News:

• May 24, 2024, 10:49:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Identify This Ship Circa 1974  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Identify This Ship Circa 1974
« on: December 14, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »
Guys,

I'm looking at some old 35mm slides from the Lake Charles Nats in '74 and I'm looking at a really cool stunt ship, it looks like a T-38/(F5?) white, with the flags of I believe the NATO countries on the nose. Finish is impeccable BTW

Sorry, I do not have the capacity at present to scan slides, but does anyone remember this ship? It's pretty unique so somebody can probably identify it by the description.

Thanks,
Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Identify This Ship Circa 1974
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
Sounds like the T-38 by the late Dave Rees that was published as a construction article in FM.  Waiting for someone more knowledgable to ring-in.  (Keith?) (Ted?) (Wynn?)
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »
Hi Chuck:
What you are looking at there is Dave Rees' F-5 Freedom Fighter. It was painted up in the "Demonstrator" scheme. The Northrop Aircraft Company sent an F-5 around the world as a demonstrator ship to woo potential buyers. There is a flag painted on each side of the fuselage to indicate each country it visited. Dave HAND PAINTED each and every one of those flags on each side of his F-5 stunters fuse as well!

Here’s the story, and it’s a sad one…

Dave’s T-38 Talon was published in Flying Models. It appeared there in the April issue of 1974 (Plan number CF-329). I was fortunate to be perhaps the only person to fly that T-38 other than Dave. It flew very well, as Dave was an excellent builder (Sadly, Dave passed away a short while back…). He followed up this success with an F-5 variant on that basic fuselage and wing theme. It was finished and ready for the Nats in Lake Charles, but I’m very sure it was the 1975 Nats, not the 1974 contest.

He drove down to the Nats that year with Fred Miles (Freddy also passed away about two years ago. Another great loss…). When they arrived they were exhausted from driving, but decided to go straight to the field and practice fly anyway. When Dave placed his spectacular ship on the tarmac, we all gathered around to admire it. Trust me when I tell you that this ship would have easily walked away with top appearance points that year but for what happened next.

Dave started to practice fly and just simply got behind the ship in a maneuver and crashed it hard into the pavement. It was totaled! Dave was devastated. He cleaned up the pieces and then just started to walk off by himself. He was heading down the huge concrete tie-down pad that we were flying on, and he just kept going. We didn’t see Dave for several hours after that and were starting to get a bit concerned about him. He showed up later that afternoon at the stunt practice circles and looked almost, well, happy!

We asked him where he had been and that we were worried about him. He said that he just needed some time to himself and took a walk. He told us that he walked to the end of the tie down pad and there in a field adjacent to the pad there were a bunch of free flight guys flying Peanut Scale models in competition. Dave became enthralled by the diminutive gems and started asking questions about how to get involved with that area of the hobby/sport.

Well, the rest is history, as they say. Dave went on to become one of the most successful Free Flight Scale modelers of all time. He won several Nats crowns in various FF scale events and was the Grand Champion of the Flying Aces Nats on several occasions as well. He had a large number of FF Scale models published in modeling magazines and even bought out Don Srull’s HiLine Models company and began producing a myriad of products for that community.

Dave did return to the Nats to fly CL Stunt one more time. In 1976 he flew his original design Dazzler 40 in Dayton at the Nats, and made it through the contest successfully. Dave was never a threat for the win in CL Stunt, but he was one fabulous gentleman and a craftsman supreme. He always kept a love for the CL models, but his main focus was FF Scale after the 1975 Nats experience.

Dave was a very close friend and I was honored to have been invited to go to his home some years later (around 1997) and video tape a program about Small Electric Flying Models. I still offer that DVD program for anyone who might be interested in seeing some of the magnificent models that Dave built. There’s a lot of flight footage on that DVD, and you can see the joy in Dave’s face when he launches his handiwork into the sky.

I am posting a couple of photos of Dave’s Dazzler, his T-38, and his F-5 here. Fair skies, light wind and thermals, Dave…

Bob Hunt

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:32:23 PM »
Thanx, Bobba!  I was pretty sure he was asking about Dave's T-38 but wasn't completely certain.  Glad you rang-in and verified it.

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »
Bob, Chuck.

Bob thanks for the information on a piece of Nats. history. The story of Dave Rees is most interesting, his story and his life make a great read.

Chuck you and I have a common interest in Dave’s T – 38. I was fortunate a couple of weeks ago to acquire a large stack of Flying Models magazines, most in pretty bad shape. In that stack was the issue with the plans for Dave’s Dazzler. I saved the few magazines that I could, and disposed of the remainder because they were so badly molded.

I’ve attached a PDF file of Dave’s T – 38 plans. This one is on my “along term some day to build list”. I hope all this interest, will get someone started on a build of the T – 38. Please enjoy.

Regards.
Dave.

AMA  41041
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 04:25:22 AM »
Bob, that's it, I thought these slides were Oshkosh but I was at Lake Charles as well.

Wow, look at the pressure recovery on that airfoil!

AMA 76478

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 06:36:57 AM »
Dont let Banjok see that...

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
Uh oh, just had a brainstorm...

That ship is BEGGING to be scaled up and flown as an electric.

I may be on a mission....

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
I always liked his Dazzler, There was an article by Dave in the Aeromodeller Annual 1977-78 about the design. I've included it below for anyone who is interested.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:17:12 PM »
I am always happy to hear about a modeler's migrations through the disciplines. I am one who flys all but have also had specialization periods in my life. Bob's story about Dave Rees was an epiphany to me because I had always known Dave as a superb FF scale modeler and had no idea of his Stunt background. In those years I was FF gas specialized and the rest of the magazine coverage was not important to me so I didn't bother with it. Reminds me of Jean Pailet whom I've known for many years on the FF field and no idea of his Stunt background until one day at an engine swap he told me about it.

Not trying to Shanghi this thread, just commenting that fine modelers are like fine musicians, they are broad in their interest and experience and it just makes them better and better at what they do.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:17:33 PM by Randy Ryan »
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »
Amen Randy!

Bob Hunt

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
Continuing with the Thread Drift (sorry...):

Several other well-known FF and RC folks have also been known to fly Stunt.  Dave Platt, Norm Furutani, Walt Ghio, and of course Chip Hyde, who's said to be doing rather well with it.

I'm sure there are others.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »
Continuing with the Thread Drift (sorry...):

Several other well-known FF and RC folks have also been known to fly Stunt.  Dave Platt, Norm Furutani, Walt Ghio, and of course Chip Hyde, who's said to be doing rather well with it.

I'm sure there are others.

Add to that list Dean Pappas, Tony Fracowiak, Dave Brown, Dave Gierke, Jim Kostecky, Leon Shulman and probably hundreds of others!  y1

Bob Hunt

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
Bob that's a fantastic story.

Thanks H^^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »

Bob,
I could read and or listen to you tell stories for hours.

W.W.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 07:35:48 AM »
I am still waiting for Bob's book to be finished.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »
Hi Bob, Thanks for posting the pictures of Dave's planes and filling in on his control line history. I knew he had flown control line and had heard a short version as to why he went into free flight but didn't know the whole story. I have the video of him flying free flight electric models, it's wonderful. He was such a talented and nice individual. Thanks again, Mike  H^^
AMA 59633

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 09:56:52 AM »
I am still waiting for Bob's book to be finished.   

Thanks to all for the nice words about my Dave Rees story. He was a great friend and we flew together a lot back in the early 1970's. Dave was not sure that the Talon was a good ship, and I think he was actually a bit intimidated by it. After all, he put in hundreds of hours making that ship virtually perfect in construction and finish. There is a special feature article by Dave that was published in Flying Models, shortly after the Talon had appeared there as a construction feature, that depicted in word and photos how Dave crafted those unbelievable cockpit interiors. A truly gifted craftsman...

Hi Doc: I assume that you are referring to my autobiography. That won’t be done for a while, but I do have the Caprice book text finished and would be happy to send the text portion to anyone who might like to read about that ship, its influences and its construction. It’s a long read, and there will be no quiz… In other words, if you get it and just don’t feel like reading it all, my feelings won’t be hurt. 

If you would like a copy of that text, please send me an email at robinhunt@rcn.com and mention the Caprice book text.

For those who might be interested, I have plans available for the Caprice (Inked by the legendary draftsman, Robert Sweitzer), and foam cores and covered foam wings as well. There is no obligation to order anything, however, in order to receive the text file mentioned above.

Later - Bob Hunt

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 11:01:17 AM »
There is a special feature article by Dave that was published in Flying Models, shortly after the Talon had appeared there as a construction feature, that depicted in word and photos how Dave crafted those unbelievable cockpit interiors. A truly gifted craftsman...

Bob Hunt

That Dave Rees article, "Lightweight Cockpit Interiors for Stunters" was in FM, Feb 75.  All 7 pages of photos and details.  Excellent article, as was everything that Dave Rees did.

Keiith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Add to that list Dean Pappas, Tony Fracowiak, Dave Brown, Dave Gierke, Jim Kostecky, Leon Shulman and probably hundreds of others!  y1

Bob Hunt

Bobby,
I fly with Tony F. about once a month and he always asks me stuff about Stunt and further threatens to build one of the many Stunt kits that he has.
Chris...

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »
Bobby,
I fly with Tony F. about once a month and he always asks me stuff about Stunt and further threatens to build one of the many Stunt kits that he has.
Chris...

Call his bluff, Chris!  <=

Get that guy building a roundy-rounder. He was a fantastic CL Combat flier some years back. I'm quite sure he'd be a great stunt flier...

Later - Bob

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 05:35:15 PM »
Bobby,
Chris...
Then tell him I'm still grateful that he handed me the bottle of cyano he had in his toolbox, when he came for a training session at our field prior to the WCh F3A, here in the Netherlands.
I had a ply servo bracket come loose in one of my gliders and cyano was not yet widely used over here.
We were advised by our club that we couldn't fly CL that day or else I would have brought my F2B model as well.
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here