News:

• April 26, 2024, 08:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pearl Harbor 80th Anniversary  (Read 1049 times)

Offline John Gluth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
  • Knight 1992
Pearl Harbor 80th Anniversary
« on: December 07, 2021, 08:40:10 AM »
    I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.

– Isoroku Yamamoto, After Pearl Harbor, Japanese Admiral
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Pearl Harbor 80th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »
  In the world that we live in today, with all that we are exposed to and all the terrorism we see in the world, I still can't imagine what it must have been like that Sunday morning 80 years ago. I am still amazed at all the act of heroism and bravery that I have read and heard about by both military and civilians that day, reacting to such a horrible attack. We sure could use more of their kind today!
   Still remembering and never forgetting,
   Dan McEntee 
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline JackComer

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 09:24:45 AM »
Well Said Dan. I'm still remembering and not forgetting, too.

Jack Comer
Jack Comer
AMA 129715

Offline John Gluth

• Ensign
  • Knight 1992
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 09:34:37 AM »
Thank you Dan. I walk daily. I pick-up litter arrogantly tossed-out on the street then dispose of it. Remembering that good men died for the right even to disrespect our Freedom. Can think of several references like Saving Private Ryan, that wake up emotional patriotism. Will never forget.
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 09:56:05 AM »
80 years ago today, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor which launched the United States into WW2.  The men and women who fought for us were called the greatest generation with rightful cause as they saved the world from evil.  My dad was one of them and would have been part of the invasion of Japan if Truman had not dropped the bomb.

Only 2% of them remain alive today.  We all need to take a moment to reflect on the tremendous sacrifice they made to keep us free and then take a look at what is happening today in our country and do not let their sacrifices be in vain.

Mike

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 02:43:13 PM »
    I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.

– Isoroku Yamamoto, After Pearl Harbor, Japanese Admiral
I have family that knew him.  He was against the war from its earliest beginnings. He thought attacking the United States was a huge mistake, but he belonged to that class of Japanese royalty that would not defy the emperor.  We are very lucky that some of his Admirals did not have his skills.

It may sound ridiculous but many Japanese, especially the older ones, are thankful that Truman dropped the bomb and appreciate McArthur's wisdom.

I had a grandfather, father, stepfather, and two uncles in all theaters of the war.  All of them survived the war (physically) but are all gone now.  None of them would talk about it sober.

It is good to remember what can happen when our government becomes weak on foreign policy because it is happening again.

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 03:39:40 PM »
Dad went into the USAAC in 1935 and flew B-17's in Europe, B-25's in the So. Pacific and was in Army Intelligence in the Occupation. Two or three 2nd cousins and an uncle also served in uniform. Technically, my oldest 2nd cousin was not in uniform, but being 1st gen USA born and fluent in German, was said to have been a spy in Europe. He never said a word about that to me, but was a great guy and very good with mechanical stuff.

Praise God for the USA being first to invent the Atomic Bomb(s), and all those brave men and women who fought against evil. IMO, Dec. 7, as well as Aug. 6 & 9 should be noted on all modern calendars sold in the USA, whether printed here or not. Yeah, there ought to be a law...  R%%%% Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 08:00:43 PM »
Here is a picture of my Uncle George. Sitting down middle of picture. My Father kept this picture in his wallet all his life.
 I saved a copy of the picture. I sent the original picture to my cousin who never knew It existed.
 My Uncle George enlisted in the Marines. He lied about his age and was on Guadalcanal before his 18th birthday, where
this picture was taken. He was just north of 6'2. He survived the war. My father use to tell me about all the nightmares that he had. Screaming and yelling, calling out his buddies names. Waking up in a cold shivering sweat.
 The picture can be enlarged to be viewed better.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 08:57:36 PM »
On the 50th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack I was at the Planes of Fame Air Museum, they flew a P-40 Warhawk, SBD Dauntless and an Authentic A6M5 zero in formation over the Chino Airport. As they flew over everyone watching was silent with respect for the lives that were lost in 1941. I watched them fly over thinking how the world has changed and it would have been very different in 1941.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 06:03:18 AM »
My father Henry McClain, 1918 to 2009, enlisted immediately after in Pearl Harbor in the Army.  He left for Australia in early 1942 and spent 3 1/2 years in the South Pacific with General MacArthur and the island hopping campaign in New Zealand, New Guinea, New Caledonia, Biak Island, the Carolinas, and finished in Manila.  He would have been in the invasion of Japan if not for General Tibbets, the Enola Gay, and the Atomic Bomb. 

Here is a picture of him and his best army buddy Red Cox.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 05:23:27 PM by Tom McClain »
Tom McClain

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 05:26:36 PM »
We should never forget and teach our kids our true history.
Tom McClain

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »
I was 8 years old on Pearl Harbor Day.  Old enough to remember how people reacted.  I was too young to appreciate the seriousness of the situation.  Soon after, my mom worked at Douglas Aircraft, Long Beach, making the SBD dive bomber.  Dad became a welder in the San Pedro shipyards, building Liberty ships.  I collected tinfoil, newspapers, scrap iron, and tended our Victory Garden.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 03:16:08 PM »
My Dad was a survivor. He was doing his laundry on deck in a bucket when the first wave of attacking planes flew over. His ship,the USS Avocet, accounted for one plane shot down and then assisted in running the USS Nevada aground. I don't think he ever fully recovered from the horrors he saw that day.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 01:01:35 AM »

On December 4th, the Zephyr Hills (Florida) Museum of Military History had a special ceremony honoring my very close friend, Cecil F. Wigmore.
He joined the United States Army in 1940 with the proviso that, after basic training, he be stationed at a U.S. base in a foreign country, namely Hawaii.
A native of Muncie, Indiana, he shipped out in early 1941 and by way of the Panama Canal, arrived at the base in Pearl Harbor.
He became a Warrant Officer in the Quartermaster Corps and was there when it all happened. Needless to say, he doesn’t talk about it but he witnessed it all.
He is a lifetime member of the Honor Guard and an inactive member of the American Legion, the VFW and the Florida Non–Commissioned Officers Club.
Approaching 102 years old, he still lives alone, cooks and takes care of himself. He stopped driving around three years ago
The photo shows him and his daughter Harriet (my Lady!) when we celebrated his 99th birthday in Charleston, SC.
He is a true Patriot and I’m proud to have him as a friend.
Bob Z.

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 05:03:34 PM »

On December 4th, the Zephyr Hills (Florida) Museum of Military History had a special ceremony honoring my very close friend, Cecil F. Wigmore.
He joined the United States Army in 1940 with the proviso that, after basic training, he be stationed at a U.S. base in a foreign country, namely Hawaii.
A native of Muncie, Indiana, he shipped out in early 1941 and by way of the Panama Canal, arrived at the base in Pearl Harbor.
He became a Warrant Officer in the Quartermaster Corps and was there when it all happened. Needless to say, he doesn’t talk about it but he witnessed it all.
He is a lifetime member of the Honor Guard and an inactive member of the American Legion, the VFW and the Florida Non–Commissioned Officers Club.
Approaching 102 years old, he still lives alone, cooks and takes care of himself. He stopped driving around three years ago
The photo shows him and his daughter Harriet (my Lady!) when we celebrated his 99th birthday in Charleston, SC.
He is a true Patriot and I’m proud to have him as a friend.
Bob Z.

Bob,
  Thanks for the background info. on Cecil F. Wigmore.
I remember the pride, shown on Harriet's face, whenever you mentioned her "Dad" during the great lunch we shared here on Merritt Island, many months ago.
Take care, stay safe my friend!
Roger Vizioli
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here