News:

• May 28, 2024, 08:02:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nobler ARF control system  (Read 1733 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Nobler ARF control system
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
I know its been said and discussed before. But i dont remember.

Who makes a control system thats better than the stock system for the Nobler ARF thats reasonably priced?

I dont trust the the stuff that came with the arf.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nobler ARF control system
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:07:42 AM »
Jamie, years ago when I bought my Nobler ARF, I replaced it with a complete Tom Morris system.  At that time Tom made control systems for most of the more popular stunters.  I dont know if Tom still makes them or not.  You can buy the components for a system from several places.  Eric Rule at RSM has all of the components to replace the Chinese system as well.  When you start getting into CF push rods, Ball links, Titanium or SS push rod ends, CF bellcranks etc, the price does escalate for those quality components.  If you are looking for a control system that is specifically made for the Nobler, I would call Tom Morris.  He made mine.  I think I paid around $35.00 for it back then.

Mike

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:27:19 AM »
James...If Tom Morris is out of commission... I got one of his stock TF Nobler ARF complete systems...very nicely constructed but a tad pricey at $49

I am pretty sure I am never going the time to build the TF Nobler... too many better ARfs ahead of it

Check with Tom First... I can keep this for my son in the future...BUT if he is slowing down and not able to set you up I would be happy to let you have this setup...... IMO seem  a shame to put this nice system in what I consider a horrible arf........On the other hand... if dorked the whole system is not that hard to transfer to any new build
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »
James...If Tom Morris is out of commission... I got one of his stock TF Nobler ARF complete systems...very nicely constructed but a tad pricey at $49

I am pretty sure I am never going the time to build the TF Nobler... too many better ARfs ahead of it

Check with Tom First... I can keep this for my son in the future...BUT if he is slowing down and not able to set you up I would be happy to let you have this setup...... IMO seem  a shame to put this nice system in what I consider a horrible arf........On the other hand... if dorked the whole system is not that hard to transfer to any new build
Very kind offer. I will check with him first.

I already beefed up the nose with the needed mods. I just dont like the system it came with.

Ill let ya know when i find out.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 04:06:47 PM »
Tom is still in business.  I just bought an Airplane from him.  ctmorris@cableone.com  In his price sheet the price for a complete setup ranges $40 to $46 +shiping.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 02:02:29 PM »
Smart Move.  I am regretting using the crap that came with the kit.  I didn't want to waste money on a ship that I could not use in competition.  DUMB  The clevises that come with the kit have one and only one function - to get you to reorder a replacement kit for the one that just crashed.  If you use them at all, solder them in place as soon as you get it trimmed.  Mine stripped on the 2nd flight.  Stunt planes do not behave well when you only have flaps to control them!   Thanks to it being a trim flight with only enough fuel to do a few maneuvers I was able to get it down in one piece.

If I had it to do over I would have bushed the bellcrank and flap horns and soldered the pushrods at that point like we did it in the old days.  (Digging into it through the canopy is not as easy as they would lead you to believe in the instructions)   Put a really good nylon clevis on the tail horn and make a hatch to do your adjusting there.

OR - Put in one of Tom's systems.  Either way you are left with a cowl that is a different color from the rest of the plane.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 02:30:31 PM »
If you're going to go to the effort to rip into an ARF and replace the control system, why not just build a whole plane?  It seems that you could build a good solid profile with the effort that you'd put into bashing the ARF, and it may well fly better.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but I've really never understood this part.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 02:40:29 PM »
Smart Move.  I am regretting using the crap that came with the kit.  I didn't want to waste money on a ship that I could not use in competition.  DUMB  The clevises that come with the kit have one and only one function - to get you to reorder a replacement kit for the one that just crashed.  If you use them at all, solder them in place as soon as you get it trimmed.  Mine stripped on the 2nd flight. \

The parts supplied with the ARF are far and away the worst components I have ever seen supplied as a consumer product. A local flier found that the pushrod hole in the bellcrank was pounded out to about 1/4"  diameter - after *3 flights*.   I have no idea what grade of aluminum that was, zinc would have been preferable.

In any case, the stock parts are throwaway items. And in case anyone doesn't already know  - *do not use RC clevises of any type on the flap or elevator of a stunt plane*. No matter how tough they look, the WILL eventually fail, as many people who thought otherwise have found.

Brett

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 07:25:01 AM »
Who makes a control system thats better than the stock system for the Nobler ARF thats reasonably priced?
You do, roll your own..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here