News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:44:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine for the Veco Papoose  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Engine for the Veco Papoose
« on: June 17, 2021, 08:14:50 PM »
Found a nice Papoose kit.  I purchased one (built) back in the '50s but don't remember much - as I recall it was poorly built and didn't last long, but I ran a Fox .19 from the '50s on it.  The kit plans recommend a Veco .19.

Somehow the idea of running an engine that weighs something in the area of 6 ounces or so on 248 square inches of wing strikes me as trying to fly a brick.  Who's had one and what did you run for power?

Maybe an OS FP .15 or LA .15 is plenty of power?

Dennis

PS: Me thinks someone did a nice job on "Old Yeller" here ...
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine for the Veco Papoose
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 08:33:33 PM »
I agree with your theory with only 248 squares making this into a good stunter is an uphill battle.  Maybe an .09 or an old OS Max II or III 15 would be your best hope.
Paul Smith

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 04:12:33 AM »
If you can find a good OS-Max .15-!!!, that should be ideal.  It's nice and light, and I found mine a good match for flapped models of up to 350 sq. in.
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 05:46:54 AM »
As a kid I had one with a K&B 19 running an 9x6 prop, that was a lot of power. I think the OS FP 15 with a current high rpm/low pitch would be a good choice. A prop around 8x4 or maybe 8 1/2x4 should be a good starting point.

Best,    DennisT

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 07:51:08 AM »
The Papoose was designed to run with the engines produced back in the same time frame.
If you use  a modern schneurle engine the airplane will be very nose heavy. Then you add weight to the tail, and now the airplane is too heavy to stunt well.

A period .15 (Fox, K&B ) would work, or a period .09 (Mccoy) 
De Hill

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 09:19:50 AM »
I think the OS FP 15 with a light tongue muffler will be in the weight range.

Best,    DennisT

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 09:38:30 AM »
Do it.
De Hill

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 10:46:48 AM »
Thanks guys!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 11:59:30 AM »
An Airman in Tachikawa, Japan, returning to the ZI gave me his Veco Papoose, about 1959. It had no motor so I squeezed in a Max 35 and the plane became a Rat Racer. It was quite fast but didn't survive very long.

I have a Papoose kit and if it is ever built, I will choose an old OS Max 15 and back away from Rat Racing. (Back then it was mostly teenagers and racing was more like Demolition Derby.)

dg

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 04:14:48 PM »
An Airman in Tachikawa, Japan, returning to the ZI gave me his Veco Papoose, about 1959. It had no motor so I squeezed in a Max 35 and the plane became a Rat Racer. It was quite fast but didn't survive very long.

I have a Papoose kit and if it is ever built, I will choose an old OS Max 15 and back away from Rat Racing. (Back then it was mostly teenagers and racing was more like Demolition Derby.)

dg

Any Chance you could make die tracings of the parts and copy the plans for everybody on here that is looking to replicate the Veco Papoose?
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 06:29:37 PM »
The kit has not been opened, I'd rather not open it just yet. If I open it before I sell it, I'll make a copy of the plans. Unlike a Veco kit, this kit may have full size plans.

dg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here