News:

• June 03, 2024, 10:34:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another Spectra Knot - Anchor Bend?  (Read 3180 times)

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Another Spectra Knot - Anchor Bend?
« on: November 25, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »
I have effectively used Phil Cartier's figure-8 type knot on my 1/2a stuff with very good results.

I have looked at the rulebook approved 5-turn uni-knot, and the palomar knots but haven't used them yet.

I have wondered why the Anchor Bend, or Anchor knot hasn't been mentioned for use.  It seems like it would be a very good knot to use when tying off to a steel ring, thus eliminating the possible wear point on the spectra.  The Anchor (fisherman's) bend is Two half hitches in which the first half hitch is locked by a round turn.  Knot breaking strength is reportedly 70% of rated line strength.   It is also pretty easy to tie this knot to an accurate length.

Discuss.

http://www.animatedknots.com/anchor/index.php?Categ=typehitches&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Another Spectra Knot - Anchor Bend?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:36:01 PM »
My guess is that the Spectra is to slippery and would slip out. THats why the not that is approved is used, it resists the slipping.

I do NOT fly on SPectra, but i have fished with it a fair amount. No other knot I used would hold reliably with Spectra.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »
The 70% rated strength isn't very good, compared to some other knots. Also, some lines work better with one knot than others do. This past summer, I changed brands of fluorocarbon line for one fishing rod (baitcaster, for "Shaky Head" application). I'd been using a Palomar knot with zero issues, but immediately had two knot failures. I could tell because of the curly end on the line. I changed to a Trilene knot...or maybe it was an "Improved Clinch" knot. Pretty similar. Anyway, no more problems.

Major problems with knots are 1) the knot itself cutting the line and 2) scorching the line while tightening the knot. Different knots do different things better...or worse...making them more or less wonderful for each type of fishing line. The Anchor Bend looks to me like it would tend to cut the line. Google "fishing knots" if you want to experiment!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:05:10 AM »
Regarding scorching the line while tightening the knot:  This may be why it is recommended to wet the line before pulling tight to make the knot.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here