News:

• June 03, 2024, 04:47:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A look back on 2010  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A look back on 2010
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:57:43 PM »
Today was our first snowfall since last winter, so as I'm sitting inside, with nothing to do (I'm going to work on the Trivial Pursuit after dinner), I thought I would take a look back on 2010.

My low point of the year was when I watched my Oriental Plus fly into the ground on flight number 10.  After the pains of thinking the plane was overweight, and making it my best looking airplane to date, I lost it.  But after a few weeks of repairing and refinishing the airplane, I got it flying again, and it flew better than it did before the crash.  It was after a week of trying to figure out why the motor wouldn't run right, I sent it to Randy Smith to have him give it a once over, which resulted in him discovering there was a bent crankshaft.  I only got the motor back 2 days before we left for Brodak, and it still wouldn't run right.  After a day of stress, and finding a leak in the pipe, it still wouldn't run right, until we put the old prop back on, and only then did the motor perform well, oh and fixing the air leaks.

During Brodak, I had a GREAT week, I learned how to judge with Windy and grandpa, flew Joe Adamukso's Bucks 550, which had me look for even more corner in the Oriental when we got back.  During Brodak, I took 5th in advanced in classic with the Ares in a stiff breeze, 2nd in OTS advanced flying grandpa's Big Job.  This was the first time I had flown his plane since March when it wasn't even trimmed out yet, and I say I did pretty good with no practice with it.  And then I took 2nd in PAMPA advanced with the Oriental Plus, beating out Tim Stagg for the 2nd year in a row by 2 points.

When we got back from Brodaks, we spent much of the time just practicing, and me looking for more corner.  We fully sealed the hingelines, and I had more corner, and it was during a windy practice day did I realize my handle wasn't working worth a darn, because I almost lost the plane in vertical 8s, and I came 3 inches from the ground on my Horizontal 8s.  I had grandpa go back and get one of Windy's no bar handles for more power steering in the wind.  The result was an immediate improvement in my flying in both the wind, and in calm weather, it was much easier to fly the plane well, and I could corner the plane to my heart's desire.  It was towards the Lee contest did I begin to think if I should still be in advanced or move up to expert.

On the Saturday before the Lee contest, I spent a lot of time talking with Bill Hummel, and helping Steve Teerlink trim his Cardinal.  During then I took a practice flight and after that flight I asked Bill if I should be in expert, and he said yes.  That night I decided to make the move up.  Sunday dawned with rain showers and we spent a lot of time underneath the tents.  We did manage to fly one round, and for the conditions, and this being my first flight ever in the rain, I think I did well.  I caught a thermal in my square 8, and stalled on the last corner of the hourglass but that flight landed me 3rd place in expert, about 18 points behind Dick Carville, who took 1st.  The next day, we flew again, and I had a flight I thought was at least 15 points better than the rain flight.  If I had to choose 1 flight to remember the plane by, I would pick the flight in the rain in my first expert contest

The next 2 months had at least 4 days of rain a week, so that really hampered our flying time.  Since Lee, we only flew about 4 or 5 times.  The last day we flew, brought us one flight in heavy winds, and the Oriental Plus got through alright, and during the next flight and last flight of the year did I notice that I was having a major fuel leak coming from the tank, but we couldn't figure out where.  I decided not to worry about it because it could've been our last flight of the year, so I just flew, and it didn't affect the motor run any.  I got through the pattern, this time in stunt heaven air, and it was a decent flight, but no where near my best because I just hadn't practiced much.  Now thanks to that fuel leak, all the paint around the nose started crinkling, so now the motor is out of the plane, and we're refinishing the nose, and put back about 1/10th of an ounce less nose weight looking for that little extra corner, and making it just that much lighter.

Now I'm constructing next year's airplane, the Trivial Pursuit, and powering with a RO-Jett 76, and hoping it will be just that much better a flyer than the Oriental Plus.  And from now on, all the handles I will use will be Windy's style with NO bars out front, it's much easier to fly, and gives you power steering.

I just hope 2011 will be just as successful as this year, with 1 less crash, no fuel leaks, and hopefully (fingers crossed) my first NATS attendance!!
Matt Colan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A look back on 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:22:41 AM »
Looks like you made a good account of yourself young man.   I don't beleive I have seen a Windy Handle.  How much different is it than a Fancher Handle?   Now for an early MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your Granddad. H^^  Now that I thought of it, surely you can find something to do. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:37:10 AM »
Great account Matt! The plane is loking great and knowing your building skills have come along top notch, the coming season will be exciting! I like the old open faced handles myself, they just feel like you are a part of the plane and in better control. Happy holidays to everyone up there.--Tight corners to ya!---LOUIE

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:50:58 AM »
Always glad to see you and your family in the tent area and you on the circle.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:28:57 AM »
Looks like you made a good account of yourself young man.   I don't beleive I have seen a Windy Handle.  How much different is it than a Fancher Handle?   Now for an early MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your Granddad. H^^  Now that I thought of it, surely you can find something to do. LL~ LL~

I haven't seen a Fancher Handle consciously but a Windy handle has very short arms and gives a feeling of power steering when you go to turn the airplane, it takes much less effort to get the plane to turn, especially in the wind.

Matt Colan

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 06:17:52 PM »
I don't beleive I have seen a Windy Handle.  How much different is it than a Fancher Handle?

Unless things have changed a good bit over the past few years (which is VERY possible)
The "Windy" handle was basically a EZ-Just with small outlets and you would cut off the end and move the wire up for adjustment, or loosen a screw in the middle to adjust neutral.
This is the way the ones we had worked.

They looked the same as Ted's as far as layout but they do not have the hard point ends that Ted's have.

I hope that makes sense.
Aaron

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 07:00:02 PM »
Well, for me this year went by pretty quick.  It seemed like I was either at a contest or getting ready for the next one.  There are a number of things that stick our for me from this year and none of them are about me.  The first is going back to Brodak's with my son Michael and staying for the whole contest.  We camped and the weather was great.  Michael got to fly in his first OTS contest with the Flying Clown that he finished over the winter.  He also moved up to intermediate for this year based on his success from last year.  We did encounter a problem with an over lean engine run that did a number on the airplane as it met the ground after coming loose on the square 8.  A couple of hours in John's shop and a few trim flights and we were in business for the rest of the contest.  This was an outstanding father-son trip.  I hope that he remembers it.

Based on the issues with his current ride that we had at Brodak's I thought it was time to try something with a little more wing, engine and fuel load for the Nats.  The conclusion was to work with an ARC Cardinal.  Again, some more quality father-son time as the airplane took shape and we did the traditional all-nighter (3am bedtime) to get it ready for some trim flights the day before leaving for the Nats.  Unfortunately the system we had set up did not perform as we had hoped, so we ended up using the package on my ARF Cardinal that he had been practicing with while the ARC was being built.  It only took about 18 trim flights on Saturday to get that worked out.  Sunday was windy so he got to learn about line tension and typical Nats weather.  At the end of this early adventure he had some official Nats flights in OTS, 7th place in Intermediate, Pilot's Choice and Best Brodak Model trophies to take back home.

Then it was up to the L-pad to try flying with the "The Big Boys".  We were able to get a couple of practice flights in and everything seemed to be working out.  I thought that he did a pretty good job flying even though there were no other Juniors up there.  With that one wrapped up, he went to fly for the Walker Trophy (something that I have never had a chance at...yet) and managed to to finish in second place behind Bill Werewege.  Not bad at all in my eyes.  We walked away from this adventure with some more quality time together, a few more trophies and hopefully some good memories.

It was not too long after this that Michael managed to break his wrist and he was sidelined from flying as it was his flying arm that was broken.  During one of our practice sessions he decided to try flying left handed.  After a couple of low pull outs, he seemed to have a pretty good grip on flying this way.  With FCM coming up, he thought that he might be able to give the Beginner Pattern a shot.  After receiving approval from the management, he went on to finish in first place flying his Super Clown.  Another great meet for us.

We flew at a few more contests and had a good time together.  And that was what this year was for me.  I hope that he had as good a time as I did.  Next year will be a little different for us, but I am hoping that we get the chance to make some more good memories and keep flying together.

John Paris
John Paris

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »
" My low point of the year was when I watched my Oriental Plus fly into the ground on flight number 10.  After the pains of thinking the plane was overweight, and making it my best looking airplane to date, I lost it "

hiya Matt, Look forward to seeing you / Meeting you at the Nats in 2011..

Everyone has lowpoints, One thing you will learn ( painfully most likely.. ) is that the following quote : "making it my best looking airplane to date, I lost it.. " is so Very true of Many Many fliers.

This is by no means putting the " moz " on your new Trivial pursuit I hope it goes extremely well, this was more a point of the more compeditive and serious you get, the higher the stakes, the more likelyhood there is of loosing a model.. this is something you jsut need to deal with, thicken your skin - learn from your mistakes and move on.

When getting ready for the 2004 Worlds, I lost my No#1 model during practice, 3 weeks out from the contest when a bird flew through my lines, jagging it into the ground, completely destroyed the fuse. We did rebuild, we had no choice, but it was never the same and the results reflected that. It was heavier, and not as good.

Paul Walker lost his brand New mustang a week prior to that same contest - Some internal structural failure I beleive, again someone with his impecable planning and engineering still was able to turn a Brilliant model into tiny bits.

Sometimes, it doesnt even need to be ground causing problems... It could be something as simple as a Lincoln * WINK WINK ted *

Speaking of Trivial pursuits, I think the special edition went at that contest also.. 2004 - bad year for stunt..

About 4 years ago I was getting ready for a contest and was packing the car - had the model on the front lawn packing the car, put it down and went to the garage to get the flight box, came back out adn some guy had picked it up thinking i was throwing it out - he threw it into his trailer... I caught him 1/2 way up the road with other things in the Trailer - he was a garbage collector.. this was hardly rubbish I couldnt beleive it.

I find... all model have personality.. they have a soul.. a life of their own, they are like babies.. they grow into adults as the flights add up and it gets trimmed out and gains confidence. - I find when a model goes together really easily.... paints easily, weighs nothing, and everything goes right.. you will have problems down the track.. - its almost like models require a certian amount of problems or issues before everythign sings.. For example, my Worlds model went perfectly and I had major headaches.. Ive had other models give me problems during build for whatever reasons. that have gone onto 2000+ flights and seasons of service

Hope 2012 is a great year for you , keep us posted on your trivial pursuit and keep it up no matter what the outlook
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 08:22:38 AM »
Matt,

I appreciate your reflection on the year. You remind me of myself when I was your age, I could not get enough aviation from all sources. I remember hearing many times, not always in my presence......  n~ it is a shame he will find girls in a few years and another one will leave this great hobby.

Well....happy to say, I did find girls..... and I am still here y1. I can tell that you are here to stay as well, keep pushing to be the best you can be at what ever you do.

OH.......... and I am going to do everything I can this year to keep you from beating me by 2 darn points. Not sure I like being listed as a highlight from 2010  HB~>

Tim Stagg

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »
Matt,

I appreciate your reflection on the year. You remind me of myself when I was your age, I could not get enough aviation from all sources. I remember hearing many times, not always in my presence......  n~ it is a shame he will find girls in a few years and another one will leave this great hobby.

Well....happy to say, I did find girls..... and I am still here y1. I can tell that you are here to stay as well, keep pushing to be the best you can be at what ever you do.

OH.......... and I am going to do everything I can this year to keep you from beating me by 2 darn points. Not sure I like being listed as a highlight from 2010  HB~>

Tim,

I've discovered girls and I am still sticking with the hobby/sport, so I guess it does look like I may be here to stay.

And you will be beating me by way more than 2 points next year, we're skipping a year of Brodak's in order to get to the NATS, so you have a year to practice before we would see you again  VD~

Oh, and I swear when I flew the RC airplane, it was the first time I flew an RC plane in 4 years, and I did 4-leaf clovers, loops, squares, and snap rolls with it (I guess flying the CL pattern on the simulator has its benefits  ;D )
Matt Colan

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 03:36:05 PM »
This was a great year for me in CLPA.  My buddy Paul (Rootbeard) made me go to Brodak's with him this year.  What a blast.  I made my first flight in over 7 months in front of judges with a Ringmaster I had not flown in over a year.  I left out or reorganized the OTS pattern pretty much and laughed my a@# off.  You know your pattern sucked when the judges are laughing at you wondering what maneuver you will fly next.  Great therapy.  After a day of OTS and building a Junkyard Wars plane with a few unknown associates, Clancy Arnold, Jack Sheeks, and Paul Taylor, I decided it was time to fly my PAMPA plane I had finished in the room the night before.  It flew okay but needed some work.  No problem, just show up at the field early and get a few more flights in.  I was first up in advanced, without more practice flights, and even though I wore my color coordinating pink shirt, Dan Banjok and Mike Palko still judged me fairly.  It was my first pattern with a new plane and I was still having a blast.  Thanks Paul for making me go.

I flew some more contests with some more friends.  Went to Kentucky for Allen and Charlie's event and flew in Memphis at Lou and Jim's event.  By the last contest in El Dorado, Arkansas, my travel partner Lou Rankin noted I actually seemed to be having fun.

2010 was a great year for me and it was good to compete and relearn how to have fun. 

Thanks to you all.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 06:09:53 PM »
I have known about girls for some time, and I am still participating in model aviation.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 11:08:17 PM »
I have known about girls for some time, and I am still participating in model aviation.

Why does that not surpise me.  H^^

Dont under estimate the extra points you get when you get your partner to launch the model clad in a bikini.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 01:52:03 PM »
Yea, I made it past girls. Well, sort of. 10 years off to finish college, get married and have chillins.

My year was constricted. New job, less income, no vacation and some unexpected expenses served to restrict my traveling budget. Next year should be better. Might even be able to make it to Vancouver Canada next time. Possibly even Edmonton.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Eric Viglione

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »
Gurlz are kewel Matt! I took a 13yr vacation from C/L when I got married in 1987... well, that vacation probably started a little earlier while we were dating now that I think about it...maybe 86... plus I started my business... anywho, where was I?  n~ See, that's what happens when you start thinking about gurlz!  LL~ Ya get distracted! My 2010 was pretty good flying goal wise, but I have a feeling 2011 is gonna be a bear!  010!

EricV

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 02:47:19 PM »
Matt you inspre me....

I am 26 yrs old introduced to this hobby when I was 4 with my dad holding me in his arms as he flew a 1/2a guillows trainier.

I started flying at hte age of 10 with a Cox pt-19 for which I still love ( NOBODY LAUGH ITS A CLASSIC LMAO ). My interests grew elsewhere over the years in the last year I jumped back into this hobby strong with overhauling .049's for a few peeps. And building a Lil Satan and Baby ringmaster. I have a Old Fokker that I acquired from Dalton Hammet ( thanks Dalt ) and that is officially my first big bird. I have a choice between a Enya .35 or a Evo .36 ( THanks Allan And Gil ). 

But anyways its jsut great to see a young one dominating this hobby and setting examples. It inspirates me to start the Old Fokker and get into the big stuff and eventually OTS that I am interested in.

Build on. Fly on.  Dont ever stop!

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 06:39:07 PM »
  I like girls.. heeheeheh
  I've even known some personally!  hehehe
  Now where was I????

Oh yeah- keep it up Matt, you are an inspiration for us retreads who like to believe our prowess at the handle in our youth was close to yours! ( not even close in reality!)
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 11:16:17 PM »
Quote Dirty harry..

" Who's we sucker.. "

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here