News:

• May 28, 2024, 08:44:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine for Oriental build  (Read 11962 times)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Engine for Oriental build
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2013, 09:14:24 PM »
Steve Y.,
Did you mean the OS.40 LA-S is no longer available?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPUE3&P=7

Dave "McDivot"

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »
I think LA40s are discontinued, both RC and CL. Often they can be had cheap New in the Box (whatever that means in actuality) at swaps, ebay and RC forums. LA 40/46, FP40/35, weigh 8.2 ounces. Enya 35 V (baffle piston engine) 7.9. OS 35s 6.9, Fox 35 6.5. All weighing just done on my postal scale. Engines with prop nuts, no props or mufflers. Considering the nose moment vs tail moment of the Oriental and most control line planes, it takes about half the weight in the tail to offset a heavier weight in the nose. A 2 ounce heavier engine can be offset by one ounce in the tail. Or in the case of an LA46 vs a Fox 35, a difference of 1.7 ounces in the nose can be offset by .85ounces in the tail. Overall weight penalty about 2.5 ounces. Perhaps a significant weight difference. Perhaps not. The difference in power between the two engines tho is quite significant. FP40/LA40s put out more power, turning significantly larger props at higher speed. LA46s way more power on large props and so on. I checked out Stunt News to see what competitors choose for Orientals, Noblers, and the like. At Brodak there were a large number of Brodak 40s. Engines weighing in about the same as a Fox35. These engines are of modern design and are potentially more powerful than a Fox. Lots of LAs, FPs, and a few Aerotigres. 3 (I think) Fox 35 powered Noblers or Orientals. At the NATS, I couldn't find a listing for engines used in Classic.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2013, 01:29:45 AM »
Steve Y.,
Did you mean the OS.40 LA-S is no longer available?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPUE3&P=7

Dave "McDivot"

I stand corrected. 40 LA-S is indeed discontinued. I never liked them anyways(heavier than 46 and less power too). 40FP was a better motor than its LA sibling. I love my 40FP and will run until it can't run no more!

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2013, 05:16:19 AM »
LA40s are more high strung than LA46s, at least in my experience. They do not adopt well to the deep 4stroke possible with an LA46. The LA46 slobbering rich run, with a touch of break at the top of the figures and in the overhead. The kind of run that turns heads. One club member likes the LA40s, runs them similar to the way unmodified FP40s are run. Richer 2/stroke breaking into a leaner 2/stroke. This engine powers an Oriental, interestingly enough. I've seen that plane clean up in local Advanced meets. I like my FP40s, but love my Tower 40s. There. I said it. If the market for Tower 40s goes bonkers, CL fliers scarfing them up. Well. I have already accumulated a lifetime supply.  ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here