News:

• May 08, 2024, 06:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spring bearings  (Read 593 times)

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Spring bearings
« on: December 11, 2021, 04:29:07 AM »
Some of the old Veco flap/elevator horns had spring bearings. How are they used?

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Spring bearings
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 06:41:49 AM »
I think they are the same as the brass tube bearings of today ...... just easier to get on or off after the bend in the wire is made.

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 09:10:54 AM »
Some of the old Veco flap/elevator horns had spring bearings. How are they used?

They must have been REALLY old....I've been doing this almost as long as Floyd and never knew this....good idea!

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 01:54:01 PM »
I had them on a few of my "PA" type ships in the late 60's that used them new fangled RC plastic hinges.  You used them pretty much like the clips.  Covered them with the cloth hinges that were also on most ships.  Ambriod and Epoxy stayed on the outer surface and you could get them stuck in place.  CA in the same zipcode would probably freeze them up.

A lot of planes, many of mine included, didn't attach the flap horn to the wing at all.  With cloth hinges, the flap was so close to the wing TE that you would have to actually recess the horn into the wing to get the axis to match the flap TE. Attaching the horn created a bind.  Instead we would firmly glue the horn to the flaps.  Common inclusion of removable flaps was still about 10 years out.  We had to invent adjustable leadouts and tip weight boxes first!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 02:45:41 PM »
Spring bearings?  Are we talking about the old-fashioned spring curtain wire?  We used to use that stuff for leadout guides because they were easier to glue into the wingtip, back in the days when we glued everything with balsa cement.
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here