News:

• June 16, 2024, 05:35:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tomorrow is October 12th  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tomorrow is October 12th
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:31:11 PM »
Just realized tomorrow is the 12th. Difficult to grasp that it's been 20 years. Don't know if there are any other John Denver fans out there, but I was privileged to see him in concert twice. What an amazing entertainer. He was so genuine on and off the stage. Fame never went to his head, to the end it still amazed him to be able to do what he did for a living.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
Re: Tomorrow is October 12th
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:28:12 PM »
Growing up in Colorado, we where required by law to be John Denver fans y1
I truly loved his music and still listen to him all the time.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:14 PM »
Larry, what part of Colorado are from?  My wife grew up in Longmont. Still has family in the Denver area.  because of her, I've seen more of Colorado than my home state of Nevada. Big difference  LL~ LL~

I was born in Denver and spent my high school years Del Norte, down in the San Louis Valley.
Del Norte Colorado, population 1500 elevation 7888 ft.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:38:23 PM »
And what a bizarre way for John to check out, apparently trying to access the fuel valve above his shoulder while climbing out from Monterey airport in, I think, a Vari-eze (sp?). That was a real shock to me, that someone of his prominence could get killed in such an ordinary-person way. I love his music too. Giving my age away, I guess.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
Yes he was one of the truly great performers. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:28:27 PM »
Growing up in Colorado, we where required by law to be John Denver fans y1
I truly loved his music and still listen to him all the time.

Me too.  Great memories!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »
And what a bizarre way for John to check out, apparently trying to access the fuel valve above his shoulder while climbing out from Monterey airport in, I think, a Vari-eze (sp?). That was a real shock to me, that someone of his prominence could get killed in such an ordinary-person way. I love his music too. Giving my age away, I guess.
Yes. Very experienced pilot. However the Long-Ez he bought had been modified by its builder. The fuel valve was originally easily reached below the seat. The guy who built it had relocated it to the bulkhead above and behind the pilots left shoulder, which turned out to be a fatal design change.  The design is utterly stall proof. However the NTSB determined that as he strained to reach this valve when the tank went dry he inadvertently pushed hard on the rudder pedal spinning in before any corrective action could be taken at low altitude.

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
Wife and I celebrated the 12th by observing our 32nd anniversary.  Nice steak and seafood place I found nearby.  Was going to go for the salmon but opted for their nightly special - swordfish.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »
Wife and I celebrated the 12th by observing our 32nd anniversary.  Nice steak and seafood place I found nearby.  Was going to go for the salmon but opted for their nightly special - swordfish.
Congratulations on 32 years!!  We hit 23 this year.  Only time I've ever eaten swordfish steak was when I was doing work on the set of The Postman back around '94 or so. That was a good gig.

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 12:02:48 PM »
I can appreciate the tallent of John Denver but never really was a fan...Rock Mountain High is the only memorable tune of his for me

I am more a Rare earth, Hendrix, ZZ Top, George Thoroughgood, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Santana, Doors, ...well basically 60~80 rock

My brother who I am closest to has a birthday of 12 October...1960  5 years my junior

About the time John crashed I was solidly into my duty as Rucker trained aircraft crash investigator for the Army's rotary wing stuff
Around the same time our UH-60 were referred to as Lawn Darts...few will get this....but I unfortunately got to see a lot of very dead citizens

All the reports I read ( of the J Denver crash) left me real confused...not that that should amaze anyone.. the type aircraft he flew was not in my kit of tricks to know about

But for years I always did, and to some extent still do ...believe something is Hinkey about that crash

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here