if I have done well in sharing with you my work about Mustunt IV. If it is not correct or if it bothers anyone please tell me and I will close the topic.
In my country and in general the situation in the CL world is as follows:
Less and less fans (and we are already old, there are very very few young people), less and less places to fly (problem of aeromodelling in general), there are no kits, there are no engines (only old models or competition), it starts to be difficult to find material and accessories, there is no balsa, Nitro is almost impossible to buy because the explosive legislation is now applied in short, etc, etc, the feeling is that this is dying little by little. I see it in my children: cell phones, internet and videogames have killed all the hobbies.
I tnink there is not an easy solution.
The creator must be rewarded for his work, copy or distribute it for free without his permission is to steal his intellectual property, but on the other hand it is impossible to get that at 100 and sincerely I think there are things that by their nature or after a time should be accessible universal and free. I don't know if modeling plans is one of them.
I sincerely believe that Mr. Rabe will be super proud when he sees another of his "children" flying and if you share my work from Mustunt IV pieces, get someone to be encouraged to build it, I will give my time and my effort to help promote well used to promote this hobby
Mr. Rabe, Mr. Hunt, etc etc etc. A million thanks for their ideas, their designs that remain in time (then build a Genesis, maybe?)

And I repeat, if my topic about the M IV is a mistake, please tell me and I will correct it right away.

Greetings to all,

Pacific Sun

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2023, 01:36:04 PM »

Well. if you were to go search eBay, I'm sure out of 3500 listings you would be able to find something to buy! That is what they are there for!! If you can't find any plans to buy then you aren't trying very hard.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

LL~

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2023, 01:41:31 PM »
Third time (first and third publicly, once via email/PM) I'm trying to respect Mr. Hunt's copyrights. But in order to respect them, I need to know which ones are his:

Mr. Hunt, may I ask for a list of your plans, published or not. I want to ensure I know which ones are yours before I make a mistake. This all I can do from my position. No harm intended whatsoever.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

Maybe there is a list of his plans in Joe Biden's garage next to his corvette. 

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2023, 06:38:18 PM »
    Forgive me for interpreting, but I think he is commenting/asking about how much money is there to be made on selling plans. My guess -  a pittance.

Brett

Well, I'm no marketing manager, but if they were not selling any to make it worth while, they would not be listed, no??  It's like used cars. If I have a lot full of them, and advertising them, I must be selling them. I have bought plans from some of the bigger or better eBay plans vendors, and mainly I am looking for original plans from the magazines to collect. Been doing that a long time, and if you watch it enough you can get them cheap. It's my guess that most do it as a hobby, not for a living, or more a labor of love to provide for those that appreciate them and want to preserve them. I would say that a high percentage of them are not anywhere near the scale of what the AMA plans service or Flying Models is, with a room full of master, a computer full of files, and big rolls of paper ready to go into the printing machine.. Most of them are selling plans second hand, picked up from estates and such, so in my mind, copyrights and such have no bearing on these sales. It has some bearing in perception. It's just second hand junk to most people, but people will try to sell anything to anybody to make something on it, even if it's just a buck!  However, enough of it goes on that the Democrats decided that they wanted in on the deal and instituted the $600 law!! Some one in congress perceives that there are a lot of ripe plumbs out there to pick but they have no perception of what it would take to actually realize that. So, is anyone "making money" at it??> Depends on how you perceive it!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2023, 12:25:53 AM »

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
I'm not questioning the fact that people have posted plans for sale.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2023, 06:54:23 AM »

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ Good one!

Jerry

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2023, 10:59:01 AM »

Best post yet. 

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2023, 11:58:47 AM »

Best post yet. 
So that is where the Chineese got all their ARF plans  LL~
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here