News:

• May 04, 2024, 03:04:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Digital Camera Advice  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Damian_Sheehy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Digital Camera Advice
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »
I am thinking of purchasing a digital camera for general use and I also plan to use it to take pictures at our local club events. What camera and lens features are important for capturing stunt planes in flight? I am also interested in good set-up recommendations. Unfortunately, I haven't set a budget as I am just scoping out at this point.

On a separate note, I know stunt planes are very challenging to catch in a viewfinder. What's the typical "hit rate" for good photographers who's photos make it into SN. How many shots do they typically take to get one good shot?

Is there a good thread or SN article on tips for shooting stunt?

H^^

Damian

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Digital Camera Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »
You need to talk to Elwyn. He is great at getting photos. He did say once that he shoots a bunch and a lot I photos hit the editing room floor.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »
I suggest the Canon Rebel EOS  T4i
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:01:36 AM by Gene O'Keefe »
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline David Russum

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Definitely an SLR - the point and shoot cameras have a slight delay from pressing the button to actually taking the picture - not good for in-flight shots.  Bare minimum of a 150mm-200mm lens, preferably 300mm+. Try to avoid the low cost plastic lenses, it might seem like you are getting a big lens for a good price, but the image quality can be a bit fuzzy...very frustrating when otherwise the shot is perfect.  Buy a lens at least one step up from the bargain basement models.  The short lens that comes with the camera will be OK for shots of airplanes on the ground, people, family photos, etc., but don't skimp too much on the long lens for flight photos.

Following the plane in flight is not too difficult, you can definitely tell who is the better flier as the path of the airplane is much smoother and more predictable!  I generally take two types of in flight shots - shots of the plane high in the air, usually at the 45deg (ahem!!) tops of the outside maneuvers, and shots of the plane in level flight, ideally with both the plane and pilot in the frame.  The high shots are easier, follow the plane, use the autofocus (my camera allows me to hold the shutter button halfway down and it will continually focus on the plane) zoom as close as possible while allowing you to keep the airplane in frame, and take the picture when it "looks right".  I usually stand 20-30 ft. from the edge of the circle for these shots.  The low shots are more difficult - it is best to pre focus at a spot on the ground where the airplane will fly over, lock the focus on the lens, follow the plane around the circle (much harder than for the high shots), and try to time it just right.  You can take these shots from the 20-30ft position outside the circle, but it is best to move farther back, sometimes as far as 100-150ft, to get the depth of field to get both the pilot and plane in focus, or at least one in focus and the other recognizable.  These are much harder than the high flight shots - just guessing I would say that maybe 1 in 10 of the high flight shots I take are really good, and about half of them OK, for the level flight shots maybe 1 in 15 or 1 in 20 are good.  I take lots of pictures, at a big contest like VSC I will take 1000 pictures in a day.  It can get tedious to go through that many pictures, but it is better to have too many good photos than too few - memory cards and big disk drives are cheap compared to travel expenses to a contest, and you can always delete the photos you don't like.

Don't forget software - something that will at least allow you to crop, resize, and do basic brightness and contrast adjustments.  I use an ancient (1990s!!!) version of Paint Shop Pro.  There others, some of them free - Ifran View gets mentioned a lot...Photoshop of course is good, but possibly not worth the extra expense - put that few hundred $$ into a better lens....

My camera is a Canon EOS Rebel XT, 8 megapixels, purchased new in 2006.  I use the included 18-55mm lens for planes on the ground, people, etc.  I originally bought the base model Canon 200mm zoom lens (~$300) which was a bit of a disappointment...most of the pictures lacked sharpness, and I really needed more magnification to get the plane to fill up more of the frame.  I then bought a Canon EF 70-300mm lens ($600 or $700) which is still not as good as I wanted, but much better.

In conclusion, if you are really serious I would recommend either the Canon EOS or or equivalent Nikon (D40?) camera with the included ~50mm lens, and then buy at least a 200mm zoom lens, the best you can afford.  Skimp a bit on the camera body to get a better lens - if you can find last-years camera body on sale, get that and use the saved money on a better lens.

Let us know how this works out!   Take tons of pictures, learn from your mistakes and only show people your best shots!!!

AMA #335952

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »
I am thinking of purchasing a digital camera for general use and I also plan to use it to take pictures at our local club events. What camera and lens features are important for capturing stunt planes in flight? I am also interested in good set-up recommendations. Unfortunately, I haven't set a budget as I am just scoping out at this point.

On a separate note, I know stunt planes are very challenging to catch in a viewfinder. What's the typical "hit rate" for good photographers who's photos make it into SN. How many shots do they typically take to get one good shot?

Is there a good thread or SN article on tips for shooting stunt?

H^^

Damian

I think get one that allows choice of viewfinder or display.  I think it's easier to follow something in flight looking through a viewfinder than at arms length using the display.  "Locking" the focus feature is necessary to avoid the delay in using auto focus.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
I'm a point-and-shooter (read amateur) when it comes to photography but I'm more than happy with my Nikon P500 (not a DSLR). The latest P510 has a few more features (like built in GPS) but is otherwise much the same. Not that I really understand it, but the lens is a 24-1000mm which, in my terms, means a 42x zoom. Movie mode is 1080p or you can shoot slow motion at 120fps but only for 10 seconds.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_coolpix_p510_review/

Offline Damian_Sheehy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:00:40 PM »
You need to talk to Elwyn. He is great at getting photos. He did say once that he shoots a bunch and a lot I photos hit the editing room floor.

He is a sharp shooter! I'm sure anyone with a camera would like to have a chat with him  8)

Offline Damian_Sheehy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »

Definitely an SLR - the point and shoot cameras have a slight delay from pressing the button to actually taking the picture - not good for in-flight shots.  Bare minimum of a 150mm-200mm lens, preferably 300mm+.

<Snip>
Let us know how this works out!   Take tons of pictures, learn from your mistakes and only show people your best shots!!!

This is very useful advice. Exactly the kind of information I am looking for to help me make the right choices and set priorities. Useful shooting tips, too. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and provide such a good overview. I will report back and let you  :)

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
I'm currently getting by with a Canon SX 30 IS which goes from slightly wide angle to 35X of zoom which comes out to about 840mm (according to the manufacturer). I think it suffers a bit from lack of sharpness near the edges and the image through the viewfinder probably isn't as bright as you would get from a true SLR camera since you're looking at an electronic image and not a reflection from a mirror. Prefocusing by holding the shutter button half-way down is required to get rid of any shutter lag, and if you have to set the ISO to 400 or higher to get a decent shutter speed on a grey day, the pictures can get very noisy. A true SLR with a few good lenses would no doubt do a better job if it's in the budget. If you did a comparison of enlargements from my camera and a good SLR you could probably see a noticeable difference. On the internet where you're reducing the file size to fit on a forum it's not as critical.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 07:03:27 AM »
Damian you are purchasing your camera at what happens to be a critical time for manufacturers. 2012 to the middle of 2013 is when most of the "majors" either have released, or will be releasing their updated models. Without a price it is impossible to make a recomendation.

Without a price range I could easily recommend the Canon 1DX at $6800 for the body only with a Canon 24-70 L lens at $2300.  LL~

Do you have any idea of your price range?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:05:33 AM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 08:08:09 AM »
Damian you are purchasing your camera at what happens to be a critical time for manufacturers. 2012 to the middle of 2013 is when most of the "majors" either have released, or will be releasing their updated models. Without a price it is impossible to make a recomendation.

Without a price range I could easily recommend the Canon 1DX at $6800 for the body only with a Canon 24-70 L lens at $2300.  LL~

Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 08:51:35 AM »
How about us poor boys that don't have big budgets or don't plan on taking aerial shots of planes.  Mainly posed shots, planes and stuff to put on the auction site.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »
How about us poor boys that don't have big budgets or don't plan on taking aerial shots of planes.  Mainly posed shots, planes and stuff to put on the auction site.

Don't give me any excuses!! You get up them bucks or else. mw~

Sorry John, I couldn't resist that.  LL~ Cameras are a lot of fun and they lend themselves to light hearted humor. Of course I can recommend something but, I don't know where Damian is headed cost wise.

But you know John,for the needs that you listed:"Mainly posed shots, planes and stuff to put on the auction site", a $100 Canon Powershot or Nikon Coolpix would do just fine-serious.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:34:37 AM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
How about us poor boys that don't have big budgets or don't plan on taking aerial shots of planes.  Mainly posed shots, planes and stuff to put on the auction site.

For anything that stands still, even the least-expensive point-and-shoot works just fine. I have been a Nikon guy for many years but I would recommend a Canon for a point-and-shoot, because the menus are much more straighforward. I had a lot of fun with my Nikon point-and-shoot but easy it was not.

Other than that, to get good pictures, its the same basic technique as it has been since hand-held cameras were invented in ~1900 - hold it steady, make sure it is in focus, and just squeeze the shutter button. If you pictures aren't any good, get closer! But not too close. What I see all the time now is that people try to get the camera *too* close for it to autofocus. You usually have a big preview screen now, so use it and see if the thing actually focused on what you want. It will usually tell you with a red light, or a flashing green light, or something, that it couldn't find a focus point, and it will tell you what it did focus on.

The other key to good pictures is the light. A single flash on the camera gives you enough light to take correctly-exposed pictures, but in many cases it doesn't look good.  To do a good job, find a basic photography book and it will give you some simple lighting setups. If you are trying for art, they are a cliche' sometimes, but if you just want to take a good picture, there was a reason it's a cookbook formula. Photography is about recording light, lighting is the key.

For things that move, and with all due respect to those who manage it otherwise, I think you need a DSLR. Even the very cheapest will work fine, but you need to be able to see what you are taking a picture of - not what was on the video display half a second ago. If you are on a very tight budget but still want pictures of action, I would note that 35mm film cameras of exceptional quality are available for nearly free. You can still get film and processing,  and you can get it scanned at the processor. The same downsides apply as it did 15 years ago - color film is still relatively expensive and you waste a lot of shots. Electrons are free, which is why no one does it any more.

Brett

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »
But you know John,for the needs that you listed:"Mainly posed shots, planes and stuff to put on the auction site", a $100 Canon Powershot or Nikon Coolpix would do just fine-serious.

I use a  Cannon PowerShot "S3 IS" for posed shots, and it works great.  If you're familiar with my build threads on this forum -- all those shots are with that camera.  I haven't been able to take an action shot with it that I liked, or a movie, so that's asking too much.

I do drool after the nicer cameras, though.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »
I have a soft spot in my heart (or in my head) for the Kodak "Retina" 35mm pocket cameras!  I have three.  The lens will rival the most expensive ones.  But not convenient for in-flight shots, because the lens is fixed 50mm, and these days, roll film processing is a pain.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Damian_Sheehy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »

Without a price range I could easily recommend the Canon 1DX at $6800 for the body only with a Canon 24-70 L lens at $2000.  LL~

I'm pretty sure I won't be getting that stockin' stuffer for good behavior. I was figuring somewhere on the south side of 1K and the further south the better. There's an employee photography club at the place I work and some members of the club turn around equipment faster than I "turn around" planes. A friend in the club is scouting around for me . . . I also plan to look at the used equipment at B&H to stretch my $ a little.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »
I was figuring somewhere on the south side of 1K and the further south the better.  A friend in the club is scouting around for me . . . I also plan to look at the used equipment at B&H to stretch my $ a little.

B&H is whats up!! Check out the new Nikon D5200. Launched a couple of weeks ago. Its not a turkey like the D5100. The Nikon D3200 ain't bad either. All south of 1k. Nikon outstills Canons hands down. Canons out video Nikons hands down.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Damian_Sheehy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »

John, I feel your pain. I got my first camera by collecting Bazooka Joe Bubble Wrappers and I didn't have the pleasure of chewing my way through all that gum  ;D

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 09:39:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure I won't be getting that stockin' stuffer for good behavior. I was figuring somewhere on the south side of 1K and the further south the better. There's an employee photography club at the place I work and some members of the club turn around equipment faster than I "turn around" planes. A friend in the club is scouting around for me . . . I also plan to look at the used equipment at B&H to stretch my $ a little.

Definitely look for a few year old digital SLRs. The pace of development and pace of marketing is such that every few years the gear collectors switch everything out, particularly camera bodies. If I was looking I would look for a few year old or factory refurb Nikon D90. That one particularly because it can use older pin-drive autofocus lenses, which are also very inexpensive. I use the same 70-300 I used on my old film camera. A used or factory refurb D40 (not D40x) would be my second choice.

Brett

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »
For on the ground shots, I do well with ancient technology. I found a Sony Mavica MVC FD-88 on Ebay for $15. It does extremely well for closeups with the included macro focus feature. But then I know the Mavica very well.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
I've put together my own list of features,
1) good low light performance. i.e. a low f value on the basic lens. When the f value gets above 3 or so the camera essentially becomes flash or bright sun only, as far as in flight shots go.  Full cloud cover makes all the pictures come out flat and dull. 
2) For in flight and action shots 8-10 frames/sec is good.  Ultra high fps just wastes storage space, although it is kind of cool to be able to take pictures that show the prop rotating 20 degrees per frame.
3) As many pixels as you can get.  It is much easier to shot from a distance away at relatively low zoom and then crop the picture to get what you want.  Trying to follow a plane at a zoom of more than 40mm or so is very difficult.  If the final crop picture has more than 4mp and is in focus you can make very nice looking 8x10 prints.  4mp is way more than needed for good pix for publication in a magazine or on the internet.
4) Max zoom of 20x or so is plenty, unless you are trying for pictures of hawks soaring at altitude.  20x can get you the pilot's face full frame and then back out 5x or so and get a string of flight shots without having to try and follow the action in the viewfinder.

When it comes to cameras quality follows cubic dollars.  Just going from an f1.8 to an f1.4 lense(a very big improvment) can run up the cost of the lens from $1000 to over $2K.
phil Cartier

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »
And you wonder why I stay with old technology?

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »
And you wonder why I stay with old technology?

Not to fear, almost everything in Phil's post is incorrect or misleading. If I didn't know better I would think it to be a parody of a camera magazine article, or a report from 15 years ago (when any sort of decent performance was absurdly expensive).

Good low-light performance *is* important, but almost any decent camera in the last 5 years has had more-than-adequate performance at high ASA/ISO. Unlike the implication, that is a function of the sensor, not the lens. ASA 800 is perfectly good on almost any 2/3 frame camera and any full-frame camera. That covers you in almost all conditions, that's roughly 1/2000 second shutter speed at F/16 on the lens in full sunlight. And by perfectly good, I mean you can't tell the difference between 800 and the design ASA (usually 200). Above that some of them go off the rails a bit, but even my 3-year old D90 is perfectly acceptable at 3200 with only minor loss of saturation. Newer cameras are generally better.

High frame rates (>1 frame/sec) are not particularly useful. In anything other than the most expensive cameras, you can only go for a second or so at very low resolution before the buffer fills up. If you think you need that, most cameras will shoot in "movie" mode that works as well, and then just grab individual frames. I rarely use anything other than single-shot mode at any time for modeling pictures.

More pixels is not necessarily better. Anything more than about 5 Mpixels on tiny point-and-shoot sensor, or maybe 10 or so on a DSLR, is just taking up space. Putting more pixels, shooting at small image sizes, and then cropping it is MUCH WORSE in almost all aspects from filling the sensor with the desired image. You can crop it very tightly before you get visible pixels but it will not be very sharp and the colors and tones will not be smooth. The key to sharp pictures is to put the subject all the way across the sensor/film plane and use every bit or silver molecule you can use. Digital zoom, same thing, not worth using. You need to fill the frame!

You don't need or want huge zoom ratios. If you have interchangeable lenses you just use two that will cover any conceivable purpose. For instance, I have a good array of lenses, but use a 18-55 mm and a 70-300 for almost everything. With my sensor size, thats the equivalent of about 28mm-80mm and about 105mm-450mm for a 35mm camera. I routinely shoot in-flight photos from 10-15 feet away with it set to about the equivalent of 150-175 mm.

Similarly, with any sort of modern quality sensor, super-fast lenses like the f/1.4 are essentially useless. Those were all the rage for photojournalists using relatively slow 35mm film in the 60's. They were adopted for "show" purposes by amateurs in film camera days but they are almost never used wide-open in any circumstances even with film. If for no other reason that most of them had absolutely terrible performance (flare, distortion, etc) wide-open. If you aren't going to use at f/1.4 you are much much better off with a slower lens that is not as compromised for low-light ability. For instance, the extremely inexpensive 50/1.8 lenses are far better performers. That's only 1/2 a stop slower, and you aren't going to use it at even F/1.8, either. Most digital camera "kit" SLRs come with a base lens of F3.5 or so, and that is entirely satisfactory for any decent camera. I have my camera locked to ASA 800 and rarely change it (and then only to set it slower , not faster) and I never bother with my f/1.8 lens.

Moreover, all the current f1.4 (and 1.8 for that matter) like the Nikon 50/1.4 are the same design and construction as they were in 1965, for the most part. No work has been done on these sorts of lenses for a very long time. Zoom lenses are right at the cutting edge, with every trick they know applied. I know from testing that the cheapie 18-55/3.5-4.5 zoom beats the *snot* out of my 50/18 in every regard - sharper, much much less flare, better contrast, etc. Its WAY better than any 50/f1.4 lens ever made, including Leica. And it has shake compensation.

Anyone who pays $2000 for a f1.4 lens for taking model airplane pictures is not thinking the problem through - at all.

All you really need for any modeling application is the cheapest low-end DSLR (DX (nikon) or APS-C (canon)) from a reputable manufacturer, the inexpensive basic lens that comes with it (something like and 18-55 f/3.5-4.5) and maybe the low-end 70-300 zoom, OR the magical Nikon 18-200, which is more expensive up front but covers almost all conceivable needs. They all have sufficient resolution and they all have adequate or better low-light performance.

Of course, even cheaper or free are late 35mm film cameras.

And again, if you are just going to take pictures of stationary objects, any point-and-shoot camera from Canon or Nikon youis probably more than adequate. That's going to be about $150.

Brett

p.s. here's an example - http://www.adorama.com/INKD5100KR.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflAID021866

p.s. to show how little extra resolution means, this was taken with a 1.8 mPixel camera - 12 years ago! This straight out of the camera and converted to make it a postable size, but is otherwise completely unmanipulated. It looks fine even at 11x17. Its all about technique, not resolution. And now that you use nice free electrons instead of an expensive precious metal, learning the technique is also free.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:36:22 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 09:10:52 PM »
I own a variety of cameras from $50 point and shoot up to a (don't ask) view camera.  For digital shooting of aircraft in flight, I prefer my Sony alpha 33.  It is a compact SLR which uses translucent mirror technology.  You get continuous auto focus (even while shooting videos!) and instantaneous firing of the shot when the button is pushed.  Also, very quiet and NO VIBRATION.  Plus!!! it takes all the old Minolta Maxxum lenses (Cheap on e-Bay!).

I no longer use my Canon 5D except when the absolute ultimate quality is required, and haven't touched the view camera, except to admire it (or show it off) in at least two decades (remember "film"? Naaah).

For a less expensive camera that has superb picture quality, I like my Canon G-11(they are up to G-15 by now!)  This is a great camera for vacations.  Compact, light, but way better than the usual little point and shoot.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 11:27:15 PM »
For on the ground shots, I do well with ancient technology. I found a Sony Mavica MVC FD-88 on Ebay for $15. It does extremely well for closeups with the included macro focus feature. But then I know the Mavica very well.

That is a mighty pretty picture.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:39 AM »
Hi Damian,

I have a little 14 megapixel Fuji that was on sale at Staples for less than $100 back in May this year. As others have said, great for posed shots but due to shutter lag it is not so great for flight shots. I try anyway and sometimes they come out ok.

Typically the better photos are taken with Digital SLR's and zoom lenses. Typically the combat guys take 3-5 shots in a row using the camera's auto mode. So the quick auto repeat shots are handy (mandatory!) for those fast action shots. You can see the results that Jeff Vader gets on Neil Simpson's combat web site.

One of the great things about digital photography is that you can take tons of photos, then pick out the keepers. Unless you are doing posed shots, expect to throw away a lot of shots. They are free! By the way, multiple shots are great for posed ones, too. People are always blinking at the wrong time.

I would try and see what Steve Teerlinck is using, too. He has a digital SLR and gets good shots.

You will also want a simple photo editing package so you can crop the photos. I like Gimp (freeware) but you may get one with the camera.

-Chris

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 08:14:37 AM »
Item 330833141400   , a Canon Power Shot A3400 at $89.00 free shipping.   Would this be a good buy?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
That looks ok, price is not especially low. Check Amazon, you get the same price. Good to check reviews there, too.

-Chris

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
Hi Damian,

I have a little 14 megapixel Fuji that was on sale at Staples for less than $100 back in May this year. As others have said, great for posed shots but due to shutter lag it is not so great for flight shots. I try anyway and sometimes they come out ok.

In most of the cases I have seen, the lag was in the video display more than the shutter. At some point I started using my Nikon P/S by aiming it by eye, not the display, and it worked fine then and I had no problems with the timing. You can see it if you move the camera back and forth while looking at the display. It's no better on my DSLR, when I use the video display. Using the optical finder, no issues.

Brett

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2012, 08:07:01 PM »
With all this talk about zooms and such I thought I'd try a with and without zoom on a simple trainer I built for my son for those times when you can't get close to a model for a detailed shot. The only conversion I did was to bring it down in size to match Brett's 1200 width although I leave my camera set at the 16:9 aspect ratio. Setting was automatic point and shoot style :).

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 05:57:58 AM »
Brian,

Carbon fiber tuned pipe on a trainer? I should have learned to fly with you guys!

Thanks Brett for advice on using optical viewfinder not rear video screen for point&shoot for action shots.

-Chris

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here