News:

• May 13, 2024, 07:14:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OT, but cool anyhow...  (Read 726 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OT, but cool anyhow...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:21:14 AM »
The Avro Triplane tail is tilted with respect to the wings.  I wonder if that's an oversight or intentional?

Cool.  I can't wait for time to watch all of it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »
Great find. Yes, Old Warden (Home of the Shuttleworth Collection) is a truly magical place, located right in the middle of picture book English countryside. I was there 3 times last year for Control Line competitions (Looking forwards to this year as well). All the Hangars are open during none flying days so always plenty to ogle at during lunch. It's a shame examples such as Grosvenor House are now relegated to taxi runs only but understandable I guess given it's uniqueness. I would rate it as a must do for anyone visiting England from foreign shores.

TTFN
John.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »
The Avro Triplane tail is tilted with respect to the wings.  I wonder if that's an oversight or intentional?

Looking at the way the rear fuselage flexes I wonder if the tilt is an aerodynamic effect either from the spirol airstream from the propellor or due to the side force from the rudder. Just a thought.  I have been to the SH Trust many times and havent noticed the twist when the plane is in the hanger but I will look next time I am there.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:04:40 PM by pipemakermike »
Regards
Mike Nelson

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »
Amazing to think one of the British front line fighters in 1935 was the Hawker Hind whereas the Spitfire Prototype (K5054) 1st flew March 5th 1936. Amazing what the threat of a world war can do. Wonder what would be pushed into service in say 2016 if that happened today?

Just watched it again with the sound up, It was like watching a different film. Nice to see the Lysander getting an airing, one of my all time favourite aircraft and one of the unsung heroes of WW2.  y1

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:21 PM »
The Avro Triplane tail is tilted with respect to the wings.  I wonder if that's an oversight or intentional?

Cool.  I can't wait for time to watch all of it.

Reminds me of the movie "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines"

Still a good movie by the way.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:54:42 AM »
Reminds me of the movie "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines"

Still a good movie by the way.

Probably because several of the planes were built for the film - the Bristol Boxkite and the Avro Triplane
Regards
Mike Nelson

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »
I have a great book: "Building Aeroplanes for 'Those Magnificent Men'",  written by Air Commodore Allen H. Wheeler, C.B.E.   1965.  G.T. Foulis & Co. Ltd. London

It describes the design and construction of those flying (and non-flying) planes used in the movie.  Lots of details, photos,  and anecdotes of problems getting them to actually fly!

For instance, the "Demosielle" wouldn't get off the ground until they found a small female pilot Joan Hughes, weighing "8 stone" (whatever that is).

The Antoinette would stall at just a couple knots under maximum flying speed!

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here