News:

• May 24, 2024, 04:51:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fancherized twister  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Craig Beck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Fancherized twister
« on: October 15, 2017, 12:28:18 PM »
I just purchased a twister kit from Sig. Im going to Fancherize it. Power is a worked over OS 40 FP with venturi and tongue muffler. Brodak metal tank. I need more ideas. Put up some pictures.  Lets see some twisters

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: Fancherized twister
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 01:13:04 PM »
Craig

I did same idea a year ago

Do a simple search of SH for Fancher... you will have more to read and see that you can do in a week

Mine are still waiting build time....too much fun flying my small fleet

In the mean time accumulate a bunch of GOOD wood... copy the kit so when you do start you can make two or three

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »
Wasn't there a full fuselage version of the Twister? I remember seeing plans, don't know if it was ever a kit.

MM
I think it was called "Tornodo" or something along that line.  I may be way off.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 02:04:54 PM »
   There has probably more posts about the Twister and it's variations and the FP.40 than any other subject. Should be tons of photos also. The SIG Twister is a very capable airplane in stock form when built straight and accurately. The FP.40 will perform well also when properly set up and proper prop, and there has been tons on this subject also. The Fancher mods just make it "easier" to fly an accurate pattern, ion my opinion for lack of a better word. Notice that I didn't say it made the airplane better. I have recounted the story of a local guy using the same single , stock SIG Twister and several FP.40s to go from the Beginner class all the way to Expert class wins in local competition. If you build one from a kit, scratch build one right next to it as you go along. This will save you some time and money if you are just starting out. Make them exactly the same as you possibly can. There was a model published in Flying Models that Allen Brickhaus had something to do with that was called Tornado (get it, twister-Tornado!) and was a Twister with a simple box full fuselage. The Twister has been kit bashed into lots of different shapes, and is successful if you stick to the same basic "numbers" or "Fancher numbers" and make it look like anything you want. It's a very versatile design.
  Thank you Mike Gretz!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »
I did the same thing a year or so ago. I had an OS .40 in it but felt it wasn't that responsive over head so I put a .46 on it and extended the line length to 62 feet. I took it to a local contest and flew it on the practice circle with the man, Ted Fancier, taking a close look. After taking it back home and sealing the hinge line at his suggestion it flies, for me anyway, much better. I have two more Twister kits here that some time this winter I will also convert. Otherwise I built exactly as the Fancherized plans told me to.

Don

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
Lots of info out there.  Here's my contribution to the pile.  Note that the whole point of Ted's original idea wasn't to build that exact thing, but rather to apply a process to kit-bashing just about anything from the mid-1970's to modernize the aerodynamics.  As part of that, you should feel free to adjust the looks as you see fit (if you look at my thread, you'll see that I took that thought very much to heart).

I have a reworked 40LA that someone was kind enough to give me during a time of low funds.  It's OK, but I prefer the 46LA and Tower 40 that I have in my stable.  If you've got a reworked engine it's operation is going to be totally dependent on who did the reworking and how well they did it -- which is all a really long way around saying that you shouldn't hesitate to try different engines.  If it fits a 40LA then it'll fit either the 46LA or a Tower 40 just fine.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 03:37:52 PM »
Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 05:00:39 PM »
I use an la40 on my Fan Twister, 2 1/2" fuselage extension, half ribs, tongue muffler, best changeI made was to switch to a "chicken hopper" 4 1/4 oz. tank from RSM smoothed out the engine run greatly. I was using a 4 oz. tank with muffler pres. Also 10 1/2 x 4 1/2 prop.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »
Another possible mod is to sand the notches off of the W2 ribs where the TE sheeting goes, cut 4 more W2 ribs and replace the W1 ribs with the new ones you just made.  Add LE sheeting and cap strips, and get the LE nice and blunt, like a more modern airfoil.  This adds a few more square inches and help carry a heavier model.

That said, as previously mentioned, a box stock twister will perform well if built and set up properly.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 06:21:54 PM »
I think it was called "Tornodo" or something along that line.  I may be way off.

James
Yeah it was an Allen Brickhaus design.  Larry Lindburg built the model for the article which I think was in FM.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Craig Beck

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »
Thankyou everyone for the info. Im super excited to dive right in on this plane. Does anyone have or know where i can get a set of the Fancherized twister plans?

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 07:20:49 PM »
Thankyou everyone for the info. Im super excited to dive right in on this plane. Does anyone have or know where i can get a set of the Fancherized twister plans?

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/fancherized-twister/msg240678/#msg240678

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 07:24:37 PM »

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8708

If you really want to save on wood, scarf a plug into the existing fuselage while keeping the wing and tail in their same relative locations on the plan.  It won't look the same, but it'll fly the same.  Otherwise, you'll have this big old piece of scrap 1/2" balsa (I ended up giving mine to someone repairing a non-Fancherized twister).  On the tail feathers, if they're not too heavy, splice some same-thickness (3/16"?  I can't remember) strips on the LE and TE and trim to fit the plan, then splice on some wood with the grain running fore and aft onto the tips.  It should be plenty strong.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Craig Beck

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 08:06:42 PM »
Im really wanting a to scale set of plans already on paper. Im sure those can be purchased somewhere?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
Im really wanting a to scale set of plans already on paper. Im sure those can be purchased somewhere?

Try emailing the guy who drew up the plan (his email address is in the title block).  Or put the pdf on a thumb drive and take it to your local Kinko's or (possibly better) mom & pop print shop.
AMA 64232

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 09:11:19 PM »

Download this PDF to a thumb drive and print it at your local fedex store, print shop.   A proper good professional printing shop will be able to use the scale on the bottom of the print to determine the proper print size.  Sometimes the help at the FedEx places is unable to help scale prints correctly.

You can purchase a printed set of plans through pampa and/or from Walter at http://www.builtrightflyright.com if he gets back up and running.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline cory colquhoun

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 10:04:16 PM »
I use an la40 on my Fan Twister, 2 1/2" fuselage extension, half ribs, tongue muffler, best changeI made was to switch to a "chicken hopper" 4 1/4 oz. tank from RSM smoothed out the engine run greatly. I was using a 4 oz. tank with muffler pres. Also 10 1/2 x 4 1/2 prop.
Rich, glad to see someone else getting good results from la 40, heard some bad reviews about that engine,myself  ,I have a 40 la in a fancherized twister,  running, standard rear assembly , muffler pressure works best for me ,4 oz uni flow profile tank ,11 x 5 apc , 60' lines, 4.9 sec laps , my sons put about 20 flights on it so far hasn't missed a beat,
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:48:37 PM by cory colquhoun »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here